Central Garden & Pet Reviews

Updated Feb 24, 2021

3.2
Central Garden & Pet CEO Tim Cofer
Tim Cofer
Pros
  • "You meet a lot of great people and develop great relationships(in 14 reviews)

• "The company is great for work life balance and generally a positive place to work(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "upper management not always engaged(in 9 reviews)

• "The work environment is hostile and by that I mean cursing, throwing/grabbing items aggressively and loudly exclaiming about anything wrong being done(in 7 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. Featured Review

"Great job"

Current Employee - Driver in Seminole, OK

I have been working at Central Garden & Pet full-time

Pros

Good benefits and great for a single person.

Cons

Away from family for 2-4 days a time

February 3, 2021Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are happy to hear you enjoy your job and are satisfied with your benefits. We appreciate the commitment that our drivers make and understand it takes time away from family. Thank you for all you do!

2. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Operations Intern in Ontario, CA

I worked at Central Garden & Pet full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great management, great work culture

Cons

No bad experiences as an intern

3. "Great!"

Former Employee - Mission's Director in Green Bay, WI

I worked at Central Garden & Pet part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Loved working here, it was a great experience.

Cons

None really, only cons were natural work things in general.

4. "thumbs...mid?"

Former Employee - Freight Team Associate

I worked at Central Garden & Pet part-time for less than a year

Pros

Gramps hours...in and out by noon Not a lot of customer interaction Gets you up and moving around on delivery days when there's a good amount of work to do

Cons

not very mentally stimulating work so if you're into that sorta thing, maybe bring headphones and your favorite podcasts to help pull you through? Depending on how well the store is doing sales wise, there may or may not be a whole lot of actual work to go around which could mean a lot of down time or "busy work".

Continue reading
  5. "NJ Business Unit Needs an Intervention"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Neptune, NJ

I worked at Central Garden & Pet full-time for less than a year

Pros

Close to the beach and bagel Friday’s.

Cons

Can’t speak for the entirety of the company, only the NJ business unit pod, which manages the largest Dog and Cat brands, namely Nylabone, Four Paws and IMS Cadet. The Leadership perpetuates a culture where employees are not to be trusted. This in turn creates an environment with no morale where you will be stripped of basic privileges. You are watched from the time you clock in, how long of a lunch you take, where you park and how productive you are (they have tracking software installed in your machine and regular audits. They will question you on everything you click). Work from home is not permitted in any capacity with no exceptions, even bad weather. We were forced to come in many times during state of emergency (for snow and hurricane-level winds) in addition to being coerced into working at the office throughout COVID despite cases spreading in the office. Most employees lack necessary experience at all levels. There is no praise or appreciation for your work and teams are highly competitive against one another for no reason. You are not given the autonomy to manage anything in your role, and there is a lot of micromanagement and inability to try new things. The brands and products are mostly market leading so it was extremely disappointing to have the company end up being so toxic. Left before the one year mark because of how unhealthy it was to work there. They took a fantastic, fun industry and somehow made it miserable. I urge you to stay away, especially from any Marketing and eCommerce roles.

Continue reading
  6. "Good company, Great IT Organization"

4.0
    Former Employee - Senior IT Professional in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Central Garden & Pet full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great group of people to work with within IT Interesting work and excellent learning/growth opportunities Competitive pay

Cons

Too much complexity across the organization (new CEO is actively working to simplify things) Talent management is a bit relaxed, meaning that occasionally a subpar performer is allowed to hang on for far too long

7. COVID-19

"Not a TERRIBLE Company"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst

I worked at Central Garden & Pet full-time for more than a year

Pros

This company is pretty stable even during a pandemic. Since they’re a supplier, you can learn operations amongst several different channels.

Cons

Not the most “modern” or up to date company. Colleagues don’t have much morale or passion for the company/work as you’d see in some 21st century companies. It shows in the way they speak on calls & to others. There’s no unified culture or company code. Also, people tend to spend YEARS in the same role so don’t expect to grow much.

February 8, 2021Director of Talent Acquisition

I'm sorry to hear your experience was not positive - I hope you shared your ideas with Human Resources. We are in the early stages of our D&I journey and would welcome input from employees on how to improve. Best of luck in your next position.

8. COVID-19

"Overall unorganized and hostile environment"

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Central Garden & Pet full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Not many considering the culture is very toxic, management has no control and will curse you out. I almost witnessed a FIGHT!

Cons

Territory managers are always talking bad about the company and always put blame on each other, they are very unorganized and unprofessional. Most of them don’t even know how to do basic task, instead they depend on their merchandiser. They should lead out of example, get dirty and do the work so they can learn and teach. District managers are the same size if not worst, they always down talk the company and they encourage employees not to ask questions just do as they are told. This gives the impression that merchandiser should never have ideas or suggestions that will help sales, no growth! No leadership or guidance when it come to COVID-19 protocols and ways of staying safe, PPE is very rare. Last but not leased HR will ways be in favor of territory and district managers, the lower levels employees are treated like trash/replaceable.

February 8, 2021Director of Talent Acquisition

Your comments are concerning and not representative of the culture of Central or the expectations of our managers. If you would like to discuss your concerns, please contact us at recruiting@central.com to be put in touch with Human Resources.

9. "Extremely toxic environment including HR."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

I have been working at Central Garden & Pet full-time

Pros

Not too much to say.

Cons

Extremely toxic environment including HR.

February 3, 2021Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your perspective. We are concerned by your commentary, and the review does not align with how we support our employees at Central Garden & Pet. We would like to understand your specific circumstances and concerns. The HR role at Central is to support employees and leaders and provide a fair and balanced approach to issues. If you would like to discuss your concerns confidentially, please reach out to recruiting@central.com

"Ok place to work"

4.0
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Houston, TX

I have been working at Central Garden & Pet full-time

Pros

Very flexible, great management and leadership

Cons

Lots of travel, subject to weather conditions

December 8, 2020Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to write a review - our merchandisers are the best representatives of our products and we appreciate all of them!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 222 English Reviews