Centro Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.0
Centro CEO Shawn Riegsecker
Shawn Riegsecker
Pros
Cons
  • "The bonus structure changed almost yearly, never to the benefit of anyone who wasn't upper management(in 8 reviews)

• "Company is growing rapidly and as a result it seems some policies are enforced differently by department, creating a inconsistency(in 8 reviews)

"Great company/culture"

Former Employee - Software Development Test Engineer in Toronto, ON

I worked at Centro full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone at the location I worked in (Toronto), was amazing. Great team, great atmosphere. My manager was also really invested in helping me improve and learn new things.

Cons

Nothing particularly jumps to min

Centro2019-02-19

February 27, 2019Centro

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback! We appreciate your kind words and are so happy to hear you enjoyed your experience in our Toronto office. If you have any further feedback to share please email us at tellusmore@centro.net. -EVP, Talent & Development

"Not much career growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Centro full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People Snacks 4 percent RRSP matching General benefits Challenging work

Cons

Not too much room to grow. No clear expectation on how to move up.

Advice to Management

Institute guidelines to your managers on how to create a fair employee review process and to harshly punish managers who create unfair biases towards their employee/friends

Centro2019-07-23

August 16, 2019Centro

We appreciate you getting in touch and providing your feedback! It’s great to see your list of pros and we’re so happy you’ve chosen to call Centro your professional home for the past 3+ years. We want all employees to have a clear sense of their potential career growth, and feel ...

"Bad"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Toronto, ON

I worked at Centro full-time for more than a year

Pros

No significant pros for this comoany

Cons

Everything else sucks big time

Advice to Management

Care about employee development

Centro2019-05-27

June 5, 2019Centro

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We’d love to learn more about your experience and how we can improve. Please email us at tellusmore@centro.net. - EVP, Talent and Development

"No Egos - Great work environment"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Centro full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People you work with: + People are willing to listen and take in your opinion (regardless of what level you/they are in) + People do not have huge egos (or at least they manageable) + People do good work (most of the time) Office: + New Toronto office is pretty cool, right at Union Station, part of WeWorks - so unlimited beers, and frequent events. Extra Stuff: + Above average pay (for Canada) + Standard... benefits ( RRSP matching upto 4% of Salary, health, dental...) + Good work/life balance + Flexible work hours + Unlimited vacation

Cons

- Flexible work hours (sometime it gets hard to reach a decision when people are in the office at different times) In the previous years when the company was struggling some of the company goals were unrealistic, which caused us to not hit the bonus.

Advice to Management

Toronto is becoming a more attractive place for Tech companies, make sure the salaries keep being updated to reflect this.

Centro2019-01-23

"Frustrating Environment"

I have been working at Centro full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

1. Unlimited Vacation ... But it's to the discretion of your manager. Some people will get approved over and over again, and others will not. 2. Lots of great work to be done ... But not enough people who are actually capable of getting it done, which causes an imbalance of workload.

Cons

Management (including the exec team) plays favorites. This is not a new issue, and I've seen it on multiple teams since I started at Centro. Somehow, it is never addressed and it continues to happen. If you are friends with the boss, you will get ahead - whether it's getting that raise you wanted, getting all your days off approved, or getting away with doing little to no work (and somehow still getting rewarded).... There are so many people who are overworked, overwhelmed and under recognized. Management has a poor understanding of what is required of their team, what their team actually works on, and what is needed, both in terms of staffing and resources to get things done without people crying at their desks. I've seen so many people get frustrated and leave the company, or remain and just become miserable. It has become such a toxic environment in so many ways, and if you try to speak up, you are silenced or disregarded, which pushes a lot of people to leave. When people feel like you don't appreciate them, they will look for appreciation elsewhere. So much talent has been lost because of this and of course, the people who stay are friends with the boss. There are large company callouts to say "we are so grateful for the work you do," which is wonderful, but it ends there. It does not change the manager relationships and certainly does not reduce any of the stress people feel. There is little to no attempt to value the people who work hard to help the team succeed.

Advice to Management

Put on your professional hat. Stop focusing on your personal ideas and feelings about your team (including who you like more than everyone else) and focus on what is important: knowledge, dedication, insightful thinking, creative problem solving and hard work. You are ignoring the people who are actually trying to get great work done to hold the team up, and rewarding those who feed off the hard work of others. It... is beyond frustrating and playing favorites makes the situation so much worse for those people who don't know how to be your best friend. It's fine to have fun, be casual and make friends, but there's a line of professionalism to be found, and you really need to find it. There are a select number of managers and teams that I think might actually have a handle on how to run a team properly, without playing favorites and making people feel so belittled and bitter. Maybe you can all learn from them, because I don't know what else to suggest to you. Unless of course the intent is to get rid of anyone who is not your best friend and you are completely happy with the deconstruction of the various teams. If that is the case, you are doing a great job! Keep up the good work!

Centro2018-10-22

"Customer Success Specialist"

I worked at Centro full-time

Pros

great management and colleagues, unlimited vacation, room for groth

Cons

Pay is not the highest

Centro2018-09-16

"Fantastic Place to Work"

I have been working at Centro full-time

Pros

Amazing company culture Great working environment You feel on the forefront of Ad Tech

Cons

There is sometimes a large disconnect between departments

Centro2018-09-01

"Great company"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Centro full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I`ve worked in many IT companies, Centro is one of the best. Good work/life balance. Unlimited vacation + home office when needed. Newest technologies. People, people, people!

Cons

Not the best location and office building in Toronto (amazing in Chicago). Hopefully will be changed soon.

Centro2018-06-12

"Sad state of affairs. Job seekers: look elsewhere!"

I worked at Centro full-time

Pros

The employees themselves are great, talented people.

Cons

Centro USED to be a great place to work, even winning awards in this particular category. However, the proof is in the pudding and over the past year or two, the culture has declined substantially to a point where it's completely unrecognizable. The last award we took home for best place to work was in 2016. First of all, it feels like some of the female leaders at this company are setting women back 100 years.... All of the progress we see in the media with women coming together is the opposite of what's happening at Centro if you report into certain women. Regardless of how hard you work, how passionate you are about helping the company do well, and how loyal you've been as an employee, there is an immature level of cattiness that supersedes and nothing else matters. Far too many talented people have either left Centro this year or been pushed out because of the declining culture and lack of respect towards employees, and the leadership team, CEO included, refuses to take any accountability, even when the churn rate is shockingly high. Their response when someone incredibly talented leaves? Don't let the door hit you on the way out! But on the bright side, other great companies recognize this talent and are swooping people up quickly so it's a win-win. If you're considering Centro for your next place of employment, turn around and look elsewhere. There are other companies out there that will appreciate your talent more than Centro. And just like the person in the May 2nd post mentioned, unfortunately employees have to resort to Glassdoor to voice our concerns because no one in HR or the exec team are accepting of feedback without it being used against you.

Advice to Management

Your leadership team needs a shuffle. Your friendships have become a major conflict of interest and there are certain people in power positions without the appropriate subject matter knowledge and leadership experience just because they've been at Centro since the early days. You're getting away from what matters, which is building a great product and culture, and focusing too much on ego and politics.

Centro2018-06-01

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Centro full-time for more than a year

Pros

Led by a founder CEO who is really passionate about the products, and one of the few executives I've seen that leads the company in a very wholesome way with a focus on happiness, giving, collaboration, and truly caring for our customers and making their life better. Very smart and talented teams that collaborate well, and know how to produce kick-ass products while having fun. Great work-life balance.

Cons

There's really not much to complain about - I've been really happy working here.

Advice to Management

You've built a great culture, so make sure to maintain this, as it helps attract the right folks that make this such a great place to be.

Centro2018-04-18