Capital One Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Richard D. Fairbank
3,706 Ratings

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Need to do smart work to maintain work life balance" (in 212 reviews)

• "Performance management - associates in the same job level are ranked against each other by management" (in 246 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great culture and people"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Midtown Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Midtown Toronto, ON

I have been working at Capital One full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been at Capital for a few years now and my three favorite things about it are:

1. The culture - it's a work hard play hard, informal environment that centers around pushing associates to take full ownership of their space to drive value; there's also a big emphasis on career development, I've already played three different roles in my time here and I've always had the support and space to ramp up and learn.

2. The people - tied closely to the culture, this a big team who really rallies together for the sake of our customers; I've learned so much from my peers, team, managers, and leaders over the years: everything from tactical skills, to being an effective leader

3. The resiliency: the company has been growing a lot and with that comes a lot of change; the leadership team is not afraid to make bold transformations to meet the needs of the market and keep up with the industry; it's been a great experience being part of such big changes and watching them unfold over the years.

Cons

Of course, no place is perfect.

At the end of the day, this is a big organization and with that comes a little bit of difficulty in getting things done. It's definitely not as bad as other big organizations - specially in the financial industry - and it's something we are working to resolve. It does get better the more we try!

Capital One Response

22 May, 2018 – Talent Brand Ambassador

What a great review - setting our associates up for career success is a high priority for us. We not only hire top talent, but we enjoy cultivating it as well. We’re so happy to hear that your... More

2. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Capital One full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a lot
    - great workplace with awesome people

Cons

There are very few
    - some level of politics

3. "Great culture"

I have been working at Capital One full-time

Pros

Great casual business culture, relatively little overtime

Cons

opportunities limited because it is only a small credit card company in Canada

4. "So-so company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Capital One full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, salary and work-life balance

Cons

Entitled associates. Inexperienced leaders.

Advice to Management

Bringing in US leaders every two to five years is exhausting for Canadian associates.

5. "data scientist"

I worked at Capital One full-time

Pros

flexible. and learn a lot new things

Cons

too difficult to get promoted

"Lawyer"

Current Employee - Compliance in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Compliance in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Capital One full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Collaborative and dynamic environment in Canada

Cons

Too much US influence on business

Advice to Management

Think about the lack of brand presence in Canada!

"Golden Handcuffs but no work fulfillment"

Current Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Capital One full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- great pay
    - great location
    - great talented people
    - great work life balance

Cons

- poor strategy
    - training ground for US and UK leaders
    - can’t get work done
    - lack of professional development
    - poor career pathing (only saved for the chosen few)
    - lots of politics and chaos
    - difficult to get promoted unless you work on the popularity game

Advice to Management

In addition to good pay and benefits, focus on creating a vision and strategy that teams can get behind and remove roadblocks so they can get the work done and innovate. Don’t just stand on the side line when morale is poor and send another survey but take no action to solve it.

"Read this twice before you join"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I worked at Capital One full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefit and pay package
    Convenient location
    Good work/life balance

Cons

-It is NOT a tech company. It is a BANK. The culture of a bank. The office politics of a bank. The boring routine work of a bank. The tech branding is misleading. Most of the technology stack is old with a shy use of modern technologies. Toronto studio relies heavily on the US studio to deliver any new feature or product. As a developer, you inherit mostly everything built by the US teams and you adapt it to fit the Canadian market. Your work becomes mostly maintenance and bug fixing.
    -Some Product managers/owners can be mean and bullies. They can be very conservative and lack any vision and creativity. They are not interested in enhancing or modernizing their products. Unfortunately, they drive technology and as a result, developers do not get the chance to work on exciting new and modern technologies.
    -The worst culture ever. Some developers are toxic; having the culture of hiding information from you so you don't perform better. Managers are bullies and passive aggressive. You have to suck up to them, but if you try to challenge the status quo, you could end up without a manager and without a team! Scrum masters do not even attend the meetings they set up for their teams, and most of the time they are useless. They are always overwritten by the managers and as a result, lots of clash and unsettling situations.
    - Performance management and review process is utterly impersonal, de-motivating and ineffective. It doesn't measure your performance or your creativity. It just forces you to be submissive if you want to get a good review from your manager. It is a tool to control you and not to enable you! It measures how much you delivered even if there was nothing to deliver!

Advice to Management

-Stop relying on the US teams to deliver anything. Try to have a vision and share it with your teams. -Enable your smart employees and find them opportunities to excel and do great job. Most of them are leaving and the ones inside are looking and hoping to leave.
    -Allow your employees to have a choice and to voice freely their concerns without being bullied.
    -Create work opportunities and projects for them if you want them to deliver something. It is unfair and absurd to blame your employees for not delivering enough if you don't give them things to do and if your incompetent product managers/owners are not interested in enhancing their outdated products resisting and rejecting any new idea.

"Software Engineers - the review you wish you read before you joined this circus"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Capital One full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- decent compensation
    - good location of office
    - piggy back on the good name the US side has made for themself.

Cons

- not a tech company
    - do not value or reward good technical talent
    - promotions are based on who you suck up to and appearances. No reality. No deliverables.

Advice to Management

The reality is, this is a bank. Stop branding yourself as a tech anything. Your "Product Owners/Managers" are a joke, and will never cut it in a real tech/product company. Good developers and engineers, please stay away from this place. Your career will depend on who you suck up to, not solid tech skills or SDLC/Agile knowledge. Scrum Masters are a running joke, and get in the way of actually delivering anything. We don't know what they do all day. Upper management is a little country club, and anyone who goes against them will be pushed out and punished. This starts at the very top of the tech organization (you know who you are).

In summary, go work for a tech company. Let TD/RBC/CIBC/list some other bs, monopolistic bank rotate in here.

"Great Place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I worked at Capital One full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of room for advancement.
    Excellent work life balance.
    Friendly team atmosphere.
    Management values input from all employees.
    Great benefits and pay stru8cture.

Cons

Don't always have a choice in how your career is developed.
    Career advancement can be hindered by disagreement with team leaders.

Advice to Management

Provide better career advancement opportunities and programs for internal candidates to apply and work their way into management roles,