CPCS Reviews

Updated Nov 4, 2021

Found 42 of over 43 reviews

4.6
CPCS Managing Partners Marc-Andre Roy and Jean-Francois Arsenault (no image)
Marc-Andre Roy and Jean-Francois Arsenault

The latest conversations about Consulting

Join the conversation on

Consulting

1y

works at

Deloitte

Harshest feedback you’ve ever received?

7,062

606 Comments

Consulting

258.2K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/consulting/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.ca&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=CPCS~594733
Join the conversation on
  1. 4.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Boutique Consulting Firm

Jun 29, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good people. Smart. Small company; evolving culture. Friendly people and interesting work. Opportunities to grow and add value.

Cons

Small and growing. Not fully standardised. Internal processes in development.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Company positioned for strong growth

Apr 9, 2020 - Principal in Ottawa, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

- smart and dynamic staff - global footprint, especially Africa - company is growing in many markets - strong leadership

Cons

- at times difficult clients and assignments - work life balance

Be the first to find this review helpful
  3. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good place to work, but not for everyone.

Apr 8, 2020 - Consultant
    Business Outlook

Pros

Background: I've done consulting work at CPCS for a number of years in a geographical division, not a global unit. This review largely reflects my experience doing client-facing consulting work, so may not be applicable to consulting staff that do not regularly engage with clients or corporate staff. 1) If you demonstrate competence, an ability to work in your divisional team and the ability to hit the deadlines, you'll be rewarded and given trust. At least in my team. Other teams seem more dysfunctional, but I don't have great insight into them, and this largely seems to be a function of the manager/staff dynamic. 2) Once you've achieved that level of trust, you manage projects from business development to project close. This provides fairly young people with excellent experience, especially if you aspire for more managerial roles. If you do not have that motivation, that trust and seniority can be translated into higher degrees of autonomy and the ability to choose interesting projects. 3) Generally, the administration and corporate processes are functional, if at times onerous and not particularly user friendly. However, the processes do work. 4) If you're the type of person who enjoys accomplishing things, working on diverse problems, and not doing rote white collar work, CPCS is probably more interesting than larger engineering, management and business consulting firms. However, any job has a degree of tedious work, and CPCS is no exception. 5) People I've interacted with are generally reasonable and supportive. Like any workplace, you'll get along really well with some of them, and others not so much. 6) If someone's around after a year or two, you can typically trust that they're competent at their job. 7) There are no strict rules about where, when and how you do your work.

Cons

1) Processes are not designed to be user friendly for the consulting staff that have to use them, but they work. Admin tasks that you would assume take a few minutes can take up to an hour if you're not 100% familiar with it. You get better at it over time, but it was particularly frustrating when I was a new employee. There seems to be a focus on training people to adhere to convoluted processes, rather than making the process easier. 2) At times the work-life balance an be bad. When you're newer you typically have less control over projects, and are handed work with predetermined timelines. There are strong incentives for the person managing the consulting project to keep costs down and adhere to timelines, so you can be given difficult tasks need to be done in unreasonable timelines. Fortunately, most people I've worked with at this company are reasonable, and are open to hearing feedback on whether or not the work can be done in amount of time. If you're looking for a job where you clock out at five, regardless of how productive you were that day, this isn't it. You won't succeed unless you can hit (I would argue) relatively high levels of productivity day in and day out, as otherwise you'll be working long hours or disappointing management/clients. After your first year, if you can manage a high level of productivity with regularity then it's not so bad, and you will have fairly regular hours (ignoring travel). This may not apply to other teams. 3) Moreso than other companies, it is crucial that client-facing consultant staff you have a good relationship with your manager. The work requires a high-level of trust, as the manager needs to be able to trust you to deliver and keep clients happy. This means you're not solely judged on your ability to accomplished a well-defined task, but also to be flexible and provide the client with what they are ultimately looking for. 4) I don't think this type of work is for everyone for the reasons I've already mentioned. Fundamentally, a lot of people who succeed at CPCS started young without many family commitments. Starting out, it would be difficult if you couldn't prioritize this job. This changes with experience, trust and seniority, and many people do balance both families and careers. I think this leads to a lack of diversity in experiences, knowledge and practice.

Managing Partner

Thank you for your input. You hit on some important points valued by people interested in CPCS. You outline some challenges of management consulting and key elements of success, which is to work smart, be productive and trustworthy. A big portion of our work happens overseas in dynamic and sometimes unstructured environments. This means building trust with our team members is key for our company’s success. CPCS provides constant opportunities for its employees to shine, and that involves a giving and earning a strong level of trust. We agree with you that it’s possible to have a work-life balance at CPCS. We’re also aware it can be challenging at times. I’d like to highlight that we’re constantly adapting with new family-oriented policies such as flex time arrangements, travel and allowing our employees to expense things like babysitting when work requirements create challenges for caring for dependents. We have also placed increased focus on diversity in our entire talent management chain. We made it a priority, and will continue to do so. Ultimately, you are right that CPCS is not for everyone. A real passion and commitment for the work we do is necessary to contribute to our culture centered on having fun with other like-minded people, to contribute positively to our mission and impact, and ultimately to thrive as an individual in your CPCS career. Without that, all these challenges just feel hard work! Modernizing our processes and tools is happening now and as fast as we can. We hired a Corporate Affairs Manager to do just that. It’s true that our processes work, and I recognize it takes time to transform, automate and simplified them. I’m accountable and actively involved in improving our operating platform.

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to grow and learn from a professionally

Mar 9, 2020 - Consultant in Ottawa, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

1. Very diverse and inclusive environment 2. Flexible work schedule 3. Keeps you on your toes

Cons

No cons - growth stage and a lot of positive changes visible

Managing Partner

We're very excited about our Young Professionals Program (YPP) which seeks to do just this! Our experience with Young Professionals going through the program so far has been very positive and we're very pleased to see them grow and find a home in CPCS Divisions and Units after they complete the onboarding program.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great Company

Feb 17, 2020 - Corporate Office
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fun fast pace work environment.

Cons

virtual team is always a challenge.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee

High Quality People

Feb 4, 2020 - Corporate
    Business Outlook

Pros

By far the smartest, most accomplished and interesting group of people I worked with.

Cons

So much to do and so little time!

7. 5.0

Professional, Nurturing, Inclusive

Jan 29, 2020 - Corporate in Ottawa, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

I strongly admire the company's genuine desire to watch its employees grow. Employees proudly take ownership of their work, and there are often several opportunities available for exercising creativity. The workplace is highly diverse with unique perspectives and ideas from all over the world, along with an added curiosity and enthusiasm associated with learning about different cultures. The company also embraces technology, and is even able to stay connected with employees in remote locations on a daily basis through its extensive use of Skype. Aside from these benefits, there is a great deal of flexibility (work-from-home etc.), and constant encouragement from peers.

Cons

I have not had any negative experiences so far

2 people found this review helpful
  8. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Up and coming place to work

Jan 29, 2020 - Corporate in Ottawa, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing work-life balance Bi-monthly pay!! Flexible on site schedule Friendly people

Cons

You have to pay a lot for parking

Managing Partner

We're pleased to have rolled out a transit fare policy to subsidize the cost of transit for staff commuting to offices. This is also consistent with our broader philosophy of reducing impacts and promoting greener means of transportation.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Recent interview and on-boarding experience

Nov 12, 2019 - Consultant in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

CPCS has a very unique approach when it comes to recruiting and retaining talents. Being the employee-owned company it is, CPCS makes sure to preserve work-life balance while developing and encouraging employees' high performance. A special combination that makes it very human development-focused and quite unique!

Cons

All consulting firms have room for improvement when it comes to their systems and efficiency. I can see one or two such areas and feel both comfortable and confident that management will receive and listen when I suggest ways to improve them.

2 people found this review helpful
  10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Principal Consultant

Oct 29, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great environment, cool culture, smart people, very entrepreneurial and lots of opportunity for growth

Cons

Working for a global company can sometimes be challenging not having your manager, team or colleagues in the same location. Not necessarily a con, but a challenge due to the nature of the work.

Viewing 11 - 20 of 42 Reviews