Boots Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

3.3
Boots Senior Vice President and Managing Director Sebastian James
Sebastian James

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good pay, constantly busy, opportunities to develop" (in 190 reviews)

• "Also a staff discount available too" (in 130 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Christmas Part-time Retail Assistant"

I worked at Boots part-time

Pros

I worked at Boots St Helens Merseyside between November 2017 and January 2018 and I had a really good time there. The staff were brilliant, friendly and helpful., including the Manager. I received a present on leaving and it was quite emotional. I can honestly say I enjoyed every minute. They all supported me with regards to my application for my current role with public services. I would definitely recommend working at Boots, St Helens ! One of the members of staff had been there for over 20 years and was still eager, loyal and really nice !

Cons

No cons whatsoever as there is nothing to improve

Advice to Management

Carry on the very good work

2. "Customer Assistance"

I worked at Boots part-time

Pros

- Flexible work schedule - at least in the store I worked in. My managers were all really easy-going, if you couldn't do a specific shift, they were willing to allow you to switch with others once you get their permission.
    - Very good salary, well above the minimum wage, considering the work you'll be doing is quiet easy

Cons

- There isn't much down side at all! The work I did, I personally felt was very easy and exactly what you would expect a customer assistance to be doing. However, it can get a bit mundane sometimes.

Advice to Management

- Raise awareness about the pharmacy training which customer assistance can ask to be a part of. I didn't find out about this till i worked there for almost 1 year!

4 May, 2016 – HR

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback.

3. "Good"

Pros

Discount is good about 20%

Cons

Pay and support by employer

27 Jan, 2016

We very much appreciate you sharing your views.

"I work in a busy airport store"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in East Anglia, SK
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in East Anglia, SK

Pros

Staff discount is only the only benefit

Cons

Often have reprofiling which does not take into consideration individual circumstances. If staff do not agree to proposed change to hours, they are told they will have to leave. Even if they cannot do the change due to child care needs etc. they have no respect for staff, all they care about is the needs of the business.

Advice to Management

Management need to be on the shop floor more, maybe then they would see how disgruntled their employees are. Not one member of staff I work with is happy with their job.

8 Jan, 2015

Thank you for sharing your review. We appreciate your feedback and we will share it further.

5. "Top heavy, wasteful company."

I have been working at Boots full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Quick progression if you are willing to work hard.

Cons

Pharmacy team members can be very clicky and self absorbed. Very wasteful practices regarding show material. Bit slow to embrace change. Not enough staff in medium sized stores.

Advice to Management

Need to move on from rows of white shelves. Stop replacing whole cardboard stands when a sticker could update the offers.

6. "Customer Assistant"

Current Employee - Customer Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Best paying retail job, as customer assistant at the moment getting 8.33 pounds per hour, and will go up soon

Range of different types of stores, small to flagship stores, not so busy to very busy intense environments- the latter means you have to be able to work under pressure well.

flexible hours, always short staffed so can easily pick up more shifts if you want.

The tasks around the store are kinda set to specific times for example, stock comes in early morning and that's when its worked, at night there's pull forwarding, refilling drinks and removing that nights out-of-date food. So you'll always know what standard things to do for your shift depending on when your working

I've worked in a range of stores and everyone is pretty nice, make sure to introduce yourself and don't be shy to interact.

Boots overall is a great easy company to work for, they actually care about their company image and are forward thinkers, and changing to protect our future unlike some other large high street stores, who can't keep up and are closing more and more stores.

Cons

Managers. The biggest let down to boots is their managers. The newer ones in training are the worst, telling you to do a thousand and one things at the same time. They can be very patronising. My first store manager was actually nice, she made an effort to remember my name and always asked me how I was doing. This was a huge flagship store with over 200+ employees. My latest manager keeps to herself, in the sense she does tasks herself but she literally lives and breathes for boots, you could be dead and she'll be ready with a disciplinary to get back at you for taking time off. She is absolutely heartless and has made a range of staff members cry and leave. she even made our other assistant manager-who is absolutely lovely and works incredible hard with us- cry countless times.

Career opportunities- there isn't much. If the store has a pharmacy you can become a healthcare advisor which a high pay but a lot more intense and you will need to be willing to study and take tests and actually be knowledgeable. From customer assistant the next role up is assistant manger and the wage isn't worth the stress, Store manager in a flagship store is massive money like 50k+ (I believe) and I think they do 2- year rotations so you can get in if you want. Pass that area manager and regional manager.

Advice to Management

> Train your managers on how to get the most out of people
    in my degree we've done a module on what good management looks like and I'm not seeing any of that at boots. Good management can actually get a lot more out of us staff because we would go the extra mile instead of doing the bare minimum.

7. "good"

I have been working at Boots full-time

Pros

good place to work nice staff friendly

Cons

repetitive work, got boring after a while, no improvement

8. "Good part-time position"

Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Wallingford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Wallingford, England (UK)

I worked at Boots part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly and welcoming team, good fun, I worked in a lovely village branch with rarely a rude customer

Cons

It could get boring at times. Occasionally some favoritism.

9. "Customer Assistant"

I have been working at Boots part-time

Pros

Friendly
    Good Management
    Always Busy
    Different Products to learn about

Cons

Horrible hours at Christmas time and Boxing Day Sales
    weekend hours

10. "Love my jobs"

Current Employee - Assistant Marketing Manager in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Assistant Marketing Manager in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good atmosphere and good opportunities, discount card also good

Cons

Competition for promotion and progression

Advice to Management

Be more open with staff