Capital One Reviews

3.9
Capital One Founder, Chairman & CEO Richard D. Fairbank
Richard D. Fairbank
4,280 Ratings
Pros
  • "Work life balance; always talk of not emailing after work hours(in 1159 reviews)

• "Innovation freedom to try out new things great benefits 7(in 791 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Brand Ambassador

I have been working at Capital One full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing work environment as well as benefits. Capital One encourages their employees to inspire and provides them with the tools and resources to do so.

Cons

I really have nothing negative to say about the company.

2. "Focus on learning"

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Capital One full-time for less than a year

Pros

1 out of 10 days dedicated to developing technical skills

Cons

Slow pace. Lot’s of red tape.

3. "Cool"

4.0
    Current Employee - ERC Associate

I have been working at Capital One full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Opportunity for advancement, great team environment, good work life balance

Cons

Unorganized business structure, little regard for entry level

"I lost my identity working at Capital One"

2.0

I have been working at Capital One full-time

Pros

Competitive Pay and Benefits Diverse Teams (comparatively) Friendly Teammates

Cons

- I am in a satellite office, and leadership has no vision. Big dreams about helping people with credit, no actionable plan to achieve these goals. - Young people leaders promoted because of technical expertise, but don’t know how to lead or support people. Also willing to throw people in their team under the bus to achieve their own promotion. - Business practices, at the end of the day, are obscene. If we truly want to help people build their credit, why are we using pay day loans as a benchmark? Leadership loves giving examples of when we forgive loans (usually under extreme circumstances) - however, hard to forget the other hundreds of thousands of heads we are pushing underwater. - Nothing you do matters. For all the analysis you do, if the conclusions of your work don’t match up with what managers were going to do anyways, you’re sent back to rework the analysis to support the original hypothesis. - Cult-like culture - be careful or you will be brainwashed into thinking that you’re actually helping people.

"The fintech branding is a lie"

2.0
    Former Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I worked at Capital One full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great place to learn cloud technologies and get your certs, free subscriptions to great online resources. - Some teams can be great at times and you may learn a few things if you are lucky. A lot of your colleagues are not extremely qualified so there's plenty of opportunity to mentor too. - As far as modern tech open-space sweatshops go they have nice sit-stand desks and nice aesthetics. Some catered lunches, the ones the business side pays for can be really good but engineering is mostly fed pizza. - A lot of distractions, you can be busy for months without doing any actual work. Don't worry, as long as you make your senior manager look good you will still get promoted!

Cons

The senior management team is great at manipulation and self-promotion; skills that allow them to recruit some good talent which, sometimes, accidentally, can form good teams. Don't expect those teams to last, you will soon find out that all work of substance is done by the US team. Canada is playing catch up, you will find yourself begging US teams to push a button for you, write tons of configuration and maybe a line of code or two. If a promotion comes don't expect money. Pay is under market but they pretend it's not. Be careful who you trust! It's all cliques, in-groups and the agile coaches are there to report your thoughts to managers.

Continue reading

"Decent place to work but serious inequality between job families"

Current Employee - General Employee in Toronto, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Capital One full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Work life balance is excellent - Other associates are generally quite friendly - Leadership makes an effort for employees to have fun

Cons

- Salary difference between job families is ludicrous. Employees at the same level doing very similar work will have income differences of 30k, possibly more. Unless you're a business analyst, good luck. - Work in the Canada office isn't very exciting as most decisions come out of the states. It also takes a ton of people and departments to make even the most basic decision. - Like another reviewer said, "Analysis Paralysis". Too much emphasis on the same few analytical/data-driven views that any other opinions are rejected. - Promotion-motivated. From the day you start, you are fixated on your next promotion and if you don't get it within the 18-24 month window you will probably leave. - Like many others have mentioned, your success highly depends on your manager as they have to advocate for your promotions.

Continue reading
  7. "Large company going through changes"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Capital One full-time

Pros

Good benefits - employer paid premiums for health insurance and tuition reimbursement.

Cons

High turnover - seems to be letting people go.

"Best place to work"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Capital One full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

WFH, Flex Hours, Good Culture

Cons

None I can think of

Capital One Response

July 8, 2020Talent Brand and Marketing Lead

We're so glad you enjoy working at Capital One . Happy to hear that you enjoy the work-life balance and culture that we all value so much. We love having associates like you on board!

9. "Amazing place to work"

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Scarborough, ON

I worked at Capital One full-time for less than a year

Pros

People culture looks after employees

Cons

Fast paced environment lots of responsibilities

10. "Great place to work and grow if you can get past the business model"

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Toronto, ON

I worked at Capital One full-time for more than a year

Pros

Capital One was unparalleled in terms of the work-life balance: employees up to the VP level would regularly leave at 4:00 pm to pick up kids from work, leave for classes, or make an appointment. The internal coding courses offered were an incredible way to get relevant, foundational technical skills that you could practice day-to-day. The role I was in was fairly challenging although the cyclical nature of the work meant that things would get repetitive past the 1-year mark. Fortunately the rotation program allows almost anyone to switch teams and experience a new role within the company.

Cons

Capital One's only real con to me was its unsavory business model. While the mission was to "Change Banking for Good", looking at the financials usually painted the picture of profiting off poor people and new immigrants off of interest and high fees. While this does not affect the genuinely great day-to-day work environment, there is a pill that should be explicitly swallowed when considering the societal value that is created at large.

Capital One Response

June 2, 2020Talent Brand and Marketing Lead

Thanks for the constructive feedback. We are happy to hear that you valued the work-life balance, and felt that your work was challenging and engaging. Although it’s never easy to hear where we’re coming up short, your feedback will help us make necessary changes.

Found 7495 reviews