Cypher Systems Group Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Stephen Savage, John Savage and Brian Schwab

1. "Sales Broker"

Current Employee - Broker in Windsor, ON
    Current Employee - Broker in Windsor, ON

I have been working at Cypher Systems Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Pays more than most call centres
    -Great hours.
    -Will pay for training and pays for RIBO testing.
    -Constant employee development.
    -Great people!
    - Growing Company.
    - CEOs/Owners literally have lunch with you. for a local company of 800+ that's really special.

Cons

- Big learning curve.
    - Hard to describe where you work.

Advice to Management

- Keep tabs on your high performers.

"Insurance is a miserable business"

Current Employee - Insurance Service Broker in Windsor, ON
    Current Employee - Insurance Service Broker in Windsor, ON

I have been working at Cypher Systems Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pretty great team of coworkers and most of the team leaders are great too. A lot of celebratory days - parties, cake days, etc

Cons

How do you feel about insurance? Think it's a scam? Expensive? Think companies take advantage of clients? You probably answered yes to all of these and that's how all the clients feel. And once you're in the business, you see some of the greasier things that insurance companies pull of. I'm significantly more educated in the insurance world but have a significantly more negative view of it. To top it off, it is a call center. People can and will say whatever they think of you and insurance. I'm sure it's good for some people but I would not recommend it to anyone.

Advice to Management

Considering the massive number of employees, moving your way up in this company is difficult. I work with great, personable brokers who have terrific call statistics who have been there years longer than I and it seems like opportunities to advance are rare - due to the size of the company. Seeing how much money Cypher makes - and every insurance company - salaries could be higher. Especially with few opportunities for advancement. Other than that, there isn't much to fix due to the fact that insurance is a fairly miserable industry.

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Windsor, ON
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Windsor, ON

I have been working at Cypher Systems Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company growth which allow you to move up.I been here for almost 7 years and I never worked in a place like this before where our constant growth allows you to improve and move up. CSG its a team driven by the same goals – to constantly improve.

Cons

Learning curve- you have to stick to it to excel

5. "Great Company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Windsor, ON

Pros

For the seven years I have been with this company i have really enjoyed my job. I am the type of person that needs to be continually learning things to keep engaged and there is not a day where I do not learn something new. i have worked hard in every role I have had throughout the company and moved up twice. They also help with continuing education that pertains to the job which has made me become a more rounded employee.

The owners of this company are very approachable and can be seen at all of our company events. They reward their staff in many different ways whether it be parties, tickets to a tigers game, spits game or even a wings game.

Cons

* There is a learning curve to the job that not everyone may be able to handle but if you put your time in you will have a wealth of knowledge

Advice to Management

Continue to take the time to listen to what each employee wants and needs in order to succeed in their position.

6. "Insurance Brokers"

Former Employee - Insurance Sales Broker in Windsor, ON
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales Broker in Windsor, ON

Pros

For those qualified, there exist opportunities in IT and Operations with long-term potential and decent salaries; typically such roles are not related to the call-taking jobs the company regularly advertises and so don't require the same 3-week training, RIBO certification, 1-year-until-commission business model and so on.

Those are the pros. The following is a basic description of what the majority of jobs amount to:

For everyone else, there's the misnamed account service manager or account sales manager post, which is basically selling insurance plans to random callers who phone into the call center (and thus has no managerial implications from a salary or direct report supervision standpoint). This is preceded by a 20-day training course where groups are split in 2 and parceled out to two trainers. If the exam is successfully completed, you're assigned to one of the brands under the company umbrella and assigned a cubicle, headset, and computer to take calls.

Cons

These are a few that I gleaned from working here:

-The qualify of the trainers is mixed. Some relatively new and easy-going, and others (or at least one of them) are tenured, have dated knowledge, limited patience, no people-skills, and huge egos. Expect to be told to leave the course/property if you dare to question the way the class breaks or end-times are synchronized or any other aspect of the course instructor's teaching method.
    -There is a relatively strict dress code (compared to most call center environments) that eschews shorts (even long ones) on men or jeans (even clean ones with no tears or bleaching) on everyone. Women can apparently wear knee-length skirts and wear high heels or flip flops, but men are expected to wear dress shoes. It would be therefore accurate to describe the apparel proscriptions as discriminatory by gender.
    -In the first year, you receive no commission. Instead, your sales are reviewed and closed by "senior" brokers, who get the credit & pay. This status quo is apparently not ended at an exact date in your second year but rather at the discretion of the team leadership crew. There is thus little incentive for performing or ambitious agents to excel early on in their mandate.
    -There is little flexibility in terms of scheduling. Moreover, you will be reassigned continuously to different brands/companies based on business needs. Therefore, you may learn your script for one company only to find yourself rehearsing a new one the following week. Agents have no voice in this process and refusal will naturally lead to some form of disciplinary action.

Advice to Management

As a rule of thumb, managers don't take advice. They like to be the hammer, not the anvil. Thus the standard high turnover typical of low-paid, non-union, pressure cooker-style call centers with vertical, top-down management and little advancement potential applies to this one as well.

7. "Treat employees terribly. Not disability friendly environment. Breaks labour and human rights laws."

Former Employee - Account Manager in Windsor, ON
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Windsor, ON

I worked at Cypher Systems Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company held great parties several times a year. Offices are local with minimal travel. Some coworkers were great.

Cons

Did not accommodate disability, medical issues or family needs. Poor pay. Expectations overly demanding. Extremely negative environment.

Advice to Management

Need to better train HR, managers and employees. Treat employees better.

"Great people to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Windsor, ON

Pros

- Put people first
    - Great chances for development, opportunities
    - Continuous training
    - Teamwork

Cons

- Parking can sometimes be an issue
    - Hours

9. "Sales Account Manager Review"

Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Windsor, ON
    Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Windsor, ON

Pros

Cyphersystems is a great working environment they really care about their employees they offer a nice Christmas party, family BBQ's, Spitfire games with the family and much more. Sales is a fun, fast paced career with a potential to more than double the base salary based on performance. When you are in training you have so much support until you feel ready to work independently, management really does want everyone to be successful.

Cons

There is no cons to working a Cyphersystems it's a great company. Some people may have an issue with the extended hours until 10 but you will only be assigned a few a month and management and coworkers are flexible.

10. "Good place to get started"

Current Employee - Insurance Broker in Windsor, ON
    Current Employee - Insurance Broker in Windsor, ON

I have been working at Cypher Systems Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Paid licensing and training process, lots of support, very good way to gain experience in financial services in an entry level position, lots of opportunity for advancement, good corporate environment with many perks

Cons

Dealing with the public. It is what it is in any job, but be prepared to have to deal with the occasional jerk over the phone.

11. "So far, so good. A fun place to work."

Current Employee - Insurance Sales Broker in Windsor, ON
    Current Employee - Insurance Sales Broker in Windsor, ON

I have been working at Cypher Systems Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The training program I went through was very thorough. I had 6 weeks of training before I started the job. They pay you during training, so I didn't mind. :) My trainer (Jenny), Team Leaders and co-workers have all been very helpful.

The company has brought in lunch, coffee and taken us bowling over the last couple of months.

I think the wage is fair, and I'm hoping to sell enough to make bonus!

Lots of jobs are always posted for different positions.

Cons

Depending what shift I'm on, some days I have to drive around looking for a parking spot.

Advice to Management

More parking please! Maybe build a parking garage.