Coast Capital Savings Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

2.8
Coast Capital Savings President and CEO Calvin MacInnis
Calvin MacInnis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Takes advice/ criticism from staff and proactively works with all of us to resolve any issues creating a great work environment" (in 12 reviews)

• "Great environment, work life balance" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Company is shifting to more and more of a focus on sales as opposed to its roots of helping people" (in 4 reviews)

• "It is difficult to move up within the company" (in 3 reviews)

1. "OMG"

I have been working at Coast Capital Savings full-time

Pros

Seriously though! I never thought such positive work environment would even exist! Everyone smiles, everyone motivates... I am so lucky to be working here.
    I’m still in training and I cant believe how much love I have for this credit union.
    It’s home 🏠

All I hear is positive feedback from other people who have been there for many years and that is just so RARE

Cons

Honestly there isn’t anyrhing I can think of... oh... we run out of hot chocolate so fast?! Lol

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing because we all love it

13 Dec, 2018 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your positive experience at Coast Capital Savings. It’s great to hear that you are experiencing what we believe makes Coast great - our people and culture. We strive to... More

"Company is At a crossroad....feels like a bank now rather than a CU."

I have been working at Coast Capital Savings full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

-Great employee benefits
    -Community involvement is strong
    -Salary is competitive
    -Employees who care for the most part

Cons

-Exco and the board are in it for themselves and do not really care about the employees. (The previous CEO left the company earlier this year as he was frustrated with the direction the board wanted to take the company).
    - The Board are best described as ‘corporate politicians’ and make sure they pay themselves fabulously compared to other credit unions.
    - Senior Management is inexperienced and if you suck up to the right people you will go places else you will be shunned aside.
    -Too top management heavy and there are some chiefs who bully employees so they can drive results to patronize senior management.
    -Employees are asked for their input in surveys but we as managers know nothing will really get done except to keep up with appearances.
    -The CCEO who is the number 2 position in this company has never worked in Retail banking but was given this position after the CEO left with her only experience being in HR. Go figure....

Advice to Management

-Get off your high horse and listen to employees.
    -HR needs more competent people.
    -The Board needs to comprise of people who actually care about employees rather than lining their own pockets.
    -Understand that managers are expected to put in long hours without being paid for them. We have families too!

19 Dec, 2018 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Hi, and thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I’m really pleased that you feel our employee benefits and salary are a win, and that you’d recommend Coast Capital Savings as a place... More

"Not impressed with management"

Pros

Good work environment, sometimes (if you have a good manager)

Cons

lots of favourites playing by managers
    lots of pushy sales

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees when they say something is wrong.

4. "MANAGER"

I have been working at Coast Capital Savings full-time

Pros

The people and culture , community. Location

Cons

Long hours, not paid for them

13 Dec, 2018 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your review. I am delighted to hear that your experience aligns with the culture of care we have been working to create for our members, community, and our employees. It is a... More

"Toxic and fear mongering management in PMO"

Former Employee - Digital in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Digital in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Coast Capital Savings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay and bonus. Decent benefits. The Coast culture that is advertised is real in some departments.

Cons

- After providing honest, constructive feedback in our quarterly anonymous survey, that resulted in abysmal scores for management, we were told to come forward in-person with our feedback and "don't hide behind a survey!". Requests to stop swearing were addressed by management by telling us to accept the behavior. On top of all that, the survey results for that quarter were never released when others were.

- There are no checks and balances for management behavior. All complaints about leadership to our HR business partner are first relayed back to management then they come up with a strategy to silence you.

- Incompetent people promoted. Team members with decades of experience are fired to be replaced with ones that have zero experience.Incompetent people promoted. Team members with decades of experience are fired to be replaced with ones that have zero experience. Digital projects are led by an individual that PHYSICALLY intimidates project team members so that he can play gatekeeper on the project yet not deliver a single thing.

- There is zero career advancement. Management suspicious of entire team when we requested job relevant training. We were told it did not pertain to our role.

- We were constantly bullied into superficial tasks to provide optics of work being done. Management has no clue about the project and just wants to look the part. Projects are constantly split into phases because timelines are promised by leadership without consulting the project team.

Advice to Management

- All the advice you need has already been voiced in the surveys.
    - RELEASE THE SURVEY RESULTS
    - HR needs to do their job

12 Nov, 2018 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your time submitting this review.

We agree that our compensation and benefit programs are pretty awesome. We also know that compensation and benefits are only part of the employee... More

6. "FSR"

I have been working at Coast Capital Savings full-time

Pros

the people are great, the culture, and lots of opportunity for advancement within retail banking

Cons

the hours, the salary, not sure how going national will impact employees

21 Nov, 2018 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your review and we are glad you like the people, culture, and advancement opportunities here at Coast. We have exciting times ahead as we go national and we are so glad that you are on... More

"Amazing place to work"

Current Employee - MSR/Teller in Victoria, BC
    Current Employee - MSR/Teller in Victoria, BC

I have been working at Coast Capital Savings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great starting wage
    Closed on holidays
    Amazing staff and management
    No high pressure sales

Cons

None that I can think of :)

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

12 Nov, 2018 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your review.

We strive to provide a workplace where our employees can flourish and add value everyday... all while improving the financial well-being of Canadians.

I am... More

"Great company to work for from the bottom up"

Current Employee - Member Banking Specialist in Surrey, BC
    Current Employee - Member Banking Specialist in Surrey, BC

I have been working at Coast Capital Savings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Purpose-built culture allows for employees to move around in the company to find the best fit.
    Benefits are excellent.
    Best managers I've ever had. They are trained well.
    Help based approach instead of sales based, so we can live and work our values

Cons

Cannot yet relocate to areas in BC outside of the Lower Mainland or Island, or other provinces.

Advice to Management

Learn different styles of managing to properly manage everyone on the team, not just the ones you mesh with.
    Collaborate, don't impose.
    Don't forget to have fun.

21 Nov, 2018 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Wow! Thank you for highlighting so many great things about our culture at Coast Capital.

As we grow across Canada and open new areas in BC we are excited that you are part of the team.

"EPMO needs help. The team is not empowered. People are demoralized"

Current Employee - ETS in Surrey, BC
    Current Employee - ETS in Surrey, BC

I have been working at Coast Capital Savings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Bonus, Decent Discount, Decent Pay

Coast the organization has decent culture

Cons

1. Employees are entitled to contribute to the anonymous 360 employee survey. The epmo management had not only not listen nor act accordingly to the feedback, they would even go as far as labeling the team’s feedback as “FAKE NEWS” and calling out team members to “STOP HIDING BEHIND THE COMPUTERS TO COMPLAINT”. The management’s answer for brushing off these constructive feedback is to continuously brag about how many projects the team has delivered, and if the team can’t appreciate that then perhaps Coast is not a good fit for the “complainers”. Needless to say, the team felt demoralized, intimated and threatened…

2. One of the widely known sensitive topic of the epmo management is that they get extremely angry and panicky if anyone exposes unfavorable project statuses to the executives. It's an unspoken rule that all project communications to Execs must be "filtered" or "approved" by the management. The culture to manipulate project status is quite extraordinary...

3. No one understands why all major projects have go-live dates pre-determined by the upper management team with zero inputs from the epmo team, Stakeholders and the Architects. During delivery, unexpected scope comes up and the management would not hesitate to throw the team under the bus for scope creep...

Advice to Management

1. Please listen and respect your team's anonymous survey. It is obvious that some team members are uncomfortable discussing their concerns with you in person. It also doesn't help when management openly calls them fake news...especially not in 2018...

2. I don't have to go the distance to explain why trusts and integrity are in play when reporting the true state of a project, with full transparency and no filter.

3. Get estimation inputs from the team first before committing to the board. It doesn't make sense to reverse engineer a plan from the date that management has previously "agreed" on, especially when you are not willing to compromise on scope

"Appearances are deceiving"

Current Employee - CSR-1 in Burnaby, BC
    Current Employee - CSR-1 in Burnaby, BC

I have been working at Coast Capital Savings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*Good benefits
    *Reasonable hours
    *Nice coworkers
    *Fast paced work environment

Cons

Despite the claims of being fun and hip it's still very corporate hierarchal sorta environment.

Horrible outdated banking system. Makes members and our lives hell on a daily basis, Thinga that are automated at other banks are still done manually here.

Hypocritical management. People who do not follow through on what they say. Very negligent & sales minded management whom just push for numbers and put huge pressure on employees. Hugely unorganized digital interfaces.

Advice to Management

get real, support your people, be more open, make it known you care, be more pro active at hiring & training.

12 Nov, 2018 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your detailed feedback. We’re happy to hear about some of the benefits highlighted, but it’s also really helpful to consider the cons and advice to management.

Being in a sales role... More