Central Garden & Pet Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Central Garden & Pet President and CEO George Roeth
George Roeth

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Not a positive work environment with no business plan, no core values, and no growth plan" (in 4 reviews)

• "And management has a tendency to patronize us lower-level employees" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Warehouse Manager in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Warehouse Manager in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Central Garden & Pet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good People and lots of room for opportunity.

Cons

Pay is lower than typical. Cost of living increases are set at corporate level. It is figured that the cost of living is the same in other areas around the country, as it is in Seattle. Except that Seattle costs about 3 times what others cost.
    401k is somewhat of a joke, and as a salaried worker, expect to work far longer hours than the 40 you'll be getting paid for.

Advice to Management

Work on retaining good employees and not as much on acquiring companies. Build your benefits package to entice employees to stick around.
    Some of the smaller branches need more employees to help share the workload. The people have to juggle too many positions at once.

2. "Sales"

I have been working at Central Garden & Pet full-time

Pros

The worker bees in the company are really good people.

Cons

There is no forward momentum in this company at all! Management does not care about its employees or treat them fairly.

Advice to Management

Look at your employees who have been there for years. Create more opportunities for growth.

"Poor Leadership, Male Dominated, Watch Your Back"

Former Employee - Marketing
    Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at Central Garden & Pet full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are some great consumer pet brands here and the company is financially healthy, they've acquired other companies relatively recently (although they may not always have a good strategy as to why).

Cons

I did not work at the corporate office in CA, but in the pet category in a different location. The leadership was very poor within the department I was in. Basically, the saying there's no "I" in team, well, it's the opposite here. It's all about the "I" and if you happen to be born male, you have an edge that the other gender doesn't. Females are rarely promoted or have high positions. Look at the leadership team as one example. My direct boss did not know how to manage people, but thought he was perfect and always right.

What can also be difficult was how few people wear too many hats. Additional support to the businesses and brands would be warranted given the size and presence of the brands. Money is being spent and wasted on other things instead of the future and growth.

It's good some of the old guys are retiring or left in some other way, they need younger people who get modern marketing. However, the middle aged people who have been under these old boys mentality for way too long, are powerless to avoid being influenced by the old boys behaviors, so many of them are tainted. Even some of the few females have become as harsh, sadly, and will come after other females if it means protecting themselves or getting a step ahead and more control.

There is really not growth available within the company.

Several extremely costly mistakes were made when someone decides to redirect course and make changes to entire departments, including new plans, new investments, reducing the workforce unnecessarily. Much money has been thrown away on failed initiatives, programs, and "oops, that didn't work" . And they continue to pay people after they retire as "consultants" but avoid hiring new talent like the plague. Need more worker bees than queen bees.

They also like to put massive controls under one person. There's no checks and balances that way and one person gets to make decisions that affect the business for years to come.

You do have to watch your back. I think they prefer submissive, under the radar, "yes" people more than people with guts and strength to comment about the status quo. If you're strong and smart, someone might be gunning for you and they won't have your back as you may be seen as a threat. There's very little support and no recognition for doing a good job.

And, of course, favoritism but I'm beginning to think that is literally everywhere.

Advice to Management

Time to stop spending loads of money on the old boys and start investing in new talent.

Take a look at your management, who they manage, how much they get paid, and either get them some management skills training or time to start reassessing those at the top in the departments that need it. People often get complacent when they've been in one place too long. Some of them might be happier if they moved on and got a fresh perspective, anyway.

Bad idea to give too much power to one person, with long-term affects.

The culture is really bad, it would serve the business well to get a team versus "I" mentality.

Bonus and pay people equally. There is a covert sexism - either you can keep denying or come to grips with it and make it better.
    Sometimes it is the direct manager that is holding people behind (that also don't practice what they preach to people beneath them - you just got to do what they "say"). Some managers find power in being negative and holding people back which is the opposite of how a good leader should behave. Relook at managers from the top down. Many of them aren't very worth of their positions and kill morale. People need to be treated well and supported at work - we spend much of our time there (as they say "crap" rolls downhill)!

Consider full transparency in pay. That is probably too innovative, but would be cool if they would think about it.

1 Aug, 2018 – Director of Talent Acquisition

I'm sorry to hear your experience was not positive. As you know, Central Garden & Pet takes pride in its open-door policy and are always glad to hear employee feedback. It’s unfortunate we were... More

4. "Great company with good opportunities to grow"

Pros

Exposure to senior management, opportunities to grow

Cons

Not very attractive for young professionals

Advice to Management

Young professionals are eager and anxious, value them accordingly if you wish to retain and promote internally, which you do so well at now.

"Merchandiser"

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Commack, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Commack, NY (US)

I worked at Central Garden & Pet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work whatever hours you want.

Cons

Very little pay for the intensity physical labor you have to do. You have to use your own car to drive from location to location. You will also have to deal with mouse droppings, rat droppings and bird dropping on a daily basis. High insurance premiums and high deductible. Raises are based on sales, if you do everything right all year round and your stores don’t have better numbers than last year you won’t get a raise. But if they do don’t worry you’ll get a 2% raise. They will fire you without warning and also with out any clear reasons.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like human beings and not just numbers that you can cut when you need to make a budget.

6. "Great company"

I have been working at Central Garden & Pet full-time

Pros

Everyone's opinion matters
    Collaboration between teams
    Fun culture and work environment

Cons

Extra hours necessary to get job done

"Unbelievably bad!"

Former Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist in Boise, ID (US)
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist in Boise, ID (US)

I worked at Central Garden & Pet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked for about 8 days. PRO would be to let you know not to work there. That's it!

Cons

Passed all training test with great scores. Didn't play the game well. I have honesty and integrity. They don't know the meaning. The 1st day I witnessed the trainer sending multiple messages to managers to get employees in trouble then going to those people and being phony to their faces. I was taken aside by my trainer after verbalizing about something I wasn't taught and aggressively told to never say that again. Was not allowed to take training manually home, finally did and realized only covered 1/2 the book after training. Told by management it takes 6 months to a year to learn the process and they encouraged training to the employees style. Next morning they let me go. Beware! I wondered why the company ALWAYS had jobs available. There it is.

Advice to Management

Honesty. 7 days is not close to 6 months to a year. Teamwork makes for a good company.

27 Apr, 2018 – Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the feedback. We have a robust AP training program with a high success rate that we continually monitor. As part of the training, we make every effort to have the employee become... More

"Professional work environment inviting growth"

I worked at Central Garden & Pet full-time

Pros

Great employee morale and fun co-workers

Cons

Sometimes waiting for additional projects to get up and running

27 Apr, 2018 – Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the feedback.

"Excellent Benefits"

I worked at Central Garden & Pet full-time

Pros

From my experience, very good work/life balance.

Cons

I did not experience any cons.

21 Feb, 2018 – Director of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for the great review!

"Stacker in pottery"

Current Employee - Stacker In Pottery in Madison, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Stacker In Pottery in Madison, GA (US)

I have been working at Central Garden & Pet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Over time is great and I love the work I do and my boss Mr Jimmy is very understanding with alot of things going on

Cons

The people that work there are very disrespectful and don't want to help others when needed and do not know how to talk to others and are very negative about the work place

Advice to Management

Give discipline and proper consequences when needed even if it means termination and do not pick and choose or choose a friend over another employee

27 Apr, 2018 – Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback. We would like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send your contact information to recruiting@central.com.