City of Ottawa Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Jul 16, 2020

4.2
City of Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson
Jim Watson
Pros
  • "Also, good pay during the school year(in 18 reviews)

• "Friendly team and ample support within work environment(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "long hours(in 4 reviews)

• "Regardless, I still got paid, but it was a little disappointing not to see the payoff of everyone's hard work(in 3 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. COVID-19

"Terrible job"

1.0
    Current Employee - Waste Collector

I have been working at City of Ottawa full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people I work with. Physical activity

Cons

Upper management is out of touch with how their inability to enforce current rules regarding curbside waste collection and how it has made the job extremely difficult and unpleasant. -low morale, many unhappy people -the union takes dues off our cheques but dont return phone calls. -did absolutely nothing to help us during the pandemic which resulted in many 13 hour days which still continue to this day. -poor work life balance due to excessive overtime which has caused problems with the family for some employees.

Continue reading

"It is the best of times, it is the worst of times."

2.0
    Current Employee - Supervisor, Aquatics in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at City of Ottawa part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people I work with are amazing, they're creative, enthusiastic, energetic, and dedicated. It is an honour and privilege to work alongside them and as their supervisor. They are the only reason I keep working at the City.

Cons

They do not care about the people on the frontlines, they are all about budget and protecting upper management. To the City of Ottawa, "accountability" means holding frontline staff responsible for all the irresponsible decisions or lack of action taken by upper management. No insurance / benefits for most positions, and you are kept at 24-32h a week so that you are not considered a full time staff member. Even if you've been there for more than 10 years.

Continue reading

3. "Student job, not too difficult, not very challenging, terrible boss. Outside, on site dealing with contractors all day."

Current Intern - Student Engineer II in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at City of Ottawa for less than a year

Pros

Relaxing job, good work-home balance. Learnt a lot about construction. Good job security, they offered me a job the following summer but I turned it down. Decent pay for a student. Overall, good intro to construction and engineering for students.

Cons

Boss was grumpy old guy ready to retire although his job was kind of redundant in first place. Very angry towards upper management. Might have just been the type of guy he was.

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 English Reviews

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.