Canadian Blood Services Phlebotomist Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Found 9 reviews

3.1
Canadian Blood Services CEO Graham D. Sher
Graham D. Sher
  1. "Volunteering since May 2014"

Former Employee - Phlebotomist in Edmonton, AB

I worked at Canadian Blood Services part-time for less than a year

Pros

I have medical lab tech and phlebotomist skill and experience. I like to help people. Canadian Blood Services is a non profit organization for help of people who are needy and sick.

Cons

Different type of donors. Carefully handle the blood bags and identification of every donor is the huge challenge. Don't make a mistake in identification and error on the blood bag or on sample can lead to the death of a patient.

Advice to Management

We should keep work and personal life separate. Take care of your responsibilities at home and at work. Hard work, honesty, reliability, punctuality, confidentiality.

Canadian Blood Services2014-10-28
  2. "Phlebotomist"

Former Employee - Phlebotomist in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Canadian Blood Services full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I like the Canadian environment to work

Cons

I had a working experience over

Advice to Management

I can be suitable for the position

Canadian Blood Services2017-11-07

"Best Job A Phlebotomist Can Have"

Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Saskatoon, SK

I have been working at Canadian Blood Services part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Best coworkers you will ever have. Capable, reliable, team players with outstanding personalities and dedication to the cause. -Fun work environment. "Clean" straight forward job. "Easy" job, although fast paced. Donors are healthy, and wanting to have their blood drawn, unique to this work environment. -No pressure environment, show up, go home, you never take the job with you after you clock out. -Great team,... phlebotomists, RNs, donor services all work together to execute each clinic on target. -Decent wages, good benefits. -Training overall very comprehensive initially, although admittedly not always uniform. -Depending on your background, some opportunity to move up or into a completely different role. -Lots of very bright people within and access to transfusion/transplant research/data as well as training and educational resources.

Cons

-Shift work, which is normal in healthcare. The hours can be great (perfect) for a student or PT worker if you want just a few half shifts a week. However if you are trying to support a family and pay for daycare, aiming for FT hours will require working difficult shifts like 12 hr+ mobile clinics and split shifts or 6 days in a row etc. -Some job security but will never be a M-F guaranteed FT job. This is a... problem. I do think hours could be more standardized similar to what the for profit plasma clinics have done, while still meeting targets, appealing to donors, and staying fiscally responsible. Many donors get paid time off to donate during the day (from our corporate PFL partners) so making clinic hours from 10am-6pm instead of split shifts running into the evening for example might be feasible. -Clinic Managers have replaced Charge Nurses in the clinic. As they are out of scope, they cannot help with needles, faints, or even give bandaids. Or give advice on any other problem in the clinic such as pack allocation and reconciliation discrepancies. -Staff are often last to know any changes. I usually check the CBC app before I come to work. All relevant info is usually released by media relations to the public before us. -This is a great job if you use it to your advantage. They will use you so make it work in your favour. Learn lots, enjoy the experience. -If you're clinic staff you may or may not be respected. Depends on the day/budget/targets/factor X etc. -Dealing with people all day, can be tiring if you're friendly but not a "people person" by nature. -Thinking outside the box may or may not be welcomed. Good advice may not be accepted advice.

Advice to Management

I like Graham Sher. If you can see his vision we are moving in the right direction. We are a Biologics Manufacturer. However open dialogue to prepare frontline staff has improved but is still lacking. I know it isn't feasible but it would be nice to have a "live" or daily blogcast of the CEO each day to let us know of any new operational changes (I.e. Policies) and what is expected of us that day. -Staff are... micromanaged and minimized so they either feel belittled and stay at the job, or they feel insulted and leave. Neither is good. Stop it. -Let Phlebotomists/MLAs use their training and education. We do go to school to do what we do. I once got reprimanded for telling a donor what "hemoglobin" was when they asked. While CBS does not offer medical advice nor is that our role, as it is the role of a physician (MD), to have a phlebotomist not allowed to answer very basic blood donation questions is demeaning, frustrating, and takes away donor confidence if the person putting a needle in them can only say "I don't know". If I'm doing the job, let me do my job. -Try to standardize clinic hours. -Remind staff not everyone can be a blood donor. If you've got poor veins and every 3rd unit is a discard/arm change etc STOP COMING. I really dislike wasting time having to explain to a donor that I'm not going to "try" his vein when it took 3 phlebs last time to adjust his needle just so his unit could end up in the biohazard bin. CBS needs to help educate donors. If you don't have good veins, don't come. We use a 16 gauge and a standard pack. We need healthy, efficient donors with good veins and no vasovagal reactions. Some of my coworkers will keep wasting time with this small subgroup of donors when they really should be telling these donors to recruit others or volunteer for us instead. -Be honest with donors. We need appointments booked so we can appropriately use tax payers money. We need to plan clinics, meet hospital targets, and reduce waste. Hospitals order blood, we need to know what we'll have to deliver to them. What blood types and how many units of each. We want to be fiscally responsible and plan to deliver what patients need when they need it. Let's be straight up with donors and educate the public. -I'm proud of what I do and every single employee of CBS should be as well.

Canadian Blood Services2016-08-05

Former Employee - Phlebotomist

I worked at Canadian Blood Services part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good benefits, if you can get enough hours to keep them, competitative salary, lovely donors.

Cons

Refuse to give long time staff decent working hours. Expect you to be on call every day., but won't commit to regular hours of employment. You are pushed constantly to perform more and more tasks, with less time to complete them, making it unsafe for the donors.

Advice to Management

Replace the CEO, listen to staff requiring clinic issues. CBS is acquiring more money, less humanity, and losing their .credibility

Canadian Blood Services2016-03-09

Phlebotomist in Halifax, NS

I worked at Canadian Blood Services

Pros

the best reasons where the donors, they made the job so rewarding and fun it was looking forward to seeing them. They made the job rewarding.

Cons

The cons were what the higher up managment expected of us. It is to much to expect of any employe!! We do everything we can and try to make a bad situation good (created by upper management ) and make the best of it.

Advice to Management

Take a good long hard look at your front line employees and what they endure every day with the line ups and the waits that we have to deal with and make the best of every situation with the donors and turn it into a positive experience for every one. Our donors are the best!!!!!

Canadian Blood Services2016-02-21

Phlebotomist in St. John's, NL

I have been working at Canadian Blood Services

Pros

Great co-workers. The only way you can get through your day.

Cons

Total lack of decency and respect and communication for employees in every way! Very Poor poor management. Terrible!

Advice to Management

I have no words.

Canadian Blood Services2015-10-02

"Phlebotomist Review"

Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Canadian Blood Services part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great staff to work with! Donors are so nice and happy to be there

Cons

hours cut every year.. Be prepared to work less and less each year.

Advice to Management

Go spend a week in a clinic observing what front line staff do and put up with each day.

Canadian Blood Services2015-05-07

Phlebotomist in Moncton, NB

I worked at Canadian Blood Services for more than 3 years

Pros

Loved my co-worker, and the work environment in the clinic. Getting to know the donors was the best part of the job. And having them becoming part of a vital need for our community.

Cons

Not enough hours, working 4 hours per shift was completely outrageous. Also the inconsistency of the schedule and lack of flexibility.

Advice to Management

To be more flexible, and stop money pinching. People do not want to work 4 hours per shift and then need to be committed to you not having the chance to get a second job because of the inconsistency of the schedule. Work better at the schedule to make it more "regular".

Canadian Blood Services2015-02-18

"Loved working with the donors, and phlebotomists, but not management. They don't seem to care about their staff."

Former Employee - Phlebotomist

I worked at Canadian Blood Services part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Donors make you feel fulfilled and when they tell you their reasons for donating, it leaves you feeling like you are doing something that makes a real difference.

Cons

No work life balance, management micro manages. Seldom see main supervisor, who works from an office in a different province. No consistency, rules seem to change daily. New staff don't always get the time for proper training,and there is a LOT of training. Short staffed most of the time, no replacement staff, to call in. Everyone is part time, no full time jobs.

Advice to Management

Show more compassion to staff, think less about the dollar and more about the people involved. Look into why there is such a large staff overturn. Show appreciation, for the long hours and very hard work staff do, instead of focusing on how to cut corners to save money. You spend a lot of time and money on training new staff, and then after a few months they leave, ask yourselves why this is happening. It is a very... hard work atmosphere in the front line work areas, ( phlebotomists, lab, drivers)

Canadian Blood Services2014-09-11