Douglas Emmett Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Douglas Emmett Reviews

Updated 6 Nov 2019

4.0
Douglas Emmett CEO Jordan L. Kaplan (no image)
Jordan L. Kaplan
Pros
  • "Very excited to be working for a great company like Douglas Emmett(in 12 reviews)

• "The learning experience: DE encourages personal growth and learning all aspects of commercial real estate/property management(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "No cons yet noted working with DE(in 14 reviews)

• "Inconsistency of Management; very low pay for the job that's being done(in 10 reviews)

1. "Company dedicated to producing the best results"

Current Employee - Property Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Douglas Emmett full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

1. Family-like atmosphere 2. Structured environment 3. Limitless growth potential 4. Opportunity to learn both the Management and Ownership side of Commercial Property Managment.

Cons

1. The amount of paperwork that is required limits the time that the Manager gets to spend meeting with the Tenants.

Advice to Management

IT has been a pleasure working for and growing with the company.

Douglas Emmett2019-11-07

"Friendly Employees and Good Benefits"

I have been working at Douglas Emmett full-time for less than a year

Pros

Ever since I interviewed here, I have had a very positive experience. The employees here are so supportive, and the training was very thorough. The company offers good pay, insurance benefits, paid time off, and work perks (discounts at theme parks etc.). I've also been told several times that when they are hiring for the administrative assistant position, they are hiring for the next manager, so upward mobility is... a focus.

Cons

The time of hourly employees is respected, but like many salary employees at other companies, it seems that the salaried employees are expected to be on call at all times including off hour weekends and lunch breaks. However, as I am an hourly employee, I am not speaking from my own experience.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work, and give salaried employees some weekend-time!

Douglas Emmett2019-10-04
  3. "Great Company To Work For"

Current Employee - Assistant Community Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Douglas Emmett full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits, salary is competitive, move up opportunities, friendly staffing, corporate style that owns and manages their own properties, and company is very employee and resident oriented

Cons

Location of properties are only in southern California and Hawaii and travel time to get to work

Douglas Emmett2019-10-10
  4. "Good"

I have been working at Douglas Emmett full-time for less than a year

Pros

Room to grow within the company

Cons

buildings need a lot of work

Douglas Emmett2019-10-04
  5. "Incredible office, good people, great company"

Current Employee - Analyst in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Douglas Emmett full-time for less than a year

Pros

The corporate office has an incredible view of the Santa Monica pier, the health benefits are good (they get expensive if you have dependents), and the people are incredible friendly and nice. There are high expectations in terms of work output, but they are reasonable. Hours can be long, but are never unreasonable. Many people have been at the company for a long period of time.

Cons

Pay is on the lower end

Douglas Emmett2019-10-03
  6. "Positive vibe, fun people, healthy & productive environment. oh yea and amazing beach view"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Douglas Emmett full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've had a great experience with this company from the start. Had a good chat with the recruiter before the interview, interview went great, offered me what I was asking salary wise. In comparison with other jobs I've had I can say that the environment here is very positive and it comes from the top, leadership is humble and involved. The company does a lot a little things that help keep the morale positive as well.... We have "Daily DX" which stands for daily exchange with the entire floor, 5-10 minute chats on daily topics the company chooses that are in line with their vision & principles. Very fun and positive thing that reminds people daily that we're all on the same team. The workload is healthy, there are times when it piles up a little more than others, but overall good. The corporate office has the best view in of the LA. Location is great with unlimited food options, shopping on the 3rd st promenade on lunch . Parking is easy is not something we have to pay for. As far as people, the office is very diverse. Many different backgrounds, ages, etc. There are a lot of people who have been here a very long time and there are also a lot of new people since there has been a lot of recent growth. Just based on my short time here I can tell that they promote from within. This seems like a place where you want to be long term.

Cons

Due to the location in Santa Monica there is some traffic getting in/out of here. Everything is what you make of it. I come early to go the gym and avoid traffic. win- win.

Advice to Management

Two thumbs up.

Douglas Emmett2019-10-03
  7. "Good and Bad"

I have been working at Douglas Emmett full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great training and a path to climb. The company supports your growth and aspires to promote from within.

Cons

It all depends on who you're working with/under. While the overall company has a vision, what is that vision worth if not practiced at the actual workplace? Many of the DE property managers aren't familiar enough with the various systems necessary to run each building. Admin and Assistant Property Managers do a lot of work for not a lot of pay.

Advice to Management

Give lower level employees an outlet that if their immediate supervisors aren't able to perform their duties, they can report that without having to report it to the supervisor in question. Don't buy more buildings than you can staff with employees who came up through your ranks and understand the ways the company wants its properties managed.

Douglas Emmett2019-10-14

"Does Not Care"

Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Douglas Emmett full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Use it for experience and move on.

Cons

Low morale, below standard wages. Mediocre benefits and always short staffed and they do it on purpose.

Advice to Management

Stop fooling employees with promises of bonuses and high pay increases when at the end all you get is a spit on your face after every performance review. Nothing worst than to work under the supervision of people who are afraid to make decisions because they feel their job is on the line. Always walking on nut shells

Douglas Emmett2019-10-30

"Discriminatory/Harassing/Retaliatory...etc."

Former Employee - Senior Property Accountant II in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Douglas Emmett full-time for less than a year

Pros

Proximity to Santa Monica Beach/Pier, maybe!

Cons

- Blatant discrimination; verbal, physical, mental, and sexual harassment; collusion; and retaliation. - Nepotism, unethical, and illegal business practices. - Expensive health insurance and misleading benefits illustration on the employment offer — watch out before you sign any document! - Poor/sub-standard pay. - Wage theft — unpaid overtime, denied lunch, and rest breaks. -... Unsafe/unhealthy/unsanitary/carcinogenic/toxic/hostile work environment, parking structures, and culture. - If you’re injured on the job, they will retaliate and fire you. Therefore, make sure you concurrently consult with/hire a competent Workers Comp attorney to protect your comprehensive labor and civil rights.

Advice to Management

You’ll be held accountable in accordance with all local, state, and federal laws!

Douglas Emmett2019-10-07

"Good move"

Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Douglas Emmett full-time for more than a year

Pros

This company promotes from within. Was moved to this position in a little over a year after beginning as an admin.

Cons

There should be a training program for other people in the company besides admins

Douglas Emmett2019-07-07