Capco Reviews

Updated Jan 14, 2021

Capco CEO Lance Levy
Lance Levy
Pros
  • "Felxible working hours which helps in work life balance(in 98 reviews)

• "When your co-workers and managers end up becoming friends you can do life with outside of work - you know you're at a company full of great people(in 54 reviews)

Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. Featured Review

"Great place to grow and learn!"

Current Employee - Principal in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Capco full-time for more than a year

Pros

Capco genuinely values and invests in its employees. There is a heightened sense of comradery and support from the Partner/Leadership team throughout the organization -- making it the ideal environment for growth. Lots of opportunities to make a significant impact at every level with an inclusive culture that promotes "taking initiative".

Cons

Have not been at the firm long enough to think of anything material

2. "You get what you put in"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Capco full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of room for improvement and growth, great management, and coaching support. The projects are interesting, have lots of opportunities, and are complex. The HR department has greatly improved over the last 2 years since they have hired more resources to support the fast growing company.

Cons

Base pay is likely less than the Big 4 consulting firms

November 3, 2020HR

Thanks for the very positive feedback on the firm. It is good to hear from our employees first hand that the firm’s growth is translating into enhanced opportunities and career progression for our people. Your feedback on pay however is not accurate. We benchmark our base salaries and total reward regularly against our main competitors, including the Big4 using an incumbent survey. As a result, we are very confident that on a total reward basis, Capco leads the relevant pay market for all our people and especially for our best performers. Other feedback on this forum regularly confirms this.

3. "Great"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Capco full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible working hours, Good compensation, Big clients, Supportive team.

Cons

Overselling work or some managers don't have management skills.

Continue reading
  4. "You get out what you put in"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant

I have been working at Capco full-time

Pros

Young and Smart people who work hard

Cons

Vague work that leads to being benched a lot

January 12, 2021HR

Like any other consultancy, Capco has a variety of short and long-term projects but we have enjoyed growth in excess of competitors so the work and quality of work at Capco is generally better than elsewhere in the market.

"Toronto Office is a Terrible Place To Work"

1.0
    Former Employee - Consultant in Toronto, ON

I worked at Capco full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Salary is higher than financial institutions. Benefits are excellent including 22 vacation days and 100% medical coverage. They give out free beer every Friday.

Cons

If you like working long hours, being bullied and enjoy being overlooked for promotions, this is the place for you. Otherwise, I would look elsewhere. In my 5+ years there, I saw way too much bullying at CAPCO Toronto (CATO). Most of the Principal Consultants (PCs) and Managing Principals (MPs) at this place are bullies. They do not listen to people and do not respect anybody’s opinion. These bullies will have people removed from projects for questioning their plans. And why would the bullying stop? After all, partners are willing to sweep all bullying complaints under the rug and HR is not willing to reprimand the bullies. The unprofessional behaviour does not stop toward CAPCO’s consultants. It extends toward the client. I have seen many examples of MPs ignoring client employees and fighting with clients. CAPCO’s justification is that we know what we are doing, and all the financial institutions do not. But then again, you would act this way too if you had a CEO that constantly preached this nonsense. Many of the consultants are incredibly young. Too young. Partners will sell kids fresh out of school to their clients as project managers and senior roles when they have no clue what is going on. CAPCO has too many kids out of university who feel entitled and think that they must be Senior Consultants because they have an MBA. The promotion process is also a joke. The promotion decisions are made by partners, i.e., salespeople. These salespeople do not understand IT and do not comprehend what the consultants are experiencing in the field. They base their promotion decisions on favouritism instead of good work. Kiss up to the CEO and partners, and you have a good chance at a promotion. There were too many bad employees getting promoted and even more hardworking and bright people being left behind. First you give up your work/life balance, and then you get nothing for it. How could I forget how CAPCO “encourages” their consultants to do community work? By community, they are asking you to build their brand by helping put together proposals, writing white papers, and other things. Of course, this counts for 25% of your end of year review. Problem is you must do all this on top of your regular work hours. Then the senior people i.e. MPs and PCs, take all the credit for the work. If you are fresh out of school, CATO is a good place to learn. However, CAPCO is not good for anything else.

January 11, 2021HR

Thank you for the positive comments on pay at Capco. We aim to pay competitively at all levels and above market for our best performers. The rest of the feedback is disappointing. As a firm we have been very clear that bullying has no place in Capco and we can point to a number of examples where we have taken very strong action against those who have failed to live up to our values and standards. Alongside a new ‘Speak Up’ helpline and website on which staff can raise issues anonymously, people are also encouraged to speak to senior leaders on issues of concern, as well as HR or even people in the global team. It is simply not true to say that complaints are ignored. We are proud that our people are recognized and rewarded for the work they undertake outside the day job, be that on Diversity & Inclusion, or CSR, etc.. In many firms, extra curricula activity receives no recognition, but at Capo this contribution is valued. We are equally proud of our commitment to accelerated progression, based on contribution rather than time served. This does result in people being promoted more quickly than they perhaps would be in other firms, but this is firmly on the basis of their contribution to the business. Our performance process has a number of checks and balances incorporated to ensure this is the case and that it is fair and transparent. There are clearly some issues that tainted the latter part of your career with Capco, but our commitment to our people, our inclusive culture and the chance to build a rewarding careers in Capco is as strong as it has ever been.

"Good People, Unimaginative work"

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Toronto, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Capco full-time for more than a year

Pros

Paid cellphone, less stuffy corporate culture, not as competitive as major consulting firms in Toronto.

Cons

vague promotion track, over selling work, boring projects, lack of good employee training. A lot of nice but incompetent senior staff leading large technology projects at a company that cares more about speed than quality of projects.

7. "Consulting"

Current Employee - Associate in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Capco full-time

Pros

work life balance, diversity, inclusion

Cons

Takes a while to get promotion

November 10, 2020HR

Unlike many of our competitors who adopt a time served approach to promotion, at Capco we promote whenever people show they are capable of working at the next grade. As a result, career progression at Capco is faster than in other firms.

8. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Capco full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great people. Challenging and interesting projects.

Cons

Getting too big as a company and becoming too corporate

9. COVID-19

"Fun place to work"

Current Employee - Analyst in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Capco full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people - outgoing, friendly and helpful. Lots of fun activities, lots of thought put into employee wellbeing. Clear communication from management (particularly around the current pandemic situation) and a heavy emphasis on individual comfort when it comes to things like going to the office, attending events etc. Beautiful office with amazing views of Toronto!

Cons

Salary on the lower side, standard employment benefits and not much more. Work life balance a little off especially at the moment

10. "Great Opportunities and Culture"

Current Employee - Associate in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Capco full-time for less than a year

Pros

Capco provides employees with a lot of opportunity to learn and get involved with different areas of the business The culture is great as everyone is encouraged to be themselves and be part of the community

Cons

No downsides that I have noticed

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,406 English Reviews