Canada Drives "working at canada" Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Canada Drives Employee Reviews about "working at canada"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Canada Drives"

Current Employee - Team Manager in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Team Manager in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Canada Drives full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I started working at Canada Drives in February 2018 after immigrating to Canada from Ireland. The company offered a warm welcome, and made my adjustment a comfortable and positive experience.
    I worked in the Personal Loans department originally, and was offered a Management position after 6 months.
    It is a very motivational environment, with constant encouragement from Managers and peers to advance within the company. My leadership skills have grown immensely and I am grateful for the opportunity to work in such a friendly work space.
    I have, and will continue to refer friends to work at Canada Drives.

Cons

I have no negative feedback about my life at Canada Drives.

Canada Drives Response

21 Aug, 2018 – Human Resources Manager

It’s great to hear you’ve settled in so well! We have numerous staff who have come from overseas and found their niche with Canada Drives. Your example shows others in your team and the company that... More

"Best company to work for in Vancouver"

I have been working at Canada Drives full-time

Pros

I have worked at Canada Drives for 3 years and I have been given the opportunity for growth and success since day 1. The growth in this company over the last 3 years has been tremendous. Management truly believes in staff that work hard, and those that work hard are always rewarded. It starts from the top, the CEO Mike Galpin has given me all the tools I need to succeed in this company, he fully supports everyone, takes time to listen to ideas from staff, and always goes out of his way to do cool stuff outside of work with everyone, the best boss for sure. The overall high energy work environment, great downtown location, make it a great place to come to work everyday. Perks like a fully stocked kitchen and free transit passes are always good as well :) Overall wouldnt want to work anywhere else. I can honestly say you truly have a shot at being successful working at Canada Drives.

Cons

Gets hot after 6PM
    More workstations could be useful
    More variety in the kitchen would be great.

Advice to Management

Keep doing your thing!!

Canada Drives Response

11 Jun, 2018 – HR

We appreciate you taking the time to speak about your experiences working at Canada Drives. We love hearing feedback from people who have really seen their career grow and continue to grow at our... More

"The best job I have had!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Canada Drives full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is full of talented and motivated individuals that want to see you succeed!
    Everyone is so welcoming and eager to help you reach your full potential no matter what your education or experience may be.
    When you prove you can do a good job management puts a lot of trust in you, which is a nice change!
     Ideas are always welcomed and good ones are given recognition.
     If you work very hard and excel at what you do you are compensated very well!
    My favorite thing about working at Canada Drives though, is the people! The friendships I have made here are amazing! Everyone is open and inviting so it is easy to have fun with your coworkers!

Cons

The hours can be long sometimes, but it 100% worth the time!

Advice to Management

Continue to show your teams that you care and stay approachable! Keep up the good work!

"Life at Canada Drives"

I have been working at Canada Drives full-time

Pros

Working at Canada Drives has been and is one of the best moments in my life. I got to learn a lot of skills and assets that I'll be able to take with me as I grow, as well as I've made some of the greatest friendships here, too. Much like any other office setting, the difference with Canada Drives is that it's fun. You don't feel like you're coming to work, and finding a career you dislike is something no one should do but I love what I do, and I love the people I do it with. You're only as good as your mindset and I'm grateful I'm surrounded by people with the same goal.

Cons

Although Canada Drives is great, the only con I'd have to say is having long hours and not being able to do certain tasks outside of work. That is something you can definitely work around, unless your chores require you to be somewhere in the middle of the day, thus the long hours would get in the way. Of course our managers will definitely try and accommodate. Nonetheless, it is not something that isn't fixable.

Advice to Management

My advice for management is that the better you are, the more our employees want to stand by you. No one stays for a company, they stay because they love the people and I'm thankful that I love both.

"An awesome place to work, but still room for improvement"

Current Employee - Senior Level IT Employee in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Senior Level IT Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Canada Drives full-time (More than a year)

Pros

What do I like about working at Canada Drives? First and foremost, I'd have to say the people that I directly work with in the development and IT space. The head of IT is extremely easy to talk to, and approachable, which to me, means that if/when any issues arise, it's easy to just go an have a casual chat with him about it without worrying about being shot down or anything like that.

The actual team itself is, for the most part, filled with extremely capable and talented people, who are also easy to chat with and easy to get along with. The work environment is quite casual--jeans and t-shirts are fine, which works out well for me.

The work, at least in my space, is always in a state of flux, which means that I'm not getting bored. As the company grows (which it has by roughly 200 people since I've started), new challenges arise, and management is generally pretty good about giving me the freedom to tackle those challenges without too much interference.

From an IT perspective, I think it's extremely important to highlight the office is split between two floors. Yes, there are 300+ people working here. No, there are not sales people on the phone all day in your ear if you're in IT or development. There was a transition period where that was the case, and my review would be singing a very different tune if that was still the case. The floor with the IT staff is much quieter, and a much more suitable environment for development.

Cons

Working hours are long, and inflexible. You're expected (and required) to work from 8am - 5pm, which means that over the course of a year you're putting in roughly an extra month worth of work than you would working elsewhere, and being IT, this overtime is worked into your salary and not required to be calculated in addition to your salary.

Management is quite strict about working in the office, so telecommuting is a no-go zone, which is unfortunate considering that aside from meetings *all* of my work could be completed from anywhere.

Desks are really small for what we do in IT. People have two monitors. People need to have room to be able to write notes, or to also have drawers to place personal items. A small 4 foot by 2 foot desk feels super claustrophobic when a foot is taken up by drawers, and there are two monitors on a desk.

There are frequent shout-outs and congratulating for people being promoted upstairs in sales/CSR roles, but accomplishments of people inside of IT are swept under the rug and seldom acknowledged, let alone company-wide. I can't think of a single occurrence of anyone in IT being congratulated for being promoted, or completing an absolutely gargantuan task like completely redoing the entire company network without any downtime or loss of productivity on the sales floor.

Advice to Management

I love working here. I really do. If there were two things that would sway me to work for another company, it would be telecommuting, and flexible hours.

If I'm feeling a bit under the weather, to me, given I can do all of my work from home, it would make sense to stay home and work from home rather than to come into the office and get other people sick.

If I'm done my assigned tasks, I'm just sitting at my desk. Yes, I can (and do) use this time to learn more about my field, but it would be infinitely more rewarding to be able to do this from the freedom of my own home, free of other distractions.

If I'm burnt out, I'm just sitting at my desk. Yes, I'm still doing what's getting assigned to me, but I'm feeling worse and worse about it. Even something as simple as mixing it up and working from home a couple of days a week as a different environment could be enough to pull someone out from a slump. A happy worker is a productive worker.

I understand there are risks associated with worrying whether people are actually working from home, but when all of our tasks are tracked inside of Jira, accountability is there, and it's pretty easy to see who's actually working and who's not.

"Sales Representative"

I have been working at Canada Drives full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love working at Canada Drives! I’ve been with the company for nearly a year and it has been an awesome experience so far. I am surrounded by a super friendly and supportive team. The team leads and programs managers are always there when I need support and are always willing to provide feedback on how I am doing. I think it’s that feedback that has helped me improve as an employee and moved up in the company. There has been so many changes since I first started here and its crazy to see how much growth one company can experience in such a small time frame. If you’re looking for a fast growing company where you can work your way up in, Canada Drives is definitely the spot!

Cons

Sometimes its hard to keep up with all the changes and it can feel a little overwhelming but it's understandable since the company is growing rapidly.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

"Great opportunities here!"

Current Employee - Accounting Clerk in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Accounting Clerk in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Canada Drives full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I’ve been working at Canada Drives for almost an year and I tell you this… there’s a lot of opportunities here. If you work hard and wants to grow in your career, here’s the place.
    I will tell you my story. I started here in sales, and to be honest, I wasn’t very good, but they trusted in my skills (because I always worked very hard and tried my best) and now I’m in Finance. I already been recognized and rewarded in my new job role and I’m very happy where I am.

*After 3 months, they reimburse 100% of your transit, pay for your MSP and give you benefits. (I had an emergency and I had to go to the dentist and if I didn’t have my benefit I was going to spend $1,800 but they covered 80% and it helped me a lot.)

Anywhere you work, there’ll be positive and negatives things, but here is the best company I have ever worked by far.

Cons

Same food almost everyday – at least it helps and we don’t have to bring our own food everyday, plus it’s free. And there’s soup once a week.

"Great work environment!"

I have been working at Canada Drives full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really enjoy working at Canada Drives, everyone here works as a team and though the office is always growing, it's like we're all a family. Mike and Cody are on the floor with us daily, putting in the hours and effort to grow the company and make it a positive place to work - not something you see everyday from the CEO's of a growing business. They also do trivia on the last Friday of every month with us with cash prizes, which is a time where you get the opportunity to interact with people outside of your own department. We have breakfast and lunch provided, and our transit passes covered, which saves us a lot of money. On top of the good pay, we get a great benefits package. But the best part about Canada Drives is the friendships I've made. Canad Drives is all around an awesome place to work!

Cons

Wish we could open the windows, and have more office get-together's.

Advice to Management

Keep an open communication with managers and team leads so everyone is working as a team and on the same page at all times. Keep up the good work!

"Life at Canada Drives"

I have been working at Canada Drives full-time

Pros

Working at Canada Drives has been a great experience thus far. It is a first class company in all aspects of how they operate. Right down from the management to the staff, everybody is very friendly and awesome here, as well as very supportive in this very positive work environment. They provide you with fantastic training, and really help you develop the pertinent skills to be very successful and make a lot of money. They even have a kitchen and their own cook, so you'll never go hungry! If you're looking for company growth, financial growth, and even personal growth then this is a great place to work. Love it!

Cons

Nothing really comes to mind. Company is growing very rapidly, and new campaigns and programs are being introduced, so some work hurdles are something to expect, but that's to be expected with any newer company that's growing. Without struggle, there is no progress right.

Advice to Management

Let's start doing more team nights, that would be awesome.

"Fantastic Start-Up Environment"

I have been working at Canada Drives full-time

Pros

Working at Canada Drives has never been a walk in the park (lets get that out of the way). It has been a challenge of epic proportions! Why is this in the "Pro's" section, because I didn't want a walk in the park. I wanted the opportunity to grow and morph, challenge myself and learn along with one of the fastest growing companies in Western Canada. Canada Drives has never shied away from constant innovation which is one of reasons why I have been so happy here. "Punching a clock", or "just doing it for the money" has never been my style and its not Canada Drives either.

Cons

Sometimes the sun glints off the gorgeous Vancouver landscape and blinds me? Pizza and subway lunches for 2 weeks straight? Sometimes it gets a little rowdy on Fridays after 4pm.

Advice to Management

Having one coffee pot with really strong coffee, and one pot with relatively weaker coffee would be great. Otherwise, keep up the good work.