DAVIDsTEA Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Full-timePart-time

DAVIDsTEA CEO Joel Silver
Joel Silver

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "50% discount on all items except sale items" (in 45 reviews)

• "Great employee discount, Great work environment, Staff are usually great to work with as well" (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • "Store Managers are expendable no real work life balance" (in 12 reviews)

• "As a result, don’t even think of trying to get full time" (in 20 reviews)

1. "Great company Culture"

Former Employee - Tea Guide
    Former Employee - Tea Guide

I worked at DAVIDsTEA part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unlimited tea when at work, great discount (50% off), upbeat environment

Cons

Company becoming too sales focused

2. "Davids Tea"

Former Employee - Key Holder in North Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Key Holder in North Toronto, ON

I worked at DAVIDsTEA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

fun people,easy tasks,growth,wild staff meetings,free tea

Cons

management switched 5 times in my 3 years at one location, stock room in basement had no actual floor just dirt,sampling

Advice to Management

store is now closed but would be to make everything cleaner

"Awful Company"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Charlottetown, PE
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Charlottetown, PE

I worked at DAVIDsTEA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free tea during shift, 50% discount on products

Cons

passive aggressive higher up management, does not value it's employees, awful work life balance, terrible benefits, does not promote within the company

4. "Third Key"

Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Montreal, QC
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Montreal, QC

I worked at DAVIDsTEA part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great sales training, tea training, customer service training

Cons

High energy required at all times

5. "One of the best jobs I've ever had!"

Current Employee - Key Holder in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Toronto, ON

I have been working at DAVIDsTEA part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great employee discount, Great work environment, Staff are usually great to work with as well.

Cons

Very small raises, In-store politics

6. "Great job, poor management"

Pros

Free tea while you work, great coworkers, fun company

Cons

Bullied by upper management, rude manager, unsafe work place

7. "Tea Guide"

Current Employee - Tea Guide in Calgary, AB
    Current Employee - Tea Guide in Calgary, AB

I have been working at DAVIDsTEA part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co workers, Scheduling is simple and easy, laid back, free tea on the job, 50% off everything, customers are generally very pleasant, company with good morals and ethics.

Cons

Not enough hours, little room to advance with company

Advice to Management

more oppurtunities to get a raise and move up in the company

8. "Sales Associate"

I have been working at DAVIDsTEA part-time

Pros

- tea
    - coworkers are welcoming

Cons

- salary sucks
    - no good benefits
    - the company treats employees horribly

"DO. NOT. WORK. HERE."

Current Employee - Key Holder
    Current Employee - Key Holder

I have been working at DAVIDsTEA part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- 50% off discount
    - Regulars/Customer base
    - Free drinks on shift

Cons

Now that the very few pros of working at DT are out of the way, let’s talk about the MANY cons and why I can only recommend staying AWAY from this company. You will like it at first and very quickly realize that you’ve made a horrible mistake.

DAVIDsTEA is a failing company. They do not understand their customer base in the slightest. They try very different things every time to try and keep it ‘fresh’ (soup tea? Really?!) but they fail 70% of the time. They expanded far too quickly and the company is dying as a result.

Stores almost never make their goals or their comp (how much they made last year). The company has a lot of potential that they’re throwing away due to focus on the wrong things.

A big mistake is their focus on ‘sampling’. If you got hired, especially as a Tea Guide, be ready to hear that word a LOT. It basically means standing outside the front of your store, whether on the street or inside your mall, for HOURS (2-6+) at a time with little breaks asking every single person if they want a sample. If they accept, you have to give them a huge spiel on the teas their trying and basically force them into the store. The sales tactic of davidstea is very forced, using something called a ‘flowchart’ to try and assess what a customer needs, but it comes off very harassing and forced. If you don’t do these steps, upper management will get after you.

Speaking of management, DT has a terrible team. District Managers are extremely intimidating and stressful, where as Store Managers ‘coach’ everything you do, even if you did well. They will always find something you couldn’t of done better. You will NEVER get a ‘good job!’ from anyone in upper management.

DT also expects their company to be your life. Say goodbye to any work/life balance you had because you will be expected to know all current promotions before you come into store via a new letter sent out every week. They say you don’t have to read it on your time off but become very annoyed if you choose not to.

Expect a lot of shift changes and cuts. As a result of lower budgeting due to the company failing, hours are constantly being cut. In my personal experience, I’ve seen multiple tea guides only get one 3 hour shift a week for multiple weeks in a row. Even if they had a 4-6 hour shift, it wasn’t uncommon for them to get sent home early to ‘save labor’. As a result, don’t even think of trying to get full time.

The last big issue with DT is how much upper management will pick favourites. Whoever these favourites are will get more hours and better shifts (10-4 instead of 6-9, for example). If you aren’t the favourite, expect to be constantly compared to other people and asked to ‘Be like them’. This happens in multiple stores within the company.

The will constantly wave the few cents extra you make (for tea guides it’s usually 10-30 cents over minimum wage, for key holders it’s usually 50-80 cents) as if you make dollars more an hour and that’s why you’re “paid more to work hard”. You could easily make the same amount of money at another job while giving less effort.

I could keep going on. This list is virtually endless. I can’t stress how much I advise not working for this company. With the way it’s going I don’t see the company being open within the next five years.

DO NOT WORK FOR DAVIDSTEA.

Advice to Management

Stop picking favourites. Don’t treat your employees like garbage, and stop picking favourites. Your employees are most likely students making some spending cash. This is a tea store. There is absolutely no reason it should be as stressful as it is. The pay at this company is not worth the stress so stop acting like your employees are getting rich off their 30c extra.

You need to change a lot of things. A whole new management staff/outlook is needed.

"Tea Guide"

Current Employee - Tea Guide
    Current Employee - Tea Guide

I have been working at DAVIDsTEA part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great co-workers (barring management)
    -Free tea on shift

Cons

The company treats employees terribly. If problems arise and you bring them to your superiors they pull the "I hear you, we'll see if it gets better.". That's it. I've talked to my ASM, SM, and DM about certain concerns, and as soon as you try and address problems, you can see their eyes glaze over until you give up.

The company doesn't understand their customers, and as a result, has implemented a warped strategy of interacting with customers. There's a rigid flowchart they want you to follow with each customer. If you let a customer "breath" for a minute after talking to the sampler (more on that below) before approaching them management is instantly on you about why you haven't given them the same long pitch they just heard. And if you aren't trying to up-sell them at every opportunity, management is once again on you. Ridiculous.

Absurd focus on sampling. It's meaningless. It doesn't attract people into the store, it repels them. Nobody wants to be harassed and given a long-winded sales pitch about something they don't care about. Lately there has been an even bigger focus on this, and management has said they need 100% up-time from their employees to be sampling. I've been working at the company for a couple of years now, have had to sample regularly, and have never once been convinced of its effectiveness.

Endless coaching. Normally a plus in my eyes, knowing what you could do better is extremely valuable. Not here. It's not only the quantity, but the quality as well. None of it is constructive, and it only makes you feel terrible, angry, or bitter.

The only reason I'm still there is because I'm almost done school, and at this point it's just easier to stay than it is to find something new.

Advice to Management

For the most part, this is just a part-time job for your employees while they're in high school or post-secondary. They don't care about everything (anything?) upper management does. It shouldn't be this stressful. It's a TEA STORE. Think about that.

Find out what your customer base REALLY responds to. (Hint: not harassment).

Don't play favorites with your employees. I've seen a whole lot of this one. The people they don't like either have to sample their entire shift, or they don't get scheduled.