Disney Store Employee Reviews about "cast members"

Updated Dec 9, 2020

3.8
Disney Store CEO Bob Iger
Bob Iger
Pros
Cons
  • "Many current cast members aren't really helpful or care for seasonal workers, want to know if you can take their "shift" instead of actually working(in 34 reviews)

• "Only employs part time unless you are manager or assistant manager, so don't expect alot of hours except during the holidays(in 28 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "cast members"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great places to work"

Former Employee - Cast Member - Part Time

I worked at Disney Store part-time for more than a year

Pros

Cast member perks good staff energetic fulfilling magic good vacation time

Cons

Holiday time off blackout busy low pay not enough hours

2. "Working hard to keep up with the quality experience Disney represent."

Former Employee - Cast Member - Part Time in Hamilton, ON

I worked at Disney Store part-time for more than a year

Pros

Making little guests happy and the magic. Being able to work for the company that is as successful as they are and learn how to be the best in guest service.

Cons

Not getting enough hours and being in constant flux daily because of store earnings (as a part time cast member). And not enough room for growth

Continue reading

3. "Magical place to work."

4.0

I worked at Disney Store part-time

Pros

Absolutely wonderful cast members. Everyone was friendly.

Cons

Not enough hours during seasonal times.

"Good for a second or starter retail job"

Current Employee - Cast Member - Part Time

I have been working at Disney Store part-time for more than a year

Pros

-If you love Disney, this will be particularly exciting for you. -Generally, the people you work with are decent and I've had some pretty fantastic managers at my location (though I know this is by no means ubiquitous; Managers really help set the tone for the store so definitely trust your gut during the interview, if you don't jive with the Manager this will probably be an extremely difficult job). You'll have a common point of reference (Disney) so that helps to build some degree of camaraderie between Cast Members, which is incredibly helpful if you're working while sick or in a bad mood, or during the November-January rush. You can pump each other up because you're all aware that maintaining the magical, peppy attitude Disney asks for can be difficult 24/7/365. -Nice perks. Discount and passes. Particularly useful if you find yourself purchasing lots of things for kids. -Option for volunteering in the local community with other Cast Members. How well this goes over depends on the person organizing it, so experiences will definitely vary store-to-store. (Note: Volunteering isn't a requirement of working at the Store, but some might like it.)

Cons

-The pay is not something to write home about, especially considering the level of expectations placed on you (which can be terribly intimidating at first, or when ill and working. Being peppy all the time can be hard.). Best as a second job or just to get some retail experience (you will definitely get all the pros and cons of retail). -Little opportunity for career advancement so if that's what you're seeking don't start as a Cast Member because you'll get nowhere (again, best as a second job or just to get some retail experience). Everything below is mostly manager-dependent, so if you have a good managerial team you'll have a fantastic time, if you don't then you won't. I have a pretty fantastic managerial team, but here are some concerns that I can see being more problematic with a different team: -Hours are incredibly varied and you get a ton of on-call shifts (2-3 a week), which makes planning your week out difficult. (Seasonal Cast Members be particularly wary of this. Depending on how busy the store is, you probably won't have many hours at all.) Again, best as a second job or just to get some retail experience. (Sidenote: There's a lot of turn over, since most employees are postsecondary students. Be prepared for those changes.) If your managers are good, they will be understanding about the need for some flexibility or stability, depending on your needs, and will do what they can to facilitate it. -Managers across stores can be cliquey, which can result in some awkwardness for non-managers (witnessing the gossip your managers participate in about other managers in the district can be awkward). I wasn't terribly bothered by it myself, but I find it easy to ignore gossip and cliquey attitudes. I know others were more bothered by it. However, my managers are pretty awesome and mentioning that the gossip makes you uncomfortable would likely help. They would at least move the gossip to the office. -Some favouritism, nothing unexpected. People tend to gravitate towards people who bring treats or visit frequently when not on-shift (which some other Cast Members do, I've never been the type to do either), so there's some minor favouritism shown to those individuals. In my store it's nothing major or worrisome, it doesn't affect scheduling or anything, but I can imagine it being worse for other stores.

5. "Disapointing"

1.0
    Current Employee - Team Leader

I have been working at Disney Store part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Used to have great perks. Cast members are genuine. Possibility for magical moments.

Cons

Management doesn't care about people. Pay. Safety.

Continue reading
  6. "Fun if you're a big Disney fan"

I worked at Disney Store part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fellow cast members are always amazing, fairly flexible when it comes to when to work, get to make people happy

Cons

There is a lot of pressure to be happy and perfect, as that is many peoples opinions of the company. Often harder work than many expect.

7. "loved this job"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Dartford, England

I worked at Disney Store part-time

Pros

Lovely managers and Cast members. the atmosphere was friendly.

Cons

easier to do this job if your a Disney buff.

8. "Great Place to Start"

Former Employee - Cast Member - Part Time

I worked at Disney Store part-time

Pros

This was my first job, and my fellow cast members were all very nice and friendly.

Cons

The place I worked at specifically had this weird odor.

9. "Great in so many ways, bad in so many others"

Former Employee - Senior Cast Member

I worked at Disney Store full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The brand itself is great. Good perks - discount and access to the Disney theme parks. One of the better retail jobs out there.

Cons

No assistance with progression Too much is required of the 'Senior Cast Member' role - no store manager or district manager seems to agree on what the role should entail. The hourly rate is not worth it, you are expected to perform as a manager for a few pennies more than regular Cast Members. Irregularity of shifts and hours given to work.

Continue reading
  10. "Former Seasonal Cast Member"

4.0
    Former Employee - Cast Member in San Jose, CA

I worked at Disney Store part-time

Pros

You'll encounter the most die-hard Disney fans

Cons

Strict dress code that cast members must adhere to

Viewing 1 - 10 of 79 English Reviews