Canadian Blood Services "good benefits" Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Canadian Blood Services Employee Reviews about "good benefits"

Updated Oct 15, 2019

3.6
Canadian Blood Services CEO Graham D. Sher
Graham D. Sher
Pros
Cons
  • "donors to keep up with the quota(in 10 reviews)

• "Due to the size of the organization, staff are viewed as numbers rather than people and front line staff are seen as dispensable(in 8 reviews)

Reviews about "good benefits"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Supply Chain Logistics"

I worked at Canadian Blood Services full-time

Pros

Good benefits and work-life balance

Cons

Not easy to climb the corporate ladder

Advice to Management

Promote from within.

Canadian Blood Services2019-01-24
  2. "Okay"

I worked at Canadian Blood Services

Pros

Good benefits, pension, fufilling work

Cons

Bureaucracy, little room for growth

Advice to Management

Less focus on profits and more on improving work environment

Canadian Blood Services2018-09-20

"Sucks the life out of you."

I worked at Canadian Blood Services full-time

Pros

Meaningful work, good benefits, learning opportunities

Cons

No advancement, always promoting from external instead of recognizing internal talent, work hours and expectations are unrealistic, no respect.

Advice to Management

Take care of your talent or they will continue to leave...leadership shouldn't just be lip service...you could do so much better.

Canadian Blood Services2017-04-02

"IT"

Current Employee - Systems Analyst

I have been working at Canadian Blood Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits, competitive salary, nice people

Cons

No opportunities for advancement, management is old school

Canadian Blood Services2016-11-14

"Best Job A Phlebotomist Can Have"

Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Saskatoon, SK

I have been working at Canadian Blood Services part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Best coworkers you will ever have. Capable, reliable, team players with outstanding personalities and dedication to the cause. -Fun work environment. "Clean" straight forward job. "Easy" job, although fast paced. Donors are healthy, and wanting to have their blood drawn, unique to this work environment. -No pressure environment, show up, go home, you never take the job with you after you clock out. -Great team,... phlebotomists, RNs, donor services all work together to execute each clinic on target. -Decent wages, good benefits. -Training overall very comprehensive initially, although admittedly not always uniform. -Depending on your background, some opportunity to move up or into a completely different role. -Lots of very bright people within and access to transfusion/transplant research/data as well as training and educational resources.

Cons

-Shift work, which is normal in healthcare. The hours can be great (perfect) for a student or PT worker if you want just a few half shifts a week. However if you are trying to support a family and pay for daycare, aiming for FT hours will require working difficult shifts like 12 hr+ mobile clinics and split shifts or 6 days in a row etc. -Some job security but will never be a M-F guaranteed FT job. This is a... problem. I do think hours could be more standardized similar to what the for profit plasma clinics have done, while still meeting targets, appealing to donors, and staying fiscally responsible. Many donors get paid time off to donate during the day (from our corporate PFL partners) so making clinic hours from 10am-6pm instead of split shifts running into the evening for example might be feasible. -Clinic Managers have replaced Charge Nurses in the clinic. As they are out of scope, they cannot help with needles, faints, or even give bandaids. Or give advice on any other problem in the clinic such as pack allocation and reconciliation discrepancies. -Staff are often last to know any changes. I usually check the CBC app before I come to work. All relevant info is usually released by media relations to the public before us. -This is a great job if you use it to your advantage. They will use you so make it work in your favour. Learn lots, enjoy the experience. -If you're clinic staff you may or may not be respected. Depends on the day/budget/targets/factor X etc. -Dealing with people all day, can be tiring if you're friendly but not a "people person" by nature. -Thinking outside the box may or may not be welcomed. Good advice may not be accepted advice.

Advice to Management

I like Graham Sher. If you can see his vision we are moving in the right direction. We are a Biologics Manufacturer. However open dialogue to prepare frontline staff has improved but is still lacking. I know it isn't feasible but it would be nice to have a "live" or daily blogcast of the CEO each day to let us know of any new operational changes (I.e. Policies) and what is expected of us that day. -Staff are... micromanaged and minimized so they either feel belittled and stay at the job, or they feel insulted and leave. Neither is good. Stop it. -Let Phlebotomists/MLAs use their training and education. We do go to school to do what we do. I once got reprimanded for telling a donor what "hemoglobin" was when they asked. While CBS does not offer medical advice nor is that our role, as it is the role of a physician (MD), to have a phlebotomist not allowed to answer very basic blood donation questions is demeaning, frustrating, and takes away donor confidence if the person putting a needle in them can only say "I don't know". If I'm doing the job, let me do my job. -Try to standardize clinic hours. -Remind staff not everyone can be a blood donor. If you've got poor veins and every 3rd unit is a discard/arm change etc STOP COMING. I really dislike wasting time having to explain to a donor that I'm not going to "try" his vein when it took 3 phlebs last time to adjust his needle just so his unit could end up in the biohazard bin. CBS needs to help educate donors. If you don't have good veins, don't come. We use a 16 gauge and a standard pack. We need healthy, efficient donors with good veins and no vasovagal reactions. Some of my coworkers will keep wasting time with this small subgroup of donors when they really should be telling these donors to recruit others or volunteer for us instead. -Be honest with donors. We need appointments booked so we can appropriately use tax payers money. We need to plan clinics, meet hospital targets, and reduce waste. Hospitals order blood, we need to know what we'll have to deliver to them. What blood types and how many units of each. We want to be fiscally responsible and plan to deliver what patients need when they need it. Let's be straight up with donors and educate the public. -I'm proud of what I do and every single employee of CBS should be as well.

Canadian Blood Services2016-08-05

"Okay but some issues"

Senior Program Manager in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Canadian Blood Services for more than 10 years

Pros

Great advancement opportunities for those that work for them. Some wonderful people. Good benefits. Work environment depends a lot on your direct supervisor. Can be amazing but when you're stuck with a poor supervisor, it can be horrible.

Cons

Lots of internal unrest and regular reorganizations and layoffs. Poor managers are rarely dealt with, despite reports to human resources by multiple staff.

Canadian Blood Services2016-07-27

"Interesting experience..."

I worked at Canadian Blood Services

Pros

Good benefits and competitive salary.

Cons

'Old school' thinking. Org doesn't adequately consult with the front lines. Limited room to grow - position doesn't evolve with you.

Advice to Management

Trust your staff and use them as the valuable resources that they are. Have an interest in further developing your staff... nurture talent when you see it.

Canadian Blood Services2016-05-03

"Phlebotomist"

Former Employee - Phlebotomist

I worked at Canadian Blood Services part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good benefits, if you can get enough hours to keep them, competitative salary, lovely donors.

Cons

Refuse to give long time staff decent working hours. Expect you to be on call every day., but won't commit to regular hours of employment. You are pushed constantly to perform more and more tasks, with less time to complete them, making it unsafe for the donors.

Advice to Management

Replace the CEO, listen to staff requiring clinic issues. CBS is acquiring more money, less humanity, and losing their .credibility

Canadian Blood Services2016-03-09
  9. "Nice place to work"

Systems Analyst in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Canadian Blood Services

Pros

stable business, good benefits, flexible working hours, generous vacation.

Cons

no opportunity to move up.

Canadian Blood Services2015-06-24

"Good people who work to help others in need."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON

I worked at Canadian Blood Services full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good work life balance. Generous holidays and good benefits.

Cons

Not many opportunities for career development. Many groups work in silos.

Advice to Management

People are working for themselves and not with each other.

Canadian Blood Services2014-09-17