Coast Capital Savings Employee Reviews about "focus on sales"

Updated Feb 18, 2018

3.4
Coast Capital Savings President and CEO Calvin MacInnis
Calvin MacInnis
Pros
  • "Healthy, inclusive work environment with an eye of the future(in 14 reviews)

• "I have met nothing but great people in my few years here(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "top heavy(in 4 reviews)

• "Company is shifting to more and more of a focus on sales as opposed to its roots of helping people(in 4 reviews)

Reviews about "focus on sales"

Return to all Reviews

"Learning experience, lack of opportunities"

4.0
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Coast Capital Savings part-time for more than a year

Pros

You learn a lot about banking, which is useful for your own life. Pays relatively competitive wages for entry level. Good benefits and work-life balance. Casual and fun environment. Great co-workers and managers. Community involvement and civic values are commendable. Great entry level job for recent grads or people who want to get a decent wage without too much stress. Provides customer service experience.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunities for growth/promotions. Training and workshops are available but in practice there aren't that many postings and it may be difficult to get promoted. Pay increase may not be substantial if you are going from CSR to FSR, and the FSR position can be a lot of pressure. A lot of focus on sales without having a sales culture. Coast tries too hard to not be like a bank, and can sometimes come off as less than professional.

Continue reading
  2. "MBS"

I worked at Coast Capital Savings full-time

Pros

Good pay, good hours, Friendly people and environment

Cons

Repetitive, Hard focus on sales disguised as customer service.

"Great Culture But Shifting Focus To Only Sales"

I have been working at Coast Capital Savings

Pros

Amazing culture and co-workers. Everyone who works at Coast is fun and kind. Company gives a lot back to its employees Head Office Building is incredible and cutting edge Defined Benefit RRSP Plan Available!

Cons

Company is shifting to more and more of a focus on sales as opposed to its roots of helping people Very slow to move up and get pay raises if you start as a teller. They have implemented more hoops to jump through to get to any position recently It does not matter if you have a business degree, or how hard you work. At the end of the day it is all about your sales number. It is a known fact among employees that the fastest way to move up is to leave the company and go to another financial institution and they will move you up quickly if you are intelligent and have an education, and then if you want to come back to Coast you will be much further ahead than if you had stayed the whole time.

Coast Capital Savings Response

Manager, People Solutions

Thanks for the pat on our back regarding our amazing culture and co-workers - we hope you take pride in being an important part of it too. We're sorry that you feel there is a shift in our focus, at Coast Capital our primary aim to help our members achieve financial well-being. To best serve our members we need to be a competitive and profitable credit union and this is achieved through our help approach where we present our members products and services for their consideration based on a thoughtful assessment of their personal circumstances. At Coast Capital we want our employees to take advantage of the amazing career options available to them and we are sorry to hear that some feel this isn't the best for them. Our processes are designed to be fair and transparent and we understand that at times employees may need to make the difficult decision to leave Coast Capital to pursue their next desired job. We are committed to providing employees interesting work experiences, opportunities to build skills and creating a lasting network. And for those employees who do leave to pursue other opportunities, we hope they find their way back to Coast Capital when the opportunity is right. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts. Thank you!

"Not as fun as they make it out to be"

Service Pro in Surrey, BC
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Coast Capital Savings

Pros

- Pay was good for the work/commitment involved as a part-timer - Fairly low stress job

Cons

- Lots of focus on sales and making members come into the branch for "money chats" which was a huge inconvenience for the member thus making it a hard sell for the front line - If you need to change branches it's basically impossible and you will be put through the hiring process again and again - Many lifers who aren't competent but end up in certain positions - My branch had a lot of issues among the employees and management was quick to blame the employees - Positions outside of the branch are clogged up with lifers, don't expect to move out of the branch

Coast Capital Savings Response

Manager, People Solutions

We appreciate that with an overall positive outlook on Coast Capital you still took the time to provide us some feedback on areas we could improve. We pride ourselves on retention of some pretty fabulous employees but understand that this does pose challenges. We are always working towards finding ways to honour and make the best of everyone’s career journey while here. Helping our members with their Financial Well Being is of critical importance and addressing this approach with the realities of a healthy sales culture is a fine balance. We will continue to consider input like this in our approach to relationship development. We are pleased to hear you felt you had good pay in a fairly low stress environment. We want our employees feeling comfortable and providing a competitive salary and work life balance are key factors in that equation.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 4 reviews