Connected Lab Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"So far, so glorious"

I have been working at Connected Lab full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Keep in mind I'm probably still in my honeymoon period. That said, I'm thrilled with it so far. I have been given trust and opportunity from day one. There is a corps d'esprit here that goes past the veneer of other places. There are no "brilliant jerks." Kindness really IS important. You can be both honest and tactful here. We punch above our weight and we do projects with huge companies doing some really cool things. The "with" is key. We are not code monkeys and CL is involved from inception to design to implementation.

Cons

Since the core hours were reduced from 9-6 to 9-5, that addressed my single biggest concern. My only other one may be sick days. This is an allocations based company so I get that you can have a bunch of sick time but 5 days paid sick time is a bit lean. More people are having kids so this may not scale well.

Advice to Management

The company is at a dangerous growth point with respect to culture. I see the (heavy) efforts to maintain it (house system). Keep on your path and don't lose sight of that during this time.

5 Sep, 2017 – CEO

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your glorious review. It’s awesome to hear that your Connected Lab journey is off to a great start. You highlighted kindness, our core value, and the quality... More

"Keep up the great work!"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Connected Lab full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This has been the best company which I have worked at so far. I had other opportunities available however I chose Connected Lab and have yet to regret my decision. The management team seems to know what they are doing and actually care about making a positive impact in the tech scene, the sustainable growth of the company and taking care of their employees. We have interesting projects to work on, are supported to continue learning and growing and all have an impact on the company's success and growth. Even though we work hard and are knee deep in work at times, I still enjoy coming into work everyday.

Cons

I would prefer to finish work at 5pm rather than 6pm. Though we don't have to take work home and there is flexibility to leave prior to 6pm when necessary, completing work at 5pm provides more family time.

Advice to Management

There are many opportunities in the tech scene however not all of them will make sense for Connected Lab's future. Take the time and research to do what's right for the company and continue caring about your employees. This company is becoming one of the hot startups to work at in the Toronto Tech scene and I believe that this is due to your strategic decisions and your dedication to taking care of your employee. Keep up the great work, I'm looking forward to a bright future with this company!

18 Jul, 2017 – CEO

Your glowing review means so much to me, especially the part that highlights Connected as the best company you’ve worked for. It’s the best compliment we’ve ever received - thank you! We are also... More

"Awesome place to work"

Pros

Awesome place to work, great people, cool projects, competent management team.

Cons

Hours can get a little crazy sometimes but to be excited for this type of work

9 Jun, 2017 – CEO

Thanks so much for your 5 stars! It makes me especially happy that you highlighted that we're an awesome place to work, and that you love the people and the projects. It shows we're on the right... More

"Couldn't Be Happier"

I have been working at Connected Lab full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The people. I have been working in consultancy services for about 5 years and have never worked with a team as smart, humble, and kind. Everyone has a desire to help one another, and learn from one another.
    - Sr management team offers great mentorship to the whole company
    - Dedication to the mission and core values. Everyone lives and breathes the core values of this company every single day.
    - Voices are actually heard. Mgmt team does an amazing job of listening (conducting regular satisfaction surveys and making improvements and adjustments usually in the same week).
    - Company disconnects every quarter for a full day off-site - usually filled with team activities, friendly competition, and are always something to look forward to!
    - The client list is incredibly impressive and almost unbelievable when you think about how long we have been in business for.
    - Opportunity to learn something new every day, regardless of the area or department you are in.
    - Office location couldn't be better. Lunch options, bar options, subway line etc.

Cons

- Office coffee could be better
    - Snacks are improving but could still be better
    - The company is growing so fast that we have a meeting room problem!
    - Due to the very open concept, there is a lot of collaboration that happens anywhere and everywhere - this does make it tough to focus sometimes.

Advice to Management

- Never loose sight of what is most important: people and culture.
    - Don't stop the hustle.

23 May, 2017 – CEO

Thank you so much for your glowing review of Connected. It’s really encouraging to read that you’re happy with our our whole team! I’m especially humbled by you highlighting our commitment to our... More

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at Connected Lab full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Varied and interesting projects, with a good variety of clients
    - Full of smart and talented people
    - Regular learning sessions (Lunch & Learns) both technical and otherwise
    - Lot's of free snacks, beer, ping-pong, billiards, 3+1 vacation weeks
    - pretty much no overtime
    - nice office space, location

Cons

- pay level is average
    - rigid work hours 9-6 (although there is flexibility in terms of appointments, etc.)
    - sometimes too little heads-up/transparency when current employees leave

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Keep improving salary levels as the company continues to grow.

2 Mar, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for taking the time to write a great review! I’m happy that you’re enjoying the client work, our team, our benefits, and perks like our Lunch & Learns, and snacks.

As you’ve experienced, we... More

"You can really feel appreciated"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Connected Lab full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've worked many jobs, and have had many coworkers along the way, but I've never /enjoyed/ my time like I'm able to here.

This company, being a startup, has some really great focus on the type of talent they attract. In the beginning, I took a chance and turned down another great offer. I don't regret my decision in the slightest.

Pairing with fellow developers has really helped my daily mood while at work. I've benefited by the open communication and receptiveness of the people around me. It's a really nice feeling to be able to have a good laugh at your desk, when you typed something silly. My morale has easily boosted above and beyond what I've previously experienced.

The trip up to Algonquin was nothing short of breath-taking and represents exactly the type of culture I've been waiting for. I enjoyed myself immensely, and everyone is quite honestly a good person.

The Friday team demos are an amazing way for you to showcase your work, get asked questions (programmery, UX, UI) about what you're working on. I absolutely enjoy being able to show off my work. It's really cool.

The interview process was quite pleasant, and being able to communicate to the interviewer during the interview was a real confidence boost.

Cons

9am to 6pm was a bit of a bummer, but for the most part I rarely ever notice it anymore. It's not so bad considering we aren't expected to work overtime. This is definitely not the case for other Salaried tech companies. It has balanced out quite well for me!

Advice to Management

Keep making people feel appreciated, it has kept me coming back to work without regret. Possibly make it known that if your work is complete for the day, it should be communicated that it's fine to leave before the 6pm clock-out time.

22 Nov, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to write such a glowing review of Connected. It means so much to me! I’m thrilled that you’re enjoying the company culture and that you’re happy with the team. This is... More

"Can't imagine anywhere I'd rather be"

I have been working at Connected Lab full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- #1 by far is the absolutely outstanding team of people to work with -- I love the emphasis put on hiring people who aren't just smart, but enthusiastic, and above all, *kind*. Pays off an incredible amount, especially in an environment like this one that focuses so much on pair programming.
    - I've been learning an incredible amount every day since I started. There's that pairing at work again -- ramping up on projects, languages, frameworks, etc is blazingly fast compared to other places I've worked that don't pair.
    - Pretty much every company likes to show off their set of values, but I've never encountered anywhere that *lives* them as much as Connected. It's the polar opposite of that trite corporate BS you usually see.
    - The whole management team seriously values each and every one of their employees. That probably sounds trite too, but it's true. Ideas carry just as much weight coming from a senior engineer as from an intern. Senior employees practically bend over backwards to support their team's personal growth/development. I've heard of sales turning down major projects just because the rest of the team wouldn't enjoy working on them. The list just goes on.
    - The culture consistently manages to hit that sweet spot between "it's a startup, everything's crazy, whatever we'll just wing it" and "we need to have some solid and proven structure to keep us all performing at our best". It's an insanely hard balance to strike, and I'm honestly floored by how well everyone manages it. Even the more heavily structured parts all feel useful/neccessary - normally you'd expect at least a bit of "awkward red tape", but I haven't really encountered it.
    - I thought I'd hate the strict 9-6 work hours (no sleeping in?!), but I've actually grown to love it. I'm no morning person, but being able to work together beside your pair the whole day and then confidently leave work at a predictable hour is huge.

Bottom line: I feel more fulfilled each and every day at Connected than I did on the best days of any other job I've had. I don't imagine leaving here for a long, long time.

Cons

- Most clients are pretty fantastic, but there are still occasionally those unavoidable roadbumps you get with any services company.
    - Connected doesn't really compete on compensation -- it's not absurdly low or anything, but if salary is really important to you, you're probably better off looking elsewhere.
    (Also, everyone else seems to put "office coffee" here... the new nespresso is great, but am I the only one that likes the old coffee machine too?)

Advice to Management

This place would not be what it is without you. Your passion is both palpable and contagious, and we're all pulling forward together. Make sure you manage to keep this same level of investment in the team as we continue to grow like mad. But don't worry too much -- if you start to slip up, I'm sure someone will call you out on it pretty quick (gotta stay Flat & Fearless!) ;)

22 Nov, 2016 – CEO

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your glowing review! I’m so happy to hear that you’re loving life at Connected. It means the world to me that you’re learning every day, enjoying pairing and... More

"Great place"

I have been working at Connected Lab full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Company culture is great. It's open, communicative and encouraging.
    - We get to work with some of the most amazing clients and organisations in the world.
    - The people here are incredible. Everyone's skills, experiences and personalities are all things that all of us can learn a lot from.
    - Plenty of opportunities to take initiative and responsibilities to develop as a person and a professional.
    - Support, help, encouragement and mentorship from more experienced and senior people.
    - Honestly this company is pretty much all you ever want from a work place.

Cons

- Pay can be higher, but I believe management is working on it.
    - As the company grows, it's facing scaling challenges that can show up as inconsistencies or miscommunication, but everyone is involved in solving the problems and make it a better work place.

Advice to Management

Honestly I think the management is doing a great job. Some potential points of improvements:

- As we grow, careful attention needs to be paid on hiring people who are culturally fit.
    - As we grow and in more need of a layer of middle managers, keep in mind the importance of developing leaders from within the organisation.

22 Nov, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for your review. It means a lot to me that you took the time to highlight the things we’re doing right, and provide constructive criticism on areas we need to do better. I’m happy you love... More

"Amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Connected Lab full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Work culture is fun and fast paced
    - Constant opportunities for teaching and learning
    - Great leadership and mentorship
    - Amazing clients and projects
    - Social events such as demos, weekly social, quarterly off-site events, lunch & learns, and more

Cons

- Office snacks could be healthier

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and transparency with the company

22 Nov, 2016 – CEO

Thanks for your super positive review! I’m really happy to hear that you’re finding the projects challenging and fun and that you’re enjoying the social aspect of Connected. I also love that you’ve... More

"Great place to learn and grow as an Engineer."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Connected Lab full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been working at Connected Lab for about a year now. I can say that I've learned a lot since I've joined Connected Lab. The opportunity to see the problems in different business domains through our clients is a great experience. As an engineer I've gotten to learn various skills in both mobile and web development and it's really helped me round out as an engineer.

The culture is nice and the people are great to work with. The company does a great job of building a very community oriented atmosphere with things like Demos and Socials. There is a lot of transparency within the company and Mike (our CEO) does a great job of sharing strategic initiatives with the company weekly.

Cons

- There is a strict 9-6 policy which I really don't like.
    - Feels like there is lack of autonomy in how we can do things (mandatory pair programming, 9-6 strict working hours). Sometimes this can feel very restricting at work.
    - Some of our clients are very dull to work with in that the work we are assigned to do is very mundane and it feels like the developers were put on for staff augmentation.
    - Not as much work in the connected software space as I expected. Hopefully this changes soon.
    - Compensation is not as high but this is expected since the company is bootstrapped.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. The company has grown immensely and we are doing a great job scaling our employee base with our processes evolving.

Projects where we are just fixing some companies mobile app or doing staff augmentation are really boring. Can we do our best to avoid these? More innovation based projects would be nice.

18 Jan, 2017 – CEO

Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a thoughtful review. It means a lot to me that you’re learning and growing at Connected. It’s my priority that all engineers are engaged and... More