Circus World Displays Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Full-timePart-time

3.9
Raj Jain and Deepak Jain

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/life balance and full use of vacation time encouraged (in 10 reviews)

• Awesome company events, monthly luncheons, out of office team events, yearly family picnic (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Board of directors two brothers (in 3 reviews)

• Employees are expected to stay late on a regular basis (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great company!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Niagara Falls, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Niagara Falls, ON

I worked at Circus World Displays full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great learning opportunities
    - Fast paced environment, always changing
    - the business is growing so quickly that the opportunity for growth is endless
    - Great corporate culture- monthly summer BBQs, fun events (make your own Sundae, family picnics)
    - Salary is in line with market
    - The company is progressive- always looking for new and better ways of doing things, never stagnant
    - Tons of internal opportunities to progress your career
    - Owners strongly promote work life balance

Cons

- The work pace is fast, but those that can't keep up shouldn't be in that industry!

Advice to Management

- Great work!
    - Strong corporate culture- keep it up!

"Rapid growth company"

I have been working at Circus World Displays full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Continuous year over year financial growth/success despite competing in hyper-competetive market segments and current period of global economic uncertainty
    -Rapid company growth frequently opening up new positions and opportunities for internal staff
    -Now a medium size business (100+ staff); opinions and ideas are valued, listened to and promoted from all levels of the company
    -Compensation is fair, those who achieve are well rewarded
    -Excellent HR screening process, it's a pleasure to work with positive and inspired individuals. The few bad apples/poor performers that get thru are typically dealt with promptly
    -Company committed to work/life balance
    -Company committed to continuous improvement, utilizes staff to create and implement change, not a top-down/trickle-down approach
    -Young workforce, often ambitious and energetic

Cons

-Relatively high employee turnover(~20%), causes minor disruptions to business flow
    -Due to rapid growth, some departments/autonomy/procedures not keeping up with the needs of the business
    -Young workforce, inexperience sometimes a hinderance

Advice to Management

-Continue to push towards vision/goals

3. "A great company that creates what's different."

Pros

- Company's policies and procedures make sense to me.
    - Individual differences are respected, valued and admired here.
    - Physical working conditions are very good.
    - Management is doing a good job attracting quality team members.

Cons

- Should have training provided by vendor/partner to employees for a 100% product know how.
    - Company should match current pay scale according to current salary standard on specific roles to retain quality team members.

Advice to Management

Management should continue their AFFILIATIVE style to maintain harmony with employees. People first, task second. Motivating keeping employees happy.

5. "Great Place to Kickoff My Professional Career!"

Current Employee - Marketing in Niagara Falls, ON
    Current Employee - Marketing in Niagara Falls, ON

I have been working at Circus World Displays full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CWD is an excellent place to work. I've been at CWD for just under 2 years and report to one of the Managing Directors of the company.

For anyone who reads these reviews on GlassDoor, I would highly recommend applying and seeing if CWD is a good fit for you.

-Hire recent College/University Grads. This is encouraging to see.
    -Employer cares about the general well-being of the employees. Work/life balance and full use of vacation time encouraged.
    -Collaboration with fellow employees makes the creative process a lot easier.
    -Fun to go to work everyday knowing you're helping to create real world products that you might use in your everyday life.
    -Opinion is valued and your feedback is at the very least considered and taken seriously.
    -Marketing team is allowed to experiment and test ideas/concepts pretty freely. You're encouraged to get away from your desk.
    -Fun team events every few months with the cost fully covered by employer. Giveaways of products all the time.
    -Director is accommodating and understanding for personal issues that may require time off.
    -Director is incredibly down to earth despite success of the company - Approachable and encourages you to seek advice.

Product Managers are very knowledgeable, Designers are talented, Marketing Team is creative and those that stick around here for 2+ years tend to fit in well to the culture of the workplace.

Like any job, as an employee, it's important to leave your ego at the door. Being open to others opinions/experiences and not having a "know-it-all" attitude is an important factor for success at CWD. Stubbornness and Negativity do not fare well.

Cons

-Things are constantly changing here. You need to be very sharp and willing to move onto another project on a whim.
    -Due to growth and changes, sometimes following proper procedures can become overwhelming to follow.

Advice to Management

Continue to work towards growth of company and reward those who stick to the company road map

6. "Great place to work from entry level up!"

Current Employee - Employee in Niagara Falls, ON
    Current Employee - Employee in Niagara Falls, ON

I have been working at Circus World Displays full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive wages with a growing company. Upper management and CEO's know your name and you are treated as a person and not as a number. They often take time to speak to you and value your honest opinion. From day one I was welcomed by other team members and management with open arms and have never felt more comfortable in a career. It is a very fast paced environment, which may not be for everyone but it is that challenge, I crave. Job satisfaction and seeing the recognition for a job well done helps with self worth and who doesn't enjoy being praised or receiving koodos for a job well done? From entry level to mid and upper management there is room to grow within the company and they look to promote from within. With everything I have learned in my time here, I can honestly say this is the best job I have ever had and I am looking for a long term career here.

Cons

As with any small growing company, there is bound to be growing pangs, but if you take these lessons and learn you are better off and will get farther in life and in your career.

7. "Exciting and Interesting Work Environment"

Current Employee - Online Marketing Assistant in Niagara Falls, ON
    Current Employee - Online Marketing Assistant in Niagara Falls, ON

I have been working at Circus World Displays full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working at CWD for 3.5 years, when I come into work I am excited to get started.

Pros:
    - Work is fun and not repetitive, problem solving is rewarding
    - some examples of unique fun tasks: Setting up contests and product giveaways, handling brand social media, advertising on external websites (low opportunity for jobs like this in Niagara)
    - Meetings allow to express ideas that are valued
    - CWD is always willing to improve your knowledge (webinars, seminars, conferences etc.)
    - Prestigious work space, dual monitors for everyone (some get 3) nice wood desks, fast computers
    - Great discounts on cool products
    - Lots of dinners and lunches
    - Fun company events quarterly
    - Company paid business trips all over the US and Asia
    - CWD is focused on the growing online retail industry, a growing industry
    - I get to create my own role (certain aspects) and not just listen to demands of a higher up.
    - If there is a task or process that doesn't make sense, my opinion is valued enough to change it and get results.

Cons

- When people ask me what I do its hard to explain since the job is so unique (internet marketing)
    - Work flow coming in from different directions, everyone's goals are important to them so each task is deemed urgent, since these tasks aren't tracked they seem like favors and don't help your personal end goal
    - Certain job roles are set up for success more then others
    - Time management, some days are a roller coaster of email responding and troubleshooting
    - Certain tasks are deemed #1 priority one week then are forgotten the next week

"Great Advancement Opportunities and Environment"

Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Niagara Falls, ON
    Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Niagara Falls, ON

I have been working at Circus World Displays full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Despite some of the posted reviews, I have had nothing short of a great experience with Circus World Displays. I have been afforded and coached towards opportunities for advancement along with increases in wage comparable to increases in responsibilities. Management is open to recommendation and change when required to meet business and employee needs leading to a dynamic and enjoyable workplace. They are always releasing and researching new products, the company is continuing to grow. Training is practically one on one and top notch. I have and will continue to refer friends to this company.

Cons

If I had to list a con, it may be that the interview process for some positions may take longer than you expect, but is completely worth the wait as they want to be sure they have the right candidate.

Advice to Management

Further building expansion for growing departments may be needed in the future.

"A place where you can make a difference"

I have been working at Circus World Displays full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- A Toronto-like company in Niagara. Didn't need to leave home to do what I love.
    - People here are awesome to work with. Friendly, funny and unique.
    - Room to grow. The company is growing every year and believes in internal promotion, There are a lot of opportunities for someone to learn and move up even cross department.
    - Culture: great company events, contests, draws, parties, monthly lunches on the company, example: costumes and department treat or treating on Halloween.
    - Training (paid training) has always been a part of CWD, if the employee inquired. Now they are even developing and suggesting training programs for employees to take advantage of.
    - Recognition programs
    - Half price on all CWD products, plus CWD bucks to use towards those already half price products. Stuff like: Home Theater speakers, docks, wireless technology, turntables, baby monitors, security systems.

Cons

Not cons, things to consider:

- Face paced: team members must be adaptable, flexible, open minded, organized, manage & prioritize tasks
    - Be ready to work, show your value and contribute. No person here floats.
    - You can make a difference at this company if you try. You do need to put an effort in and give solutions, instead of complain.
    - Do not expect to come out of college/university and make the amount an experienced professional in your field does. Also, Niagara region does not pay Toronto wages.
    - I'm sure like everywhere there are people who like to "hate the man". Stay away from Negative Nancy's they'll drag you down.
    - Company is lead by 2 managing directors who may not always be on the same page all the time. This can cause some bottlenecks in projects. Adapting to both different managing styles can also be a challenge, as their pace and processes are very different.

Advice to Management

- Keep on the path of investing in your employees and making CWD a social place.
    - Get rid of silly rules that make people grumble like coffee before 10am. Leave that with their managers.
    - Make sure everywhere has an understanding of where we are are going as a company and why. Invite them to share in that vision.
    - I suggest sprucing the buildings up a bit more

10. "Creative and Forward Thinking"

Current Employee - Assistant Product Manager in Niagara Falls, ON
    Current Employee - Assistant Product Manager in Niagara Falls, ON

I have been working at Circus World Displays full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Creative and Forward Thinking!
    Teamwork Approach
    Always Striving for Excellence
    Stable and Considerate
    Poised for Massive Growth
    Standard Operating Procedures

Cons

The company is currently in a high growth period so restructuring presents its challenges. Too many balls in the air sometimes. I think all companies struggle with these issues. Strive for faster more educated decision making.

Advice to Management

Continue to align the company to your vision
    Allow yourself to grow and build trust in your employees.

11. "Room to Grow, Positive environment"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Niagara Falls, ON
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Niagara Falls, ON

I have been working at Circus World Displays full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity to gain experience.
    Fast paced, rarely do you ever have a chance to be bored.
    Suggestions for improvement are taken seriously and implemented to better the company when it makes sense and meets business needs.
    Encouragement to move up in the company and seek out what part of the business suits your skills.
    It is a very positive environment.

Cons

Things can be delayed, yearly reviews being one.