Cengage Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.0
Cengage CEO Michael Hansen
Michael Hansen
Pros
Cons
  • "In some cases, they even created "new positions" for people who were personal friends with upper management(in 73 reviews)

• "To many reorgs when company numbers aren't met(in 35 reviews)

"Aggressively Transitioning Its Business"

I worked at Cengage full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Cengage is committed to an aggressive transition away from traditional educational publishing to student-focused technology based learning provider. As a result, it is a receptive environment for young technology focused professionals. Anyone with experience in Learning Management Systems, Adaptive Learning, Educational App Development, Instructional Design etc... will be valued and have an opportunity to progress. Cengage Learning was very good to me and I enjoyed my time there.

Cons

The educational marketplace is in turmoil with textbook sales plummeting, Cengage Learning, along with its competitors, continues to undergo major cost reduction efforts as it manages its transition to a technology company. As a result, there are periodic cycles of significant layoffs as it reduces its focus on traditional publishing and it continues to outsourcing many functions.

Cengage2017-01-12
  2. "Great Job"

Current Employee - Learning Consultant in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible, fun, and great people to work with

Cons

Need a lot of self motivation

Cengage2019-09-24
  3. "Rewarded for good work"

Current Employee - Senior Learning Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You are a part of a team whose success is tied to your success. This means that you have a built in support system of people working to make you better and working to help you find new customers. Even if you are not growing on your own, your team is there to help you build up your accounts. Our territory size is nice. I find myself home almost every night.

Cons

The work-life balance can tip the wrong way sometimes. Most days I spend working on campuses across the state and then have to work on my computer late into the night to keep up with emails and planning. I can say that this extra work has turned in to extra sales commissions for myself though.

Cengage2019-09-19
  4. "Cengage review"

Current Employee - Software Engineer-II

I have been working at Cengage full-time

Pros

Wednesday Company sponsored lunches are great

Cons

Education sector, so salaries are not that high

Cengage2019-09-16
  5. "Working At Cengage"

Current Employee - Software QA Engineer

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Friendly work environment Varied and interesting projects

Cons

Lots of changes in the industry

Cengage2019-09-13
  6. "Great Company, Better People."

Current Employee - Business Analyst

I have been working at Cengage full-time for less than a year

Pros

Cengage is consistently rated one of the best places to work and it's clear to see why... Good benefits, a focus in employee well-being, and people who are invested in your professional and personal success.

Cons

None to report so far.

Cengage2019-09-11
  7. "Great working environment and even better work culture"

Current Employee - Platform Engineer in Clifton Park, NY

I have been working at Cengage full-time for less than a year

Pros

Management is transparent, encourages professional growth and will assist however they can. I have never worked at a company with a better work culture. Everyone is extremely helpful! Extremely positive team environment!

Cons

Feel as though there could be more training class

Cengage2019-09-11
  8. "No other culture and environment like it"

Current Employee - Learning Consultant in Independence, KY

I have been working at Cengage full-time for less than a year

Pros

You won't find another company that makes you feel like family on your first day of work. The entire culture and environment is the number one pro about Cengage. The training and expectations are superb and the help that is all around is always willing to work together as a team to achieve goals. Cengage will motivate you to do your best for not only Cengage but yourself. They help you learn quick and you will never be scared to ask questions.

Cons

There are no cons working at Cengage in Independence!

Cengage2019-09-11

"Wolves in Sheep's Clothing"

Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Cengage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fairly flexible schedules & remote working - depending on direct manager. Meeting highly educated and passionate people (senior management not included). Good place to work short term to learn the industry basics under high profile brand. Some genuine people who work hard and are a pleasure to work with, strong network. Moved to a cushy Seaport location.

Cons

Endless and meaningless reorganizations with zero transparency. Catering to under performing employees instead of rewarding strong talent. Would rather pay external consultants than employees. Those with business consultant experience are treated like Gods, extra points for ivy league graduates. Very low pay for existing employees, better to leave and come back than seek promotion. Tries to disguise themselves as a tech company, but fail miserably on culture. Huge visible and destructive division between Product and Technology. Senior management is overpaid and out of touch with employees. Not enough women in senior management roles and making strategic decisions. Meetings about meetings to schedule meetings to discuss meetings within meetings for meetings. Sub-par process, weak tools, and failing operations leading to sub-par products - faster and cheaper always wins. Terrible open office concept that is about saving money, nothing to do with collaboration.

Cengage2019-08-21

Cengage Response

August 28, 2019CEO

Thank you for your service during the past 5+ years. I agree, we do have many extremely passionate people who work at Cengage and do amazing things for students, globally, every day. As we continue to make changes to transform our company and disrupt an industry to benefit students, it is important that we are open to candid feedback like yours. While there is a lot here that I would challenge, it is fair to say that our fast-changing environment is not for everybody. I wish you the best of luck in your next endeavor.

Continue reading
  10. "I work for Gale, a part of Cengage"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work at home one day a week.

Cons

I have never been at a company with such low morale. We have been so leaned out that it's impossible to keep up. Reoccurring layoffs, lack of transparency, and overall lack of support from management. There are way too many layers of middle management, and some egos are out of control. Pay is VERY low in comparison to the same jobs in other companies. Job titles do not correlate to workloads.

Cengage2019-09-22