Canada Drives "free food" Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Canada Drives Employee Reviews about "free food"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Evil Company - DO NOT WORK HERE"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Canada Drives full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work is mind numbingly easy and there's free food (but the pay is low so I'm not sure how else you can afford to feed yourself while working there in an entry level position).

Cons

This company exists to prey on poor people with bad credit, especially those who are not tech savvy. The only people who last there either are too blind to understand this or have no compassion for their fellow human beings. Hence, the staff is made up of all of the worst people you went to high school with: ignorant, obnoxious, misogynist, racist, homophobic, two-faced, immature.

In the 3 months I was there the turnover in my department was maybe 50%, and a lot of folks who left did so because of management and HR's utter failure to deal with toxic, racist, Islamophobic and sexist drama.

The worst for me personally was speaking to loan applicants, who are often justifiably angry. Let me tell you, few things have made me more disgusted in my life than talking to poor rural Canadians sign up for loans they don't understand and cannot pay off (due to the nearly 50% interest rate).

Advice to Management

The entire management strategy relies on bribing workers to do their work. I found this infantalising and very demotivating as I do not need a carrot at the end of a stick in order to complete basic tasks at my job. My advice to managers and anyone who works there is to get out of there while you still have a soul.

"Amazing Company!"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Canada Drives full-time (More than a year)

Pros

it's the people who really make this company stand out! great people, easy to get a long with that it hardly felt like work sometimes
    free food up in the 6th floor
    the CEO by the name of Cody, what a an easy guy to talk to, very down to earth and very approachable
    monthly lunches with the team
    flexible hours
    beside the Burrard Skytrain Station so very convenient plus transport allowance
    seems to be a very successful company growing by the month, about 400 people I think

Cons

sometimes you could have long hours
    2-3 people doing the job of one
    project managers would push too many things at once
    office space could improve

Advice to Management

slowing down would give people time to deliver better results

"not worth it"

I worked at Canada Drives full-time

Pros

free food and transit and office music

Cons

there are too many to place in this small of a space.
    verbal abuse from managers is more frequent than the customers you interact with
    the list of tasks grows and changes weekly
    those in charge are extremely greedy and are constantly demanding more without pay raises
    inconsistent management and office environment
    its hourly pay but stops after 8hs
    you a required to stay unpaid if they are not happy with your performance for the day
    EXTREME turn over rates

Advice to Management

stop being bullies learn to relax

"Sales Representative - Personal Loans"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Canada Drives full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing people, young atmosphere, life-long friendships. The ability to double or triple your salary within the first 3-6 months. Free food, paid transit and young management.

Cons

If you are not used to working hard then you will find the hours to be long. But one thing to keep in mind is you can double or triple your salary within your first year at this company as long as you are willing to do what others will not. This is sales, this means you have to do whatever it takes to hit your numbers even if that means putting in some extra hours.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

"Sales Rep"

Pros

Free Food, but just typical sandwiches

Cons

They teach you the bases of how to scam desperate Canadians who already has little to offer. If you work here, be prepared to throw your human morals away.
    (Beware to other reviews here, or other websites on this company. They pay for good reviews and also ask employees to do it for them. Either way if you wan't to experience it for yourself go right ahead.)

Advice to Management

Karma's swings right around all the innocent people you guys stole from, and harass with calls and poor business ethics, will come bite you back.

"Poorly run management that only care about themselves"

I worked at Canada Drives full-time

Pros

- Free food
    - Transit compensation
    - Full medical and dental benefits after three months

Cons

- Poor management
    - Lack of proper training
    - Forced to speak from a script which gets pretty redundant real quick
    - Discourages innovative thinking

Advice to Management

You need to hire managers with actual experience and not a bunch of late 20s people who are cocky and think they're on top of the world. You need to hire managers who can actually take feedback for the better of the business and not take it as some kind of threat or insubordination to their position.

Your sales department is also a joke. Brainwashing a bunch of teenagers into scamming poor people with a fixed 46.96% interest rate? That's even worse than most banks! Absolutely disgusting. They also do not disclose the approved interest rate until the applicant has already gotten their credit checked. Ouch. You're robbing people with no money of money they don't have. How do you live with yourself?

"Canada Drives"

Current Employee - Accounting Clerk
    Current Employee - Accounting Clerk

I have been working at Canada Drives full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-I have worked at Canada Drives for over two years. The company have been growing at an incredible pace and have become an amazing place to work.

- Upper management truly cares about the staff and are always looking for ways to improve.

-Lots of opportunities and room for growth! I was hired as a junior sales staff and worked my way up on the sales team before I was given the opportunity to work for the Accounting department.

-Great Benefits, Full Transit Reimbursements and Free Food.

Cons

I can't think of one.

Canada Drives Response

3 Dec, 2018 – Human Resources Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to speak about your experience with working at Canada Drives. One of the biggest benefits of working here is the ability to be promoted internally and move around to... More

"Brilliant Working Environment, But At A Price"

I worked at Canada Drives full-time

Pros

1) The young workforce would definitely be the company's strongest asset. Everyone has great fun and nobody takes themselves too seriously.

2) The free food helped me to save money, which was great.

3) The training period was very interesting and taught me a lot of valuable information in regard to credit scores, personal finance, etc.

Cons

1) From the get-go, I felt as if I was being initiated into some sort of weird, money worshipping cult, whereby the people of Canada were just pawns on a chess board, standing as the only obstacle between a 6 figure salary and I. However, I happen to be a very clued-in individual, and could see through all of the smoke and mirrors. While there is obviously a market for Canada Drives and they are a very profitable company, I'm also a very compassionate person. I found it impossible to see past the fact that I was playing a part in getting Canadians with terrible credit scores approved for large amounts of money, knowing that they were only digging themselves deeper and deeper into debt.

2) The manner in which they speak of people they're getting approved for loans is extremely derogatory. While I believe that the team managers were good people once, they have lost sight of what life's truly about. Your standard of life may improve as a result of having more disposable income, however your life, morals and the manner in which you treat others shouldn't depend on how many 0's there are in your bank balance.

3) The team managers refer to basic manners and respect for people as "passive language" and employees are told quite regularly to be as forceful as possible to customers when trying to sell their products. I found this behaviour quite shocking, as in the previous offices that I have worked in, this would be a major issue.

4) The company churn through employees like you wouldn't believe. Of the 14 people that started when I did, there were only 2 people left after 2 weeks. This should be the perfect indicator as to what's really going on in this company.

Advice to Management

The managers are very good at their jobs, however I feel as if maybe they should take a step back at some stage and evaluate what they're facilitating in the office. They should think about the impact that their actions have had, and will have, on the Canadians that they convince to take out loans at almost 50% interest. Morals are worth more than money, and if you feel as if your moral compass is pointing straight to the wallet in your pocket, make a change for the better. It's not you that's flawed, it's the company's business model.

"Sales"

I worked at Canada Drives full-time

Pros

Free food
    Nice people
    Close to transit
    Easy to earn higher pay, you just have to work hard
    Management has a clear vision, everyone is on the same page.
    CEO works 6 days a week, all management works hard, they all lead by example. There is a sense of unity.

Cons

Very competitive environment
    Your experience may very depending on department and manager.
    It was my favorite job working in 1 department mostly due to management and it turned into my least favorite job working in another.

Advice to Management

Keep it up

"Favorite Job I've had"

Current Employee - Sales Administrator in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Sales Administrator in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Canada Drives full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Everyone in this company is super friendly and makes the working environment very fun and enjoyable.
    -Free Food in the kitchen
    -Great Health Benefits
    - Holiday Contests to win prizes
    -Get compensated for compass cards
    -Great place to learn a lot of different skills

Cons

-Transportation is a little far
    -Longer hours if you work in sales
    -The job can be very repetitive