Central Garden & Pet Brand Manager Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Tim Cofer
  1. "Great culture"

Former Employee - Associate Brand Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Central Garden & Pet full-time for more than a year

Pros

Diverse culture with challenging workloads and opportunity to work in different areas of business.

Cons

Limited growth opportunities due to the relatively smaller size of the organization.

Central Garden & Pet2019-09-11

"Small company feel - big company benefits - family oriented culture"

Current Employee - Brand Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Central Garden & Pet full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very supportive internally. Not competitive. Everyone wants you to succeed. Family is first. Small company - so you're expected to go outside the norms of your job... which I love as every day is different

Cons

Small company feel, but public company. Therefore, dynamic to corporate is sometimes stressed as they do not know (or do) the best thing for the business

Advice to Management

See cons - Invest in the business.

Central Garden & Pet2019-07-26

"401K restrictions"

Current Employee - Brand Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Central Garden & Pet full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They have one. Ask about company-wide participation.

Cons

All years I've worked here, I've been restricted to the amount of pretax income I can contribute to my plan. I can only contribute drastically less than the the full $17k.

Central Garden & Pet2015-11-18

"Ship with no rudder"

Former Employee - Brand Manager

I worked at Central Garden & Pet full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Some staff are very kind

Cons

No growth, ever. Senior Management is continually fired or quits as a result of micromanagement of founder/chairman. Some very senior roles are occupied by drones looking over their shoulder. The rest are petty tyrants. Central never gives full bonuses to their management. Merit increases are 2 percent or lower. It's very difficult to motivate staff when they are given an A plus review and a D- salary increase.

Advice to Management

How about picking a strategy and sticking with it? How about joining the 21st century and have decent web sites for your products (or if that's too hard, the late 20th century)? How about running the company less like a medieval fiefdom and more like a contemporary publicly traded company? How about taking all the paperwork off the chairman's desk and giving it to the people that are skilled in making decisions... in their area of expertise? If adopted, any one of these suggestions could prevent the inevitable excuse during the annual shareholders meeting of, "We had a challenging year because of grain prices and weather conditions" delivered by the soup (CEO) du jour.

Central Garden & Pet2014-06-16

"Run as fast as you can AWAY from this company. DM's will fire you for being successful!!!"

Current Employee - Brand Manager in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at Central Garden & Pet full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

As long as you are of the "FAITH" you will fit in.

Cons

SPYING, LYING and downright dirty ways of running a company. If you do everything right your rewarded with being terminated without any warnings or negative write-ups EVER!!!

Advice to Management

You should realize that if it WORKS then you don't need to fix IT.

Central Garden & Pet2013-12-30

"Monarchial corporate structure"

Former Employee - Associate Brand Manager

I worked at Central Garden & Pet full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people who work here. Benefits are mediocre/less than mediocre but they are available. Great place to step your career into the right direction but only a stepping stone, no more than a year or two.

Cons

Not a positive work environment with no business plan, no core values, and no growth plan. The people who work here are really good people, but the management has 'ruled' in a way where no employee wants to make a decision. If one does make a decision and is wrong, they are basically shunned in front of the company. This didn't happen to me.

Advice to Management

Empower your employees to make decisions to grow the company.

Central Garden & Pet2013-10-06

"Central Garden & Pet is not a place any forward-thinking, innovative, or creative person would enjoy working."

Current Employee - Associate Brand Manager

I have been working at Central Garden & Pet full-time for more than a year

Pros

Central Garden & Pet did offer me the title I required to move up in the CPG world but that was about the extent to the pros of this company.

Cons

The lack of a consistent corporate strategy and vision of growth, innovation, and decision making skills make Central a disorganized, chaotic, and frustrating place to work. If you are an outgoing person who strives to grow in your position, grow your category, and enjoy the feeling of success, then Central is NOT the work environment for you.

Advice to Management

Develop a consistent corporate strategy and common vision of growth for both the Pet and Garden sides of the business that all business units and employees can be excited about. The dissatisfaction of senior management has negatively impacted morale, and has resulted in good people leaving or trying to leave the company.

Central Garden & Pet2013-05-10

"Central Garden and Pet's pet division needs to figure out their strategy"

Former Employee - Brand Manager in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at Central Garden & Pet full-time for less than a year

Pros

Multiple locations so depending on the function, you could find a Central location that is close to you

Cons

No exposure to the higher level strategy and company direction, lack of business ownership, strong level of micro management, unclear processes, lack of 360 feedback and clear actionable steps to help improve and develop

Advice to Management

More transperency with regards to growth strategy and the company direction

Central Garden & Pet2012-08-28