Cengage Reviews

Michael Hansen
  1. "Great people"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some of the best people I've ever worked with

Cons

unstable industry right at this time

2. "Dynamic, meaningful company in a rapidly changing industry."

Former Employee - Technical Product Manager

I worked at Cengage full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The world of print textbooks is rapidly moving to digital. Lots of opportunity for engineering with the core strategic platforms.

Cons

Things are moving so fast, that there can be a disconnect between executives and everyone else. The emerging opportunities are difficult to articulate and that can translate, for some, that there aren't opportunities. But there are and will be.

March 11, 2020CEO

Thanks for taking the time to leave a thoughtful review (and for 10+ years of service!). I agree, the industry is rapidly changing and presenting new opportunities for us to use our strong assets to help millions of learners, globally. With this growth mindset, we will support more learners, and simultaneously, create more opportunities for employees to build and expand transferrable skills and capabilities. Thanks for the feedback – feel free to connect with me to discuss this feedback or anything else on your mind.

"Sinking Company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good people. Good culture. Beer.

Cons

Company is struggling. Layoffs coming for sure. No raises or bonuses.

4. "A Good Place To Work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Clifton Park, NY

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Laid-back and low stress work environment Opportunities to work on modern technology stacks Growing investments in tech areas

Cons

Uncertainty about the upcoming merger

"I Love My Job!"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent territory with great benefits. When you have the support of a Regional Manager it makes your job more enjoyable.

Cons

At this time, I have not had any negative experiences.

Continue reading

"A great place to work and grow!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Cengage has provided many opportunities to learn as both an employee and personally. I believe Cengage gives people opportunities if they are clear they want them both through demonstration of behavior and attitude as well as strong work ethic. I believe Cengage does a job of recognizing the work that people put forth. The challenging part is often goals may not align. For instance you want an opportunity in 3-6 months to advance but that opportunity may not be available until 9-12. Cengage is a company that values your personal life as well. For my direct manager experience they have always cared that you had balance. At times there is more balance than others but that will be true with any Company. The people I work with are great. And that is across departments and locations.

Cons

The company is working hard on transparency with their employees and I feel it has improved. I still think there is a bit more to go there.

February 19, 2020CEO

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. It is refreshing to read your comments as you mention learning, personal drive, recognition and advancement --- all are top of mind for me and the leadership team as we look for ways to deepen the learning we offer through our development programs, as well as taking the time to recognize excellent work. I understand that timing of advancement opportunities may not always align, and believe that the best way to go about advancing is to continue to look for opportunities to grow, including laterally, and by exploring new skills to broaden your capabilities. Your investment in your own development will always be well worth your time and effort. Thanks again for sharing your feedback and please feel free to connect with me directly at any time to share more about your experience at Cengage.

7. "Some nice perks but office is a bit spread out and quiet"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Andover, England

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free physio, early finish on Friday, casual office, on site canteen, free yoga.

Cons

Office is over three floor and relatively spread out, can bit a little quiet at times.

March 11, 2020CEO

Thank you for your feedback! It’s great to hear you’re taking advantage of the programs in our Andover office. We are always on the lookout for ways to further improve our workspace – don’t hesitate to share any suggestions with your manager or HR Business Partner. Or, feel free to reach out to me directly to discuss your ideas to make our workspaces even more collaborative and communicative, or anything else on your mind.

8. "I Love My Job!!!"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I get to help Teachers grow the love of the world and education by providing them engaging and thought provoking materials produced by National Geographic Learning.

Cons

I don't get to see my colleagues enough. We all work from home in our territories.

9. "Going in the right direction"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive, Level II in Carmel, IN

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Management has a vision where the industry must go to survive, and is willing to risk a dangerous road to get there. They also consider not just shareholder value, but the needs of all stakeholders, including students.

Cons

I am not sure we need to merge with McGraw-Hill. Our strategy was likely to outlast other competitors, and the merger might just slow that progress.

10. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Otolaryngologist in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Smart people, interesting work, flexible hours

Cons

Some uncertainties with the impending merger

Found 1350 reviews