Coast Capital Savings Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

3.2
Coast Capital Savings President and CEO Calvin MacInnis
Calvin MacInnis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Takes advice/ criticism from staff and proactively works with all of us to resolve any issues creating a great work environment" (in 13 reviews)

• "Great environment, work life balance" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Company is shifting to more and more of a focus on sales as opposed to its roots of helping people" (in 4 reviews)

• "It is difficult to move up within the company" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Good company"

I have been working at Coast Capital Savings full-time

Pros

- my team
    - company culture
    - benefits

Cons

- parking
    - communication between teams

2. "Member Service Representative"

Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Victoria, BC
    Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Victoria, BC

I worked at Coast Capital Savings part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great opportunities for growth, Excellent support from management and coworkers, good perks and benefits.

Cons

Can get some rough customers, stressful, expect to always be learning as financial institutions have a lot of rules and regulations they follow.

"Proud CCS (EPMO) team member"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Surrey, BC
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Surrey, BC

I have been working at Coast Capital Savings full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked at CCS for 5 years now, in 3 different roles. The support I’ve received from different departments in my career growth has been greatly appreciated. I am proud to be a part of a growing, hardworking and successful EPMO team. A team with strong leadership, who supports staff and always has their back, to supportive and fun peers which I enjoy working with on a daily basis. I respect EPMO management's style of fierce conversation and holding people accountable, we are all here to do a job, if you need support or guidance they are there for you, but if you require difficult feedback, those conversations will happen as well, i appreciate this as i like to know how i'm performing and if i'm required to improve in any specific areas.

CCS is growing rapidly, with that comes some growing pains. I personally enjoy a fast paced, changing workplace, but it isn’t for everyone. There are a lot of priorities on the go, a lot of work on everyone’s plates, but nothing we can't achieve. With Executives and Senior Leadership aligned on our Purpose and values, we move forward to execute on our goals for the year and years to come.

Additional Pros:
    Mortgage discount
    Work/Life Balance
    Community involvement and volunteer commitment
    Fun culture
    Fast Paced Environment
    Office location is great - close for those east of the port mann bridge, on transit for those west

Cons

Overall benefits - described as flexible, which yes there are choices you can make on coverage, however it is complicated and even the basic coverage cost the employee money

Parking - parking is at a premium, this isn't a reflection on Coast, it's just something to be aware of, parking is limited in the area, no issues for those who can transit, as our office location is very convenient

Advice to Management

In regards to the overall CCS management teams, i'm excited for 2019, continue to stay aligned with each other and focus on the priories set up by our CEO and executive team.

EPMO Management: I wouldn't ask you to change anything, continue to hold us accountable, push us out of our comfort zone, and support us, having our back means more than you know. We have such a great team right now, we've grown a lot, and we have faced some challenges, however the current vibe within our team is positive and fun!

4. "Member Banking Specialist"

I worked at Coast Capital Savings full-time

Pros

-Fair pay
    -Good location
    -Great community involvement

Cons

-Internal hiring process has flaws

5. "Excellent Culture - great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Surrey, BC

I have been working at Coast Capital Savings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very positive and inclusive work environment. Excellent salary ranges and annual bonus structure program. Great feedback and working relationships with the management team. Open and transparent processes. Encouragement for personal and professional growth. Plenty of opportunities to advance your career.

Cons

A little crowded on some of the workspaces, however this being said they are working on re-organizing the workplace.

Advice to Management

Thank you for your transparency. I truly enjoy the time the directors and above take with the staff to update them on initiatives and just the 1:1 time that we get. Communication is always key and from my personal experience there is a great 2 way communication channel being implemented, which enables the employees to feel empowered and inspired. Thank you!

"Awesome place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Surrey, BC

I have been working at Coast Capital Savings full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Amazing Vision
    Community Oriented
    Family Oriented
    Excellent work/life balance
    Cutting Edge IT Department

Cons

There are none I can think of. It's a place that supports family, multiculturism, honesty, and integrity.

Advice to Management

Keep up what you're doing. You have the right people in place to take this company forward.

"Great employer, great company"

Current Employee - Helpdesk Analyst in Surrey, BC
    Current Employee - Helpdesk Analyst in Surrey, BC

I have been working at Coast Capital Savings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing Management.
    Great work environment.
    Growth opportunity.
    Medical Benefits and other staff benefits.

Cons

Not a lot that I think of.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

"Great company and Great culture"

Current Employee - IT Service Management in Surrey, BC
    Current Employee - IT Service Management in Surrey, BC

I have been working at Coast Capital Savings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, great people to work with, challenging fast paced environment with lot of opportunities to learn new skills.
    Chance to work with latest technologies and applications. Very good growth opportunities.Very good initiatives by leadership team to grow and the opportunities are boundless. I have seen people working for decades and I've seen many people develop and move into promotions.
    Employee benefits are very good.

Cons

No feedback. The best employer I've ever had.
    Still need to work on the compensation according current market.

Advice to Management

Continue to support and show encouragement, it means so much!

"Attractive company for both your career and your soul"

Current Employee - IT Engineer in Surrey, BC
    Current Employee - IT Engineer in Surrey, BC

I have been working at Coast Capital Savings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Competitive benefit packages, including DB pension option.
    2. Community focused and encourage employee volunteer work by various policies (like a free volunteer day and additional $$$ budget for you to donate to any non-profit organization)
    3. Lunch & learn
    4. Decent vacation / personal sick leave days
    5. Very strong IT leadership and they are willing to listen to suggestions.

With CCS becoming federally regulated credit union in 2019, it is almost like a national bank in terms of business scope. To handle this challenge, lots of new IT projects are initiated and most are cloud-based. No doubt, if you are an IT professional, you will grow your skills and profession experience together with CCS.

Cons

Not many, but as an IT person for operation, I'd say the workload is increasingly expanding, and this can be worse when all new projects are complete and in production. IT leadership needs to balance the priority of new projects and daily operations. The incident, which Vancity experienced in Oct 2018, i.e. its whole system was down for 4+ days, should be a good lesson to remind us how critical operations should be for a financial institution. No members will care if a new feature is delayed one day or two, but every member will know if our banking system is down for 1 hr.

Advice to Management

Need more attention to IT operations, establish some hybrid R&D teams to create some best practices to improve our operation efficiency and productivity so we are scalable in both capacity and capability for future workload.
    Two other important thing is
    1. prevent excessive bureaucracy as CCS grows in scale.
    2. our compensation package is matching market but is behind some heavy-weight companies, like Amazon/Facebook in Vancouver. To attract top talents, at minimum, we need to prevent the gap from increasing .

10. "IT Administrator"

Current Employee - SE Server in Surrey, BC
    Current Employee - SE Server in Surrey, BC

I have been working at Coast Capital Savings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coast Capital has a great vision for their technology footprint and are headed in the right direction. The teams are going strong and getting more efficient with every passing day. New Cloud based tools are being introduced and Infrastructure is being scanned for more and more applications that are cloud worthy. Keeping security in mind. Information Security teams do their due diligence for any new introduction and we as Infrastructure team make sure that we are in Compliance. Great new training opportunities as well.

Cons

Compensation should be at par with the market standards, not much of a difference, but we should be leading the market.

Advice to Management

Management is doing it right and are very supportive, rather pushy about the new changes, which is very exciting.