Devon Energy Employee Reviews about "oil and gas"

Updated Oct 2, 2020

3.9
Devon Energy President, CEO, and Director John Richels
John Richels
Pros
Cons
  • "It's oil and gas, so very volatile(in 15 reviews)

• "Not enough transparency from upper management, tend to hide things until last minute(in 11 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "oil and gas"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Talent Management in Human Resources"

Former Employee - Relocation Specialist in Calgary, AB

I worked at Devon Energy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Best Employer, high level awareness of employee concerns, develops employees to move forward, provided flexibile exercise facilities and programs for employees to maintain good health, Great Christmas Parties, Social Club Activities, Employee Benefits and Bonuses, Employees were encouraged to be community volunteers , approacable managment, Great work life balance

Cons

Oil and Gas products fluctuate in the market and this has an effect human resources and the longetvity of a career. This applies to all companies in this market.

Continue reading
  2. "Public Affairs and Communications"

I worked at Devon Energy full-time

Pros

Great corporate culture. People really love coming to work every day. Gives employees the oil and gas experience with a mom and pop family culture.

Cons

Limited room for advancement. Pace can be slow at times.

3. "Supply Chain Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Calgary, AB

I worked at Devon Energy for less than a year

Pros

I believe that the culture at Devon was the best I've worked at in terms of oil and gas. I've worked at other oil and gas companies, and I felt as though people were competing with each other. However, at Devon, everyone was very friendly and open to help and mentor. The pay at Devon was great, too. Especially as an intern. Also, there were lots of opportunities to get involved with the community by volunteering along with other great events. Finally, the way the company hires on interns was a great process. We all had a day long event, where we worked together in groups, sat through a few good presentations, and even at the end of the term we all got to do another cool activity together.

Cons

The only downside I can think of was that during my work term, there wasn't enough projects going around. There were times when I was sitting at my cubicle with all my work done, waiting to hear back from management regarding my request for more work.

4. "Supply Chain Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Devon Energy

Pros

- The people were awesome and laid back - Work culture was friendly - Management always looking to give you more projects to grow from - The benefits were great - The experience was great - An overall great experience as an intern as the program was well established for summer and co-op students

Cons

- Can be laid off sooner than a lot of other oil and gas companies if downturn occurs. I heard of a lot of people I used to work with be laid off from that company.

Continue reading
  5. "Excellent internship experience"

Engineering Intern in Calgary, AB

I worked at Devon Energy

Pros

Devon is one of the best oil and gas companies to work for in Calgary. The people there are top notch.

Cons

The internship program is not as structured as at other companies. It's up to the student to show initiative, set goals and self-monitor performance.

6. "Great company"

Current Employee - Accountant in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Devon Energy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing company. Pays better than most. Great senior leadership. Great culture.

Cons

Oil and gas is cylical but that's about it.

7. "Former Devon Energy employee"

Former Employee - RIM Analyst

I worked at Devon Energy full-time

Pros

Great benefits, good life/work balance.

Cons

Oil and gas sector job

8. "Great Work Environment"

Current Intern - Financial Operations Intern

I have been working at Devon Energy for more than a year

Pros

Great employees Always kept in the loop with how the company is performing Good benefits

Cons

It's oil and gas, so very volatile

9. "Great"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at Devon Energy full-time

Pros

Good culture for young employees

Cons

Oil and gas is having a pretty tough time

"Records Management"

Intern in Pune

I worked at Devon Energy for more than a year

Pros

The Records Management department instilled a lot of trust and independence in the position over time. It began with thorough training/shadowing to become familiar with the ins and outs of oil and gas records management, and ultimately turned into allowing me to be very independent once they saw what kind of work I could produce. The pay was generous, and they allowed me to work part-time during the school year (in addition to full-time summers) while most interns only are allowed to work summers. They also always made it clear that school came before work, and I respected that very much because they were always understanding and flexible with my schedule. Lastly, I was never "pigeon-holed", I was exposed to various aspects within the department so it kept things interesting. I was also offered benefits after being there awhile, which was very nice for being an intern.

Cons

Honestly, there weren't many major downsides that I can think of. The supervisors and employees within the department were all very nice and helpful. A significant downturn in the oil industry led to a round of layoffs, so unfortunately I was not able to secure employment in the long-term, but the company can not be blamed. It happened at a lot of firms, not just Devon. I wish management was a little more straight-forward about the layoff situation rather than keep things vague, but other than that it was a wonderful experience that I thoroughly enjoyed.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 23 Reviews