City of Los Angeles Department of Public Works Reviews

Updated Jan 10, 2021

3.4
  1. "Good money, Bad work environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at City of Los Angeles Department of Public Works full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good money, hours, security and benefits.

Cons

A lot of employees hold grudges against each other just for doing their job or for no reason. City employees are extremely sensitive and love to talk behind people’s back. There’s also lots of favoritism. Employees avoiding to work with you just because you do things by the book.

Continue reading

"A Negative Star Option was not Available."

Former Employee - Environmental Engineer Associate II in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at City of Los Angeles Department of Public Works full-time for more than a year

Pros

9/80 schedule, Starbucks downstairs, and in downtown Los Angeles.

Cons

This is not a place where women are respected myself and female supervisors have received harassment and have continuously been discredited. LASAN has a very high turnaround. Management does not know how to follow basic project management such as creating a timeline, or using project management software. Toxic work environments are stagnant and not solved. Staff are scared to speak up about issues in fear of retaliation from supervisors. If you are sick, must take family leave, or take a vacation you are disciplined or judged. If I wanted to be judged like this I would have gone to a private firm, but from my experience I do not think a private firm could be more detrimental staff. Do not work here if you are a great problem solver or are passionate about engineering. Many have little to no interest in their work and the morale is low.

3. "Real great place to work"

4.0
    Current Employee - Student Worker in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at City of Los Angeles Department of Public Works part-time

Pros

Friendly people, close to home if you live in los angeles.

Cons

There is currently a hiring freeze

4. "Opportunity"

Current Employee - Civil Engineer Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at City of Los Angeles Department of Public Works full-time

Pros

As an entry level you’re able to rotate to various divisions and have the opportunity to expand your knowledge in civil engineering (structural, transportation, project management, environmental, etc)

Cons

Rotation is a mandatory 3 year min program but you’re able to promote our once your a license engineer

5. COVID-19

"Fraud, Waste, Abuse, and harassment. Oh my!"

Current Employee - Environmental Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

You get to do almost nothing all day while pretending to work. Work life balance is great as you seem to be able to not have to work your 40 hours per week and you can have your supervisor cover for you and approve time worked while you actually take the day off!

Cons

Supervisors are a joke and protect other supervisors under investigation for multiple counts of harassment (including of the sexual kind). Employees committing time fraud and wasting resources. No actual care for the environment. Upper management are power hungry. Supervisors do not train new employees and expect other employees (not properly trained) to do their job for them. Supervisors will also actively lie and pull extreme nepotism to get their unqualified family/friends in. And let's not forget the joke that new retirement benefits are and the pay discrepancy that has been created for many young individuals trying to live in this high cost of living city. All created by the management now running failing projects and programs. Also will be made fun of if even slightly different from the chauvinistic and crude views still held by supposed "highly qualified engineers".

6. "Good Place"

Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at City of Los Angeles Department of Public Works full-time

Pros

Good Place to work, I like it

Cons

Nothing bad to say about my work

"Civil Engineering L.A County"

Former Employee - Civil Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at City of Los Angeles Department of Public Works full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This is a great firm to work for if you are lucky to get your chance through the front door. They have all the benefits one can imagine. If you have a good colleague you will get some good training; everything is teachable. No late nights learning the material. They dont expect much of you. If you like city construction, hydraulics, structural and transportation this is the place to be. They really do quite a variety of project per month. There is so many employees there will always be someone to help you.

Cons

Although getting through the front door is not easy. The interviews are quite brutal and devastating. You will never get a result or feedback on your performance. So always plan ahead and don't throw all your eggs in one basket. Remember Private pays more.

"Conscious bias"

Current Employee - GIS Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Good pay and benefits. 40 hour or 9/80 work week available.

Cons

Conscious bias on women. Woman assigned medial tasks while the men get the more challenging jobs. Prior experience and education is not considered.

"Not For Me"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at City of Los Angeles Department of Public Works full-time

Pros

You get one hour for lunch. City benefits. You can choose your schedule.

Cons

Boring. You'll develop physical issues from sitting at the desk. All your co-workers seem fake with fake laughs. People seem like they're not interested in working but to chat away in the halls about first world problems or some shin dig they did or plan to do in the weekend.

10. "Great Staff"

I have been working at City of Los Angeles Department of Public Works

Pros

Great work-life balance plus a good pay

Cons

none, although work might get a bit boring depending on the department

Viewing 1 - 10 of 27 English Reviews