Douglas College Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated Oct 22, 2019

3.5
Douglas College CEO Dr. Kathy Denton
Dr. Kathy Denton
Pros
  • "Mostly good, intellectual people to work with, great courses study benefits, okay work-life balance(in 7 reviews)

• "nice people who like their jobs and great location with good benefits and okay wages(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  1. "Very good work environment"

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in New Westminster, BC

I have been working at Douglas College full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very good environment Very nice people

Cons

Not challenging and Old Technology.

Advice to Management

Very good

Douglas College2019-07-31

August 12, 2019HR

Happy to read that you like the work environment and people at the College. New technology is on the horizon.

2. "Good place to work if you go to school there"

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in New Westminster, BC

I have been working at Douglas College part-time for less than a year

Pros

Especially convenient to your schedule if you go to school there already. As a teaching assistant, you're not expected to do that much.

Cons

Pay is pretty low, but factoring in the time you actually work, it's worth it

Douglas College2019-10-22
  3. "Faculty Position at Douglas College"

Current Employee - Project Manager in New Westminster, BC

I have been working at Douglas College full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

- Stable position. Managers are great. - Tim Hortons on site.

Cons

- Lots of bureaucracy/layers/processes - takes a long time to get things accomplished. - Not the greatest benefits program.

Douglas College2019-10-14
  4. "Evaluation Douglas"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in New Westminster, BC

I have been working at Douglas College full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good environment, less pressure than other companies

Cons

Not a high salary and the rotation or changes are limited.

Advice to Management

Increase salaries

Douglas College2019-07-31
  5. "Avoid, if possible"

Former Employee - Officer in New Westminster, BC

I worked at Douglas College full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits Location Known brand Good place to start your career Parking

Cons

Hierarchical structure, managers are set in their archaic ways, poor salary, zero communication, lack of inclusiveness.

Advice to Management

Many of your departments do not have even one staff who is a person of color. They leave or cannot renew their teaching positions or have never been hired. Find out why.

Douglas College2019-08-02

August 12, 2019HR

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to read that you appreciated what the College offers in terms of benefits. location and parking facilities, and that you view the College as a good place to start careers. The College is continuously striving towards more diversity and inclusiveness and it is alarming for us if there is indeed a department that is not diverse. Thank you for the advice.

6. "student assistant"

I worked at Douglas College part-time

Pros

easy daily tasks , trouble shooting students' code

Cons

could be bored if you have a long day

Douglas College2019-06-04

August 12, 2019HR

Thanks for your review. We are happy you had the opportunity to be one of the College's Student Assistants and we hope to be able to have the opportunity to provide more challenging work to you when you finish your studies.

"Truly deserves the Top Employer Award!"

I have been working at Douglas College full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lives up to its motto of "Do What You Love!" The culture is great. The work environment is empowering and the core values of Douglas College aligns with my own core values. I also love that creativity is encouraged, passion is commonplace and the collegiality is unifying. I feel I am appreciated and allowed to take initiative to get things accomplished. On top of these are the excellent benefits and perks - I... have never paid a single cent on dental work or eyeglasses. Health coverage is excellent as well.

Cons

I have not experienced anything negative.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Douglas College2019-05-17

June 4, 2019HR

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We are happy to read that you're having a very positive experience at the College.

"Average"

Former Employee - Cashiers

I worked at Douglas College full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good colleagues. Supportive. Helpful and kind.

Cons

Terrible management. They need to pay attention to their employees.

Douglas College2019-05-24

August 12, 2019HR

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to read that you enjoyed working with supportive, helpful and kind colleagues. We will look into your comment regarding management in your area.

"What do you value most?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Westminster, BC

I have been working at Douglas College full-time

Pros

Just knowing what Douglas is like in terms of community, work-life balance, perks and culture, I was surprised to see a number of really negative reviews here. But turns out it’s just one area whereas being a part of Douglas means having secure employment with nice people around you and sense of purpose in your work life. You will be a part of the community of educators contributing to someone’s learning. What can... be better than having a meaningful career? Besides that, you get extended benefits, pension, free access to gym and library, ongoing opportunities for professional development (lots of seminars and training sessions offered here!), and smart people to learn from. When people ask where I work I am proud to say it’s Douglas.

Cons

Douglas is a large public organization which means career advancement is limited. If you want to be promoted, you have to serve your time and make sure you constantly acquire new marketable skills. If you lack required credentials or leadership training/experience, you will not be given a more advanced role just because you are already here. With good reputation, they get enough external interest in vacancies to be... able not to tolerate lack of qualifications.

Advice to Management

Help people who already work here plan their career advancement and mentor them. Sometimes employees simply do not know where they lack credentials or what other areas their skills could be utilized. Be an educator not just for your students but also for people who work here.

Douglas College2019-05-03

May 16, 2019HR

Thank you for taking the time to write a thoughtful review. We appreciate hearing your personal experience and are glad to learn you enjoy the community and proudly say you work at Douglas. We are continuously working on providing professional development opportunities to employees to help them towards their career goals.

"Top Employer for a reason!"

Current Employee - Coordinator

I have been working at Douglas College full-time

Pros

- Work/life balance - Family like community; they really make you feel like you're part of a family - Kind and understanding co-workers! - Great benefits!! - Supportive supervisor; willing to help me succeed - Amazing food spots around the campuses

Cons

None that I can think of if I'm going to be honest.

Advice to Management

None - just keep doing what you're doing and continue to strive for happy employees.

Douglas College2019-04-25

May 16, 2019HR

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We are happy to hear you're enjoying your experience at the College.

Found 63 reviews