Found 7 of over 140 reviews
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Challenged by horrible current leadership that does not care about the overall well" (in 3 reviews)
- "Upper management is not chosen based on being the 'best candidate' for the job or promoted based on experience and leadership; rather they are selected based on political allegiances and loyalty." (in 3 reviews)
- "Long hours due to shortage of man power" (in 3 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of Chicago Police Department and is not affected by filters.
Reviews about "pension"Return to all Reviews
- 4.0Jan 25, 2009DetectiveCurrent EmployeeChicago, IL
Having job stability is an important part of my career. In this time of economic crisis, it is reasurring that I will not be laid off.The benefits are pretty good. I can retire with a full pension at 29years with 75% of my salary. I don't think you will find that in private industry.
The department is very political. A significant amount a promotions are Merit (political).1
- 4.0Nov 30, 2021Police OfficerCurrent Employee, more than 5 years
Good medical insurance Lots of over time opportunities Starting salary is good Many different units Promotional opportunities Vacation/comp time / personal days can be valuable
Days off getting cancelled Poor leadership from the city Days off get cancelled frequently= forced OT 🤷♂️ Pension is being depleted Must live within Chicago Constant low morale Can be cliquish.
- 2.0May 12, 2022Police OfficerCurrent Employee, more than 5 yearsChicago, IL
Great coworkers. Overtime? Benefits. Pension.
Honestly, too many to list. I would say they "only treat you like a number", but that would be an improvement.
- 5.0May 10, 2015Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee, more than 10 years
Best job for independent work, challenges, danger, excitement and a true community service commitment.
Minimum of ten years to be vested. Twenty years for a 50% pension. Hope the system is still intact At retirement.