Capco Reviews

Updated Aug 6, 2020

4.0
Capco CEO Lance Levy
Lance Levy
Pros
  • "Felxible working hours which helps in work life balance(in 92 reviews)

• "When your co-workers and managers end up becoming friends you can do life with outside of work - you know you're at a company full of great people(in 50 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to grow and learn!"

Current Employee - Principal in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Capco full-time for more than a year

Pros

Capco genuinely values and invests in its employees. There is a heightened sense of comradery and support from the Partner/Leadership team throughout the organization -- making it the ideal environment for growth. Lots of opportunities to make a significant impact at every level with an inclusive culture that promotes "taking initiative".

Cons

Have not been at the firm long enough to think of anything material

2. "Pretty Neat Spot"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Toronto, ON

I worked at Capco full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have seen this office grow beyond my wildest expectations. I had the chance to work with great consultants, mentors, and friends on projects that were often ‘mission critical’ for our clients and served as industry benchmarks in digital transformation. I grew a lot both professionally and personally over my time here, and I put that down to the people I worked with and was coached by. Growing pains are inevitable, but the openness to questions and focus on the ‘human’ element of the workplace makes the Capco Toronto office a unique spot in the consulting world.

Cons

Singular industry focus (a competitive advantage but can lead to project fatigue). Internal processes in flux as the company continues to grow at a rapid rate.

3. "Good starting point"

I worked at Capco full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good culture, good place to learn the basics

Cons

Basic and boring work, very tech focused

4. "I choose Capco, the people and the culture!"

Current Employee - Consultant in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Capco full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've worked a handful of places in my career and I can say honestly that this is the best place I have ever worked. CATO (Capco Toronto) cares about its people and shows it all the time. Especially during this very strange time, Capco is doing so much to keep people connected and engaged. There are virtual coffees with leaders, virtual networking, cooking classes, townhalls, and so much more. They are celebrating and innovating keeping us together. Most importantly, they are out there scouting and winning new business demonstrating every effort to support the company's success and our opportunity at roles that keep us busy and billable. This is a company where you drive your career and have the tools and support around you to figure out how. The Partner team, Resourcing, Human Capital, they all show their support and make you feel valued. Project teams form their own sub cultures and work hard to make you feel included and valued. I can voice my ideas and really contribute the best of what I have to offer regardless of how senior the people in the room are. The people are what make CATO special and it is so obvious that if you want it to be a great place to work, you can be a part of making that happen.

Cons

If you are more introverted, it can be hard to get involved with all the great things available to you...but if you just reach out some support, they'll be right there to help you find the right balance for you. You don't always get your ideal project, but that's the give and take of consulting.

5. "Good Fin-tech Consulting company"

4.0
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Capco full-time

Pros

great work atmosphere, good perks good pay lot of opportunities to grow

Cons

haven't noticed any during my tenure

6. "Super Welcoming"

Current Employee - Associate in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Capco full-time

Pros

Great community atmosphere and welcoming teams. Spirit of collaboration is in play along with a supportive management team

Cons

Workload can be fast paced but that's to be expected in consulting

7. COVID-19

"Ok place to work, good work culture but far from the real world consulting"

2.0

I worked at Capco full-time for less than a year

Pros

1. Salary on the higher end in the market 2. Unlimited vacation 3. Unlimited sick days and WFH 4. Good clients and networking possibilities/opportunities 5. Parties and fun, a lot of young crowd

Cons

1. This is not a consulting firm, this is a staff augmentation work. 2. Work culture is very undergrad style. Not a mature behaviour even among the senior management 3. Biggest issue is that they will downsize if they don't have projects like how they did in March-April 2020. They will hire like crazy when they expect projects and downsize when they feel like to maintain revenue targets. 4. The CEO for Canada said openly in virtual town hall that there wont be any lay-offs. BUT they already had a list of people they want to let go and were planning the lay off which they completed by April 2020 blaming on COVID -19. 5. Some people who were let go had just joined in October-December 2019 and they had not had any chance to perform or network and they were let go so easily in March-April 2020. You are just a number to them - if they can earn margin by placing you on a project, they will keep you else you are on your own. 6. They are not very respectful or transparent.

Capco Response

April 28, 2020HR

Thank you for the positive feedback on the firm and for acknowledging Capco’s competitive compensation positioning. We give our employees a high degree of flexibility and empowerment and provide high quality work in an open and inclusive culture. The feedback on our offering is overwhelmingly positive as Glassdoor reviews confirm. This explains our disappointment with some of the other feedback you have listed in your feedback. We are always looking for feedback from our people on how we can improve the experience at Capco, but it is also important this is fair and accurate. Like all consulting firms, Capco has a range of work within its portfolio, including some more tactical work but to claim this is a significant component of our business in Canada is misleading. Capco offers a wide variety of management and technology consulting projects in, amongst others, Business and Digital Transformation, Change Management, IT implementation and solution and system design.

8. COVID-19

"Great place to work!!"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Capco full-time for less than a year

Pros

I emigrated to Toronto from the UK in January 2020 and was lucky to have secured a job with Capco a few weeks later. It's been almost 2 months since joining Capco Canada and I can't express enough how grateful I am to be working for a company that treats their employees with utmost care, respect and individuality. Becoming sick with a presumed case of Covid-19 two weeks ago demonstrated just how great the company is; From daily calls to check on the progress of my recovery to a delivery of groceries and offers to drop off supplies. The company strives to retain a family feel and it really makes employees like me who are new to the country feel welcome and enjoy going to work. For those from the UK the benefits + work ethic is on par with UK standards if not better.

Cons

None at the moment.

9. "Bad experience"

1.0
    Current Employee - Consultant in Toronto, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Capco full-time for more than a year

Pros

Hard to think of any to be honest.

Cons

I had a horrible on-boarding experience. No one spent any time explaining their previous responsibilities. No transition materials. No explanations. I found that the management was not supportive and had favoritism, towards certain people. Hard to change projects. Desire to grow your skills in another area is often is almost impossible. There is a perception that if you are leaving to a new project, you are close to traitor. Project itself, required little analytical thinking and was purely manual in nature. All in all, would not recommend.

Capco Response

April 15, 2020HR

We are sorry that your onboarding experience at Capco wasn’t positive and can assure you that this was a one-off incident. We take our onboarding very seriously and want our new employees to have a seamless experience while joining Capco. Like most consulting firms, Capco works on a variety of projects, and consultants may or may not enjoy an assigned project. To ensure the projects allocated to you align with your career aspirations, we encourage our people to have early conversations with their Project Managers to set expectations. We are sorry that you had a challenging time switching projects, and ask that you reach out to your Coach or HR manager to seek guidance. We take employee feedback very seriously and will certainly use it as an opportunity to improve and look into your situation.

"Leaving this company was hard"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Toronto, ON

I worked at Capco full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Capco in Toronto has one of the strongest cultures I've experienced in my professional life. The tone is set at the top - the Canadian CEO and partner team are highly accessible, supportive, and invested in the personal and professional well-being of their employees. People at Capco come from an extremely diverse and impressive set of backgrounds and experiences, which not only enriches the culture but provides value-add perspectives to client engagements. The work is varied but industry-specific. If you are not interested in banking and technology, this may not be the place for you. If you are subject-matter agnostic or driven by the prospect of being involved in some of the most interesting banking work around - from strategy, to digital transformation, cyber-security, or any other aspect that touches the financial world - then I could not recommend it more. Benefits are extremely generous. In addition to the basics (good base pay, bonus structure, and health/dental benefits), there is matching parental leave (4.5 months for both new mothers and fathers, which has the added benefit of leveling the playing field from a gender-equity perspective), unlimited vacation, and matching RRSP contributions. The company also encourages people to take leaves-of-absence when they want to pursue a passion project - people have left temporarily to work for startups, start a business, run for politics, or even take a long travelling vacation. Leaving Capco was bittersweet - it is a unicorn in this industry, and as someone who is now client side, I will be looking for opportunities to bring them in to work here.

Cons

Like any large company in professional advisory services, there is an element of politicking and clique-y behaviour that can take hold. However, anyone who has worked in different consulting firms knows that it can be WAY worse than it is here.

Found 1270 reviews