Conversant "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Conversant Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated May 24, 2019

3.6
Conversant Chief Executive Officer Bryan Kennedy
Bryan Kennedy
Cons

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Downhill"

Former Employee - Data Scientist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Conversant full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent health and retirement benefits. Work/life balance, on my team anyway, was always good.

Cons

Has become slow and stagnant. Projects take an absurd amount of time to go from planning to implementation. The metrics used to measure client success are, at best, dubious and (even within the company) still a source of much argument and rancor. Is very slow to adopt new technology. Some of the senior engineers actively fear change. (In a tech company.) Clients going out of business as more and more retail flows down the Amazon. Attempts to introduce new verticals have had modest success, but the tide is still negative. The recent buyout, by a firm notorious for having difficulty integrating acquisitions, has brightened few spirits.

Advice to Management

Hard to know where to start, but the place needs a shake up. Keep up with technology. Speed up your development cycle. Make sure clients, especially internal clients, want what's being developed. (I've seen far too many conversations of the form: We've built you X. Uh, okay. What for?... ten minutes explaining why this system we spent three months on is useful... Okay, we'll try it. I guess.) Above all, decide on some consistent and plausible client success metrics. A lot of them lack credibility internally; it's only a matter of time (if that) before they start getting questioned externally. And finally, a promotion and review system that grades people on a curve, and then rations out promotions based on quotas (i.e. one team might only get one promotion regardless of performance) is more or less an invitation for good people to take their trade elsewhere.

Conversant2019-05-25

"Unique Tech and Data"

Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Conversant full-time

Pros

-In such a crowded space of "me toos", they really do have clear differntiators. -Very smart people and SME's -Challenging work -Great benefits -Great work life balance

Cons

-Weak commission structure -Not very nimble or flexible -President sides with engineers and product over sales every time -SVPs are dinosaurs who are know-it-alls, but when it comes down to it they are far from that. Have had several clients ask me not to bring some of the SVPs to meetings. -Marketing is a joke

Advice to Management

-Reevaluate how to keep top talent -Make commission structure reflect the role and not just cookie cutter so its easy for you -Cut the fat of non-producers and duplication. They are way too accepting of mediocrity and just "wait it out" for people to leave on their own

Conversant2019-02-15

"Not a fan"

Former Employee - Sales Director in New York, NY

I worked at Conversant full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work/life balance. Some people genuinely care and will try to help you.

Cons

A lot of people have left and it's a bit of a sinking ship.

Advice to Management

Try to come up with some new technology that's unique to the marketplace.

Conversant2019-02-11

"Get experience and Get out"

Former Employee - Media Delivery Manager in Westminster, CO

I worked at Conversant full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent benefits, flexible schedule, good work/life balance, beautiful brand new office in CO

Cons

Low pay, no compensation/ overtime for working on weekends and holidays, takes a long time to get promoted, unequal pay between male vs female, poor senior leadership (SVP and above).

Advice to Management

LISTEN to your managers and employees. There's a huge disconnect between managers and and senior leadership - everything from pay and promotions to team orientation (specifically for those teams NOT located in Chicago).

Conversant2018-10-26

"Great work environment with a few needed changes"

Former Employee - Media Delivery Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Conversant full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people. Conversant does a great job of hiring competent people who, for the most part, are enjoyable to work with. All of the teams that I worked with were fantastic and the general sense that I got was most everyone enjoyed working with one another. The work/life balance is also great at Conversant, but at certain times of the year you can feel bored which is always something to consider. Conversant also takes care of the employees with what I consider to be a very fair benefits package that includes unlimited PTO! In addition to benefits they also have a summer and winter company party which are always high points in the year.

Cons

Conversant gives promotions and raises during what they call "cycles". The problem with this is it tends to breed a culture of incompetence where if you stay long enough you'll get promoted. This is not true in every case, but there are instances of it. The promotion cycles also leads to Conversant losing their best talent because when someone gets passed over for a promotion they know exactly how long they have to wait to be eligible again.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the promotion periods. You will continue to lose talent as long as your giving promotions and raises in cycles.

Conversant2018-10-17

"Senior Data Scientist"

I worked at Conversant full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pros This is a great place for your first Job in Chicago area. The people are nice and smart. Work life balance is very good, free breakfast every Friday.

Cons

The personal growth will be slow. An inconsistent direct manager will make you uncomfortable and less productive. Very often, you work on your manager's task that was actually assigned to her without any credit.

Advice to Management

As a manager, please be consistent on your team member's task and your own task, care about team member's individual growth.

Conversant2018-08-31

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Conversant full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great culture. Leaders in the digital ad space. Awesome benefits. Excellent work/life balance.

Cons

Lots of meetings. High work volume.

Conversant2018-05-14

"Administrative"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ashburn, VA

I worked at Conversant full-time for more than a year

Pros

Conversant has a great work life balance, unlimited vacation and great benefits. Alliance Data which Conversant is an umbrella under I feel truly cares about the company.

Cons

Management needs some work. Really! How these people got into their positions is really surprising. A lot of good ole boys club, women really don't count. #metoo.

Advice to Management

Get off your high horse. We all work for the same company!

Conversant2018-03-30

"Great Place To Start A Career"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Conversant full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great work life balance - Unlimited PTO - Culture is great. Conversant is filled with intelligent, hardworking people - Managers really care about your development as an employee, depending on who you are reporting to - Competitive 401k matching

Cons

- Upper management insists that this is a tech company first, but salaries do not reflect that in the tech departments - Your experience here depends heavily on what manager you report to

Advice to Management

The only advice I could give is to limit losing talent. Brainstorm ways to keep people around.

Conversant2018-01-04

"Data scientist"

I worked at Conversant full-time

Pros

Good work life balance, nice people

Cons

projects are not interesting, not research side

Conversant2017-12-22