DAVIDsTEA Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

DAVIDsTEA CEO Joel Silver
Joel Silver

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Store Managers are expendable no real work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Hard to move up to full-time hours, if that's your goal (in 19 reviews)

1. "It's been better"

Current Employee - Key Holder in Ottawa, ON
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at DAVIDsTEA part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a fabulous environment to really up your game when it comes to live marketing, sales, and product knowledge.

In addition to the high-energy sales team, there is a ton of behind-the-scenes work that needs to be completed effectively and well in order to ensure the retail locations operate smoothly. Willing and engaged team members learn the most and will get a better understanding of what drives the retail industry and what it takes to be successful. You tend to find the most engaging, fun, curious, and passionate people working at DavidsTea. You find that those who started as Tea Guides tend to have the most brand loyalty.

When new hire training is done thoroughly and the right people are brought onto the team, the entire brand shines! The DavidsTea experience coupled with the stellar product line is what excites both new and returning customers.

Cons

Development is hit and miss. You have to be (professionally) aggressive to move up within the company because more senior positions are being increasingly filled from outside the company, leading to some frustration among those looking to advance their careers.

Management (managers and assistant managers) is also hit and miss. It can often be a revolving door of individuals who either haven't been properly trained in advance of their start date, were not the right fit, or do not grasp the severity of the consequences of their actions when key issues affecting their team are not addressed well and in a timely manner (scheduling, campaign awareness, performance reviews, conflict resolution, etc.).

Wages are also significantly less than other retailers (both in a similar industry and/or who sell products at similar price points). This holds true at all levels of seniority at the retail level. Raises are based on performance, however even those with a stellar track record will only see increases of less than a dollar per year.

While the perks of the staff discount, free beverages while on shift, and a pleasant working environment are initially enticing, at the end of the day, if you're not making enough to cover your expenses and they're constantly cutting shifts due to not making the weekly or daily goals, it quickly becomes a major issue. This has caused countless dedicated, fabulous employees to become stressed and either get a second job or look for a new one entirely. I've lost so many excellent coworkers to this.

Advice to Management

Pay your people well and support them. Invest in your teams through staff meetings, useful training sessions, and give those who prove their abilities opportunities for growth. As a human-centric company, you can't afford not to.

2. "Only in your 20s"

Former Employee - Manager in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Manager in Vancouver, BC

I worked at DAVIDsTEA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun, dynamic and educational.

Cons

Completely adopted the Starbucks and LuluLemon sales models and growth expectations. As soon as they went public they lost all strengths they had for the management support and there no longer was any considerations for unique community contributions or staff perks. Can feel cult-ish in a LuluLemon way if you drink too much of the koolaid... or tea in this case.

Advice to Management

Think local.

3. "Okay for a part time retail job"

Former Employee - Tea Guide
    Former Employee - Tea Guide

I worked at DAVIDsTEA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked at Davidstea for almost 2 years. It's a great job to do during school, 2 or 3 shifts a week. Not so great to do full time.

- Usually friendly coworkers

- Individuality (piercings, tattoos, coloured hair) is widely accepted and encouraged.

- Most of the customers are easygoing and friendly

- Great customer service and barista experience

- You actually do learn a lot about tea types, how to properly brew, ingredients, etc.

- Employees get a 50% discount

- Unlimited hot or iced tea to drink while you work

Cons

- Corporate doesn't care for you at all. They give unrealistic tasks and sales goals, make new rules with no regard on how it will make things more difficult for the employees, and moving up in the company or requesting a pay raise takes forever.

- Schedules are not flexible. Managers will sometimes schedule you on days you booked off, and it's your problem to find someone to cover it. It is a big deal and made to seem almost impossible if you need a shift covered.

- 3 hour shifts are oddly frequent.

- The store has gotten insanely obsessed with sales and manipulation tactics to make customers spend more money. You're constantly being watched by managers and assistant managers to make sure you're following the proper ways of selling product.

- You're expected to be happy and chipper 100% of the time, and giving a sample to every single customer that walks in, no matter how busy it is, while constantly pestering customers to the point where they become annoyed. Employees would frequently get in trouble for "not smiling enough". Entry level positions are paid slightly over minimum wage, while expected to go above and beyond in sales. Keyholders and Assistant Managers don't get paid nearly enough either.

- Many of the employees can be quite cliquey, cutthroat and catty. Employees in higher up positions usually abuse their position to avoid doing basic, menial tasks. I've seen new employees get fired after their first two weeks just because assistant managers found them boring, or simply didn't like them.

- It can be exhausting work. Standing up for 7 hours, constantly talking to customers and needing to act incredibly cheerful can be very emotionally and physically draining.

Advice to Management

- Pay your employees a higher wage if you expect them to be so aggressive in sales and customer service.

- Think about your business decisions and how it affects the retail workers.

- Avoid cliquey hiveminds within the stores.

5. "Terrible! Don't do it!"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at DAVIDsTEA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

u get 50% of discount on everything!

Cons

It's management against tea guides!
    zero communication among manager and his/her assistant.
    My manager treated tea guides terribly and wanted me to do the same.
    Store manager encouraged tea guides to taddle-tail believing "this way I can figure out what's going on at my store when I am not here"
    Gossipy environment
    super pushy despite what they say during interview
    you are dead to ur manager if u don't make sales goals
    long hours . don't be surprised if you are asked to clock out and keep working! (i know its illegal, they still do it)
    horrible pay for what u have to do
    we had no bathroom and no fridge at our store.Solution: don't drink any water on merch flip nights!

Advice to Management

try to be professional
    to DMS: don't hire store managers who have no respect for other people!

6. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Tea Educator in Calgary, AB
    Former Employee - Tea Educator in Calgary, AB

I worked at DAVIDsTEA (More than a year)

Pros

They train you well, making it easier to succeed as a sales person and thus creating a better work environment

Cons

I couldnt get the hours I needed so I eventually had to leave.

Advice to Management

Look to hire management internally.

7. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Tea Guide in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Tea Guide in Toronto, ON

I have been working at DAVIDsTEA part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work at the First Canadian Place location. Awesome team of people to work with, they honestly care for you and will be there for you when you need them. Flexible with scheduling, if you have a second job or school. Easy job as long as you're good at talking to customers, have good work ethic, enjoy teamwork. The overall environment is fun, I actually look forward to my shifts. My store is in the PATH so you get weekends off. There is a 50% employee discount and also you get free tea to drink during shifts. No complaints.

Cons

Limited hours but that is the same as any other retail position, and it really isn't a con if you have another job or school and don't work to work too many hours.

8. "Tea Guide"

I have been working at DAVIDsTEA part-time

Pros

-Fun environment
    -Low maintenance
    -Flexible hours

Cons

-Can feel pushy
    -Management needs better training in some cases

"Warehouse"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC

I have been working at DAVIDsTEA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with other staff members.
    Couple years ago the place was good place to work at.

Cons

Management need to be more professional. Don't talk to there staff professionally.
    Place needs updating bad working conditions in the warehouse summer or winter. It's to hot or to cold to work in. Fix the washrooms.

Advice to Management

Treat your people write. Stop telling them one thing and doing something else. Fix the washrooms.

10. "Lots of change in the past year"

Current Employee - Tea Guide in Sudbury, ON
    Current Employee - Tea Guide in Sudbury, ON

I have been working at DAVIDsTEA part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Amazing and supportive TEAm of people to work with
    -Fun environment

Cons

The company is heading in an increasingly sales driven direction and continuously leaving behind the little things that made it great one-by-one

Advice to Management

Don't lose sight of what made this company great to begin with

11. "Not bad, as retail jobs go"

Former Employee - Tea Guide in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Tea Guide in Toronto, ON

I worked at DAVIDsTEA part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- My coworkers and manager were all really great people
    - Digital scheduling system is easy to use
    - Easy to pick up shifts (if you're a good employee and your location is doing well)
    - Thorough, paid training
    - Fun vibe
    - Quality products
    - Incredible staff discount!

Cons

- Pushy sales tactics (despite what they claim) and constant pressure to meet sales goals
    - Expectation to read emails/learn about products outside of work hours
    - Minimum wage
    - Hard to move up to full-time hours, if that's your goal

Advice to Management

If you want your employees to feel more like part of the company, make it easier to get benefits and full-time hours. It's hard to work for a company that expects extra work but minimizes our hours and only pays minimum wage.