Crate and Barrel Seasonal Sales Associate Reviews

Updated May 30, 2019

4.2
Crate and Barrel CEO Janet Hayes (no image)
Janet Hayes
0 Rating

"Toxic Management, No Freedom"

1.0
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Edmonton, AB

I worked at Crate and Barrel part-time for less than a year

Pros

Coworkers were just about the only pros, also if you like the product it can be fun to look at the stuff all day. Discount is good but goods are still overpriced.

Cons

The management was absolutely terrible, upper management has a god complex and is manipulative. The most toxic person I have ever encountered. Tries to humiliate you and make you seem inferior. Tells younger employees not to hold their hands certain ways or walk certain ways. Creates random rules about what employees can or cannot do based on their mood that day. All employees know of the issues and have complained to corporate many times but they have done nothing about it. You are expected to harass customers repeatedly and will be scolded if you don't. Even if they make it clear they want to be left alone you are expected and told to re-approach 2-3 times. At every step of the customer interaction you must up-sell and push products on people who don't need or want them. It really is a humiliating job. The only part of the job that I enjoyed is the coworkers, very kind people and always helpful. However, you aren't allowed to speak to coworkers for more than 20 seconds at a time, even if the store is practically empty and every customer has been helped. You have to watch the customer until the pick something up and offer help or show them something additional to buy. Interactions with coworkers will be broken up my management if you look a little too happy. There is no trust in employees, you must get your purse or bag checked every time you leave the back room for stolen merchandise. No freedom. You are constantly told what to do and who to talk to over the earpiece. However, if you truly form a connection with a customer and are chatting with them a little too long for management's liking, you will be told to disconnect with them and harass someone else. This company values "making connections with customers" but this only means if they are going to buy something that day. Save yourself, do not accept a job here.

Manager, Field Talent Acquisition

We have received your advice and want to thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We value all feedback and want to make ourselves available to listen to our associates. Please contact the Corporate Offices at 847-272-2888 and ask to speak to a member of the Associate Relations team.

2. "Seasonal Sales Associate"

Current Contractor - Seasonal Sales Associate in Mississauga, ON

I have been working at Crate and Barrel for less than a year

Pros

Good place to work. Employees are very helpful. Very casual work

Cons

Not that much I can say because I only worked as seasonal

"Waste of Time"

1.0
    Former Employee - Seasonal Associate

I worked at Crate and Barrel part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Discount Amazing customer service apprach Really nice customers Very intuitive and easy cash system/software

Cons

At the end of the day it comes down to money. People need jobs for money so they can live, not for something fun to do in their free time. Was hired seasonally and told I would get a minimum 30 hours and would probably be kept on afterward. This was a straight up lie. They hired way too many staff and continued hiring all the way to christmas (those people were literally on the schedule for a week and a half) and told us all the same thing. The majority of employees would be sent home after only working 3 hours of their 8 hour shifts and they would still have a second shift come in who would also be sent home. Why not just cancel one of the shifts and let the people who had put the time and energy in to getting ready for work and getting to work during christmas traffic make enough money to at least cover the cost of getting there? On my last day a friend of mine texted me and told me 6 people were being sent home right before I was suposed to go in with another 7 people scheduled to arrive the same time as me. I called and asked if they really needed me and the manager told me they were "slammed" and needed all their staff. I knew this was a lie as I had just been told there had only been a few transactions in the last hour and the store was empty. I drove there anyway and when I saw that there wasn't a single customer parked in the lot I promptly drove straight home.

Continue reading
  4. "Great camaraderie and team environment"

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate

I have been working at Crate and Barrel part-time for less than a year

Pros

Fellow associates were extremely welcoming, provided support for newer and less experienced teammates.

Cons

You are on your feet for the entirety of the shift. Can be a little taxing on the body.

5. "Seasonal Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Crate and Barrel part-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun, fast paced retail job, you are helping customers decorate their homes. Helps to be interested in the product and/or home decor and decorating. Customers are pleasant. Pays well for retail. Coworkers are very friendly--many people who work there have professional backgrounds (Crate and Barrel is their second income). There is always something to do!

Cons

Job was temporary. Business can be slow at times because like many places they are competing with online shopping.

Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience!

6. "Excellent Employee Experience"

Former Employee - Seasonal Stock Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Crate and Barrel part-time

Pros

Very friendly environment Integrity - company commitment to non-discrimination and other workplace standards were consistently implemented and upheld Respect - onboarding and management of seasonal stockroom employees was welcoming and gracious. They acknowledged that there are people with many career backgrounds doing the job for many reasons, and were flexible and understanding regarding schedule requests etc.

Cons

cap on hours for seasonal employees

Recruiter

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience with us!

7. "Loved being a seasonal employee!"

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Torrance, CA

I worked at Crate and Barrel part-time

Pros

-Nearly always busy -Interesting place to work at -Good employee discount

Cons

-Short notice scheduling often occurred

8. "I worked as a seasonal sales associate during christmas season (november 2015-january 2016) and was very happy there"

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Coral Gables, FL

I worked at Crate and Barrel part-time for less than a year

Pros

30% employee discount, very friendly and great pay. stores always look beautiful, but especially so around big holidays so it can lighten your mood

Cons

can be extremely exhausting during a busy season, however when there are no big holidays nearby then it gets maddeningly boring, there really isn't an in between

9. "C&B"

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in McLean, VA

I have been working at Crate and Barrel full-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly customers and employees. Good pay considering it's retail.

Cons

The store can be very slow.

10. "Sales Associate"

Sales Associate - Seasonal in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at Crate and Barrel for less than a year

Pros

Very structured, good sales team, great product, well staged and displayed.

Cons

Not enough hours. Seems like there are too many employees rotated in and out of schedule.

Found 30 reviews