Borden Ladner Gervais LLP Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Sean Weir

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good benefits and people are friendly" (in 5 reviews)

• "I found the atmosphere to be very good for a law firm" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Absolutely does not care about its support staff, no job security, everyone is just a number" (in 3 reviews)

• "You can be axed at any time, with no reason" (in 2 reviews)

1. "Best corporate culture for a law firm!"

I have been working at Borden Ladner Gervais LLP full-time

Pros

Working at BLG is like working for family, kind, compassionate and caring! The support network is great and everyone is friendly!

Cons

I do not have anything negative to say.

2. "Business Development"

I worked at Borden Ladner Gervais LLP full-time

Pros

Collegiality. Culture. Benefits. Firm events. Remote working capabilities. Opportunities for growth and continuing education.

Cons

Too many juniors in management positions.

Advice to Management

Conduct an in depth review of each role in bd and its incumbent. Restructuring is necessary to eliminate waste roles.

3. "Law clerk ITL"

I worked at Borden Ladner Gervais LLP full-time

Pros

Close to Union station and street cars.

Cons

Management. Some lawyers are rude and disrespectful. Lack of communication. No respect. Support staff are not valued. No appreciation.

Advice to Management

Perhaps...let's not worry about the bottom line and work on appreciating your staff and showing them that they are valued. FYI- support staff are integral to the business and should be treated as such!

4. "Exceptional workplace"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Borden Ladner Gervais LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

String management who effectively communicate the vision and progress. Four to the size of the firm, there are many opportunities to develop skills and establish a suitable career path.

Cons

Not too many negatives that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating and providing opportunities to all professionals within the firm.

5. "Good Company"

I worked at Borden Ladner Gervais LLP full-time

Pros

Lots of benefits and perks beyond just medical
    Lawyers are incredibly talented

Cons

Can be a bit overwhelming especially when it comes to the amount of day to day procedures

6. "Law Clerks/Paralegal corporate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC

I worked at Borden Ladner Gervais LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

nice coworkers, everybody willing to help

Cons

Clerks and paralegals stabs in the back (careful in corporate!) no feedback from management quick enough when new and no "plan" to introduce you to new team...

Advice to Management

perhaps HR should also take care of the "other" people that suppport all lawyers and make it happen for them?!

7. "Love BLG!"

Current Employee - Business Development Specialist in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Business Development Specialist in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Borden Ladner Gervais LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Despite being the oldest and largest law firm in Canada, BLG offers a very dynamic work environment and forward-thinking management. The firm is investing for the future and they are bringing the best people on board to ensure success.

Cons

Very busy place so you will have to hit the ground running, but many opportunities to challenge yourself and excel. And the people are great and very friendly.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Business Services in Calgary, AB
    Current Employee - Business Services in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Borden Ladner Gervais LLP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been here for a whole 8 weeks now...And in that time the following has made me feel welcome, valued and a part of the team:

- Week 1 Onboarding process- Just to have a work station completely set up on day one, with everything I needed in place was a pleasant surprise. The time spent with the BLG trainer walking through various systems, setups, was the perfect amount of information for a new hire and he was so knowledgeable, friendly and approachable the day’s information was not overwhelming. Also having other teams in the office like office services, catering & HR come speak with to new hires on Day 2 was another great addition! I have started with varying industries over my 45+ years and by far BLG got these important first days right.
    - Week 3 Flowers -Daffodils handed out to all by the smiling HR team as the firm supports the annual Canadian Cancer society Daffodil fundraiser
    - Week 3 St Paddy’s gathering- I love that the firm takes the time to celebrate even the small things, I was only able to stay for 30 minutes that day, but what that event did was allow me to meet others on the BLG team. There was a warm welcome from all I had not met yet. And the Irish décor, food and drink was great!
    - Week 4 Easter- Chocolate bunnies delivered to our desk by a smiling HR team!
    - Week 5 Vancouver office- The same inviting atmosphere is present in the Vancouver office as well. After a great start here in Calgary , I was interested to see if the great culture was apparent in other offices making it a BLG thing not just a Calgary thing! And it was a great visit; from the help I received from the Vancouver admin team to have a place to sit and find things, to the office services team who went above and beyond for a few changes my Vancouver team required and the IT team who stepped up to help, same great people and culture in both offices. As I have a team I oversee there as well this makes me confident they are in a positive location as well.
    - Week 6 Emergency Warden Training- The gentleman brought in to train was amazing. He was skilled in making sure we all knew what our roles were, but inflicted enough light heartedness to not make it feel like a punishment to sign up to be a warden. I am confident after the training provided I can represent as a warden in a competent manner because BLG hired a great company and trainer to implement the training.
    - Week 8 Administrators Day- Wow, just wow! The day started with a wonderful breakfast for all non-lawyers served by lawyers. I love to observe people’s reactions to things/events so during breakfast yesterday morning I looked around the room and could literally see the energy in the room from smiles on faces. You found a way to make all in the room feel special and not just the Administrators in the room but you could feel how much the lawyers were enjoying the day as well. One lady said to me “I look forward to this all year and have been telling my friends for weeks it was coming up”. With reactions like that I think you know you have a winning event. And the gelato in the afternoon was perfect addition and then all of a sudden the smiling HR team was handing out gift cards! All 3 of these things added up to the perfect amount of appreciation .Well done!!
    My decision to join the firm was a good one!

Cons

None so far! And I’m confident if there were the HR team would openly listen to my concerns and provide solutions!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work & you will have no problem retaining employees!

9. "Exciting place to be right now. BLG is well positioned for continued growth and success."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Borden Ladner Gervais LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leadership commitment to change, innovation and creating the highest performing firm.

Cons

Pace can be overwhelming and uncompromising at times - hold on tight!

Advice to Management

Continue the path we are on. We are investing in the right areas and making some of the tough decisions that will pay off in the long run. We are on a winning trajectory.

10. "Positive evolving law firm"

Current Employee - Specialist in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Specialist in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Borden Ladner Gervais LLP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Firm has an ambitious innovation and technology agenda and really exciting opportunities are available for its employees and lawyers. The industry is evolving and BLG is laying the foundation to adapt and thrive.

Cons

The pace of change is intense and there can be disruptions to how one does their role. I understand the external pressures causing the need to change.

Advice to Management

Continue with the transparent communications and outreach and engagement to employees. Let us be part of the journey.