Capital Games Reviews

"Typical game studio"

1.0
    Former Employee - Game Developer

I worked at Capital Games full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice new facilities, free snacks, dog friendly.

Cons

Lots of employee turnover (including new GMs every year or so), many members of leadership work remotely, no other game companies in Sacramento, inexperienced developers being asked to create a lot of content for their one successful game.

"Developer"

1.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Capital Games full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you want to work for a greedy company that only cares about money and not the users or product then this is the company for you

Cons

No morals uses shady tactics to make money

Continue reading

"EA is not the best to work for"

Former Employee - Videographer in Marina del Rey, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Capital Games full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lot of free time when a contract is not available.

Cons

Not enough work to make enough in Los Angeles

4. "Courseware Developer"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Capital Games

Pros

Great atmosphere amongst colleges and management.

Cons

The wages do not match competitors.

"Room for Improvement"

Current Employee - Full Time in Sacramento, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Capital Games full-time for more than a year

Pros

Sacramento is a great city and the office is in the heart of midtown. Lots of activity and great eateries in the area. Some truly passionate and dedicated individual contributors. The staff here actually plays the game and cares about its success. The kitchen is stocked once per week with a variety of snacks, drinks and dinner options (if you're working late). Not as robust as a silicon valley company but good relative to the area. Super fun IP – reminding yourself that you work on a Star Wars game everyday gives a sense of pride and accomplishment. Occasional off-site outings like going to the movies, bar-cade and holiday parties. Leadership seems to genuinely care about player sentiment and will course-correct when necessary. Game doesn't employ fleecing tactics like MZ titles. Players can truly be free-to-play if they wish and still have fun. Financial stability of a publicly-traded worldwide publisher. Working in Unity means that skills will be transferable to future projects and other studios (even with the engine's noticeable blemishes). Good environment for junior talent to get their feet wet.

Cons

These critiques are meant to be constructive. I want for this studio to succeed but there needs to be an acknowledgement of the problems at the leadership level – stop pretending that everything is perfect in all-hands meetings. I am willing to update this review in the future when improvements are made. Lack of studio harmony. Senior leadership struggles to make all the pieces (art, engineering, design, product etc...) work as one coherent unit. Stop treating them like silos that only a handful of managers are allowed to talk to. Micromanagement is off the charts. As leaders, it's your responsibility to unblock us and ensure that we can execute. It's not your job to keep halting projects so you can tell us how we're doing it wrong. This is the #1 contributor to putting releases “at risk”. Backdoor meetings. The inner circle (consisting of 2-3 producers) lock themselves in a room and then emerge to dictate, “this is what you're doing!” Not including studio specialists in decisions about the work that they will be doing shows a blatant lack of trust in their abilities. Too many last-minute changes. We understand that occasional changes need to be made without warning, but this happens MULTIPLE TIMES with EVERY RELEASE! Also, many times the leadership neglects to update the jira tickets, which adds to further downstream confusion with QA and GBS. Lack of team-building exercises. Please go and read the countless articles that Google has published on what makes a great team. Then do that. Questionable office attire in management. It's a sad state of affairs when the rank and file put more thought into their appearance than the management. There are a number of employees that clearly make a real effort to dress for success. Meanwhile, most of leadership looks like they just rolled out of bed and couldn't care less how they are viewed by their subordinates. I'm glad that you're comfortable, but how is this supposed to be inspiring? Referencing the non-retaliation policy (you know who you are). Come on... everyone knows that a manager can find plenty of ways to make your life miserable while circumventing this policy. The fact that you even mentioned it should be a clear sign that you need to prove that action will be taken if we bring you dissenting feedback directly. Don't just say it, prove it. Human Resources is a ghost. I have yet to see or hear from our HR department at any meetings (to my best memory). You're supposed to be the voice of reason when there's unrest.

Continue reading

"Capital Games is A GREAT PLACE TO WORK"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Capital Games full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are so many reasons that Capital Games is a great place to be. First of all, I love all my co-workers! They are one of the reasons that I love working here. The job is challenging and rewarding. The teams are smart, talented and hard working. The game is awesome and the team takes great pride in what they create. Our GM is a down to earth, easy to talk to guy. He truly cares about his team and the game we make. I am grateful to be here and see what our future holds.

Cons

I read through all of the reviews of Capital Games and my personal experience has been positive. There is nothing negative that I can share.

7. "Review"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Capital Games

Pros

Great place for growth opportunities

Cons

Is structured under the corporate umbrella

"One of the best team's in the industry"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Capital Games full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Capital isn't just a collection of employees, it honestly feels like a family. These are people you can easily work with, drink and play, and be yourself. Finding a team that feels more like a band of brothers is incredibly hard in this industry. The people are what make this studio so great. - Passion for the products. People give it everything they got because they are excited about what they work on. It can be a lot at times, but this is their reputation on the line, and they do whatever it takes to protect it. - Freedom to grow in the direction you are excited about. While it's not super common, I've seen quite a few instances of people moving around and playing different roles than which they came in. If you do good work and want to switch career paths, Capital has provided that freedom.

Cons

- It can be a lot of work. Capital is an incredibly faced paced environment, so if you're looking for a 9-5, look elsewhere. That's not to say there isn't work life balance, but when s*** hits the fan, get ready to buckle down and get it done. This is a team eats, sleeps (figuratively), and bleeds together.

9. "Great studio to work at"

4.0
    Current Employee - Development Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Capital Games full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great Culture People make this place special Very passionate crafts people who love playing and making games

Cons

Parking isn't the easiest Fast paced production

10. "Great place to be"

Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Capital Games full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you like high intensity live service mobile development, it's an awesome environment. The studio is packed with passionate developers who love their game and love their work. It's part of the EA ecosystem but still manages to feel like a scrappy independent studio. Good work-life balance but lots of action.

Cons

Live service development can be rigorous and fast-paced.

Found 16 reviews