Central Garden & Pet Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Central Garden & Pet President and CEO George Roeth
George Roeth

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Not a positive work environment with no business plan, no core values, and no growth plan" (in 4 reviews)

• "And management has a tendency to patronize us lower-level employees" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Merchandiser"

I have been working at Central Garden & Pet full-time

Pros

Very easy work
    Decent pay
    Not tied down to an office

Cons

Have to do a decent amount of traveling

5 Nov, 2018 – Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for writing a review about your employment experience. A merchandiser role is a perfect fit for those that want variety and don't mind driving to various stores.

2. "Sharp, Thorough, Efficient"

Current Employee - Digital Marketing Manager in Walnut Creek, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Digital Marketing Manager in Walnut Creek, CA (US)

I have been working at Central Garden & Pet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Interview process was expedient, with an interview agenda routed in advance and great communication throughout.
     - Received a lovely welcome package at home after accepting offer.
     - On-boarding was efficient, with clear communication and easy-to-follow process of reviewing and completing assigned tasks.
     - Team was welcoming and supportive, with thoughtfully guided on-boarding meetings and access to all the necessary resources to get acclimated.
     - Management is smart, pragmatic and accessible. Projects are approached thoughtfully and timelines are measured and realistic, with contributors expected to be accountable for their work and

Cons

- Commute from Oakley/Brentwood area has gotten a lot worse lately, making the drive unfortunately longer than anticipated.
     - Corporate Environment - Business Professional with casual Friday; would benefit from a more casual atmosphere.
     - Would love to see the company embrace a more flexible work from home policy with teams so distributed across the Country.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in digital and ecommerce resources and technology, and keep empowering the smart individual managers you have hired to successfully drive the business into the future of Garden & Pet commerce.

5 Nov, 2018 – Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking a time to provide feedback on your interviewing, onboarding and employment experience! Your input has been shared with HR and leadership.

3. "Good job overall"

Current Employee - Merchandiser
    Current Employee - Merchandiser

I have been working at Central Garden & Pet (More than a year)

Pros

Great Management, very flexible, great for college students.

Cons

Can be boring at times

19 Oct, 2018 – Director of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. I'm glad to hear you enjoy your job - I've never heard anyone describe a job at Central as boring though!

4. "Warehouse Manager"

I worked at Central Garden & Pet full-time

Pros

Good insurance and dental and vision plan available

Cons

Low employer match to the 401K plan

Advice to Management

Include employees in the stock option plan instead of just the high priced managers

19 Oct, 2018 – Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking a time to write a review. We have recently updated our 401k plan to include a higher match and are constantly looking for other ways to reward our employees. Your input in... More

5. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Warehouse Manager in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Warehouse Manager in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Central Garden & Pet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good People and lots of room for opportunity.

Cons

Pay is lower than typical. Cost of living increases are set at corporate level. It is figured that the cost of living is the same in other areas around the country, as it is in Seattle. Except that Seattle costs about 3 times what others cost.
    401k is somewhat of a joke, and as a salaried worker, expect to work far longer hours than the 40 you'll be getting paid for.

Advice to Management

Work on retaining good employees and not as much on acquiring companies. Build your benefits package to entice employees to stick around.
    Some of the smaller branches need more employees to help share the workload. The people have to juggle too many positions at once.

19 Oct, 2018 – Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We have some exciting updates to our 401k plan to you should hear about soon!

"Sales"

I have been working at Central Garden & Pet full-time

Pros

The worker bees in the company are really good people.

Cons

There is no forward momentum in this company at all! Management does not care about its employees or treat them fairly.

Advice to Management

Look at your employees who have been there for years. Create more opportunities for growth.

19 Oct, 2018 – Director of Talent Acquisition

I'm sorry to hear you are unhappy in your role. If you would like to be put in touch with Human Resources, please send an email to recruiting@central.com.

"Listening Ears"

I worked at Central Garden & Pet full-time

Pros

Some really talented folks that want to make a difference.

Cons

HR is unresponsive to the needs of employees at all levels of the BU I worked at. Lack of support providing resources, replacing open positions, understanding employee health issues and responding to requests in a timely manner. Talented Management and key employees are held back by tope management from using their talent and expertise to make recommendations and/or decisions. When errors or mistakes occur, knee jerk reactions are used to resolve the issues rather than trying to prevent re-occurrence long term. Lack of communication between departments causing redundancies, poor time management, inconsistent results, additional labor costs.

Advice to Management

Empower and engage employees at all business units to become part of the solution. Employees will respond by taking pride in their work, environment as well as gain respect for top management. Allow communication between business units so talent is shared rather than surpassed. Develop an HR Department that listens, responds and supports. These recommendations should create a more positive, productive workplace environment and reduce turnover which will improve overall business continuity and lower costs.

19 Oct, 2018 – Director of Talent Acquisition

I'm sorry to hear your experience at Central was not positive. Your feedback is concerning. If you would like to confidentially connect with our SVP of HR, please send an email to... More

"Poor Leadership, Male Dominated, Watch Your Back"

Former Employee - Marketing
    Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at Central Garden & Pet full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are some great consumer pet brands here and the company is financially healthy, they've acquired other companies relatively recently (although they may not always have a good strategy as to why).

Cons

I did not work at the corporate office in CA, but in the pet category in a different location. The leadership was very poor within the department I was in. Basically, the saying there's no "I" in team, well, it's the opposite here. It's all about the "I" and if you happen to be born male, you have an edge that the other gender doesn't. Females are rarely promoted or have high positions. Look at the leadership team as one example. My direct boss did not know how to manage people, but thought he was perfect and always right.

What can also be difficult was how few people wear too many hats. Additional support to the businesses and brands would be warranted given the size and presence of the brands. Money is being spent and wasted on other things instead of the future and growth.

It's good some of the old guys are retiring or left in some other way, they need younger people who get modern marketing. However, the middle aged people who have been under these old boys mentality for way too long, are powerless to avoid being influenced by the old boys behaviors, so many of them are tainted. Even some of the few females have become as harsh, sadly, and will come after other females if it means protecting themselves or getting a step ahead and more control.

There is really not growth available within the company.

Several extremely costly mistakes were made when someone decides to redirect course and make changes to entire departments, including new plans, new investments, reducing the workforce unnecessarily. Much money has been thrown away on failed initiatives, programs, and "oops, that didn't work" . And they continue to pay people after they retire as "consultants" but avoid hiring new talent like the plague. Need more worker bees than queen bees.

They also like to put massive controls under one person. There's no checks and balances that way and one person gets to make decisions that affect the business for years to come.

You do have to watch your back. I think they prefer submissive, under the radar, "yes" people more than people with guts and strength to comment about the status quo. If you're strong and smart, someone might be gunning for you and they won't have your back as you may be seen as a threat. There's very little support and no recognition for doing a good job.

And, of course, favoritism but I'm beginning to think that is literally everywhere.

Advice to Management

Time to stop spending loads of money on the old boys and start investing in new talent.

Take a look at your management, who they manage, how much they get paid, and either get them some management skills training or time to start reassessing those at the top in the departments that need it. People often get complacent when they've been in one place too long. Some of them might be happier if they moved on and got a fresh perspective, anyway.

Bad idea to give too much power to one person, with long-term affects.

The culture is really bad, it would serve the business well to get a team versus "I" mentality.

Bonus and pay people equally. There is a covert sexism - either you can keep denying or come to grips with it and make it better.
    Sometimes it is the direct manager that is holding people behind (that also don't practice what they preach to people beneath them - you just got to do what they "say"). Some managers find power in being negative and holding people back which is the opposite of how a good leader should behave. Relook at managers from the top down. Many of them aren't very worth of their positions and kill morale. People need to be treated well and supported at work - we spend much of our time there (as they say "crap" rolls downhill)!

Consider full transparency in pay. That is probably too innovative, but would be cool if they would think about it.

1 Aug, 2018 – Director of Talent Acquisition

I'm sorry to hear your experience was not positive. As you know, Central Garden & Pet takes pride in its open-door policy and are always glad to hear employee feedback. It’s unfortunate we were... More

9. "Great company with good opportunities to grow"

Pros

Exposure to senior management, opportunities to grow

Cons

Not very attractive for young professionals

Advice to Management

Young professionals are eager and anxious, value them accordingly if you wish to retain and promote internally, which you do so well at now.

19 Oct, 2018 – Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for writing a review. We are constantly looking for ways to retain talent from all generations - if you have suggestions you'd like to share, please email recruiting@central.com.

"Merchandiser"

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Commack, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Commack, NY (US)

I worked at Central Garden & Pet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work whatever hours you want.

Cons

Very little pay for the intensity physical labor you have to do. You have to use your own car to drive from location to location. You will also have to deal with mouse droppings, rat droppings and bird dropping on a daily basis. High insurance premiums and high deductible. Raises are based on sales, if you do everything right all year round and your stores don’t have better numbers than last year you won’t get a raise. But if they do don’t worry you’ll get a 2% raise. They will fire you without warning and also with out any clear reasons.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like human beings and not just numbers that you can cut when you need to make a budget.

19 Oct, 2018 – Director of Talent Acquisition

I am sorry to hear your experience was not positive. Please contact us at recruiting@central.com if you would like to discuss your complaints.