Carillion Canada Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Simon Buttery

1. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Power Engineer in Sault Ste. Marie, ON
    Current Employee - Power Engineer in Sault Ste. Marie, ON

I have been working at Carillion Canada full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Carillion is a company that really cares about their employees .They are very active in providing a safe workplace for their staff. The company encourages staff to think outside the box and be creative by offering cash for innovative ways to improve operational performance that could improve margins. Carillion is a great business to be part of and I would encourage anyone seeking a career with a caring and respected company to come and work with us at Carillion

Cons

none none none none none

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Not what it seems"

Former Employee - Data Entry in Concord, ON
    Former Employee - Data Entry in Concord, ON

I worked at Carillion Canada full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are generally nice - or at least infront of you they are. Some managers are supportive and grateful for your help and work. Others just think of their "reputation" and are never responsible for mistakes in their department; even when they're the ones who "review" and "approve."

Cons

Pay is not fair. Those who are friendlier or knows "someone" get promoted and get paid higher regardless of the quality of their work and their experience or academic background. Training is non-existent. They expect you to know everything, to think forward, and to read people's minds. If you make a mistake, they'll say it's fine. But of course it's not fine! They'll say you're doing great but of course you're not! Like what the previous comment said, "Great place to work if you're a Brit." Or if you're WHITE. They have these "company values" that they teach new employees, including diversity. But of course the place is not diverse! I can count in my fingers the number of Asian people in this place. Not including the South Asians who were from Carillion in the UK. All talk and no walk when it comes to their "values."

Advice to Management

Train people properly! They are not mind readers! Reward those who deserve it and not those who are "friendly." Just because someone is not friends with their managers does not mean they are not capable or good at their job. The values you claim to have as a company are all good but you need to WALK YOUR TALK.

"Not worth it"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concord, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concord, ON

I worked at Carillion Canada full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great way to learn and become very marketable for other companies as you take on the responsibility of multiple roles which helps you develop a wealth of skills.

Cons

The organizational culture at Corporate is poor. A significant number of employees are exhausted from being over-worked and underpaid as they operate very lean. The company is EXTREMELY top heavy with little to no horsepower to actually get the work done. Inter-departmental communication is poor which tends to create a negative work environment. The company preaches professional development but there is no follow through.

Advice to Management

Reduce the size of upper management and re-invest the funds into hiring more frontline support in order to actually get the work done. Increase accountability for upper management. Consider providing the opportunity for existing staff to grow within the company instead of hiring externally.

5. "Design Coordinator"

Current Employee - Design Coordinator in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Design Coordinator in Toronto, ON

Pros

Not Bad company to work with

Cons

New construction management are ignorant

Advice to Management

Look for opening work, Keep your employees

6. "Corporate Counsel"

Current Employee - Corporate Counsel in Concord, ON
    Current Employee - Corporate Counsel in Concord, ON

I have been working at Carillion Canada (Less than a year)

Pros

Good company, good variety of work

Cons

Many longstanding disputes but improving

Advice to Management

Invest in project management and hire better subcontractors not necessarily lowest bidders

7. "Overall not that great"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Concord, ON
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Concord, ON

Pros

The people at Carillion are excellent to work for. Well rounded individuals with diverse backgrounds. I learned a lot working there. Pay was fair for the job. Everyone was professional and helpful. The job was very challenging and my boss always gave me something challenging to do.

Cons

The environment itself was toxic. Staff felt overworked and were miserable. Very little promotions. Worked in an old school mentality. Upper management do not understand work life balance. Upper management are quite rude. Very little employee engagement if none at all. Too many heavily paid executives. Carillion has a very high turnover and anyone who works there will tell you the same thing. They aren't the greatest employer and its the worst employer I have ever had. I wouldn't recommend this employer. However, it's a good place to get some experience and move on.

Advice to Management

No comment.

8. "Crack-sealer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bonnyville, AB
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bonnyville, AB

I worked at Carillion Canada full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There were lots of chances to stay later and ear some overtime. Related to this, the pay was very good for a summer student.

Cons

Although they stressed safety, they stressed in in all the wrong areas. While we were required to wear hard hats (for cracksealing), nothing was done about the vehicles speeding through the work zone.

Advice to Management

Please redirect your safety efforts. Stop worrying about something falling on our head and rather worry about your workers getting heat stroke from the hard hats. Stop caring about long sleeves being worn and start caring about working with the police to stop people from speeding through the work zones.

9. "road maintance"

Former Employee - Student in Lac La Biche, AB
    Former Employee - Student in Lac La Biche, AB

I worked at Carillion Canada full-time

Pros

Carillion Canada have good rate of pay and great hours. Co-workers become like family. I have be given opportunity to travel around this great province because of working with Carillion, something I probably wouldn't have done if not for working for them.

Cons

I really can't think of a con of working with Carillion. I honestly had a great time working for Carillion. To this day I still talk about how much I have learnt and experience while working for Carillion.

Advice to Management

I don't have any advice to give really. When we were short on workers they hired. If equipment failed, they fixed it. If a family emergency arose, they were supportive.

10. "Operator"

Current Employee - Operator in Bonnyville, AB
    Current Employee - Operator in Bonnyville, AB

I have been working at Carillion Canada full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The training that they give us The fact that we are Intercal part of keeping roads safe and in good condition.

Cons

The fact that the company thinks save money cut hours

"Commercial Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, ON

I worked at Carillion Canada full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Large company - decent pay

Cons

disorganized - little autonomy for Canadian management - British HO want to make the decisions