Canadian Red Cross Employee Reviews about "red cross"

Updated Nov 3, 2021

Found 12 of over 388 reviews

4.0
Canadian Red Cross Secretary General and CEO Conrad Sauvé
Conrad Sauvé
Pros
  • "Red cross is very people oriented(in 12 reviews)

• "great team work, constant training(in 12 reviews)

• Cons
  • "No work/life balance, extreme workload, serious HR issues,(in 7 reviews)

• "work instability, work outside, too much pressure for targets, no benefits for fundraisers(in 7 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Canadian Red Cross and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "red cross"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Contractor, more than 1 year

Emergency care worker position

Nov 3, 2021 - Emergency Care Worker
      Business Outlook

Pros

travel experience, experience working in a fast-paced adaptive environment. The Red Cross is accommodating.

Cons

Typically you are assigned to a contract position that can be rather short. The hours may vary, and in this specific position deployments may be extended very last minute.

2. 5.0
      Current Contractor, less than 1 year

Best place to work in Canada

Mar 23, 2021 - Covid-19 Case Investigator in Calgary, AB
      Business Outlook

Pros

Red cross is very people oriented.

Cons

May involve working on weekends and evenings

Canadian Red Cross Response

Talent Acquisition Marketing Coordinator

We put people first. Thank you!

3. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great Organization, Poor Management

Aug 10, 2020 - IT Manager in Ottawa, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great project and program work. Some great, hard working colleagues. CIO is great. Connection to the International Red Cross world is a plus -there is always something interesting going on and you feel connected to Canadian and worldwide humanitarian efforts. Technology is generally modern and progressive even given the non-profit budget. Remote work is smooth. Office and work spaces on Cooper street are fantastic. Plenty of meeting rooms, great workstations, modern layout, great lunch room/ cafeteria with free coffee. The coffee machine attracts everyone which really improves collaboration. Organizational reputation is strong which opens a lot of doors. Benefits are pretty good.

Cons

No performance management and no transparency on promotion / career path. Once you start, you are given no awareness of what the next level is , what salary is possible, etc. There is no performance management system and no bonus system whatsoever. Overtime is not paid, period - unless you are in Quebec. Years pass and your salary stays static and HR shrugs their shoulders. The HR shop has been restructured many times over the years with little vision on worker retention. The fund raising unit, while effective, is run by a bully who does whatever he wants. Another software dev shop was stood up which , in effect, created three separate IT shops. The CEO/CFO don't know a thing about IT. They have cost the organization millions in poor oversight. The CEO has given cushy management roles to friends at the expense of the organization. A little too much neopotism for my taste.

2 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Former Contractor, less than 1 year

Community Service Coordinator

Sep 13, 2015 - Community Service Coordinator in Moosonee, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

I worked in a remote northern community for the Red Cross and had a lot of professional opportunities. It was a lot of self-directed work and I was given a lot of flexibility and freedom. Really appreciated the trust and respect I was given.

Cons

It was a bit chaotic at times solely due to the difficulty finding qualified employees and difficulty with employee retention that is a common problem among most employers in remote northern communities.

5. 4.0
      Former Employee

personal support worker

Aug 7, 2015 - Personal Support Worker in Peterborough, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

I was doing home care when my company changed over to just care-partners, I love my job and what I do. I never had any problems when we were Red Cross.

Cons

My only complaint was the amount of money we got for KM's.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Professional Organization

Jun 11, 2015 - Outreach Coordinator for Disaster Management in Lloydminster, SK
      Business Outlook

Pros

So many great reasons to work with the CRC, the support they offer to so many families, wether it's a personal disaster or a large scale disaster, comfort each family means truly that. I thoroughly am impressed with the idea of 'one red cross', and working together from province to province. I work at a border city of two provinces, and have seen how we pull together. I have also been impressed with the training that is given, top notch. And how could I forget the amazing staff who diligently work hard.

Cons

I don't really have any cons, other than breaks my heart to see people going through the pain of losing homes etc. Self Care is such an important aspect of what we do. As a former police officer, I know the ramifications of not dealing with post-trauma events. It is of highest importance that staff are trained and have good knowledge of their options post-events.

7. 4.0
      Current Employee

Appointed to the data entry

Jun 10, 2015 - Appointed to the Data Entry (Administration) in Montreal, QC
      Business Outlook

Pros

The Canadian Red Cross Society, a non-profit, humanitarian organization dedicated to helping Canadians, as well as the most vulnerable throughout the world

Cons

Personally I am against the premium which we send to the donors, as labels, cards, it is of the wasting

8. 5.0
      Former Employee

Home Care Worker CSW

Jun 5, 2015 - CSW in Timmins, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

My experience working for the Canadian Red Cross was all positive.

Cons

My experience had no cons.

9. 4.0
      Current Employee

personal support worker

May 29, 2015 - Personal Support Worker in Sault Ste. Marie, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

i work for the assisted living program for the canadian red cross i love my job because i love helping the elderly with there daily living. i have been working for 5 years in this field and its a inspiration and it put a smile on my face daily! thanks

Cons

travel time and not having benefits after your probation

10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

I get to help people, make a difference in the world and get paid for it.

May 8, 2015 - Philanthropy Manager in Mississauga, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

They do what they say they will do. They spend their public funds in an ethical, transparent manner. People involved with the Canadian Red Cross (and any Red Cross society) are part of a vast, world-wide movement that makes the world a better place every single day.

Cons

When the wrong person is in a position, action isn't taken quickly enough to remove them or move them somewhere else. This affects moral in a huge way. Also, during events like appeals for worldwide disasters, we are expected to work very long hours without getting fully compensated for it.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 12 Reviews