CWB Financial Group Reviews

Found 227 of over 263 reviews

3.8
CWB Financial Group President and CEO Chris Fowler
Chris Fowler
Pros
  • "Not as busy as the other big 5s, decent work-life balance(in 27 reviews)

• "Friendly people, good benefits and insurance(in 27 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Improve on the compensation, although CWB is one of the top 5 FI in terms of remuneration(in 7 reviews)

• "Lack of diversity and very racist work environment(in 6 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of CWB Financial Group and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Best employer in banking and finance

Aug 9, 2022 - Personal Account Manager in Edmonton, AB
      Business Outlook

Pros

Employee care and management, Work life balance

Cons

I wish I worked her from the start of my career

CWB Financial Group Response

Thanks for the review - we appreciate it!

2. 5.0

Amazing Organization to work with

Jun 29, 2022 - Commercial Banking Associate in Kelowna, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Inclusive and dedicated to the success and happiness of their employees.

Cons

Haven't experienced any as of time of review.

CWB Financial Group Response

Thanks for the review — we appreciate the feedback!

3. 5.0

Awesome

Jun 26, 2022 - Product Owner
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to work anytime

Cons

Not sure about that really

Thanks for the review!

4. 2.0

1980s Dysfunctional

Jul 1, 2022 - Business Analyst in Edmonton, AB
      Business Outlook

Pros

- “people first culture”, this is just a guise. Under the hood it’s completely different. - Cash compensation in the middle of the road. - Benefits are ok - if you don’t want to work hard, this is the place for you

Cons

- Disconnected executive team. Some of the executive team is not connected to the realities on the ground . This has led to poor strategic decision-making when it comes to the programs their investing in. - Poor leadership. A few specific executives (and managers) have extremely poor leadership skills and allow bullying to happen within the organization. I believe the CEO is aware on some level, but nothing has been done so far. This contributes to poor morale, a disingenuous commitment to the cause and people not wanting to speak up for fear of being undermined. Unfortunately, this culture will persist until the causes/people are removed. - Low performance environment. CWB is not an environment for people with new approaches acquired from other organizations. This is not an 'opportunity for change'. Do not be fooled. New approaches do not land well at CWB due to entrenched thinking and a culture of resistance. High performers from other companies will quickly find themselves frustrated and demoralized. The company desperately wants high performers (can’t retain them), but does not know how to create an environment that fosters high performance. Overall, CWB is a mix of wavering and uncommitted strategies that won’t bold we for their future as challenger banks are gaining steam and their costs are rising faster then their profits.

CWB Financial Group Response

Thank you for taking the time to share this feedback. We take these concerns very seriously — the behaviours and attitudes you are describing do not align with our culture or values. Our People & Culture team would welcome a conversation with you so that we can work to address these issues. Our aim is to continue getting better as an employer of choice — we rely on feedback like this so we can take steps to ensure all of our employees have the support they need and can thrive in their roles.

5. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Meh

Jul 21, 2022 - Manager Sales and Service in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits were amazing, but it was hard toove as it's all about who your parents are in relation to the board of directors or exec management

Cons

Salary Kept selling lines of business The CEO seems like he played a little too much rugby

6. 5.0

Awesome Place to Work

Jun 10, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB
      Business Outlook

Pros

Promotes work life balance, great company culture, opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Often meets but rarely exceeds market salaries.

CWB Financial Group Response

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review! We appreciate the feedback.

7. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Bullying is alive and well at CWB

Jul 14, 2022 - Senior Project Manager in Edmonton, AB
      Business Outlook

Pros

Compensation for new joiners. Good benefits compared to some other places. Remote working is an option for some of your managers like you.

Cons

- Bullying at the senior level is rife throughout the entire organization, and reporting it anonymously, through the confidential line, or HR will only get you fired. - Some previous comments have pointed out that CWB is reluctant to change. This is 100% true; the leaders talk the talk but do not walk the walk. - Absolute TOXIC leadership, it's only them protecting their own, and that's it. Suppose you're not aligned with any of the leaders; no matter what, you'll be let go. Please don't risk it! - Bad decision after wrong decision at the leadership level. Initiatives are executed without any actual planning or deep thinking by the leadership. - Nepotism is so entrenched in this organization that it's now taken over. Leaders with partners connected to the CEO, brother in law who is a senior VP. The conflict of interest is appalling.

CWB Financial Group Response

We appreciate you sharing your perspective of CWB based on your employee experience and are disheartened to hear it’s not been positive. Most importantly, we welcome the opportunity to address some of your concerns. Our Code of Conduct is not just a set of rules that we follow. It’s a commitment that we make to our employees, clients, shareholders, and communities to conduct our business ethically, responsibly, legally and in a way that is consistent with our values. By proactively living our values every day, we each contribute to an organization where we are all proud to work, where clients want to do business, and where shareholders are confident to invest. Our Code of Conduct outlines our ethical standards based on the values we strive to live by in our corporate culture. To honour this commitment, we have implemented a structure of governance to ensure that the standards of this Code are promoted and enforced. CWB’s Ethics Committee is responsible for the oversight of the CWB Financial Group Ethics Program. The Ethics Committee is composed of the Chief People & Culture Officer, the Executive Vice President of Banking, the Senior Vice President, General Counsel & Corporate Secretary, the Chief Ethics Officer, and the Associate General Counsel (People and Risk). A summary report of all ethics complaints and investigations of which the Chief Ethics Officer is aware will be reported to the Ethics Committee and the Governance and Conduct Review Committee of the Board on a quarterly basis. The Code outlines in detail our requirement of employees and leaders to promote a respectful workplace, and support an environment of inclusion free from discrimination, harassment, bullying and disrespectful conduct. It also outlines our zero tolerance for retaliation, and the detailed protection that is in place for any employee who raises an ethics concern or reporting violation. All concerns brought forward through any one of the available channels are reviewed, investigated, and actioned. Conflicts of interest are no exception. As part of our Code of Conduct, employees are required to disclose any potential, perceived or actual conflict(s) of interest upon becoming an employee, you must disclose any potential, perceived or actual conflict(s) of interest. In addition, employees are required to proactively disclose any new potential conflict(s) of interest or outside activity as soon as it arises, or any changes to the nature of any interest or activity previously disclosed. All conflict(s) of interest or outside activities are disclosed in written format in full details and submitted to our Compliance and Investigations Group. Your disclosure will then be reviewed by the Chief Ethics Officer and the individual(s) with approval authority, to determine whether a conflict of interest is likely to result and the appropriate action to take, including whether to grant or deny approval. If you hold a position of Executive Vice President or higher, the potential conflict(s) of interest will be handled by the Chair of the Governance and Conduct Review Committee of CWB’s Board of Directors. There are always opportunities to improve, but we have confidence in our employees and leaders to live our values and we trust the programs and governance structure we have built to sustain the culture we continue to strive for.

8. 2.0

Great Place to Work

Jun 23, 2022 - Senior Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great Culture and everyone cares on the peripheral though.

Cons

The salary is not good and the organization is still maturing...

1 person found this review helpful

CWB Financial Group Response

Thanks for the review, we appreciate the feedback! We should mention as well that CWB recently announced a base salary adjustment of 3% positively impacting 75% of our roles below senior leadership level. This was done in an effort to remain competitive with changing market conditions. Our ongoing commitment is to continue to find ways to invest in our employees, ensuring total compensation is competitive and motivating, and supportive of their health.

9. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Great place for pretenders. Where the D students rule the world.

Jul 4, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits are great. Generally speaking, you can be so bad and so incompetent but if you have the skills to brown nose (and being female and/or minority), you should thrive here. Great country club feel for those who just want to accomplish nothing but collect a good pay. Fit in; don't try to change anything and you will do well.

Cons

The place where good people leave or end up doing the most work because most of your bosses are just plain bad (no people skills and/or requisite knowledge/skill set to run a team). Real top performers are grudgingly recognized (if any). Being a commercial bank first, retail bankers are always discriminated against. So many AVPs who accomplish nothing (e.g they can be on a project for 4 years that should only take 3 months) but gets away with it as their bosses don't know any better.

Continue reading

CWB Financial Group Response

Thanks for providing this review and sharing your concerns. We take the behaviours you are describing very seriously. It's important that we clarify that we are an equitable employer — this means we provide opportunity to everyone to break down barriers that some groups face regularly. We believe we are a stronger and better workplace through diversity and inclusion. All employees have access to support and can escalate any issues they're facing with their manager, within the People & Culture team or anonymously through our 3rd party Ethics Hotline or Online portal as needed. We work to create an organization where people feel safe, heard and can be proud of who they are with allies around them.

10. 3.0

Good working environment

Jun 11, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Nice managers - Acceptable salary package

Cons

- Small. Not many opportunities for development

CWB Financial Group Response

Thanks for the feedback. We appreciate it!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 227 Reviews

CWB Financial Group Reviews FAQs

CWB Financial Group has an overall rating of 3.8 out of 5, based on over 263 reviews left anonymously by employees. 78% of employees would recommend working at CWB Financial Group to a friend and 62% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -5% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, CWB Financial Group employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.5 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at CWB Financial Group. This rating has decreased by -7% over the last 12 months.

78% of CWB Financial Group employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated CWB Financial Group 3.9 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.1 for culture and values and 3.6 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at CWB Financial Group to be coworkers, culture, benefits and the cons to be senior leadership, management, career development.

Popular Careers with CWB Financial Group Job Seekers