Capital Games Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Found 15 reviews

4.6
Capital Games CEO Andrew Wilson
Andrew Wilson
  1. "EA is not the best to work for"

Former Employee - Videographer in Marina del Rey, CA

I worked at Capital Games full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lot of free time when a contract is not available.

Cons

Not enough work to make enough in Los Angeles

Capital Games2019-09-20
  2. "Courseware Developer"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Capital Games

Pros

Great atmosphere amongst colleges and management.

Cons

The wages do not match competitors.

Capital Games2019-04-10

"Capital Games is A GREAT PLACE TO WORK"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Capital Games full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are so many reasons that Capital Games is a great place to be. First of all, I love all my co-workers! They are one of the reasons that I love working here. The job is challenging and rewarding. The teams are smart, talented and hard working. The game is awesome and the team takes great pride in what they create. Our GM is a down to earth, easy to talk to guy. He truly cares about his team and the game... we make. I am grateful to be here and see what our future holds.

Cons

I read through all of the reviews of Capital Games and my personal experience has been positive. There is nothing negative that I can share.

Advice to Management

Please keep doing what you are doing. I appreciate the transparency, the open door policy, and your willingness to listen and fix issues that arise.

Capital Games2018-04-04

"The Greatest"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Capital Games full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Capital Games is an amazing place to create. I feel grateful every single day that I get to be part of this studio working alongside talented and hard-working developers. Our GM is inspiring, smart and I am excited to see where he will lead us.

Cons

None that I can think of!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Capital Games2018-04-05

"Room for Improvement"

Current Employee - Full Time in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Capital Games full-time for more than a year

Pros

Sacramento is a great city and the office is in the heart of midtown. Lots of activity and great eateries in the area. Some truly passionate and dedicated individual contributors. The staff here actually plays the game and cares about its success. The kitchen is stocked once per week with a variety of snacks, drinks and dinner options (if you're working late). Not as robust as a silicon valley company but good... relative to the area. Super fun IP – reminding yourself that you work on a Star Wars game everyday gives a sense of pride and accomplishment. Occasional off-site outings like going to the movies, bar-cade and holiday parties. Leadership seems to genuinely care about player sentiment and will course-correct when necessary. Game doesn't employ fleecing tactics like MZ titles. Players can truly be free-to-play if they wish and still have fun. Financial stability of a publicly-traded worldwide publisher. Working in Unity means that skills will be transferable to future projects and other studios (even with the engine's noticeable blemishes). Good environment for junior talent to get their feet wet.

Cons

These critiques are meant to be constructive. I want for this studio to succeed but there needs to be an acknowledgement of the problems at the leadership level – stop pretending that everything is perfect in all-hands meetings. I am willing to update this review in the future when improvements are made. Lack of studio harmony. Senior leadership struggles to make all the pieces (art, engineering, design, product... etc...) work as one coherent unit. Stop treating them like silos that only a handful of managers are allowed to talk to. Micromanagement is off the charts. As leaders, it's your responsibility to unblock us and ensure that we can execute. It's not your job to keep halting projects so you can tell us how we're doing it wrong. This is the #1 contributor to putting releases “at risk”. Backdoor meetings. The inner circle (consisting of 2-3 producers) lock themselves in a room and then emerge to dictate, “this is what you're doing!” Not including studio specialists in decisions about the work that they will be doing shows a blatant lack of trust in their abilities. Too many last-minute changes. We understand that occasional changes need to be made without warning, but this happens MULTIPLE TIMES with EVERY RELEASE! Also, many times the leadership neglects to update the jira tickets, which adds to further downstream confusion with QA and GBS. Lack of team-building exercises. Please go and read the countless articles that Google has published on what makes a great team. Then do that. Questionable office attire in management. It's a sad state of affairs when the rank and file put more thought into their appearance than the management. There are a number of employees that clearly make a real effort to dress for success. Meanwhile, most of leadership looks like they just rolled out of bed and couldn't care less how they are viewed by their subordinates. I'm glad that you're comfortable, but how is this supposed to be inspiring? Referencing the non-retaliation policy (you know who you are). Come on... everyone knows that a manager can find plenty of ways to make your life miserable while circumventing this policy. The fact that you even mentioned it should be a clear sign that you need to prove that action will be taken if we bring you dissenting feedback directly. Don't just say it, prove it. Human Resources is a ghost. I have yet to see or hear from our HR department at any meetings (to my best memory). You're supposed to be the voice of reason when there's unrest.

Advice to Management

This studio is ripe with POTENTIAL to be great. We understand that you want to add your own flare to studio management but in doing so, don't discount the plethora of advice from successful leaders that already exists. There are building blocks of leadership that you haven't solidified yet, such as establishing an air of trust. Seriously, Google has literally written the playbook on how to keep your employees happy.... Respect your experts. Be inspirational. Let departments collaborate with each other. Acknowledge problems and present a clear plan to fix them. Show us that you're willing to build this studio together and we will have your back.

Capital Games2018-04-05
  6. "Review"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Capital Games

Pros

Great place for growth opportunities

Cons

Is structured under the corporate umbrella

Capital Games2018-01-22

"One of the best team's in the industry"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Capital Games full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Capital isn't just a collection of employees, it honestly feels like a family. These are people you can easily work with, drink and play, and be yourself. Finding a team that feels more like a band of brothers is incredibly hard in this industry. The people are what make this studio so great. - Passion for the products. People give it everything they got because they are excited about what they work on. It can... be a lot at times, but this is their reputation on the line, and they do whatever it takes to protect it. - Freedom to grow in the direction you are excited about. While it's not super common, I've seen quite a few instances of people moving around and playing different roles than which they came in. If you do good work and want to switch career paths, Capital has provided that freedom.

Cons

- It can be a lot of work. Capital is an incredibly faced paced environment, so if you're looking for a 9-5, look elsewhere. That's not to say there isn't work life balance, but when s*** hits the fan, get ready to buckle down and get it done. This is a team eats, sleeps (figuratively), and bleeds together.

Capital Games2017-07-09
  8. "Great place to be"

Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Capital Games full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you like high intensity live service mobile development, it's an awesome environment. The studio is packed with passionate developers who love their game and love their work. It's part of the EA ecosystem but still manages to feel like a scrappy independent studio. Good work-life balance but lots of action.

Cons

Live service development can be rigorous and fast-paced.

9. "Quality Analyst 1"

Current Contractor - Quality Analyst in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Capital Games for more than 3 years

Pros

Everyone is super friendly, easy environment to work in, room to grow and everyone is treated like family.

Cons

No real cons its amazing!

Capital Games2017-06-01
  10. "Feels like a small studio, with the stability and resources of a giant"

Current Employee - 3D Artist in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Capital Games full-time for more than a year

Pros

EA- Capital Games has been extremely generous with me and my little family. Excellent relocation package, good salary, great benefits! Not a single coworker here who I wouldn't feel comfortable hanging out with outside of work, we all just love games and making the best mobile Star Wars game we can.

Cons

Only downside for me is the location of the office, not a big fan of downtown Sacramento, lots of homeless people, drunk party kids, etc. Parking also kind of sucks, have to park some blocks away since the lot is always full, but it's really not too bad.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work, I've had nothing but good experiences since working here, and I've worked at half a dozen different studios in my career. This place is awesome.

Found 15 reviews