Canadian Natural Resources "long hours" Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Canadian Natural Resources Employee Reviews about "long hours"

Updated Nov 11, 2019

3.3
Canadian Natural Resources President Steve W. Laut (no image)
Steve W. Laut
Pros
  • "Good pay and benefits, excellent RRSP match(in 21 reviews)

• "The management team is great, and the savings plan is awesome(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • "Food options in camp are a bit of a hit & miss (so a few ppl do bring their own food); there was no progression matrix set up for admins in early 2016(in 13 reviews)

• "Long hours that were expected due to manager pressures and too much work(in 11 reviews)

Reviews about "long hours"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Mining Engineer"

Former Employee - Mining Engineer in Calgary, AB

I worked at Canadian Natural Resources full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Young Staff - Good Pay - Decent amount of flexibility for various job titles and experience

Cons

- Long hours - Get it done attitude

Advice to Management

- Work life balance could be improved

Canadian Natural Resources2019-02-07
  2. "Ok company to work for, but not a family friendly organization"

Former Employee - Performance Analyst in Fort McMurray, AB

I worked at Canadian Natural Resources full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay, employer matching RRSPs, no layoffs

Cons

Very little flexibility when it comes to family. You work their hours, no questions asked. Health and dental package is OK, does not include things like acupuncture, and very little physio and massage, dental runs out fast! Long hours. Management is not very approachable. Keep your head down and work. Career opportunities for women are not as abundant as for men.

Canadian Natural Resources2019-11-11

"Sinking ship"

I have been working at Canadian Natural Resources

Pros

Some of the greatest field experience in industry for engineers and all alike.

Cons

Company has a terrible sweat shop culture and a get it done mentality. Punitive safety culture for field personnel working long hours everyday to finish their job on time.

Advice to Management

This company used to be a leader in the energy industry. Remember talented individuals will slowly move to greener pastures with no intention of returning.

Canadian Natural Resources2019-07-21
  4. "Supply Management Professional"

Current Contractor - Supply Chain in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Canadian Natural Resources for more than a year

Pros

Didn't let go of anyone during the down turn. Free drinks. Good learning experience.

Cons

Lower than average industry pay. Long hours that were expected due to manager pressures and too much work. Not enough resources as people keep leaving due to the work environment. Micromanagement from top down. No room for advancement due to flat structure of the company. No raises. Expected to go out to the field often. Company has a sweat shop mentality. No work life balance.

Advice to Management

Stop being so cheap to your employees and contractors. They will leave when the economy gets better. You will lose lots of good knowledgeable people. Those who stay or new contractors will demand high compensation due to the many years of wage cuts, stagnated wages and the constant statement of you are lucky to have a job in this environment. Invest in your people.

Canadian Natural Resources2019-03-31

"Not a happy place anymore"

Current Employee - Field Worker in Fort McMurray, AB

I have been working at Canadian Natural Resources full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fly in fly out from Edmonton or Calgary

Cons

Low wages for long hours, lowest in the industry No compensation for awful travel time (frequent delays, flight cancellations, overbooked flights) Front-line workers incredibly under valued Production over safety and people

Advice to Management

You're going to lose a lot of good employees from Albian Sands. Your big salaries and bonuses come at the expense of those you keep down. I don't understand how you can treat so poorly and sleep at night. Every "cost" you cut and money you give back to your precious shareholders comes at the expense of those with their boots on the ground. I work in the field and I'm genuinely worried, we don't work with pride anymore or feel good about what we do. I have never been so mistreated or undervalued as an employee since CNRL bought Albian out. My advice to you, although I doubt you care, is to come to site for a week. Cram yourself into our tiny camp rooms, eat our salty overcooked food, sit in the cab of a hot D11 dozer for 12 hours. Get yelled at by team leads because production is low, be delayed by 4 hours trying to get home to your family. Put yourself in our boots and maybe you will have some empathy.

Canadian Natural Resources2018-08-09
  6. "Great Employer"

I have been working at Canadian Natural Resources full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company has no extra layers of management so things can be dealt with quickly. Asset teams are solid as is the management committee. Lean, mean, low-cost operator capable of surviving the lows of the economy and coming out stronger in the end. Love working here because of the people and the ever changing challenges!

Cons

Success sometimes requires long hours and dedicated work. There also hasn’t been any raises in nearly 4 yrs, which brings down the moral somewhat.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing!

Canadian Natural Resources2018-03-18
  7. "Decent, poor pay."

Former Contractor - Plant Operator in Northern Valley, AB

I worked at Canadian Natural Resources for less than a year

Pros

Decent stock Pension. Good middle management. Fun environment to work in, lots of laughs They fed us often on hard turn around days

Cons

Terrible Pay for long long hours with no compensation for travel. Sweatshop mentality. Felt like a child in a Nike factory

Advice to Management

Middle management was excellent to deal with. Very professional and approachable. At the corporate meeting they announced no wage increases and the result was complete silence lol. Upper management needs to stop being greedy and pay its workers. Typical capitalist bs

Canadian Natural Resources2017-12-26

"Land Admin"

Former Employee - Area Mineral Land Administrator in Calgary, AB

I worked at Canadian Natural Resources full-time for more than a year

Pros

Enjoyed the people I worked with and the work I did

Cons

Long hours and days and didn't allow part time

Canadian Natural Resources2016-06-28
  9. "Good student experience"

I have been working at Canadian Natural Resources

Pros

-Decent Pay (~27$/hr, x2 for OT) -Learn a lot about operating -Lots of responsibility (can get stressful)

Cons

-On call can be stressful -Long hours (10-12 hr days when operating) -As an engineering intern, would like more "engineering" experience, not only operating experience

Canadian Natural Resources2015-05-11

"Sweat Shop"

Current Employee - Field Engineer Lead

I have been working at Canadian Natural Resources full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Stock options, savings plan, healthcare coverage, 10% uplift in field, fly in/fly out, tax credit allowance for transportation, etc

Cons

Significant amount of politics in middle management Long hours - be expected to work 20+ hours for more than 3 months. No paid OT. Overtime hours are banked but restricted to when and how many days you can take as vacation Complete disregard for employee well being and work/life balance LOTS of micromanaging Safety is not a priority

Advice to Management

Consider reorganization in parts of the middle management. A lot of the messages from the corporate office are getting lost through trickles of middle managements and leads. Some of the leads are not necessarily doing what is best for the company and managers are too focused on personal agenda. This leads to employees being overworked, under-appreciated, and overall a very stressful and toxic environment. Be expected to sweat and complete things at all cost. Don't question safety. There are much better working environments to be had.

Canadian Natural Resources2014-07-11