Bungie Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Bungie Reviews

Updated Jan 12, 2020

4.1
Bungie CEO Pete Parsons (no image)
Pete Parsons
Pros
  • "Bungie works hard and plays hard; some teams do crunch but that is the reality of the game industry(in 5 reviews)

• "Longer-term contracts with full-time benefits was a rare find for the end of Destiny's development(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Crunch falls more heavily on certain departments, than others(in 8 reviews)

• "Vendors/Contractors are strung out for years with the hopes of being hired full-time(in 6 reviews)

"A great company going through really hard time right now."

Former Employee - Product Owner in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Bungie full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

-Amazing Benefits -Aspirational 10 year plan -Studio President is personable and cares

Cons

Things have changed quite a bit at Bungie since their split from Activision. I had been with the company since shortly after Halo Reach (almost a decade). While some aspects have improved, such as reduced crunch, the studio seems to have lost a lot of appreciation for veteran talent. Out of necessity, Bungie needs to learn and hire a lot of the publication roles Activision provided, and studio leadership has definitely let the fox guard the hen house in this time because of it. As a result, crunch has become a regular occurrence again, and burnout of the Destiny franchise is real. Many veterans are leaving to other studios formed by Bungie alumni or going elsewhere in the Seattle game dev scene. Those roles are not being backfilled, but rather replaced with a "do more with less" attitude, filling roles instead with contractors rather than full time talent we had been clicking on full cylinders with between the Taken King and Forsaken releases. These factors have led to the poorest morale I've seen at the company, which has been declining since late 2018. Leadership says they understand, and will do better, but still keeps leaning into not backfilling jobs and waiting to align on a direction before it's too late to deliver. This has been most obvious on the Narrative and QA teams. Not seeing any improvement in sight, I sadly left the job I thought I would retire at.

Advice to Management

Don't lose sight of who built Destiny. You're bringing in a lot of contract narrative, design, and QA folks, and it's making life really rough on your middle-level talent.

Bungie2020-01-12

"Company cares deeply for employees, still tremendous product quality bar"

Current Employee - Middle Management in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Bungie full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

* Strong benefits and culture shows that company really cares about its people, sometimes to its detriment * Refuses to lower the bar for quality, which helps to create one of the best products in the industry * I never feel like the smartest person in the room, I am continually astounded by the intellect and talent of the people around me * When employees are not meeting the quality bar, management is willing to manage people out vs. sitting idly by. Did not happen for a while, but it has been increasingly willing to do so over the past couple years * Following Forsaken, the game and business has turned around substantially. It's exciting finally seeing the game and company firing on all cylinders after a rough 2018

Cons

* Tools aren't up to industry par * High number of deliverables - DLCs, monthly releases - with no breaks to catch your breath * Destiny is just too big. 500+ people working on one title means a lot of overhead in meetings and makes us very slow to pivot * Work life balance can be fine in some groups, less fine in others. Unfortunately there's no easy solution to stop delivering releases, which means some - I think few - teams are consistently underwater.

Advice to Management

Avoid the same mistakes in terms of scaling too quickly in the future. Keep making the hard calls to manage people out, cut bad features, etc. Even if it's unpopular, if it's the right call, we'll all be thankful in the end. Keep the ship stable over the next couple of years so we don't have to make another big organizational pivot (see: Activision, Seasons, F2P, etc.)

Bungie2019-12-02

"Excellent culture with career growth in mind"

Current Employee - Associate Software Development Engineer In Test

I have been working at Bungie full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits, events, community, career growth opportunity

Cons

Still working on diversity

Bungie2019-11-11

"Lead"

I have been working at Bungie full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Amazing company to work for. People, benefits, games, community.

Cons

Production environment is still challenging.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. It’s working.

Bungie2019-08-23

"Damn Good Company to Work at. (2009 - Now)"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Bungie full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

There are many pros to working at Bungie. 1. Fantastic people. 2. The culture, it's one that you just don't find at any other company in the game industry. 3. Your co-workers are constantly friendly towards you, they are willing to help with anything. 4. 5. Dave Samuel

Cons

There are however a few cons that come with working here. 1. Management, management, management. 2. Upper people will comstantly check on you to see if you are satisfied with your working conditions or work/life balance, although they aren't really willing to do anything about it. 3. The work/life balance can be awful at times depending where the current development of the game is currently at.

Advice to Management

Be more open-minded, I've seen many co-workers be laid off for some pretty dumb reasons.

Bungie2019-06-26

"Bungie Values"

Current Employee - Content Creator in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Bungie full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pete Parsons is a really nice dude. Bungie at its core is still an amazing and creative place to be. Jason Jones is also a cool guy and easy to talk to. The culture that Bungie works hard to have is one where game development and life-balance go hand-in-hand...but

Cons

Not everyone supports the "Bungie Core-Values" and it's most evident in their Marketing Department also known as VizD. Teams are stronger than heroes Player experience first Strong ideas loosely held Closing is an everyday practice Widen your perspective Keep it fun Put a dent in the universe The VizD Marketing Department is very well known throughout the studio as being the hardest department to work for. Mostly due to its management or lack of. People are expected to work late hours with little-to-no notice, they work through lunch every day, weekends, through holidays, with no leadership, no communication and no direction on projects. You like those ViDoc’s on YouTube? That’s great because the team that makes them is slowly dying. Yes it's a job and yes it's a competitive industry however it's not the “Bungie” way…or is it? In fact I would go so far to say that the Marketing for Bungie which is now 100% Bungie is more like that of Activision and less like Bungie. There is very little regard to showing people they are of value or are creatively part of the process. The Management for VizD is the most awful I've ever experienced. People treat each-other like garbage and it comes from the top down. It is acceptable and tolerated. Three of the past senior artists were fired for various "reasons" and several others were placed on pips or “Performance Improvement Plans” however they’re some of the most productive and positive people on the team. Bungie HR is either completely clueless or completely incompetent and no help what-so-ever. There is no support for this team. Several members of the team have been with VizD for years, yet they’re still not considered FTE and thus have no medical or dental insurance, they pay for their own parking and walk to work in the rain or snow. Vendors/Contractors are strung out for years with the hopes of being hired full-time. During that time they work long hours and receive none of the “Perks” or benefits that the Bungie employees receive. No one speaks up on the VizD Team as they’ve seen so many people come and go and they fear reprisals from management. As much as I love what Bungie says it stands for – I’ve sadly only seen them watch quietly as peoples lives are destroyed.

Advice to Management

Clean house.

Bungie2019-07-16

"Excellent Game Studio"

I have been working at Bungie full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Bungie offers outstanding benefits, and competitive salaries. Team health is very important, and Bungie strives to create a welcoming environment for all of its employees.

Cons

The open-floor format may feel somewhat crowded in the main studio, however, everyone is very considerate of their neighbors working nearby.

Bungie2019-03-19
  8. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - IT Support Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Bungie full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Challenging, wear different hats,fun atmosphere

Cons

Long hours. Crunch time can tedious

Bungie2019-01-16

"Passionate Team with Management Doing Their Best"

I have been working at Bungie full-time

Pros

- Many passionate people who want to make great games - Management is not in an ivory tower, and they really care about the game because they play it - Good benefits

Cons

- Some technical struggles with tools - Large team that has individuals who disagree with good reasons on the direction of the game, which can happen when everyone is passionate but the team is so large. This leads to people feeling like they're not listened to.

Advice to Management

- Continue to trust the team and let them drive the direction of the game - Continue to invest in tools and workflow solutions - Admit mistakes internally and ask the team to help drive solutions; don't try to fix it all yourself

Bungie2018-07-03

"Best place I've ever worked for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Bungie full-time for more than a year

Pros

Best culture I've ever seen. Caring people managers and career development. Transparent and accessible company leadership. You're working on AAA franchises.

Cons

The company has outstanding creative leadership, but I'm not confident in their ability to run a business.

Advice to Management

Might be time to bring in some outside expertise from some major game companies on the business side.

Bungie2018-05-19