Capco Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Capco CEO Lance Levy
Lance Levy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance is what you make of it" (in 40 reviews)

• "Senior management is difficult to work with and unprofessional" (in 34 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Excellent team, and even brighter future. A place you can be known and make an impact."

Current Employee - Managing Principal in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Managing Principal in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Capco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Capco offers the best of both worlds, a small company feel where you will be known and able to make an impact, but also brings a Big 5 punch when it comes to delivering complex projects to top tier clients.
    Projects are at industry leading companies. The caliber of talent steepens your own growth trajectory, as you are surrounded by passionate, bright, people with deep domain knowledge and technical expertise. You know the impact you can make on the organization and don’t feel like just another number - leadership within your group knows every employee by name. The recent shift to being private is a exciting step to fueling Capco's growth aspirations.

Cons

This holds true with all consulting firms, but since teams are dispersed across clients and locations it sometimes is difficult to come together as much as we would like. There is certainly effort made to do this through a variety of after hours events- social, family and philanthropic. The team looks forward to team wide get togethers as a reunion of sorts with people you don't see on your current project.

Advice to Management

More team events would be welcomed...liking your team and wanting to get together more seems like a high quality problem to have.

30 Aug, 2018 – HR

Thank you for your review and we're pleased to hear your enthusiasm for Capco shining through after 5+ years with the firm. As a senor leader in our firm, it's great to hear your comments on the... More

2. "Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Capco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Capco is a company which has slowly transformed from a boutique firm to a major player in the Toronto financial services landscape. They have done this while maintaining a great culture that promotes a flat org structure and fun working atmosphere. The Toronto office is full of wonderful people to work with where egos are often checked at the door.

Cons

Depends on the work you want to do - Capco's expertise is in technology implementation and as such most of the work is focused in this space. It would be great if there were more strategic engagements that allowed the financial services expertise here to shine through.

Advice to Management

As the company continues to grow at this pace it will be important for senior management to ensure the culture and quality of Capco consultants is maintained.

14 May, 2018 – HR

Thank you for your review and we are delighted to hear your enthusiasm for Capco after 5+ years with the firm. Your review provides great insight into Capco and our culture - and rest assured that... More

3. "Poor Management"

Former Employee - Associate Consultant (Software Engineer) in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant (Software Engineer) in Toronto, ON

I worked at Capco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great Benefits
    - Good work/life balance if you are assertive
    - Unlimited vacation days (only if you take advantage of this benefit)
    - Great people at junior/middle levels
    - Good social events

Cons

- Poor/mis-management of software development projects
    - Little/no training for junior developers/intro roles
    - No mentorship
    - Senior management is difficult to work with and unprofessional
    - Sales driven software implementation projects promotes development of poor quality/buggy code to meet deadlines

Advice to Management

Implement mentorship/training programs for developers.
    Sell projects with technically feasible deadlines, work on managing client expectations rather than enforcing unreasonable deadlines on developers.

25 Jan, 2019 – HR

Thank you for your feedback; we take it seriously. Capco takes pride in the quality of work we deliver to our clients; we have strict standards and controls. If this has not been your experience... More

"Bad culture and poor quality of work"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Capco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lot of projects
    College type environment

Cons

Very poor work culture as it is completely ad-hoc and not process driven at all
    There is no professionalism among senior management

Advice to Management

NA

20 Nov, 2018 – HR

Thank you for your review, although we are very disappointed to read your comments. We would strongly encourage you to share your suggestions and raise your specific concerns through one of our... More

5. "Associate"

I have been working at Capco full-time

Pros

Strong culture, strong commitment to grow while maintaining stellar corporate culture

Cons

No specific cons that I can think of

29 Oct, 2018 – HR

Thank you for your review and we're pleased to hear that you are enjoying being a part of our Associate Talent Program. We wish you the best of luck for your Capco career and thank you for your... More

"Good for IT Professionals, not ideal for Business Consultants"

I have been working at Capco full-time

Pros

- Good culture
    - Casual work environment
    - Firm has grown significantly

Cons

- Not a true consultancy - primarily long-term implementation projects
    - Work is not challenging
    - A few large projects employ the majority of employees (lots of contractors)
    - Has become a development shop/delivery centre

30 Aug, 2018 – HR

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to read your positive comments on our culture, working environment and the growth opportunities. I'm not sure of your location, however while there are some... More

"Good for making money, but culture needs work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Capco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great benefits
    - Compensation can be really good to
    - Free coffee, some times lunches
    - Potential to learn and grow
    - Very interesting and fast paced projects

Cons

- Favouritism is rampant.
    - There's an "inner circle". You are either part of it or outside it and feel left out.
    - Infrastructure in the Toronto office needs a lot of work. They really need more space. The office is overcrowded.
    - Very similar to a college campus non-professional atmosphere all the time.
    - Loud chatting and gossiping is not just accepted, but encouraged.
    - Professionalism is lacking a LOT.
    - Work life balance can be bad at times, and you can be expected to work weekends, although not very often.

Advice to Management

Care about ALL your employees. Respect their needs and train new comers on how to behave in a work environment.

24 Jul, 2018 – HR

Thanks for your positive feedback on compensation, benefits, career development and quality of work. It is good to hear that we are translating our rapid growth in Canada into a positive experience... More

"HC is an enabler"

I have been working at Capco full-time

Pros

Capco really can be an amazing place to work but there are too many issues acting as barriers to making Capco truly top tier.

Recent reviews have shown that Capco has its blemishes. Those concerns are not invalid and this review speaks to my view of them but, overall, this place has its potential and you can grow a career here.

I believe that I’ve developed both great colleagues and friends that I will have throughout my career. I have learned a lot in my time here from the people willing to share their knowledge generously.

Most partners and senior management are approachable and, if you get a good coach, there is usually a clear path for promotion (at least at the lower levels). The challenge is, so many coaches are disengaged and, if you have a bad one, you might as well just quit. There is also no real performance criteria for coaching.

There is no shortage of work and, if you’re willing to put in the hours on actual work (not the fluffy stuff), there is great potential for personal growth and interesting work.

In Canada, if you’re a developer, there is no better place to work. If you’re good, you’ll get better. If you’re great, you’ll become awesome.

There is no better true, full service, digital shop.

Cons

Previous reviews have not been inaccurate. There is a VERY small group of partners who produce sales. As mentioned in a previous review, there are partners that seem to have no real purpose, other than showing up a couple days a week. Others seem talk for years, about “the big deal” but have seemed to not produce or need a lot of hand holding to close a deal. Of the partners that do produce, sales, most of them seem line their project staff to take the fall and to protect themselves from any client fallout. Often it’s the people left behind after the partners have moved on to their next client (victim) who are left to pick up the pieces and shoulder the blame.

If you can survive those projects you’ll find yourself in great shape to withstand anything that the corporate world can throw at you.

The performance expectation framework is rarely followed in the Canadian office, ad hoc application of standards to some employees and not to others and a generally broken review process where the loudest voice in the room at round tables gets their way and performance ratings end up all over the map.

In their responses on this forum, HC keep claiming how they have an open and transparent process in place and how they’re fixing or have fixed this. They haven’t (HC in NY talks a lot but have few results to show for it. It seems that when they “fix” the review process, they only make it more broken.

Lack of a 360 process – A previous review highlighted the lack of a 360 review process. There was an attempt at creating this a couple of years ago but seemed to be a side effort with very little senior leadership support. The effort really fell flat.

A 360 review should be part of all promotions discussions to senior levels (PC and above). The big barrier to success of the program, other than leadership support, is that Capco has tried to manage this internally and there is a widespread lack of trust that any feedback is confidential.

As noted in the previous review, the lack of a true mechanism for feedback from junior resources regarding more senior resources results in people only managing their careers “upward”. Often this creates an impression/reality of sucking up and certain leadership seem to almost adopt some of these individuals as their favorites. Sometimes that favoritism is deserved because some of these individuals are high performers. Unfortunately, often, some of these people are just good at assigning blame for their own mess ups and poor performance.

Inappropriate behaviour – Yes it is the elephant in the room, but it is nothing new. There have been previous reviews here that spoke to this and they have been consistently here for some time (referring to the office as a frat house among other things).

Nothing was done then and, while Capco will provide lip service to actions they will take, there is no confidence in the office that anything will change and, because nothing has been done in the past, people are highly unlikely to step forward to raise concerns to a corporate function (HC) that they don’t trust. This is particularly true in Toronto where local HC, although trusted, do not have the staff to address concerns without escalating to NY and the NY leads haven’t made an appearance in Toronto (to my knowledge) for over a year. (TBH, I'm not sure senior management want NY HC in the office. HC may find out a few things)

While being careful not to diminish the gravity of the issues (both real and rumoured), it seems corporate HC has either turned a blind eye to these issues or is so disconnected from the goings on in both the Toronto and New York office that it borders on negligence. Given that a lot of the stories of the inappropriate behaviour in New York make it to Toronto and vice versa, it’s hard to believe that corporate HC are oblivious. If they are truly this disconnected then there needs to be some serious questions asked of the general competence of this function in Capco.

Ultimately, this is an issue of individuals and should be addressed that way. HC is right in saying there needs to be a reminder of corporate policy. That part they do have right. The real question are

- will HC directly address the behaviours of those who have caused the issues to be raised (yes there are many)?

- Do the HC people in place today have the ability to create anything but a public facing response? Can they be the agents of change?

- Can the HC organization start to regain the trust of staff? Based on the number of anonymous responses, including mine. HC is currently not trusted to address some of these long standing concerns in a confidential and thorough matter. (Other than passive aggressive responses on this site that don't, in any way represent perception of staff or the reality of HC's performance)

We’re talking about trust and trust is based on perception and a track record of results. So far, there has been a total lack of results on any of these topics from HC (despite what their claims are here).

Advice to Management

Capco is at a crossroads. While it is a fun place and that fun, “be yourself at work” atmosphere has attracted some of the best talent, it is apparent that it has gone too far.

The over lean HC function in Canada is not adequately supported by the New York focused HC function from the US and there is now a fear that, in the desperate need to address some of the abuse, poor behaviour and favouratism, New York HC (who have rarely made an appearance in Canada) will overcorrect and the pendulum will swing so far the other way that the general camaraderie in the office will be lost. HC need to address concerns on an individual basis and be sure not to damage a culture because of a few people who have been unable to manage their own behaviour. HC also need to address their own ownership in leaving the behaviours unchecked before individuals felt the need to resolve issues through other channels. (NONE of the poor behaviour has been a secret for a very long time)

Any corrective action has to be material and has to span more than just one office. Corrective action cannot be “shill” reviews that are solicited by management and HC every time a negative review hits this site. It cannot be victimizing an EA who is trying to help and allowing her to speak for failed leadership (partners should have known better on that one and owned their own failings). It cannot be a CEO email that blames the reviewer for airing dirty laundry when those individuals are speaking of real problems that have come up again and again but are never materially addressed.

The instances of under performers being protected and over promoted are, as stated, “rampant” in both NY and Toronto.

The inappropriate behaviour (factual and rumoured) from over indulgence to at office events, to inappropriate solicitations of employees by men in power, to non employees still holding being on staff to people who couldn't get billable in made up jobs, to in office restroom/boardroom romantic interludes spans both NY and Toronto and needs to be addressed.

We are no longer a “below radar” firm. If we want to play with the Deloittes and Accentures then we need to begin to have a certain level of professionalism along with our fun.

Until Capco begins to really deal with these things, they will always be a firm with great unrealized potential

9. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Capco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Leading up to joining CAPCO, I’ve worked at a number organizations of sizes ranging medium to large. This is by far the best place I’ve worked at overall. A well-deserved 7th place at the Great Place to Work awards this year!

1) Flat Structure & Open Doors – In all the organizations I’ve worked in (including our clients), large hierarchies and visibility has been one of the biggest challenges for junior employees. Capco is by far (really far) the flattest structure I have ever seen. All employees have equal access to connect with senior management. It is very common to walk through the office and find Partners and MPs working together in a room with Associates and Co-ops. Most of the partners have personal connections with employees at all levels, knowing about their families, interests, etc. This structure and environment is driven from the Managing Partner down through all levels and skillsets. The doors are literally open for anyone to step in and say hello.

2) Culture – This is unbiased feedback from most (if not all) of my colleagues who have LEFT CAPCO in previous years: “The best thing about CAPCO is the culture and its people.” It really has a family feel, which is very surprising given the growth we have seen over the past 4 years. Working out of client site regularly, this is one of the things I miss about working out of the FCP office or even the Bay street office. There are sporting teams/events, theme nights, yoga classes in the office, hack-a-thons, social drinking nights and the list goes on. There is something for everyone to feel at home. Kudos to the management team for keeping this culture alive while maintaining the energy of a start-up.

3) Rapid Growth (Pros) – With the rapid growth there are a lot of opportunities that open up for employees of junior to intermediate levels. Access to knowledge on various practices with the focus on Learning & Development (internally and externally) allow many junior employees to learn and hone skills in different areas. This enables them to be candidates for a wider range of projects/roles and in turn helps Capco position itself more competitively as well.

Cons

1) Rapid Growth (Cons) – The same rapid growth has caused CAPCO to take some hits in talent as recruitment tries to keep up with the demands of the business. I would imagine there are more promotions with this growth. However, we have hired at the senior levels quite a bit (a number of whom have not panned out and left). This is disappointing as it signals that the organization would prefer to gamble on someone we do not know well instead of promoting from within. That being said, this is an issue I’ve seen in every organization I’ve worked in. A good majority of junior resources have shown promise but there is a significant number with entitlement issues who believe the work assigned to them is beneath them or do not understand the nature of the consulting business.

2) Continuity in Promotion Requirements – There have been some missed promotions as well as weak promotions – again, this also exists everywhere. If you continue to work hard, you will receive the recognition, even if not immediately. One big concern on this is topic is when high performers who are missed are given reasons along the lines of “Hasn’t managed a large team/workstream”, “Hasn’t been at this level long enough” only to see someone else be promoted completely overlooking those same ‘requirements’. These should either be firmly established rules or never used as a reason someone was missed. This inconsistency will cause a loss in good talent.

3) Favouritism – All the talk of favouritism is the reason for this being on the CONS list. Favouritism exists in everywhere in life. Liking one thing doesn’t mean the dislike of other things. There is no “insiders” group that gets advantages, everyone has an equal opportunity to grow and strengthen their network within the firm. As you grow in any organization, you will have favourites that have helped you succeed and be a favourite of those you have helped succeed. The issue here is leadership in the intermediate-to-senior levels, not favouritism. If you have worked hard and helped your manager succeed, your manager needs to be your representative and lobbyist to their manager and so on upwards. This is how it happens in every organization. If you feel you have continuously been missed although you are a top performer, chances are your manager is not a good leader or you think you are a much higher performer than you actually are. There are avenues and methods to rectify both of these scenarios – whining about the success of others is not one of them. Doing so just shows that you are not ready to solve problems and drive the results you are looking for – you would rather anonymously complain that life is unfair.

4) Inappropriate Behaviour – I am surprised and annoyed that someone who claims to have been with CAPCO through so much of its success is willing to throw the entire organization in a bad light in a public from because of some individual people/situations they do not approve of. Even through the rapid growth, CATO has been able to maintain a ‘friends & family’ atmosphere due to the maturity of its employees. A lot of the employees, especially those that have been here 3+ years, are friends outside of the workplace. This proportion of friends is also something that I’ve found unique to CAPCO vs. other organizations. Everyone does not have the same level of comfort and that has always been respected. I am not supporting inappropriate behaviour by any means – if there are such incidents, it should be reported through whoever you feel comfortable discussing it with (HR, Partner, Manager, Coach etc.) so that it can be investigated and addressed appropriately. But passing judgement on others based on your own comfort framework and taking that judgement anonymously to a public forum rather than resolving through any one of the many channels that exist internally just exhibits the same level of maturity and problem-solving that I referred to in the point above on favouritism – it’s not a surprise that the same person/people have these same issues.

Advice to Management

Look for opportunities to grow leaders internally - years of experience does not necessarily make good leaders.

Continue to maintain our identify amidst the growth and keep CATO's culture alive.

30 May, 2018 – HR

Thank you for your detailed review and taking the time to share your feedback.

You clearly enjoy working at Capco and we are delighted to hear this. The recent Great Place to Work award in Canada... More

10. "Good"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Midtown Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Midtown Toronto, ON

I have been working at Capco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good culture and nice people

Cons

moving away from traditional consulting towards dev boutique

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on people. NOT always are the those who make the biggest noise the smartest ones.

21 May, 2018 – HR

Thank you for your review and we're pleased to hear that you enjoy working at Capco, especially the great culture and working alongside your colleagues.

While the Canadian practice is certainly... More