Build-A-Bear Employee Reviews about "minimum wage"

Updated Dec 8, 2020

3.8
Build-A-Bear CEO Sharon John (no image)
Sharon John
Pros
Cons
  • "Few hours, minimum wage pay, no chance up moving up(in 41 reviews)

• "Pay was very low compared to other part time work(in 36 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "minimum wage"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great company - lots of fun"

5.0
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Ottawa, ON

I worked at Build-A-Bear part-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing atmosphere to work in

Cons

minimum wage is hard to make a living on

2. "Sales Associate"

5.0
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Oshawa, ON

I have been working at Build-A-Bear part-time for less than a year

Pros

good work environment flexible hours allows room for growth acknowledgement of strengths appreciation for sales associates tolerance

Cons

minimum wage for sales associates

3. "Good for extra cash"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Van Nuys, CA

I have been working at Build-A-Bear part-time

Pros

Flexible, work life balance, choose your hours

Cons

Few hours, minimum wage pay, no chance up moving up

"Management is Key"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Build-A-Bear part-time

Pros

If your management is good you’ll have a good time there and enjoy working there. If you enjoy working with kids it’s an easy and fun time, a good job to get you started in the work field.

Cons

My management obviously had favorites and it affected how I got to work and when I got to work. Don’t expect a lot of hours, you can’t live off this job unless your a manager doing work almost every day. And with the amount of work bear builders have to do I feel it’s quite inappropriate to be paid only minimum wage. We work with machinery, host parties, and have to essentially babysit a store full of children and adults alike. That’s not just work 7.25 an hour.

5. "Great company to work for but..."

Current Employee - Bear Builder

I have been working at Build-A-Bear part-time for more than a year

Pros

My coworkers and chief manager were great to work with

Cons

You're working minimum wage. Granted it's a fun and amazing job and it's one of the best I've ever had, but the pay isn't really as competitive as it could be

"Company Without Heart"

2.0
    Current Employee - Sales Lead

I have been working at Build-A-Bear part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Meet new people every day

Cons

Minimum wage for Disney level customer service. Healthcare benefits were cut. Corporate is incompetent and seems to make the wrong choice at every turn. Weekly performance evaluations even though you are getting paid the minimum wage. Unattainable sales goals. Intentionally misleading promotions lead to angry customers.

Continue reading

"Fun Place To Work, But Low Pay"

Former Employee - Bear Builder

I worked at Build-A-Bear part-time for more than a year

Pros

I loved the entertainment aspect and being able to engage with guests. We occasionally had rewards for meeting certain sales goals, either as a store or individually.

Cons

I was paid the level of "cost of living" in my area, which everyone knows is not the cost of living whatsoever. For the amount of work that Bear Builders are expected to do, they should be paid at least $3-4 above minimum wage, if not higher.

Continue reading
  8. "Easy job if you're just looking for part-time"

Former Employee - Bear Builder
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Build-A-Bear part-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun environment. I enjoyed work everyday, the music was lit and made me very happy. It's a super easy job. You basically just stuff bears and talk to guests the whole time. BAB is also a super respectable company!

Cons

The pay was the bare minimum of minimum wage. My particular head manager was problematic within the other managers and bear builders. Angry moms are no fun, especially when it comes to stuffed animals. Also literally NO hours for regular bear builders, max was 12 hours in a good week. 2 days a week normally, that's why I said a part-time job. If you need money, don't rely on this job alone.

Continue reading

"Pretty fun, but pay doesn't reflect the responsibilities expected of you. Not so "pawsome"."

2.0

I have been working at Build-A-Bear part-time

Pros

-My team and managers are great- so supportive and nice, so no complaints at all there. The general atmosphere is very encouraging and fun. -Honey pay- for every 8 hours worked, you receive an extra hour's pay which is very nice when you only work part-time. -Generous employee discount (30% regularly, and 50% at Christmas). (And head office sends everyone a bear at Christmas which is sweet). -Training is done gradually so you don't really feel you can't handle what's being thrown at you. -Good experience of working with kids/ delivering excellent customer service.

Cons

Along with the standard cons of working in retail (rude, entitled customers, run off your feet at the weekend/ Christmas etc.), there are quite a number of cons... Bear-Builders (sales associates) are paid minimum wage, which is appalling considered the amount we are expected to do- regular 'retail stuff' like till work and restocking, plus heavily interacting with all customers, building the bears, being a child's entertainer, going above and beyond for every single customer, cleaning the shop, and hosting kids' parties (which has no extra pay whatsoever), all while maintaining a bright and bubbly persona. Contracts are 4-hour-a-week only for Bear-Builders, which is hard when this is an only job; and number of hours worked can vary vastly between weeks, with a single 4-hour shift one week, and 25 hours the next. You are forced to up-sell extras to every guest constantly, even kids and grandparents just looking for a bear for their grandchild- it gets very tiring and I feel like it's really unethical. Each employee also has personal sales targets we are expected to meet, and a certain level of stress comes with this- it is a lot to expect from a minimum wage job with little prospect of advancement. Also, there is an expectation to pounce on and greet every single customer with a scripted set of greetings and questions as soon as they enter the shop (it all seems very American and in-your-face); and so you're fully aware of how irritating you're being, but you have to as it's part of the job. This also puts you directly in the line of fire for being yelled at by customers who want to be left alone. Breaks are very short (or non-existent) for long, tiring shifts. You're expected to clean up vomit and pee occasionally... Parents just straight up filming you without asking your permission. In short, this is an okay job to have if you're desperate for work or just need a weekend job to see you through college, but it's soul destroying, physically and mentally draining, and you're paid peanuts for the work you're expected to do.

Continue reading
  10. "Great Job with a Not So Great Pay"

Current Employee - Bear Builder in Edison, NJ

I have been working at Build-A-Bear part-time for more than a year

Pros

Build-a-Bear places a priority on “experience first” for their guests which makes it very different from many companies. They usually treat their employees well by trying to celebrating victories and holidays.

Cons

I loved everything about my job aside from how much I got paid. When I first got hired, I was only earning a little more than the minimum wage. Every year you work at Build-a-Bear there is an opportunity for a raise but as I was a part-time employee, I only got about thirty cents more when that time came around. Bear builders are expected to dress up as the mascots and host parties amongst Bear building and cashiering. All these things can quickly become overwhelming when swarmed in a busy store making workers deserving of a higher salary. One of my coworkers got promoted from a bear builder to a floor leader and they only had a raise of $1 although their responsibilities increased significantly. Build-a-Bear only hires 18 and older and getting paid minimum wage and being expected to go to college, pay bills and earn a living is very difficult.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 41 English Reviews