Canadian Blood Services Registered Nurse Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Graham D. Sher

"Nurse specialist"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Edmonton, AB

I have been working at Canadian Blood Services part-time

Pros

They are passionate and care about the kind of product they are supplying to the people of Canada, with great attention given to safety and excellence. This has been the first time in my career as a nurse to work for a company, other than a hospital setting. The commitment to their employees with a sense of family and team work has been incredible. The outstanding difference I've found in this job as compared to any... other I've had in the last 30 years, is that the orientation period is VERY thorough and complete; making sure you are comfortable with the job requirements before "going on your own". Great place to work, with also great benefits I made add.

Cons

They are very attentive to detail, and for many who have not worked in an area that follow "Standards of Operations" to the letter, it might take some adjustment. The directives are clear, so at least you know what is expected.

Advice to Management

It helps to always screen people carefully, making sure they are a "team player" and that they display a passion for the type of work we do here at Canadian Blood Services. That, with a level of integrity, will make for a great employee, that will adapt to any job situation, being a great asset to CBS.

Canadian Blood Services2016-04-02

"Registered nurse"

Registered Nurse in Ottawa, ON

I worked at Canadian Blood Services

Pros

I found that CBS provided a Competitive salary and benefit package as per hopital nurses. Meal money and shift premium for travel and evening shifts was a nice supplement to my salary.

Cons

The work conditions on mobile clinics as very challanging. The rooms were either too cold or too hot for staff to be comfortable. We were required to travel out of town and often got home late and had to work early the next morning.

Advice to Management

I wish that management would value the front line workers. The clinics were sometimes very busy and donors were required to wait. This could have been eliminated with more staff. We were always the last people to be informed of changes that would affect us or the clinics,

Canadian Blood Services2016-02-23

"Registered nurse"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Canadian Blood Services full-time

Pros

Awesome dedicated Donors, great co-workers, have schedule 1 month in advance therefore able to schedule your days or evenings when not working, team work, fast pace most of time

Cons

Lots of evening clinics, schedule as far as Friday nights, Saturday's and out of town clinics are not evenly distributed among staff, rarely recognized by management of hard work, front line staff often not informed of coming changes first as we hear it by Donors or media then by management

Advice to Management

Show more appreciation to front line staff like a memo of thanks for hard work, professionalism, great job, provide candies or chocolates

Canadian Blood Services2016-02-06

"Registered Nurse"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Canadian Blood Services part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Nice pace compared to acute care settings in hospitals. Good compensation comparable to hospitals. RNs felt valued for their expertise when hired.

Cons

CBS treat employees as numbers and not as people with families and lives. Management needs training or changing. Poor work-life balance and NO job security. Poor morale. RNs are being replaced by unregulated workers.

Advice to Management

Recognize and acknowledge good staff and mentor them. Recognize poor staff and manage them and their poor behaviours.

Canadian Blood Services2016-01-05