Cengage Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

3.8
Cengage CEO Michael Hansen
Michael Hansen
Pros
Cons
  • "Cengage Unlimited isn't holding up to the pedestal it was put on by upper management(in 74 reviews)

• "To many reorgs when company numbers aren't met(in 37 reviews)

"Aggressively Transitioning Its Business"

I worked at Cengage full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Cengage is committed to an aggressive transition away from traditional educational publishing to student-focused technology based learning provider. As a result, it is a receptive environment for young technology focused professionals. Anyone with experience in Learning Management Systems, Adaptive Learning, Educational App Development, Instructional Design etc... will be valued and have an opportunity to progress. Cengage Learning was very good to me and I enjoyed my time there.

Cons

The educational marketplace is in turmoil with textbook sales plummeting, Cengage Learning, along with its competitors, continues to undergo major cost reduction efforts as it manages its transition to a technology company. As a result, there are periodic cycles of significant layoffs as it reduces its focus on traditional publishing and it continues to outsourcing many functions.

Cengage2017-01-12
  2. "A Good Place To Work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Clifton Park, NY

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Laid-back and low stress work environment Opportunities to work on modern technology stacks Growing investments in tech areas

Cons

Uncertainty about the upcoming merger

Cengage2020-02-20

"I Love My Job!"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent territory with great benefits. When you have the support of a Regional Manager it makes your job more enjoyable.

Cons

At this time, I have not had any negative experiences.

Continue reading
    Cengage2020-02-13

"A great place to work and grow!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Cengage has provided many opportunities to learn as both an employee and personally. I believe Cengage gives people opportunities if they are clear they want them both through demonstration of behavior and attitude as well as strong work ethic. I believe Cengage does a job of recognizing the work that people put forth. The challenging part is often goals may not align. For instance you want an opportunity in 3-6 months to advance but that opportunity may not be available until 9-12. Cengage is a company that values your personal life as well. For my direct manager experience they have always cared that you had balance. At times there is more balance than others but that will be true with any Company. The people I work with are great. And that is across departments and locations.

Cons

The company is working hard on transparency with their employees and I feel it has improved. I still think there is a bit more to go there.

Cengage2020-02-10

Cengage Response

February 19, 2020CEO

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. It is refreshing to read your comments as you mention learning, personal drive, recognition and advancement --- all are top of mind for me and the leadership team as we look for ways to deepen the learning we offer through our development programs, as well as taking the time to recognize excellent work. I understand that timing of advancement opportunities may not always align, and believe that the best way to go about advancing is to continue to look for opportunities to grow, including laterally, and by exploring new skills to broaden your capabilities. Your investment in your own development will always be well worth your time and effort. Thanks again for sharing your feedback and please feel free to connect with me directly at any time to share more about your experience at Cengage.

Continue reading
  5. "I Love My Job!!!"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I get to help Teachers grow the love of the world and education by providing them engaging and thought provoking materials produced by National Geographic Learning.

Cons

I don't get to see my colleagues enough. We all work from home in our territories.

Cengage2020-02-07
  6. "Going in the right direction"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive, Level II in Carmel, IN

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Management has a vision where the industry must go to survive, and is willing to risk a dangerous road to get there. They also consider not just shareholder value, but the needs of all stakeholders, including students.

Cons

I am not sure we need to merge with McGraw-Hill. Our strategy was likely to outlast other competitors, and the merger might just slow that progress.

Cengage2020-02-02
  7. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Otolaryngologist in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Smart people, interesting work, flexible hours

Cons

Some uncertainties with the impending merger

Cengage2020-01-27
  8. "Culture is great"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Representative

I worked at Cengage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great company and culture. Great people to work with.

Cons

Downsizing, not sure what will happen with the merger.

Cengage2020-01-23
  9. "Good co"

Former Employee - Learning Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Cengage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible, interesting and detail oriented.

Cons

Industry is turbulent. They are under pricing their products which in turn makes them less valuable to the customer

Cengage2020-01-22
  10. "Great place to work - highly recommend"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Cengage full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work life balance is great Coworkers are supportive and eager to help Environment is very laid back - dress is casual Customers that you work with are very friendly Management is supportive

Cons

None really - I would say the base salary is low but there is so much room for growth that I do not see this being an issue for long.

Cengage2020-01-21

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 1324 reviews