Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

3.7
Booz Allen Hamilton CEO Horacio D. Rozanski
Horacio D. Rozanski
Pros
Cons
  • "Work-life balance is hard to maintain(in 204 reviews)

• "Burns through people by chasing awful work to maintain company revenue after going public(in 100 reviews)

1. "Excellent organization"

Current Employee - Lead Associate in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work life balance, good exposure to technology

Cons

They need to spread geographically

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Booz Allen Hamilton2018-04-23
  2. "Pretty good"

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton part-time

Pros

Very nice staff and management

Cons

Hard to get days off

Advice to Management

Set a procedure for getting days off

Booz Allen Hamilton2018-05-06
  3. "General thoughts"

Former Employee - Lead Associate

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great launch pad for new grads and ex-military

Cons

more focus on the consulting practice of getting full time employees in client organizations High requirement for security clearance

Booz Allen Hamilton2017-07-03

"Just OK."

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

--Good training ops. --Salary/Benefits/Social activities that are swanky.

Cons

--Top-heavy whereby too many managers are doing admin and not the actual work of the "practice" (Booz-speak for the individual tech team or group of teams which serve one client or one sector such as the US Navy). --The company is overally "balkanized." It's harder than expected to move from one practice to another. It's almost like there are several small B-A&Hs instead of one company.

Advice to Management

--Lose some of the bureaucracy and operate with more agile teams.

Booz Allen Hamilton2013-08-14

"Great people, terrible business"

Senior Consultant in McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton for less than a year

Pros

The people are great. Everyone -- even the difficult types -- are eager to work and excel. There are some senior officers with questionable morality, but most people here are great people to work with.

Cons

1. Federal clients. Don't forget that you'll move at their pace, not yours. 2. The nature of the job means that sooner or later you'll be strategizing ways to get more money from the client (i.e. federal government), regardless of whether or not you'll actually add value. BAH runs on government money, a large chunk from DoD, and thus is part of the bigger problem we have in this country with fiscal responsibility.... 3. Living off the American taxpayer. Much of the money that flies around in DC is at the expense of everyone else everywhere else in the US, BAH is a major player in this system, particularly the defense technology sector. 4. You'll never get paid what you're worth. The three lowest ranks (Consultant, Sr. Consultant, Associate) seldom make what they're worth, while senior management (looking at you, officers) make insane amounts of money.

Advice to Management

I'm leaving this job for two reasons, despite being hand-picked and groomed for greater responsibility by senior management. 1. You weren't paying me enough to do the job; especially when you factor in the amount of stress this job puts on a human being, the amount of time I sacrificed with my family, the amount of guilt this job inspired in me as an American. 2. The job is not meaningful to anyone who doesn't... lust for profits. At some point each of us gets a look at how the sausage is made, and then it becomes clear that the government is basically asking (literally sending out solicitations and announcements) to be ripped off. They don't need what we're selling, but they buy it anyways because Congress tells them to. This buys Congress fancy retirement plans at the same businesses that profit. But everyone else loses, and Booz Allen isn't doing enough to be a part of our nation's long-term fiscal stability.

Booz Allen Hamilton2016-09-15
  6. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Acquisition Analyst in Lexington Park, MD

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very welcoming and motivating for new employees.

Cons

Not many. Make sure to get to know your management structure and please the right people in order to get good feedback come time for salary reviews, etc.

Booz Allen Hamilton2019-10-21
  7. "Talent Acquisition is the BOMB at Booz Allen Hamilton~ IF you want to work hard!"

Current Employee - Senior Talent Acquisition Specialist in McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have been with the firm for several years and can't envision myself working anywhere else. Each day presents a challenge, we are not micromanaged and often given leadership responsibility. We are each responsible to drive hiring, present trends and, meet with Hiring Managers to educate them of the process and back up performance with metrics and coordinate large hiring events. You can expect to manage 60+ req's in... the defense side, per Recruiter. You are generally recognized for your outstanding performance. If you can't handle working autonomously or are adverse to hard work and hiring goals, it is not the right place for you. Pay is excellent, we are paid WAY above what Glassdoor claims is the high end BUT you earn every penny. This is not the typical "Recruiting job". If you look at description for a Recruiting Lead, that is more what you should expect to be doing. Managing your clients within your "Service Offering" to make offers quickly and meet strict deadlines advising on best practice with a keen eye on compliance at ALL TIMES. Its truly a wonderful place to work. We work with purpose and know we are making a contribution to the betterment of society and the DoD.

Cons

Headcount drives promotions even if you exceed all hiring expectations. Promotion will come eventually, I believe, but it takes a lot of time and dedication to prove you are able to lead. You must be assigned a challenging task, like integration of a new system or a large contract and then perform well to be promoted past Senior level, into leadership track. You should expect to act as a Lead before you get that... title. We don't all receive a recruiting bonus for hires in a quarter, etc. I think more can be done to recognize outstanding performance. We could have more contact with the decision makers, those that recognize top performance. Maybe a meeting once a year and invite those that consistently meet their goals and/or are on track for promotion. Lots of work.

Booz Allen Hamilton2019-10-18
  8. "Sys Admin for Booz Allen Hamilton"

Current Employee - Operations Support Analyst in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

Pros

Relaxed, fun and modernized atmosphere.

Cons

Working shift work, rotating shifts monthly.

Booz Allen Hamilton2019-10-17
  9. "Work life balance and people are great"

Former Employee - Middleware Administrator in Herndon, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work life balance Technologies People Pay is fair

Cons

Hard to grow professionally and move up the ladder

Booz Allen Hamilton2019-10-17
  10. "Great"

Current Employee - Strategic Communications Consultant

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

Teleworking, nice office, impactful work

Cons

Commute and variety of coffee machines.

Booz Allen Hamilton2019-10-15