Centro Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Centro Founder & CEO Shawn Riegsecker
Shawn Riegsecker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Company is growing rapidly and as a result it seems some policies are enforced differently by department, creating a inconsistency" (in 8 reviews)

• "The bonus structure changed almost yearly, never to the benefit of anyone who wasn't upper management" (in 7 reviews)

1. "Customer Success Specialist"

I worked at Centro full-time

Pros

great management and colleagues, unlimited vacation, room for groth

Cons

Pay is not the highest

"Fantastic Place to Work"

I have been working at Centro full-time

Pros

Amazing company culture
    Great working environment
    You feel on the forefront of Ad Tech

Cons

There is sometimes a large disconnect between departments

"Great company"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Centro full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I`ve worked in many IT companies, Centro is one of the best.
    Good work/life balance.
    Unlimited vacation + home office when needed.
    Newest technologies.
    People, people, people!

Cons

Not the best location and office building in Toronto (amazing in Chicago). Hopefully will be changed soon.

"Sad state of affairs. Job seekers: look elsewhere!"

I worked at Centro full-time

Pros

The employees themselves are great, talented people.

Cons

Centro USED to be a great place to work, even winning awards in this particular category. However, the proof is in the pudding and over the past year or two, the culture has declined substantially to a point where it's completely unrecognizable. The last award we took home for best place to work was in 2016.

First of all, it feels like some of the female leaders at this company are setting women back 100 years. All of the progress we see in the media with women coming together is the opposite of what's happening at Centro if you report into certain women. Regardless of how hard you work, how passionate you are about helping the company do well, and how loyal you've been as an employee, there is an immature level of cattiness that supersedes and nothing else matters. Far too many talented people have either left Centro this year or been pushed out because of the declining culture and lack of respect towards employees, and the leadership team, CEO included, refuses to take any accountability, even when the churn rate is shockingly high. Their response when someone incredibly talented leaves? Don't let the door hit you on the way out! But on the bright side, other great companies recognize this talent and are swooping people up quickly so it's a win-win. If you're considering Centro for your next place of employment, turn around and look elsewhere. There are other companies out there that will appreciate your talent more than Centro. And just like the person in the May 2nd post mentioned, unfortunately employees have to resort to Glassdoor to voice our concerns because no one in HR or the exec team are accepting of feedback without it being used against you.

Advice to Management

Your leadership team needs a shuffle. Your friendships have become a major conflict of interest and there are certain people in power positions without the appropriate subject matter knowledge and leadership experience just because they've been at Centro since the early days. You're getting away from what matters, which is building a great product and culture, and focusing too much on ego and politics.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Centro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Led by a founder CEO who is really passionate about the products, and one of the few executives I've seen that leads the company in a very wholesome way with a focus on happiness, giving, collaboration, and truly caring for our customers and making their life better.

Very smart and talented teams that collaborate well, and know how to produce kick-ass products while having fun.

Great work-life balance.

Cons

There's really not much to complain about - I've been really happy working here.

Advice to Management

You've built a great culture, so make sure to maintain this, as it helps attract the right folks that make this such a great place to be.

"Centro is a Great Place to Work at!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Centro full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- super nice friendly colleagues
    - everyone is respectable and kind
    - open culture, you can go directly and talk to anyone in the office, even your boss's boss
    - great culture in the office
    - amazing minds to work with and learn from

Cons

- no con as such
    - been working here for a while now and every morning i wake up, i look forward to coming to work

Advice to Management

- keep doing what you are doing, change is essential and you are on the right path

"Great Place To Learn About Programmatic"

Former Employee - Customer Success Specialist in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Customer Success Specialist in Toronto, ON

I worked at Centro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Awesome people; there's definitely a "family" vibe here
    - A great hands-on learning experience for all things programmatic (if you would've asked me what a "pixel" was 3 years ago, I would have thought you were asking me about the quality of my phone's camera...)
    - Flexible time off
    - Great work/life balance
    - Snacks and bevvies (yay!)
    - Above average salary
    - Open-door policy with management (speaking for the Toronto office; I've never worked in the other offices)
    - We're encouraged to give feedback on product updates, and share feature requests from clients

The people I have worked with both in the Toronto office, and [virtually] within the offices in the US, are friendly and knowledgeable in what they do. There are people here who I will miss, and I wish I could pack them up into my laptop bag and take them with me to my next adventure.

Cons

- Snacks and bevvies (I've gained 10 lbs since being here... thanks a lot...)
    - Bonuses are not consistent. We're paid well, and a lot of companies don't have bonus structures anyway, but this is still worth acknowledging.
    - Changes in "structure/management/product focus/etc." is exciting in my opinion, but can understandably be confusing at times. This seems to be the norm at a lot of tech companies. Not quite a "con", but it's something to be aware of if change makes you uncomfortable.

Advice to Management

Not just to management, but to everyone:
    - Always be transparent; bad news is better than being kept in the dark.
    - Be open to change, and be willing to accept that companies face challenges when they grow. No matter where you are - things won't be perfect 100% of the time; understanding of this will help you appreciate the highs, and brace for the lows.
    - Rather than speaking poorly of a company, be thankful for the learning experience.
    - If you feel as though your voice isn't heard when you have a problem, speak louder.

"Centro is an incredible place to work!"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Centro full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people. They are second to none. I have been able to grow so much professionally and personally from the amazing individuals who work across all our offices.

We have amazing benefits, compensation AND lots of snacks ;)

Cons

There is truly nothing that I have to complain about, sure I could complain about how many emails are sitting in my inbox but in terms of the company... I am extremely happy to be here!

Advice to Management

Continue being open and sharing with the organization. I have never really felt "blocked out" by our management and executive teams since they have been very open about the company, issues and changes coming down the pipe.

"Great place to learn"

I have been working at Centro full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A LOT of knowledgeable people in the Toronto office. I have learned so much about the industry and advertising in general, these people are incredible. Going through school is great, but having real hands on, industry experience, is beyond important.

Cons

There can be some slow progression in some roles, but if you are willing to learn and work hard, you will be rewarded in the long run.

"All considering, this is a great company."

I have been working at Centro full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's clear that the company, as a whole, makes an effort to invest in their employees. My experience won't be the same as everyone else's, as I lucked out with an incredible manager.

Cons

Nothing noteworthy here - a lot of the hires can be quite young, so there's a certain amount of immaturity/communication challenges that come along with the territory. This isn't something you can necessarily escape from from a lot of companies so you might as well get used to it!

Advice to Management

No advice - just, thank you.