Found 14 of over 140 reviews
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
What are your colleagues talking about?
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Challenged by horrible current leadership that does not care about the overall well" (in 3 reviews)
- "Upper management is not chosen based on being the 'best candidate' for the job or promoted based on experience and leadership; rather they are selected based on political allegiances and loyalty." (in 3 reviews)
- "Long hours due to shortage of man power" (in 3 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of Chicago Police Department and is not affected by filters.
Reviews about "opportunity"Return to all Reviews
- 4.0Dec 16, 2013PatrolmanCurrent Employee, more than 10 yearsChicago, IL
There were many opportunities for varied tasks.
Having some clout helps move you up the ladder.1
- 4.0Nov 30, 2021Police OfficerCurrent Employee, more than 5 years
Good medical insurance Lots of over time opportunities Starting salary is good Many different units Promotional opportunities Vacation/comp time / personal days can be valuable
Days off getting cancelled Poor leadership from the city Days off get cancelled frequently= forced OT 🤷♂️ Pension is being depleted Must live within Chicago Constant low morale Can be cliquish.
- 1.0Jan 10, 2016Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee
Very good starting salary which advances quickly. Benefits are good too. Many opportunities for advancement due to many retirements of aging work force. But you must test well.
Bad work conditions and public perception. Several policy changes that are making the job almost impossible and very unsafe. City does not support the Department and is constantly trying to deminish retirement benefits.1
- 5.0Sept 8, 2017Police OfficerCurrent Employee, more than 10 yearsChicago, IL
The job offers a lot of opportunity to grow. It allows an officer the opportunity to show the public the positive of policing as you serve the citys an officer the opportunity to show the public the positive of policing as you serve the citys an officer the opportunity to show the public the positive of policing as you serve the city of Chicago.
The public often times don't have or get the opportunity to see the positive side of policing because of lack of personal contact with the police. The media hardly ever shows the positive side of policing.
- 1.0May 21, 2015Anonymous EmployeeCurrent EmployeeChicago, IL
Offers great benefits and decent salary. Thankless but fulfilling job. Endless opportunities for lateral and upward advancement.
Difficult to build relationships in this day of age. Like with any job bad management and supervisors can lead to bad morale.