Compassion International Reviews

Updated Apr 27, 2020

4.4
Compassion International President and CEO Jimmy Mellado
Jimmy Mellado
Pros
  • "Releasing children from poverty globally is a powerful thing to support(in 20 reviews)

• "Everyone works toward the same goal, which is releasing children from poverty in Jesus' name(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "At times, this leads to unsustainable commitment on the part ministry(in 18 reviews)

• "Spiritually if you say you are a Christian, you are in(in 9 reviews)

1. "The mission is needed even more now!"

Current Employee - Manager in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Compassion International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The incredible commitment to mission at every level of the organization. It’s especially fulfilling and humbling to serve the frontline care givers who are the hands and feet of Jesus in such tangible ways. Grateful for the thoughtful and responsible strategic plan that is in place which also honors the complexity of what it takes to successfully release children from poverty in Jesus’ name.

Cons

When the vision is compelling and so much good to be done, it’s hard to focus on the most important work that generates the most progress. At times, this leads to unsustainable commitment on the part ministry.

April 28, 2020Compassion International

Thank you so much for your feedback! We are so grateful that you find value in the mission of releasing children from poverty in Jesus' name!

2. COVID-19

"A Powerful Common Goal"

Current Employee - A Powerful Common Goal

I have been working at Compassion International full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

This might be one of the most gratifying jobs ever, because it’s not about your self worth or status. It’s not about spreadsheets or sales goals. Yes, you’re working for someone else but it’s not a corporation, a stockholder or a corporate exec. It’s a vulnerable child living in poverty in one of the poorest countries in the world. And your goal isn’t climbing a ladder, it’s lifting that child up. Right now, during this global crisis, our jobs are more important than ever because the poor are the hardest hit. I’m thankful for a leadership team who realizes that and is serving our staff well so we can do our jobs well. We’ve all been rattled by this pandemic but corporately, we are healthy and that’s because of the wise decisions made at the top. Great leadership, hard workers and a powerful, common goal.

Cons

Like most companies, we tend to work in silos from time to time...but this recent forced separation is bringing us together like never before.

April 22, 2020Compassion International

Thank you for sharing! We are so glad that you feel valued and understand that what you work for is greater than paycheck. We are so blessed to have employees like you!

"One of the best nonrofits"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Compassion International full-time for more than a year

Pros

God is at work in this ministry, and continues to be placed at the center of the work. By in large, teams are healthy, supported by good leaders, and striving to get better. There are opportunities for growth. Pay is fair and the benefits are excellent. Remote working flexibility is excellent and conveys great trust in employees.

Cons

movement is slow, and initiatives are often pushed out the door quickly but not supported enough to be successful, leaving staff reluctant to get on board with change.

April 9, 2020Compassion International

Thank you for sharing! We are so glad that you feel that Compassion is healthy and supportive. As always, you are encouraged to take your suggestions for Compassion's growth to your manager or HR Business Partner. We are so blessed to have employees like you!

4. "Great vision but seems to be lacking some pillars"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Compassion International full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Spiritual Growth, The Mission, The Staff (most of them), Hearts, Helping Children and Families, Reducing Poverty, Benefits, Wellness Programs, Paid Holidays, PTO, etc.

Cons

Lack of "Driving Force", Lack of Movement, Stubbornness, Lack of Opportunity, Lack of Consistency, Hypocrisy, Old Mindsets

March 30, 2020Compassion International

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us! We’re so grateful for your many years of faithful service. You clearly have a heart for the mission and a desire to see Compassion become an even stronger organization, for our employees as well as our beneficiaries. Like any organization, we know that we have room to grow and improve, and it takes honest feedback from employees to make that happen. We encourage you to share your thoughts with your manager and/or HR Business Partner so that we may better support you. We also want to be clear that we take breaches of Compassion policy and ethical violations seriously. If you are aware of a situation that you believe merits investigation, please file a report through our Ethics Point portal, available on The Source. Thank you again for serving alongside Compassion!

5. "Incredible Employer"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Compassion International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay (especially for non-profit) Good benefits Care about work/life balance

Cons

Some workplace drama/dysfunction depending on your manager/department.

February 20, 2020Compassion International

Thank you for sharing!

6. "Project Accountant"

Former Employee - Project Accountant in Mwanza

I worked at Compassion International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Releasing children from poverty in Jesus name

Cons

Two work two departments at once

Continue reading
  7. "Blessed to work at Compassion"

Current Employee - Instructional Designer

I have been working at Compassion International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Staff truly have the heart for Jesus and for the children we serve. I have matured as a Christian in this corporate environment.

Cons

Sometimes projects take longer when many departments and people want to speak into the work.

December 26, 2019Compassion International

Thank you for your feedback! Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any additional questions or concerns.

8. "Technician"

I have been working at Compassion International full-time

Pros

Putting people and family first is the best way to care for employees. You’re the best.

Cons

Excellent leadership as well as excellent Benefits.

November 26, 2019Compassion International

Thank you for your feedback! We’re so glad that you enjoy working here. Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any additional questions or concerns.

9. "Called to Compassion"

Current Employee - Video Producer

I have been working at Compassion International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Compelling mission driving work with purpose.

Cons

Large organisation, difficult to connect global workforce. Lots of growth but not without with some growing pains.

November 22, 2019Compassion International

Thank you for your feedback! We love that you feel onboard with the mission and purpose of the ministry – thank you for all that you do!

10. "Healthiest, Most Fun Company to be at that also makes me feel excited and challenged everyday!"

Current Employee - Donor Relationship Manager in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Compassion International full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have worked in business for 7 years and joined CI one year ago. It is so healthy!! The team and environment is so fun and everyone is so motivated to help more kids!

Cons

none - I guess if I had to come up with something, it would be that it is a bummer when our systems create a technical problem that frustrates donors and makes them not want to give as much/help as many kids. But I know that our teams are working endlessly on improving them.

November 12, 2019Compassion International

Thank you so much for sharing! We love that you are excited, motivated, and challenged every day in your work. You are a key contributor to the health of the organization – thank you for all that you do!

Found 174 reviews