Centro Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Sep 22, 2020

4.1
Centro Founder & CEO Shawn Riegsecker
Shawn Riegsecker
Pros
  • "I never thought I would ever find a place where I could work on cool problems AND have a great work life balance until I came to Centro(in 30 reviews)

• "Centro has a great benefits package(in 25 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The bonus structure changed almost yearly, never to the benefit of anyone who wasn't upper management(in 8 reviews)

• "Ramp-up on the product is a bit steep, but seems to be the nature of ad tech(in 6 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

No Egos - Great work environment

Jan 23, 2019 - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

People you work with: + People are willing to listen and take in your opinion (regardless of what level you/they are in) + People do not have huge egos (or at least they manageable) + People do good work (most of the time) Office: + New Toronto office is pretty cool, right at Union Station, part of WeWorks - so unlimited beers, and frequent events. Extra Stuff: + Above average pay (for Canada) + Standard benefits ( RRSP matching upto 4% of Salary, health, dental...) + Good work/life balance + Flexible work hours + Unlimited vacation

Cons

- Flexible work hours (sometime it gets hard to reach a decision when people are in the office at different times) In the previous years when the company was struggling some of the company goals were unrealistic, which caused us to not hit the bonus.

6 people found this review helpful
    2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work

Apr 18, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Led by a founder CEO who is really passionate about the products, and one of the few executives I've seen that leads the company in a very wholesome way with a focus on happiness, giving, collaboration, and truly caring for our customers and making their life better. Very smart and talented teams that collaborate well, and know how to produce kick-ass products while having fun. Great work-life balance.

Cons

There's really not much to complain about - I've been really happy working here.

9 people found this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

A wonderful place to work, grow and be part of a fast paced start-up like environment

Dec 16, 2014 - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fast paced environment. The company is still growing at a rapid speed. So a lot of opportunity to grow and learn and make your own future. Great Benefits Average/Above Average salaries Great work life balance Friday Happy hour . .a wonderful opportunity to enjoy a few drinks after work and mingle with co-workers

Cons

Too many amazing things and great people all around. A lot happening all the time. Sometimes its easy to loose focus and get distracted.

4 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0

Great company

Jun 11, 2018 - Software Developer in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

I`ve worked in many IT companies, Centro is one of the best. Good work/life balance. Unlimited vacation + home office when needed. Newest technologies. People, people, people!

Cons

Not the best location and office building in Toronto (amazing in Chicago). Hopefully will be changed soon.

5 people found this review helpful
    5. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great Place To Learn About Programmatic

Mar 16, 2018 - Customer Success Specialist in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Awesome people; there's definitely a "family" vibe here - A great hands-on learning experience for all things programmatic (if you would've asked me what a "pixel" was 3 years ago, I would have thought you were asking me about the quality of my phone's camera...) - Flexible time off - Great work/life balance - Snacks and bevvies (yay!) - Above average salary - Open-door policy with management (speaking for the Toronto office; I've never worked in the other offices) - We're encouraged to give feedback on product updates, and share feature requests from clients The people I have worked with both in the Toronto office, and [virtually] within the offices in the US, are friendly and knowledgeable in what they do. There are people here who I will miss, and I wish I could pack them up into my laptop bag and take them with me to my next adventure.

Cons

- Snacks and bevvies (I've gained 10 lbs since being here... thanks a lot...) - Bonuses are not consistent. We're paid well, and a lot of companies don't have bonus structures anyway, but this is still worth acknowledging. - Changes in "structure/management/product focus/etc." is exciting in my opinion, but can understandably be confusing at times. This seems to be the norm at a lot of tech companies. Not quite a "con", but it's something to be aware of if change makes you uncomfortable.

5 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

My favorite company thus far

Sep 22, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

I never thought I would ever find a place where I could work on cool problems AND have a great work life balance until I came to Centro. I had previously worked at places where I may have had an amazing work life balance, but was bored with the problems I worked on/pace of the company. I've also been at places where I worked on super cutting edge problems, but at the cost of having to work crazy hours and get burned out. Here at Centro, I can honestly say that I am able to have both. The employees I've been around are all super smart, yet humble, and not overly competitive like I've seen at other places. People are always willing to help, and we all collectively recognize that we're in this together and doing our best!

Cons

We have a gorgeous office downtown, and as much as I enjoy the flexibility of remote work during covid, I miss going there!

1 person found this review helpful

Centro Response

Centro

Thank you for taking the time to share your enthusiasm for Centro! We are thrilled that you are passionate about your work, and are able to maintain a great work life balance. We are so grateful for our employees and know we can only continue to be successful through the work and well-being of each individual. We miss the office too and are looking forward to when we are able to go back! If you have any additional feedback or questions, please email us at tellusmore@centro.net. -Emily, EVP, Talent and Development

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Best Decision I've Ever Made

Mar 5, 2020 - Human Resources in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

They truly empower us to be the expert in our field. They care! I've never felt more appreciated. Leadership across the company in on point. Work, life balance is truly a thing here. Benefits are great!

Cons

I would't say there really are any true cons, we all have bad days and nothing is perfect. But I have zero regrets coming to Centro.

2 people found this review helpful

Centro Response

Centro

Thank you for your kind feedback! One of our proudest accomplishments is that our people feel empowered, appreciated, and supported. We’re excited to continue to set the example in the industry with people like you on the team! If you have any additional feedback or questions, please email us at tellusmore@centro.net. -EVP, Talent and Development

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

There is a reason that Centro keeps making the list for best places to work!

Apr 4, 2015 - Campaign Manager in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Centro has so many great perks, but I would say that the company culture is the best thing. Centro offers such an engaging atmosphere that encourages all employees to become a better version of themselves. Centro has great health/dental benefits, 15 days paid vacation, 10 Ferris Bueller (personal) days, fresh fruit delivery, snacks in every office, gym reimbursement, great happy hours, stock options and a 401 (k) match. The 401 (k) match is very generous which is 50% up to 8% of your salary and great work/life balance. The manifesto and Shawn's vision for Centro revolves around employee development and becoming a better version of yourself. You can really tell since Centro does invest in their employees. One of the pros that gets skimmed over is education piece. Centro offers leadership training sessions amongst many others that are missing in most companies. Centro also encourages their employees to find their own track within the company and your managers will get you to the next step if you show the effort. Centro truly is a great place to work!

Cons

I really can't think of too many cons about Centro, but if I had to pick one I would say being in a satellite office. I think the smaller offices do not have the same culture vibe as the larger ones.

11 people found this review helpful
    9. 2.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

The recent bad reviews are a cry for help. Please help.

May 2, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work-life balance and unlimited vacation.

Cons

I am sad that current employees feel they can only resort to social media posts to voice their concerns about the company. This is because a) candid feedback is only acknowledged and addressed if it is positive and b) going to your manager or HR is unfortunately ineffective. So many current employees feel trapped when it comes to voicing true concerns or simply wanting support to address a negative issue. I can tell you, I am really discouraged that every single piece of negative input is viewed as the employee’s own fault or, even more disappointingly, not a culture fit. I can assure you plenty of strong employees with a solid commitment to Centro feel their negative input gets turned on its head. It couldn’t possibly be our leadership’s fault, right? Of course not! It’s our problem to solve. That’s what we are told. Or if you don’t like it, please see the door. Old Centro would not even recognize today’s Centro with how clueless (or ignorant) it is to the current climate.

23 people found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Really fun people, rewarding work and GREAT happy hours

Mar 4, 2015 - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Working on building a scalable web platform that users will interact with 8 hours a day. - Huge learning opportunity. Lot of very unique problems to solve in the advertising industry. - Flexibility to work in any area of engineering. You're looked at as a full stack engineer. - Monthly happy hours are extremely fun. - CEO is very approachable, and actively seeks feedback. - Quite easily the best work/life balance. - Culture speaks for itself, having won best place to work for the past 4 years.

Cons

- Lot of process changes made it tough to get into a rhythm. - There's experienced developers and architects, then a considerable drop-off.

11 people found this review helpful