DAVIDsTEA Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

2.9
DAVIDsTEA CEO Joel Silver
Joel Silver

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "50% discount on all items except sale items" (in 49 reviews)

• "50% off discount and free tea during your shift" (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "No work/life balance- encouraged to micromanage stores" (in 13 reviews)

• "Upper management not honest and truthful" (in 22 reviews)

1. "working at DT"

Former Employee - Sampler and Cashier in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Sampler and Cashier in Toronto, ON

I worked at DAVIDsTEA part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great environment as you get to communicate with many different people and try to meet their needs whether its buying gift or looking for something to purchase from the store.

Cons

some of co workers were inconsiderate when it came to helping me out

2. "Friendly and positive environment with high standards"

Former Employee - Tea Guide in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Tea Guide in Toronto, ON

I worked at DAVIDsTEA part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Everyone is very friendly, even in the high-stress, fast-paced location I worked.
    - It was somewhat competitive, because I joined during a holiday term meant for selecting long-term employees from that set, so it's good if you are the type to be motivated by competition.
    - Everyone shares a love of tea which brings comforting vibes.
    - It is a solid company that will provide a steady job for a long time.
    - From what I've seen, you can become a manager pretty easily because many people are leaving the job after being a manager for a while.

Cons

- The competitive environment might not be for everyone and could be seen as stressful, if joined during this type of term.
    - They tend to have high traffic especially during the holiday season and it can get very hectic.
    - There is a *lot* to memorize when it comes to the teas so there is extra work in that sense, and might be tough for those who find memorizing not their strong suit.

Advice to Management

My suggestion is to make each employee feel more like they matter as a person, which I understand can be difficult in a large company with many employees going in and out and high standards for performance, however it will really make a difference in everyone's performance in my opinion.

3. "Tea Guide"

I worked at DAVIDsTEA part-time

Pros

Get to drink tea all the time, co-workers were great and manager was wonderful; very friendly environment

Cons

Closing shift is very tiring, lots of work to do in an hour; pay is low considering the amount of work that needs to be done; need to work Christmas eve

4. "Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Tea Guide in Abbotsford, BC
    Current Employee - Tea Guide in Abbotsford, BC

I have been working at DAVIDsTEA part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome people, awesome company, awesome discount. All the managers I've had have been super flexible with schedules. Shifts are generally pretty chill

Cons

There's sometimes a lot of drama, and some of the younger staff let the fact that they have a ~cool job~ go to their heads. Not a huge amount of upward mobility because it's such a small company there's not usually a lot of management positions open.

5. "Unprofessional"

Former Employee - Management in Ottawa, ON
    Former Employee - Management in Ottawa, ON

I worked at DAVIDsTEA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

50% off discount, training, customers as excited as you are for the products you offer

Cons

Management is mostly young and can be unprofessional, hours could be better

6. "great experience so far"

I have been working at DAVIDsTEA full-time

Pros

great environment, great discount, friendly, supportive, internal promotion is a focus company wide

Cons

sometimes unrealistic travel expectations to offsite storage etc

7. "Wish they cared more about employees..."

I have been working at DAVIDsTEA part-time

Pros

The team is great as well as the discounts that you receive. You also get to sniff tea all day and drink as much as you want!

Cons

Management will often ignore feedback from the team, and there is little room to move up. If someone higher up is not wanting to do something, us on the lower ladder have no choice but to do it.

8. "Key Holder"

I worked at DAVIDsTEA part-time

Pros

The coworkers are all amazing, free tea while you work so you can try them all, 50% discount, customers are generally friendly, honestly the most enjoyable job I've had!

Cons

I left because the pay was crap. I was a key holder there for close to two years, put a lot of work in for my store and was never really compensated for it (barely made above minimum wage). Head office and the regional managers have really high expectations for sales targets, but instead of rewarding staff when targets are reached, they scold them when they are not. They also only give ASMs and SMs full-time hours/benefits, so even though you work 35 hours every week, they'll make sure it's just under the limit that would allow you to qualify.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more!

"Horrible Upper Management"

Current Employee - Keyholder
    Current Employee - Keyholder

I have been working at DAVIDsTEA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great co-workers
    -friendly customers
     -great experience for first job
    -lots of opportunities to learn and build skills
    -Employee Discount

Cons

-Horrible Upper management
    -Constant miscommunication
    -Questionable sales tactics
    -Favouritism

Advice to Management

Don't treat employees like they are disposable, constant threat of discipline and termination creates an unmotivated workforce. Don't rely on a company culture of negativity to push sales goals, and make your own better decisions before you push incompetent practices on your stores and blame the poor performance on the employees

"Tragic."

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Toronto, ON

I worked at DAVIDsTEA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-50% discount
    -Team members are generally friendly
    -Great if you are only interested in very part time work
    -You are able to dress with individuality and have piercings, tattoos, etc.

Cons

-Very low pay. The raises will amount to less than a $1 if you stay on in the same role.
    -Unprofessional management. When they do promote internally, they don't offer enough training for management which results in shaky leadership. The upper management seem more focused on intimidating staff during store visits than actually understanding what's happening at store level.
    -Excessive focus on sampling. I have had shifts where I stood outside all day. It is not impactful.
    -The quality of the products went downhill yet the prices increased. The loss in customers is then blamed on staff.
    -Too many locations close together downtown. Eat each other's business instead of the growth they clearly thought they would experience.
    -Shifted to a pushy sales approach that it does not pay for; that level of sales focus should result in bonuses for the whole team or commission for individuals. Going above and beyond for minimum wage makes no sense.
    -They will schedule you for as few hours as you they can get away with. Your hours will also be cut on a whim.
    -Difficult to be promoted past store manager.
    -HR and management is useless when it comes to instances of racism, sexism, homophobia etc.
    -When you are doing well, there is no feedback. When the sales goals are not being met, suddenly you are the worst employee ever.
    -Require quite intense cleaning and physical labour behind the scenes. Easy to hurt yourself and you have no benefits. There also isn't enough time to do this thoroughly with the hour you're given after close. They also prefer you not to spend a whole hour since they do not want to pay.
    -Very high turnover.

Advice to Management

-Work on developing staff. Allow people to be rewarded with benefits and full hours instead of hiring a hundred people who all work 3 hours a week. Your turnover will decrease and you will have happier workers.
    -Bullying from upper management is not coaching.
    -If you are cutting costs through limiting things like matcha drinking during shifts and offering cinnamon for lattes, can that money not go to raises that are higher than 10 cents? Ridiculous.