Cengage Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Michael Hansen

"Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Tbd in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage full-time for less than a year

Pros

You work with a number of very smart and driven people that are passionate about what the company is doing--benefiting the lives of millions of learners. Flexible working hours and a good work-life balance Great culture where creativity is encouraged Cengage really is a place where your voice is heard and you can make an impact

Cons

There are still some improvements to be made with the company's benefits and also adjusting internal equity issues, especially in the tech space. The company needs to be more competitive with compensation in order to hire and retain top tech talent they need to get to the next level.

Advice to Management

Be more competitive when it comes to compensation. You have to find a way to pay market rate for the talent you need, or you will not be able to hire the talent you need. This needs to trickle down from senior leadership to HR and Finance in order to fix the issue.

Cengage2019-08-21

"It was an ok company"

Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Cengage full-time

Pros

Schedule and free time that you have

Cons

Leadership and a lot of things

Cengage2019-09-03

"Amazing Company doing Great Things"

Current Employee - Senior District Manager in Lubbock, TX

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Management is very transparent and approachable at all levels. The culture is very positive and collaborative. The vision from the top down to truly make a difference in the lives of students is remarkable.

Cons

The only con would be the stress of "rush" times but it is just that much more rewarding after we get through it together.

Advice to Management

Keep putting the student learners first and driving us all to do more together.

Cengage2019-08-20
  4. "Great company with high ethics and excellent product"

Former Employee - ANZ Sales Manager - Vocational & Professional in Sydney

I worked at Cengage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible, supportive environment with good communication channels and highly qualified and motivated SMEs always happy to assist sales. Great, inclusive travel perks and a good bonus scheme for sales people. Excellent technical support available for the many systems on which reps need to be proficient. Vice President, Higher Education leads team in a personal, kind and inspiring manner - deep understanding of... business and of people.

Cons

Base salary a bit lower than it should be and bonus scheme is stagnate in comparison to ever increasing budgets - there should be more correlation here. That said - if targets are achieved OTE is pretty good!

Cengage2019-08-16
  5. "Transparent, Positive Change, Excellent People!"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Independence, KY

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Management is transparent. There is a lot of change but in a good way! I have never worked for a company with better people. Everyone is extremely helpful! Extremely positive team environment.

Cons

There are "Rush" times of year where there is a significant influx of customer requests at once and a million things that need to be done. This happens about twice a year in Fall and Spring start ups. You are made to juggle a thousand tasks and everyone is busy. But as long as you know how to manage your time and set expectations with customers ahead of time it really isn't that bad.

Advice to Management

Continue supporting staff. Support them in their growth and advancement opportunities. Its always best to lift them up instead of trying to hold them in one place.

Cengage2019-08-16
  6. "Great Place with Amazing People!"

Current Employee - Paralegal in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cengage has amazing people and it's one of the many reasons it's an awesome place to work. People are understanding, willing to listen to new ideas, able to admit when they are wrong, and always have the desire to learn new things.

Cons

There is a lot of change at Cengage, and depending on who you are it might not be the environment for you. If you love change and are able to work with a level of ambiguity, there is no better place to be!

Cengage2019-08-15

"Cengage - Independence, KY"

Current Employee - Customer Technical Support in Independence, KY

I have been working at Cengage full-time for less than a year

Pros

*Wonderful benefits. *Great culture & general atmosphere. *Good starting wage and growth opportunity. *The 3rd shift (6:00pm - 2:00am) is the best group of people.

Cons

*The only big downside is Cengage keep attendance points, so habitually late employees or those prone to calling off regularly will run into trouble (an employer that wants employees to be at work and be on time... IMAGINE THAT) *There are a select few senior agents (only 2 of the 15-20 I've interacted with) who are extremely short and mildly condescending when "helping" newer employees.

Cengage2019-08-07
  8. "Flexible, Great Place to Learn and Transparent Leadership"

Current Employee - Researcher in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Cengage has been a great place for me to learn. Starting off at an entry level position six years ago, I have been able to progress my career greatly at Cengage. I find that the vast majority of my coworkers are interesting, engaged people, and they've helped me develop a career path I'm excited to be on. Cengage has also been very flexible with my work/life balance, which I appreciate. As a number of... reviews have mentioned, we have seen our fair shares of reorganizations. As an industry that's very much in flux, I think that makes sense. Additionally, I think the trend line of the reorganizations has been generally positive -- I feel like most of the changes that have been made over the last year are in the right direction. The current leadership is very open about what has worked and what hasn't and taken appropriate action if we've gone down a path that didn't work out.

Cons

When I started out in an entry level position 6 years ago (Product Assistant), the salary was very challenging to live on -- esp. in Boston where I worked and lived at the time. As far as I can tell, the salary range hasn't gone up significantly since then.

Advice to Management

Pay Product Assistants a higher wage

Cengage2019-08-12
  9. "Good Place To Learn The Ropes of Business"

Former Employee - Product Assistant

I worked at Cengage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great office culture, supportive teams, minimal stress

Cons

Low pay, often doing the work of multiple people

Cengage2019-08-13
  10. "Students first"

Current Employee - Facilities Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Cengage makes every effort to put the students needs first. It hires smart innovative employees who generally collaborate effectively to meet the company Ethos. The work environment lets employees concentrate on their work without added distractions.

Cons

Recent changes to better reward high performance employees is a good start and should continue. 401K match % and parking/commute subsidy should be higher.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you have been doing recently. Make sure employees feel as valued as the students we are supporting.

Cengage2019-08-12