Douglas College Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated 19 April, 2019

Douglas College President & CEO Dr. Kathy Denton
Dr. Kathy Denton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "All faculty and staff and management get free use of the gym and most get lots of vacation time and lots of paid holidays" (in 5 reviews)

• "Flexible work week and work-life balance is excellent" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Senior management grandfathered in, out of touch with today's world" (in 6 reviews)

• "Very difficult to move up within the Company" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Administrator"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Coquitlam, BC
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Coquitlam, BC

I have been working at Douglas College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work environment, Pro-Active Management, HR is helpful, Staff are great, team players

Cons

None at all, place is awesome!!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!!

2. "Dead end"

Current Employee - Executive Director Lab Technician in New Westminster, BC
    Current Employee - Executive Director Lab Technician in New Westminster, BC

I have been working at Douglas College part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mostly good, intellectual people to work with, great courses study benefits, okay work-life balance.

Cons

Management lacks vision, unions are bureaucratic , very segregated culture almost a cast system.

Advice to Management

Make internal collaboration tools more open and participatory. Even a simple wiki or a gitlab would work wonders to integrate the staff and faculty.

3. "Beware of The Training Group"

Former Employee - Training Group Employee in Maple Ridge, BC
    Former Employee - Training Group Employee in Maple Ridge, BC

I worked at Douglas College full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good learning experience on the job
    Good salary to start
    Great team
    Career Development opportunities

Cons

Favourtism - you may be the "flava" now but who knows when you're not
    Toxic work environment, stemming from management
    Management are too close, "clicky" - they put someone to be a manager without leadership skills
    No flex days, no work-life balance in Training Group
    ManuLife sucks, by the way

Advice to Management

I worked in employment services for 10 years. Never have I experienced, in a department of a highly reputable educational institution, to be so I expected to be so unprofessional. So many instances when management weren't around, I was new and had to "put out fires" when it was not my job to. Don't get me started with "favourtism" and "mood swings" with some of these so-called managers. My advise is get rid of these type of managers that create toxic workplace environments and then maybe you'd be lucky to keep good workers. Best of luck to your WorkBC contracts! Employment services are a small community. Words spread fast and furious.

"Training Group"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maple Ridge, BC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maple Ridge, BC

I worked at Douglas College full-time

Pros

- staff members knowledgeable and supportive of one another

Cons

- If you like micromanagement and being reminded that you are 'inferior' to management then enjoy...
    - The lack of transparency and support given to staff is horrid. I have never seen anyone micro manage and mismanage a staff so terribly, and speak in such a condescending tone -- yet when it comes time to actually support your staff members and encourage unity, she locks her self away in her office.
    - Assumed rumors and feedback about Maple Ridge office were exaggerated; they are nothing in comparison to experiencing it. On the plus side, watching staff members leave and find jobs that aren't necessarily better has been nice, because it validates a simple saying -- 'people don't leave bad jobs, they leave bad managers.'

Advice to Management

- transparency
    - acknowledging the staff's continual handwork; encouraging rather than discouraging ideas that you don't agree with. Explain rather then shut down.
    - Empathy and ability to genuinely care for your staff
    - Acknowledge your staff's abilities rather than assume certificate is enough validation of qualifications to do a job.

"Traing Group Staff"

Current Employee - Training Group Staff in New Westminster, BC
    Current Employee - Training Group Staff in New Westminster, BC

I have been working at Douglas College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good salary to start, benefits, pension, team/colleagues

Cons

Long hours, little to no work-life balance, some toxic staff, unempathetic management team

Advice to Management

I've always heard critical things about working under the Training Group and some of them were true. People LOVE what they DO (see the Douglas College motto I put there?) but the staff are overworked, micro-managed and seems highly competitive, especially those who are at management level. You know what - not everyone wants to be in management because some staff love working with clients more. However, teamwork, trust and relationship building need to actually work together to have a good and positive working environment. Clients sense and observe those things. I expected working for a college that they would have these fundamental principles when it comes to creating a healthy team - I was sorely disappointed. It makes me question whether I should stay here for the long haul. My tip for management - read The 5 Languages of Workplace Appreciation. This will change your staff and team for the better. Since you're an educational institution that inspires learning, I highly recommend you all read it. DO inspire PLEASE.

"Bullying ok at the LC"

Former Employee - Service Coordinator in New Westminster, BC
    Former Employee - Service Coordinator in New Westminster, BC

I worked at Douglas College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some nice people. Helping the students is rewarding.

Cons

Bullying allowed in the learning centre and systemic attempts to ignore the actual problem.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the actual problem and stop letting everyone else on the team go when there is one bully in the workplace.

"Peer Tutor - Learning Centre"

I worked at Douglas College part-time

Pros

- easy to get hired
    - comprehensive training for new tutors
    - flexible hours

Cons

- low pay
    - conflicts within management in the past few years has negative trickle down effect on tutors... tension etc

"Security and benefits/pension"

I have been working at Douglas College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

BCGEU staff at Douglas are provided a level of job security that is becomming rare (especially in BC's lower mainland). Staff receive decent medical benefits, life insurance, a pension, union representation, free credits to take a few courses per semester, access to professional development funding and opportunities, and some are given the opportunity to work a modified or flex week.

Cons

BCGEU staff at Douglas are the lowest paid employees when compared to their post-secodary counterparts (i.e. other academic colleges in the lower mainland). Although internal cadidates should have first consideration when BCGEU jobs are posted (as long as they meet the required qualifications), it feels difficult to move around. The company is very siloed, and communication is difficult. There seems to be a feeling of stagnation, and that growth within the company (especially if you are BCGEU and do not have a masters degree) is not possible. A good company should want to retain hard-working, resilient employees, and want to provide them with opportunities to grow and thrive. Unfortunately, after 5 years of employment, many BCGEU staff view leaving the company as their only recourse.

I would recommend the college to a friend who is looking for a starter job. But I would warn her not to get too comfortable. She should start actively look for opportunities outside the college at around the 3-year mark.

Advice to Management

Make it easier for hiring managers to become aware of talent in other departments. People can become stagnant when they stay in a single staff position (or department) too long, and this can lead to dissatisfaction and, at worst, toxicity. Most of the required qualifications are transferable across job postings, and many tasks are trainable. Job swapping could be a good way to keep employees engaged. And management could consider networking opportunities, so staff members can get to know hiring managers (to be clear: the purpose of this kind of networking would be to make managers aware of the talent they already have under their roof).

9. "Good Employer"

I worked at Douglas College full-time

Pros

Great place to work! Would recommend to a friend who was looking to start their administrative career.

Cons

Need more opportunities for growth

10. "Instructor"

I have been working at Douglas College full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Good colleagues.

Cons

Too much work and top-down decision making.