Capco Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

3.9
Capco CEO Lance Levy
Lance Levy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good policies for working women and flexibility to manage work life balance (in 39 reviews)

• Great people with an approachable leadership team (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Getting the work/life balance right can be a challenge initially (in 32 reviews)

• The promotions often go to those who rub shoulders with senior management (in 25 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Review of CAPCO"

Current Employee - Partner in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Partner in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Capco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at CAPCO has been a great experience. Having worked elsewhere in the consulting arena, I can say with confidence that CAPCO really does have a unique and great culture. The people are open and collaborative. The mindset of the company is not weighed done by the heirarchy of larger organisations. The motivations of the business and people are very much about doing the right thing for clients, and as a result the client logos and type of work really stand out.

Cons

There are no real cons to working at CAPCO. It is certainly different to the larger consulting players and thus people need to be able to embrace and enjoy that difference.

Advice to Management

Keep pressing on and hold true to the uniqueness of the company

11 Dec, 2017 – HR

Thank you for your great review, and we're delighted to have you on-board.

It's great to hear that having worked in larger consulting firms, you appreciate what Capco has to offer to employees... More

"Consultant Interview"

Current Employee - Consultant in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Consultant in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Capco (More than a year)

Pros

Quick and easy! No technical questions, but recap of technical background and accomplishments.

Cons

Corporate culture and career growth.

7 Feb, 2017 – HR

Thanks for letting us know about your positive experience. We continue to look at ways in which we can make Capco's recruitment process successful, and will take your feedback on board.

3. "Great Company Overall"

I worked at Capco full-time

Pros

Great working culture, talented individuals

Cons

Must be well liked by the partners or you're on the sidelines

29 Mar, 2018 – HR

Thanks for your review and we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the Capco culture and working with your Capco colleagues.

We are disappointed by your comments around our Partners. Without... More

4. "Associate Consultant"

I have been working at Capco full-time

Pros

Good employee benefits
    Accessibility of upper management
    Great work culture

Cons

Low opportunity for travel (project dependent)

6 Mar, 2018 – HR

Thank you for your review and we're pleased to hear that you enjoy many of the great things about Capco including our market-leading benefits, access to management and our unique culture.

It's... More

"Good people but lacks name brand appeal. Not a real consulting firm"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midtown Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midtown Toronto, ON

I worked at Capco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most Partners in the Canada office are good. I worked with a few Partners in the US and they seemed good too. Like all places, for a few you wonder why they are Partners. But they allow you to have fun at work. You are given the freedom to try out ideas. The Managing Partner at the time was super cool. A lot of people work there only because of him.

Cons

The company overall is good and the feedback below is solely intended for future improvement and should not be taken as an old disgruntled employee venting.

1. STOP doing menial work - Capco needs to define what it is. Even though they are focused on Financial industry, they should find their niche. There keep doing a lot of menial work which completely spoils your brand. You cannot use your top talent to do such work else you will lose. Its hard to figure out what they specialize in, if it is menial work, then just do that. My advice - stop doing menial work.

2. Staff augmentation vs Real consulting - You are often pushed into client sites as staff augmentation like any other contractor. You don't get the type of respect a Consultant should get, clients view you as a resource that they can use to do any work, mostly grunt work with little professional value. Sometimes you are the only one from Capco in a client team and leaving you exposed to low to mid management at client sites. This gravely hurts the Capco brand. This also hurts your personal brand. We are not HANDYMEN of consulting.

3. Limited brand appeal, most people don't know about this company. While most Partners are good, this lack of brand appeal hinders them from getting meatier projects. Its disappointing since the Partners are good people but have to cope with this. They don't have much option but to bring in more number of small projects which are a 2-3 month assignment and you still keep waiting for that big follow up project.

4. The attitude of people is very different - if you are joining a consulting firm to fast path your career, then Capco may not be the place for you. Most of the senior talent that left the company and went to banks (only industry they serve) went into mid-management roles rather than executive positions. That's not surprising because most of the senior staff at the time didn't have that executive mindset. For some, that can be disappointing.

5. Little thought goes into hiring people at various level. Sometimes a kid may come in very senior because he knew someone senior at Capco. It is EXTREMELY DEMOTIVATING to other who have worked up to that level.

6. They are trying out a few things from time to time but there doesn't seem to be a clear long term vision. It is unfair on the people that work there to be caught in this confusion

7. Some offices are not that big but the support staff isn't still forthcoming to help. Everyone seems aloof most of the times. Sorry - you are not that big to show such attitude :(

8. Limited projects on offer hence if you get stuck in a bad one, there aren't much options.

9. Looks more like an unruly IT company at times.

10. Little to no strategy consulting work

11. If you have a competing offer from a more established brand, you need to ask yourself, do you want to work towards becoming a big dog in a small operation or not so big dog in a bigger operation. But if you are considering the former, you should size yourself up to the industry than just the Capco office you are working in.

Advice to Management

Hire a real consulting firm to create a 5 year roadmap and strategy. Respect the talent you hire.

5 Feb, 2018 – HR

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

We are pleased to hear your positive comments on our leaders and culture, and that you were encouraged to try new ideas. A key part of our... More

"Not good for intermediate consultant"

Former Employee - Consultant in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Consultant in Toronto, ON

I worked at Capco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good opportunity to network within many different organizations that you're placed at; if you want to be exposed to many financial institutions, especially if you're junior, this is good for you

Cons

Not strictly consulting, sometimes you're a butt in a seat
    Lots of pressure to get involved in internal events but feels very cliquey
    Consultant role is very broad, and you can feel stuck in this band (anywhere from 2 years experience to 7+); compensation feels unfair
    HR group is not helpful or interested

Advice to Management

All the internal events are exhausting if you're not interested
    Revise 'consultant' band

14 Dec, 2017 – HR

While we are pleased to read that you enjoyed the focus on financial services, and the benefits this provided, we are disappointed to read your other comments.

In particular, your comments around... More

7. "Nice place to work, kind people"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Toronto, ON

I worked at Capco (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly people, relatively small office, good pay as an intern

Cons

Management can be a bit "hands-off" at times

30 Aug, 2017 – HR

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your internship at our firm.

One thing which many candidates and new joiners comment on are the people... More

8. "Consultant"

I worked at Capco full-time

Pros

Great culture, flat structure, lots of events.

Cons

The way people work is not structured and organized enough.

8 May, 2017 – HR

Thank you for your feedback.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed working at Capco due to the culture - the flat structure and social, knowledge sharing and networking events are two of the... More

"great place to work"

I have been working at Capco full-time

Pros

it may sound trite but Capco really is a work-hard / play hard culture. Great mentorship and fun opportunities abound.

Cons

the company is growing quickly so adapting to the changes is challenging

"Stay away from Capco....Never ever work for this company"

Former Employee - Principal Architect- Technology in Mississauga, ON
    Former Employee - Principal Architect- Technology in Mississauga, ON

I worked at Capco (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of Empty promises
    Hype created for no reasons

Cons

Only few management team members drive this company
    Lack of vision
    Hit and trail management strategy

Advice to Management

Overhaul change require