Clearbanc Reviews

Updated Jan 5, 2021

3.7
Clearbanc Co-Founder & CEO Andrew D'Souza (no image)
Andrew D'Souza
  1. "A Fast Company With Major Ambition"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Clearbanc full-time for more than a year

Pros

- A great place for a young, aspirational professional to gain experience in team building and leadership across multiple functional areas - Great leadership - Learn to become a subject matter expert

Cons

- Somewhat unclear career development (though improving in this area) - Lack of structure, you need to learn this yourself and be accountable - Compensation and benefits in non-developer/management roles is below average

2. COVID-19

"Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Investment Associate in Toronto, ON

I worked at Clearbanc full-time for more than a year

Pros

- You have complete autonomy over your day-to-day -You're not micro-managed and hounded for activity metrics (which is amazing if you're working from home) -The role itself is extremely self-fulfilling and unlike most sales jobs. Every sale is a little different as you're able to speak with all sorts of entrepreneurs and founders. -Great support system/leadership team that always make themselves available to their reps

Cons

-It's tough to honestly find any cons. Like most companies, Clearbanc was effected by COVID a little, they admittedly made some decisions that not everyone was happy with, but what differentiates Clearbanc from a lot of companies is that they were never afraid of going back and doing what was right. - Example of this: Guaranteeing commissions and lowering targets midway through the month when some people found that targets were too high (both on separate occasions)

December 2, 2020

Hi and thank you so much for sharing your experience at Clearbanc with us. We have an incredibly talented team that has shown us that they are capable of running with tasks, tackling challenges head on and carrying a strong passion to help our founders win. We trust that our team knows what they need to succeed and strive to support them in doing so. We are definitely not perfect. We’re always working to grow and this usually means trying new things, making mistakes and learning from them to do better next time. Thank you for growing alongside us as we navigated through a lot of changes this year. All the best in your next adventure!

"Nice at first... beware of reviews - 'engaged employer' means companies pay to manage"

2.0
    • Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Marketing in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Clearbanc full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very fast-paced Have some smart people Unlimited vacation plus time off

Cons

Very poor management across pods Lack of consistency across pods Very stifling for growth 'don't care, just get it done' attitude without any long term strategy in place very high turn over rate poor management/lack of direction and clear ownership. company prides itself on Diversity & Inclusion but there are problems on this front

November 18, 2020

Thank you for sharing your experience and providing detailed feedback that we can take action on. We’re really sorry to hear that your experience with Clearbanc is currently not meeting expectations. We strive to action your feedback to make sure that you and everyone at Clearbanc will have a better experience with each passing day. Managers are definitely a massive influence at the organization. Recently we launched a manger training program to help build their skills and hopefully impact the experience of their direct reports. It sounds like the key skills you'd like to see more of are project planning, cross functional alignment, and coaching. Please leverage the people team as a resource for internal coaching or support around having accountability conversations with your manager. Their role is to empower your success. We agree that it is important to create an environment where everyone is encouraged to speak up. To honor the quieter voices we provided alternative avenues of communication through our AMA’s, Officevibe, reaching out to us via PeopleTeam@Clearbanc.com and encouraging people to connect directly to their manager or member of the People Team they feel safe speaking to. Communication across the organization is constantly being evaluated and your point about unequal attention at all hands meeting will be deeply considered. We stand firm in our belief that radical candour should not be used as a justifiable reason to behave poorly. We introduced the practice of radical candour as a means to encourage transparency, honest growth conversations and encourage everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. If feedback is not being given appropriately please feel empowered to bring in a third party to mediate or escalate to the people team. Bullying will not be tolerated. Diversity and Inclusion is important and ongoing work. We understand that this isn’t something that we can achieve overnight so we’re listening and learning how we can be a better ally and more proactive. If you are comfortable, we'd appreciate hearing your feedback about what's broken and if you've witness exclusion or inequity. The feedback forums mentioned above include options to submit anonymously. This review notes that you are a current employee and we would really love to connect to understand the details of your experience and build tangible solutions make it right. Feel free to reach out to us at PeopleTeam@Clearbanc.com or if you prefer, to reach out directly to a member of the People Team that you feel comfortable speaking to. Alternatively, if you prefer to remain anonymous but still engage further in a conversation please reach out via Officevibe.

"The ride of my life"

Current Employee - Investment Associate Team Lead in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Clearbanc full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Best work culture I have ever been a part of - Superior leadership that takes responsibility - Exceptional colleagues and co-workers that are always pushing each other to get better - A true experience of a growth startup that allows for incredible opportunities if you are down to own and do your part - By far the best experience anyone can wish for with a group of motivated and committed individuals

Cons

Will you work long hours at a startup? That's a given. Have nothing bad to say. Not one thing. I've been super blessed to be a part of this company.

October 21, 2020

Hi and thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We really appreciate the kind words, we’re excited to have you with us on our mission to help founders win. We also agree that we’re very lucky to be working alongside such an exceptional bunch of individuals who crush it every single day. Ultimately you guys are truly what makes Clearbanc so great.

5. "Great team environment"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Clearbanc full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexibity to work remotely - there is no pressure to go into the office and it's clear they're putting our health and safety first. Team environment - everyone has been super friendly and inviting to new hires. Doing a great job at this remotely. Clear communication - they do a great job at communicating expectations and ensuring everyone is on the same page Great learning opportunity - invested in professional development

Cons

Don't have any cons to report right now.

October 21, 2020

Hi and thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. Right now, employee safety is paramount and we’re working to monitor the situation on a daily basis and will continue to find ways to support our team as more information is made available to us. Our team is made up of incredibly talented and motivated individuals and we couldn’t feel more fortunate to be on this journey with everyone. Looking forward to continue growing together and helping our founders win.

"Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - Account Director

I have been working at Clearbanc full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of room to grow. Actually helping business owners.

Cons

Very busy, but overall great.

October 22, 2020

Hi, thank you for your feedback. We take great pride in helping founders get to where they want to go. That said, we’re also always working to support and encourage the growth of our own team members as well. We understand that things can get busy at Clearbanc and we’re not your typical 9-5 but, we hope that you’re excited by the challenges we face that often keep us on our toes!

"A chance to do something meaningful"

Current Employee - Operations in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Clearbanc full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are so many companies that promise that you'll work on something meaningful, but rarely does it actually play out that way. It's a simple mission but something that really resonates with me and when you hear about the companies getting funding that couldn't have found it any other way, it feels really impactful what we're doing. We also get to do it all from Toronto! They seem to be taking a solid approach on remote work. It's not clear to me if we're doing this forever, but I don't think any one really knowns. They are taking feedback and trying out different ways to support. This goes a long way in my books. They've assembled a really smart group of people that care about building impact on a global scale.

Cons

We work like we are small company, but we're several hundred people now. It just means things are rushed and last minute. This causes frustration. We spend too much time in silos without looking up to see where everyone else is going. This means we spend more time on certain projects than required. It also means we're tripping over each other at times. The approach to compensation seems to be pretty inconsistent and not really sure how it all works.

October 22, 2020

Hi, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and feedback with us. At present, we don’t have a definitive return to office date. We’re currently keeping a close eye on updates from the Government about COVID-19 to ensure the safety of all our employees first before deciding when we can all return safely to the office on a full time basis. In the meantime to better support employees at this time we’ve offered a WFH stipend for office equipment. We understand that not everyone is set up for remote work so we want to make sure employees have the resources they need to succeed. You're totally right, we've grown so much and so quickly in the past year and with this growth means that changes need to be made in how we operate to accommodate our growth.This has been a prominent focus for us as an organization and we're building new policies and procedures to help take away from the ambiguity and get everyone on the same page. We’ve created new performance management procedures as well as development planning resources to help support our teams as we take this time to focus on our new goals that align with Clearbanc’s values. We’re striving to ensure there is clarity and consistency about everyone’s development and contributions to the company and in effect, clarity over how compensation changes are determined and made. We are so fortunate to work with such an incredibly talented team and we're so glad to hear that helping founders win resonates with you. We appreciate your detailed feedback, having this helps us to highlight areas of concern and where we can improve for the future.

"Constantly changing compensation structure. No consistency"

1.0
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Clearbanc full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some great people who work there. Decent vacation and benefits package.

Cons

Constantly changing compensation structure that is completely demotivating Lack of consistency in messaging and what we’re trying to achieve Everyone knows we are raising another round next year and it’s clear they are doing anything in their power to keep as much money In their pocket and not the reps who work hard to bring in and build relationships with founders.

September 11, 2020

Hi, thanks for your feedback. We don’t intend on providing you (or anyone) with a templated answer. We take all feedback to heart and use it to iterate on our processes. We’re a startup that ventures to try new things, adapt and overcome challenges. We’re not perfect and we don’t claim to be. Change is always going to be a constant and we have definitely pivoted our strategy more than we would have liked in 2020, given the industry we're in and the pandemic. We’re also approaching a critical time of year for our Founders and understand that some aggressive goals have been set in order to support them through it. On top of this, we get that we scaled really quickly over the last year and that itself comes with a unique set of pain points. We are constantly working to make changes to set everyone up for success and we get that sometimes working through challenges is frustrating. We noticed this review says you’re a current employee and we’d like to also invite you to reach out to us to elaborate further and share recommendations on how we can be better. We really just want to help. You can reach out via: • Officevibe (anonymous or not) • peopleteam@clearbanc.com (or any member of the People Team you feel comfortable approaching, we keep all conversations confidential) • AMAs (an opportunity to receive clarity directly from leadership) • Your manager (if you feel comfortable doing so, a member of the people team would be more than happy to be present as well should you prefer)

"Not what I expected"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Clearbanc full-time

Pros

- Fun, energetic, and mostly positive office - Work retreats, all expenses paid - Great on the resume

Cons

Sales Managers portray in training a dog eat dog environment. They want their to be internal competition, to the point where it's unhealthy. LOTS of favoritism among-st the company. Certain people are very close with management, in an unprofessional way. The company got too big too quickly, and it's not the same feel as it used to be. They promised the world when our hiring class on-boarded, and unfortunately it has not been nearly what most of us expected.

September 2, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback - you know how much we value transparency. It sounds like there are a number of concerns at play here so we've broken them down here to address them in turn, and know that we've also shared this feedback with our leadership team to action change where we are able. It sounds like you're a member of GTM, so this competitive environment feedback is especially helpful. This is a huge part of the why behind the recent change to our Sales model. We hope this has made a meaningful difference in your experience since posting this review, but we'd like your feedback on it too. We'd encourage you to reach out to the People team at peopleteam@clearbanc.com or through slack. You're also welcome to do so anonymously through Officevibe as well. Next, we take your note about 'unhealthy relationships' very seriously and would like to know more to take action. Same sentiment as above; please do use Officevibe to provide more information confidentially, or email/slack if you're open to speaking directly. Finally, you're absolutely right that we grew quickly and had to make changes as we grew to adapt to new constraints and circumstances that come with doubling headcount in a year. Hopefully you also see this as a part of our superpower and are willing to support the team as we all work through the growing pains. It sounds like you may have been a part of an onboarding class in the midst of COVID, and therefore your experience was new, remote, and likely a bit 'off'. Again, we'd love to hear more so we can improve upon this new world onboarding experience.

"Lack of leadership"

1.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Clearbanc full-time for less than a year

Pros

Cool new office. Glassdoor requires at least 5 words here...that should tell you all you need to know.

Cons

Toxic bro culture, long hours + sacrificed weekends, and awful management with clear favoritism. Miami retreat was for stroking leadership's egos, not employee satisfaction. We sat in a cold, overly air-conditioned room for 10-14 hours a day. Team-building exercises involved hanging out with the usual cliques and excessive drinking. Literally wasted over $1M instead of just paying people more. The damage control responses I'm seeing here are barely even apologetic. At least you're staying on brand!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 39 English Reviews