BroadbandTV Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2021

3.2
BroadbandTV Founder and CEO 	Shahrzad Rafati (no image)
Shahrzad Rafati
Pros
  • "BBTV is an exciting company in a fast paced industry(in 14 reviews)

• "Fun industry & work environment - great people to work with(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Indecisive upper management requires endless planning and justification for projects(in 10 reviews)

• "The company is essentially a pyramid scheme designed to aggregate content from YouTube(in 9 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "Good place to work"

5.0
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at BroadbandTV full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice team number, nice place to work

Cons

there is no con so far

February 19, 2021

We always love to receive such wonderful feedback, and we agree that BBTV is a nice place to work. Happy to have you as part of the team!

2. "Good place to start"

4.0
    Current Employee - YouTube Content Acquisition Specialist in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at BroadbandTV full-time

Pros

Great company culture and really cares about people.

Cons

Base salary is quite low

April 7, 2021

Thanks so much for sending along your comments. We’re glad to hear that you’re enjoying your time with BBTV. We’re proud of our company culture as we've worked hard to implement a number of great employee initiatives to ensure that mental health and well being of all team members is a priority, and that the positive and fun culture of the company continues to develop and move forward. We are sorry to hear that some of your expectations aren’t being met. In regards to salary, we encourage you to please reach out to your Manager or HR to share your feedback.

3. "Great place to work"

4.0
    Former Employee - Content Partnerships Representative

I worked at BroadbandTV full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Supportive co-workers/management. - Opportunities to be promoted internally.

Cons

none, none, none, none, and none

March 22, 2021

What a wonderful review to receive, and we’re thrilled to hear that you had a great experience working at BBTV. We agree that BBTV has cultivated a supportive and valuable work environment, it’s a testament to our entire team and also to the people we hire. We’re also proud to provide development programs for employees to expand their skills and scope of responsibility, taking their BBTV careers to the next level. Thanks again for your feedback, and we wish you the best on your next endeavour.

"Don't even know where to start"

1.0
    Current Employee - Custodian in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at BroadbandTV full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Flexible work hours -Some genuinely hard working and fun people -Benefits & paid vacation

Cons

Much of what other reviews say is true... -Insultingly low wages (seemingly hire more people than they can pay fairly) -High turnover -Complete lack of upper management accountability/transparency -Very unclear processes & policy -Often feels like a pyramid scheme -Acts like a tech company, but is really a middleman for YouTube services

April 14, 2021

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We do agree that we have an amazing group of people working at BBTV, and that the company provides great benefits that support our team members physical, mental and emotional well-being. However, we’re sorry to hear that your time at BBTV didn’t meet all of your needs and expectations. We put a lot of time and effort into ensuring our total compensation package is competitive in our market. In addition to base salary, we offer an annual bonus and if you were a member of one of our sales teams, you would also have had the opportunity to earn commissions. We also track our turnover rate and benchmark against our industry and we are very proud to say that our turnover rate is below industry standard for tech and media companies. We offer a lot of people their first career opportunity right out of school, as well as creating opportunities for newcomers to Canada - we are very proud of our diverse team. This means that after learning and growing with us some people move on to their next great opportunity, and we are happy to know that we have helped them get started in their career and that they will take BBTV’s work ethic and values with them. BBTV is an integral part of global content consumption, and has experienced significant and continuous growth and scale over the past few years. With this rapid growth environment, the company continually works to refine our structure and processes to meet the evolution of the business. In regards to transparency, we are proud of our ongoing and open communication, whether that is through our Town Halls, Pulse Check surveys, and ThoughtExchanges to gather feedback on everything from how people are coping working from home to what’s important in our diversity and inclusion journey. Leadership, management, and HR also make themselves readily available for any team member who has questions, concerns, or thoughts pertaining to the business. Thanks again for your feedback. We wish you the best.

5. "Uncompetitive Salaries"

Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at BroadbandTV full-time

Pros

- inclusive culture - great office - female leadership

Cons

- compensation is uncompetitive - industry is volatile

April 14, 2021

Thanks so much for sharing your feedback. BBTV is proud to be founded by our female Chairperson & CEO, who continues to lead the company. Her hard work, passion, and ability to inspire our team, has catapulted BBTV to a leader in the media tech space. BBTV has seen positive results from our inclusive culture, because we believe that when our people feel safe to be their true selves, they are more productive, and are happier and healthier contributors. We also agree that BBTV has an incredible office space in the heart of downtown Vancouver, and we look forward to returning safely after the covid-19 pandemic. We’re sorry our Total Rewards didn’t meet your expectations. We put a lot of time and effort into ensuring our total compensation package is competitive in our market. In addition to base salary, we offer an annual bonus and if you were a member of one of our sales teams, you would also have the opportunity to earn commissions. As part of our overall package, we offer generous annual paid vacation, which is well above standard and which increases the longer you stay with us. We also offer paid personal days, as well as a generous annual Learning & Development budget, extended medical and dental benefits that are fully paid by BBTV on your behalf and up to 8 hours of paid Community (volunteer) hours each year. We also implemented special paid COVID leave to support any of our team members who were unwell or had to care for family members. We think it’s a very competitive overall package. And we agree that we are in an ever-changing, high growth industry. It’s one of the things that makes working at BBTV exciting.

"Poorly run (from the CEO on down)"

1.0
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Vancouver, BC

I worked at BroadbandTV full-time for less than a year

Pros

As compared to other environments I'm familiar with, there was nothing at BBTV that stood out as an obvious Pro. Overall, the bulk of the employee base was friendly/collegial, but also seemed aware of the core issues at the heart of BBTV's ongoing struggles to attract and retain talented personnel.

Cons

Two main criticisms: (1) The CEO clearly prioritizes being portrayed and praised as a progressive CEO over actually being a progressive CEO and strong businessperson. She is image over substance, form over function. If she was as good at running/building the business as she is at self-promotion, BBTV would actually have a chance of being a successful company. As it stands, the business continues to meander along with minimal (if any) forward momentum as the CEO (and senior executives) lack actual business experience and saavy and have failed to take the company to the next level. Unfortunately, this becomes clear to many employees after a few months at BBTV which has led to retention issues. (2) Related to the previous point, there is a troubling lack of transparency from the CEO and executive team as to the company's financial position, future prospects, and future plans. When pressed on these matters by employees (at town halls, team meetings, etc.), the responses are standard rhetoric with a generic positive "spin". It's as if you're sitting through a poorly conceived investor presentation. It can't help but make one wonder as to what's actually going on in terms of the financial viability of the business.

September 10, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. We value and appreciate your feedback. We agree that BBTV has a friendly group of people, we have a truly fantastic team and we’re pleased that you were a part of it, we’re sorry if you didn’t have a great experience. Today, our transparency and open and ongoing communications are something that we are proud of, and we receive positive feedback from our employees during our frequent anonymous feedback sessions. We hold weekly Town Halls and Department Insight Meetings with the business, where we discuss business targets and revenue goals. We clearly communicate our long term vision, and our people know how we are progressing as a company. Each employee has specific goals used to measure their progress, which fits into department level and wider business goals. It’s a transparent and focused effort which we believe is one of the many reasons why we’re a global leader, and we’ve achieved incredible growth year over year. Our Founder & CEO, and the business have won a lot of awards over the years. We’re proud to have an empowering female leader, that is not only a respected thought leader who operates a truly quadruple bottom line business, but a leader that continues to take the business from strength to strength. Not only has she built a successful business, she actively pursues ways to encourage social change and is a champion for equality in all forms, and is passionate about job creation, education, advancing opportunities for women, and climate action. All employees are encouraged to share their perspectives and our company-wide Town Halls are also used as open forums to discuss these important issues. Thank you again for your feedback and we’re sorry if we didn’t meet your expectations when you worked at BBTV. We wish you every success for the future.

7. "Dynamic work environment"

Former Employee - Country Manager in Vancouver, BC
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at BroadbandTV full-time for more than a year

Pros

Young, fun and great co-workers with diverse backgrounds

Cons

there may be lots of favoritsm in the upper management team

March 12, 2021

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your feedback. We agree that we have a wonderful team here at BBTV, and believe one of our greatest strengths is our blend of bright, passionate people with different world views and backgrounds, which not only leads us to a work environment that is more engaged, but one from which we can learn and grow from each other. BBTV’s Leadership team works hard to create a valuable and supportive experience and working environment for all of our people. Our leaders and managers communicate, guide, and inspire their teams with high touch communication, insights to guide difficult decisions, transparency and by taking an empathetic approach. Thank you again for your comments. All the best.

"A Good Place to Start Your Career"

Former Employee - N/A

I worked at BroadbandTV full-time

Pros

Great people, exciting industry, good company culture

Cons

Leadership is all males, processes are not clear, structurally needs work

February 19, 2021

Thanks for your feedback. It’s wonderful to hear about how great our people and culture are, we wouldn’t be where we are today as a company without such an amazing team! BBTV was founded and continues to be led by our Chairperson & CEO, Shahrzad Rafati. We believe equal is equal and that goes for our hiring and promotion practices, where we interview the most qualified candidates for an open role or promotion regardless of race, background, disability, family status or any other protected classes. It’s through programs like this that we have been able to achieve female representation at both the Manager and Board level. While there is always room for improvement, we are proud of our ongoing journey to ensure equal gender representation and pay at all levels, and we will continue to work toward greater diversity and inclusion in all our processes. In our rapid growth environment, we are continually refining our structure and processes to meet the evolving needs of the business, our ability to pivot quickly is part of what has fueled our growth! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with us.

9. "Okay to work with"

Former Employee - Partnership Manager

I worked at BroadbandTV full-time

Pros

- Teamwork - Events to connect with each other

Cons

- Boring jobs. Most of the time spending on YouTube platform reaching out to creators

February 19, 2021

Thanks so much for your feedback! We agree that BBTV is a collaborative environment, we all love working together to bring our company forward and we absolutely love our frequent Culture events. BBTV was one of the first major businesses in Vancouver to move to a full work from home model at the outset of the COVID-19 pandemic. It continues to be a focus for us to make sure all employees feel connected and engaged, whether through our virtual Town Halls, team events or hosting our annual company events virtually. BBTV also has a varied range of roles and positions at the company, and we are proud of our internal mobility program, which provides employees with the opportunity to transfer to roles in other departments. The program has been very successful at promoting growth and movement within BBTV.

"Driven and supportive culture with strong leadership"

5.0
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at BroadbandTV full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Leadership is solid and has been with the business for many years, they know the industry incredibly well - The company has a big vision that is clearly communicated on an ongoing basis - Driven and enthusiastic team across the board - A business that is truly a leader in its space

Cons

Working from home has brought some challenges for individuals, however the company continues to work hard to keep engagement high across the business.

August 27, 2020

Thanks so much for sharing your great review with us! BBTV’s Leadership carries a wealth of industry knowledge and they are very committed to creating a valuable, supportive experience and positive working environment for Team BBTV. We are happy to know they are there to guide and inspire our people and through their leadership we’ve implemented a number of initiatives to navigate through these challenging times. We’re also incredibly proud of the ongoing success and culture of the business and we have set-up an amazing 2020 and beyond due to the team and vision that we have built.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 128 Reviews