Coast Capital Savings Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Don Coulter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Takes advice/ criticism from staff and proactively works with all of us to resolve any issues creating a great work environment" (in 10 reviews)

• "Good benefits and work-life balance" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Company is shifting to more and more of a focus on sales as opposed to its roots of helping people" (in 4 reviews)

• "It is difficult to move up within the company" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Amazing place to work"

Current Employee - MSR/Teller in Victoria, BC
    Current Employee - MSR/Teller in Victoria, BC

I have been working at Coast Capital Savings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great starting wage
    Closed on holidays
    Amazing staff and management
    No high pressure sales

Cons

None that I can think of :)

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

2. "FSR"

I have been working at Coast Capital Savings full-time

Pros

the people are great, the culture, and lots of opportunity for advancement within retail banking

Cons

the hours, the salary, not sure how going national will impact employees

"Great company to work for from the bottom up"

Current Employee - Member Banking Specialist in Surrey, BC
    Current Employee - Member Banking Specialist in Surrey, BC

I have been working at Coast Capital Savings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Purpose-built culture allows for employees to move around in the company to find the best fit.
    Benefits are excellent.
    Best managers I've ever had. They are trained well.
    Help based approach instead of sales based, so we can live and work our values

Cons

Cannot yet relocate to areas in BC outside of the Lower Mainland or Island, or other provinces.

Advice to Management

Learn different styles of managing to properly manage everyone on the team, not just the ones you mesh with.
    Collaborate, don't impose.
    Don't forget to have fun.

"EPMO needs help. The team is not empowered. People are demoralized"

Current Employee - ETS in Surrey, BC
    Current Employee - ETS in Surrey, BC

I have been working at Coast Capital Savings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Bonus, Decent Discount, Decent Pay

Coast the organization has decent culture

Cons

1. Employees are entitled to contribute to the anonymous 360 employee survey. The epmo management had not only not listen nor act accordingly to the feedback, they would even go as far as labeling the team’s feedback as “FAKE NEWS” and calling out team members to “STOP HIDING BEHIND THE COMPUTERS TO COMPLAINT”. The management’s answer for brushing off these constructive feedback is to continuously brag about how many projects the team has delivered, and if the team can’t appreciate that then perhaps Coast is not a good fit for the “complainers”. Needless to say, the team felt demoralized, intimated and threatened…

2. One of the widely known sensitive topic of the epmo management is that they get extremely angry and panicky if anyone exposes unfavorable project statuses to the executives. It's an unspoken rule that all project communications to Execs must be "filtered" or "approved" by the management. The culture to manipulate project status is quite extraordinary...

3. No one understands why all major projects have go-live dates pre-determined by the upper management team with zero inputs from the epmo team, Stakeholders and the Architects. During delivery, unexpected scope comes up and the management would not hesitate to throw the team under the bus for scope creep...

Advice to Management

1. Please listen and respect your team's anonymous survey. It is obvious that some team members are uncomfortable discussing their concerns with you in person. It also doesn't help when management openly calls them fake news...especially not in 2018...

2. I don't have to go the distance to explain why trusts and integrity are in play when reporting the true state of a project, with full transparency and no filter.

3. Get estimation inputs from the team first before committing to the board. It doesn't make sense to reverse engineer a plan from the date that management has previously "agreed" on, especially when you are not willing to compromise on scope

"Okay"

I worked at Coast Capital Savings full-time

Pros

Benefits, lots of work events, meant good people, consistent hours, decent pay

Cons

Seen as a number, not valued as a person. High pressure sales goals. Lots of shadowing from management.

Advice to Management

Prioritize your customers and staff over making money. I get it’s a business, by I was extreme

"Appearances are deceiving"

Current Employee - CSR-1 in Burnaby, BC
    Current Employee - CSR-1 in Burnaby, BC

I have been working at Coast Capital Savings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*Good benefits
    *Reasonable hours
    *Nice coworkers
    *Fast paced work environment

Cons

Despite the claims of being fun and hip it's still very corporate hierarchal sorta environment.

Horrible outdated banking system. Makes members and our lives hell on a daily basis, Thinga that are automated at other banks are still done manually here.

Hypocritical management. People who do not follow through on what they say. Very negligent & sales minded management whom just push for numbers and put huge pressure on employees. Hugely unorganized digital interfaces.

Advice to Management

get real, support your people, be more open, make it known you care, be more pro active at hiring & training.

7. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Coast Capital Savings full-time

Pros

-remote work flex
    -tons of new learning experiences
    -great compensation package

Cons

I got nothing - Great place

"PMO needs help"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Surrey, BC
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Surrey, BC

I have been working at Coast Capital Savings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fellow Team members are nice but inexperienced.

Cons

Leadership is very poor at the PMO level and above. They can talk but they do not have the experience to deliver or to plan. Resulting in overworked PM s and BAs, bad decisions, projects getting executed with no requirements and lack of foresight/knowledge.

Advice to Management

Bring in a new leadership team who actually knows how to run a PMO and IT projects, rather than x consults who know how to tell you how to do it, but have never actually done it themselves. Get rid of the bully. Stop trying to do too much.

"Poor Leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Surrey, BC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Surrey, BC

I have been working at Coast Capital Savings full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Worked with some very nice people and customers over the years.

Cons

Very weak management. Overall, I found most leaders are in experienced people managers. They are company yes-men (or yes-women) and do not support their staff no matter what. In fact, I found that most leaders easily throw their staff under the bus to make them selves look better. And, they are easily threatened by long-term employees who bring value and experience to the team. There is a lot of bullying and favouritism that occurs throughout the organization.

Advice to Management

Treat your staff like they are your biggest asset. Treat them all equally. Treat them the way you wish to be treated.

"Great place to build your career"

Current Employee - MBS
    Current Employee - MBS

I have been working at Coast Capital Savings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good life work balance with CCS. Friendly coworkers and management. The possibilities to grow are everywhere and you are encouraged by senior management to do so. Fantastic benefits. Always growing as a company and employer. Takes advice/ criticism from staff and proactively works with all of us to resolve any issues creating a great work environment

Cons

Sometimes there are to many unnecessary barriers in the way to effectively and efficiently complete tasks, management and EXCO have acknowledged this and have been working toward steps to improve some of our dated procedures.

Advice to Management

Thank you for the wonderful opportunity to work and grow with Coast Capital Savings, as a career and life choice I couldn't be happier with where I have chosen to work!