Circus World Displays "company events" Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Circus World Displays Employee Reviews about "company events"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Environment - Great Job"

I have been working at Circus World Displays full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Atmosphere. Educational Funding. Encouraged to grow as an individual. Opportunity for advancement. Company events. Benefits. Paid vacation. Dedicated team. Tough hiring process to ensure the best candidate. Recognition.

Cons

Suggestive of only having 3 sick days as per contract.

2. "Great Work Atmosphere"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Niagara Falls, ON

I have been working at Circus World Displays (More than 8 years)

Pros

-Awesome company events, monthly luncheons, out of office team events, yearly family picnic
    -Benefit package
    -Outstanding bereavement leave if required
    -Our department manager easy to talk to
    -Company owners easy to approach and share personal conversations with

Cons

At times improving work procedures takes a bit to time due to all resources have to check it out.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your team members. Happy team members only produce great results

3. "Great place to build your career!"

Current Employee - Current Employee
    Current Employee - Current Employee

Pros

Positive work environment, team orientated, training for team members,company events, monthly lunches, work life balance

Cons

I do not think there are any cons

5. "It"

Pros

- Full time work (unlike all the seasonal jobs you find in Niagara Falls)
    - Benefits - No employers have to offer them and many don't. This was a huge plus for me.
    - Learning opportunity - I have learned so much overall
    - Family (and yes I said family) The people that work here genuinely care about one another. I LOVE my team and there is nothing I wouldn't do to help them, work or personal.
    - BOD's - No one seems to have anything nice to say to them. Dj made an honest effort when I was first hired to learn my name and ensure to stop by my work station to actually ask me "How is your training going, do you like it here so far" When my grandmother died they sent me a fruit basket, when I got engaged they gave me a card with money inside. No companyies have to do anything I just listed but they did because the truly care.
    -Education reimbursement - Not only did I get my tuition reimbursed for the course I took while employed they also offer you a fund to be able to take additional training.
    -Company events & BBQ's

Cons

- People leave and the departments are told you just need to prioritize tasks. We don't need more people we need a better way of doing things. This may be true in some aspects but when your team goes from 10 people to 5 you can only prioritize things so much until tasks are missed. Then we are looked down upon and put on corrective action plans. If we were not doing the work of 3 people our results would be better.
    -There is a lot of micromanagement. Decision can often take along time to be made due to this as they are not always available.
    - Need to be more realistic with time frames. They said "This should only take 30 minutes" But in actuality the task literally takes an hour or 2.

Advice to Management

-Your trying to go on the right path. Keep it up and you will get there
    -Since I have started there has been a lot of improvement.

6. "Great Company with Great Employees!"

I have been working at Circus World Displays full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Fast paced never boring
    - great atmosphere with great employees
    - Genuinely love what I get to do everyday
    - Benefits
    - great company events, rewards, department lunches, contests, draws, parties, monthly lunches on the company etc.
    - Paid training - whether it be finishing a degree, diploma, or professional development the company will support you
    - discount on products
    - everyone has a part in creating great consumer electronics
    - company is constantly growing and there are many opportunities to advance
    - BOD has recently really begun to put forth an extra effort to make the company a better place by having an open forum where everyone in the company has an opportunity to address any ideas or concerns to help improve the company

Things to consider:

- to really be successful at this company you need to prove you are a valuable asset.
    - being negative is not the way to get through in this company. It is definitely picked up on and can hinder your experience and and ability to progress in the company.

Cons

- Company is lead by 2 managing directors who may not always be on the same page all the time. This can cause some bottlenecks in projects. Adapting to both different managing styles can also be a challenge, as their pace and processes are very different.
    - management needs to have a bit more authority to make decisions

Advice to Management

- Have a little more trust in your employees to make decisions that will better the company and products
    - Keep investing in employees professional development

SIDE NOTE: Most of the negative reviews are from former employees for a reason. Also we were encouraged to write HONEST reviews. No one is forced to do anything. I stand by review! This is a great company to work for in a great area.

7. "Rapid Growth Organization"

I have been working at Circus World Displays full-time

Pros

Lots of room for growth, fantastic culture, company events, luncheons, give-aways etc.

Cons

Growing pains: Company is running on very lean staffing. Stress can often be high in the wake of a fast paced and ever-growing/ever changing environment. Days can be long, and pressure can be high at times.

8. "It's Alright"

I have been working at Circus World Displays full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Its a cool place to work. Nothing majorly negative about the place. If you are good at what you do, you get appreciated. There is a conscious effort to build an excellent team. The workers around are all knowledgeable at what they do and the passion about their work is there to see. Though company events happen at the same places year in year out, they are fun times. Its is a good place to get work experience if you are a recent graduate. They like recent grads. If you got a good idea about a process, such proposals are always welcome

Cons

At the end of the day, this is a family owned business so the owners do what they like and they have the final say at the end of the day. Not much to do about that. Everything is micro managed and that at times delay decision making. Once you get used to that, it doesn't become a con but a norm.

Advice to Management

Company is growing really fast and so maybe managers should be given some increased level of autonomy with decision making and responsibility for the outcomes of those decisions.

"A place where you can make a difference"

I have been working at Circus World Displays full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- A Toronto-like company in Niagara. Didn't need to leave home to do what I love.
    - People here are awesome to work with. Friendly, funny and unique.
    - Room to grow. The company is growing every year and believes in internal promotion, There are a lot of opportunities for someone to learn and move up even cross department.
    - Culture: great company events, contests, draws, parties, monthly lunches on the company, example: costumes and department treat or treating on Halloween.
    - Training (paid training) has always been a part of CWD, if the employee inquired. Now they are even developing and suggesting training programs for employees to take advantage of.
    - Recognition programs
    - Half price on all CWD products, plus CWD bucks to use towards those already half price products. Stuff like: Home Theater speakers, docks, wireless technology, turntables, baby monitors, security systems.

Cons

Not cons, things to consider:

- Face paced: team members must be adaptable, flexible, open minded, organized, manage & prioritize tasks
    - Be ready to work, show your value and contribute. No person here floats.
    - You can make a difference at this company if you try. You do need to put an effort in and give solutions, instead of complain.
    - Do not expect to come out of college/university and make the amount an experienced professional in your field does. Also, Niagara region does not pay Toronto wages.
    - I'm sure like everywhere there are people who like to "hate the man". Stay away from Negative Nancy's they'll drag you down.

Advice to Management

- Keep on the path of investing in your employees and making CWD a social place.
    - Get rid of silly rules that make people grumble like coffee before 10am. Leave that with their managers.
    - Make sure everywhere has an understanding of where we are are going as a company and why. Invite them to share in that vision.
    - I suggest sprucing the buildings up a bit more

10. "Exciting and Interesting Work Environment"

Current Employee - Online Marketing Assistant in Niagara Falls, ON
    Current Employee - Online Marketing Assistant in Niagara Falls, ON

I have been working at Circus World Displays full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working at CWD for 3.5 years, when I come into work I am excited to get started.

Pros:
    - Work is fun and not repetitive, problem solving is rewarding
    - some examples of unique fun tasks: Setting up contests and product giveaways, handling brand social media, advertising on external websites (low opportunity for jobs like this in Niagara)
    - Meetings allow to express ideas that are valued
    - CWD is always willing to improve your knowledge (webinars, seminars, conferences etc.)
    - Prestigious work space, dual monitors for everyone (some get 3) nice wood desks, fast computers
    - Great discounts on cool products
    - Lots of dinners and lunches
    - Fun company events quarterly
    - Company paid business trips all over the US and Asia
    - CWD is focused on the growing online retail industry, a growing industry
    - I get to create my own role (certain aspects) and not just listen to demands of a higher up.
    - If there is a task or process that doesn't make sense, my opinion is valued enough to change it and get results.

Cons

- When people ask me what I do its hard to explain since the job is so unique (internet marketing)
    - Work flow coming in from different directions, everyone's goals are important to them so each task is deemed urgent, since these tasks aren't tracked they seem like favors and don't help your personal end goal
    - Certain job roles are set up for success more then others
    - Time management, some days are a roller coaster of email responding and troubleshooting
    - Certain tasks are deemed #1 priority one week then are forgotten the next week

11. "Great Little Company"

I have been working at Circus World Displays full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been working here for a little over a year now. It's been a great experience so far. The people are great, company is fun, pay is good, and the job is unique (never boring).

-Training is excellent. They walk you through everything to ensure you're ready for the job.
    - Work/life balance is highly encouraged.
    - Fun department and company events almost monthly.
    - Good benefits.
    - Pay starts off at low-medium, but increases significantly after a year.
    - Management is good; patient, willing to listen, encourages you to express your opinions and ask questions.
    - The company is always looking at ways to keep their employees happy. I.e. product giveaways, recognition board, discounts, CWD "bucks".
    - Smaller company means we all know each other fairly well and enjoy working together.
    - Fast-paced environment means you can learn a lot very quickly and gain more experience in less time.

Cons

- Turnover rate is fairly high, although I'm not really sure why.
    - Environment is fast paced. Don't think you can lazily sneak your way up the ladder here. Organization and self-discipline are important traits you'll need to be successful.
    - Some silly little rules like no coffee breaks before 10 am.
    - Too many SOPs to follow.
    - Everything you do needs to be approved by management, which can really slow things down.