Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare Reviews

Updated Oct 28, 2019

2.9
Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare CEO Dr. Derald Walker (no image)
Dr. Derald Walker
Pros
  • "The clients are great to work with(in 9 reviews)

• "Cascadia also has an extra employee assistance thing that will give you FREE mental health counseling for when you're stressed out(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Extremely low pay especially considering most employees have bachelor's and master's degrees(in 13 reviews)

• "Community mental health so the pay was not competetive(in 10 reviews)

1. "Good Environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare full-time for less than a year

Pros

enjoyable work environment and helpful bosses

Cons

Nothing bad to say here

Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare2019-10-28
  2. "Great place to work if you are in a small team"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare full-time for less than a year

Pros

Outpatient workers are unionized, although taking "baby steps"

Cons

Non-profit with for profit aspects.

Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare2019-10-07
  3. "Cascadia is okay"

Current Employee - Program Manager

I have been working at Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

A ton of PTO. Flexibility. Understanding managers.

Cons

Pay is not great. And more responsibilities and more work does not equal a pay increase. Don’t seem to really value their loyal employees.

Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare2019-10-01

"I want to be able to write something nicer"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good entry level work Promote from within where positions exist Generous PTO Affordable Benefits Good teams (can be hit or miss, but generally good) Good clients

Cons

Cascadia moves slower than the feds on making and implementing necessary changes. They do not give performance based raises, nor do they regularly give a COLA increase. They are constantly restructuring and trying to open new programs because they want to help but their attention is thus rarely focused on their primary book of business, so the core programs suffer. They cannot squeeze more money out of the state... and counties so they are way behind the curve on pay which means they are always understaffed. Further, senior leadership has moved to a culture of opacity which breeds misinformation, distrust and feelings of resentment. Despite some in places of power warning against this, there appears to be no interest in being more open.

Advice to Management

Double down and do what it takes to make the services sustainable. Go hard at the state to get the funding necessary and don't back down. You are putting yourselves and your clients at risk by running people into the ground for unliveable wages. Get uncomfortable and go to bat for your employees. I know that I and many, many other caring people *want* to work for you. Stop making it so hard.

Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare2019-09-17
  5. "IT manager"

Current Employee - IT Manager

Pros

does good work for the community, good work and coworker environment, decent benefits.

Cons

non-profit pay. communication with leadership can be below-par.

Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare2019-08-14
  6. "Maintenance technician"

I worked at Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare

Pros

The PTO is about the only good thing.

Cons

Maintenance technicians are not appreciated there. They have high expectations that don’t match the pay. Being on-call is nightmare. The tech is the answering service. They use you like a disposable glove and replace when you speak up.

Advice to Management

Appreciate hard work. In other words, compensate for hard work.

Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare2019-09-16
  7. "Decent place to work"

Former Employee - Residential Counselor

I worked at Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare part-time for more than a year

Pros

Not sitting at a desk all day. Coworkers were pretty chill.

Cons

Your dealing with mental health so everyday is different. Pay isnt the best. If you work the night shifts you'll be working alone which can be intense if individuals have mental break downs and your by yourself dealing with it. This job weighs a lot on your own mental health.

Advice to Management

If the pay was better maybe more people would want to work there

Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare2019-08-09
  8. "Worst Supervisors I've Ever Encountered - uneducated"

Former Employee - Counselor III in Portland, OR

I worked at Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very Supportive Co-Workers understood that Cascadia was a dysfunctional workplace and were supportive and understanding when supervisors made uneducated decisions regarding clients etc.

Cons

Supervisors had less education than their employees and there was a complete and total lack of understanding and empathy. None. I wondered if they suffered from mental illness.

Advice to Management

Mind that you are actually looking at an issue with fresh eyes and not just going along with your long-time co-worker - this includes supervisors, HR, everyone. Treat everyone with respect, not just those employees who are minorities. Everyone.

Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare2019-08-24
  9. "nice coworkers, really poor management"

Former Employee - LPC in Portland, OR

I worked at Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

working with other therapists is the one pro of this organization, also they are unionized now!

Cons

management is poor, large organization, managers are disconnected from the difficulties thier employees face, high potential for burnout, high turnover, they really discouraged unionizing although we finally got it! Not trauma informed towards employees, also I did not find them helpful in returning from maternity leave, breaks to pump milk were poorly planned and they could not always provide a locked room or an... accomodating schedule.

Advice to Management

Be trauma informed and humane towards your employees! I really just wanted to help others and take care of myself at the same time and I had to leave as I was not supported in efforts of self-care. My manager was very difficult to approach with difficulties, he listened but was powerless to effect change on my behalf. Employees need to be empowered in having choices in thier schedule and how changes to job... description are rolled out. If I felt like I had some buy-in or concent to the way CCBHC was rolled out I would have stuck it out longer. I am a very skilled clinician and wanted to stay but felt forced to leave to stay healthy.

Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare2019-08-21
  10. "Hard job, but I loved it."

Current Employee - Program Manager II in Portland, OR

I have been working at Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

staff, clients, lots of laughs and strong work bonds

Cons

difficult to maintain work/life balance, long hours, overworked staff

Advice to Management

raise the hourly rate to retain more staff and to bring new staff in,

Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare2019-06-24