Booking.com Employee Reviews about "team leaders"

Updated Dec 28, 2020

3.8
Booking.com President and CEO Glenn Fogel
Glenn Fogel
Pros
Cons
  • "Low salary when compared to market rate(in 69 reviews)

• "For example should a staff member that happens to be gay, is in the wrong no one will say anything as that person will scream homophobia(in 60 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "team leaders"

Return to all Reviews
  1. COVID-19

"Great place to work for, until the new CEO came in"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in London, England

I worked at Booking.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great place to work, due to the high KPIs the company offered many incentives such as high pay, different shift patterns and cashback for properties booked via the platform. Moreover, this is a great company to work for especially coming out of university, as the atmosphere is primarily young, active and diverse. I was able to constantly swap my shifts and have time off in the future without using my holidays, free food, free coffee and free healthy snacks.

Cons

No company is ever perfect, but please take this as constructive criticism. In order to have a good work-life in Booking, depends on the Team leader that you are assigned to. As micromanagement is at the forefront in this role, luckily my TL treated us like adults and continued to let us get on with our work, so long as we met the office targets; whereas other TLs will put a lot of high pressure on their agents in an attempt to surpass the min office targets, as a result, this is counter-intuitive and produces the opposite results. The TLs only want high results so that they can get higher bonuses and if that does not happen, they will find ways to make the agents work-life not so great, giving them an excuse to leave the firm and thus giving the TLs better stats, leading to another criticism, the firm is all about numbers. Whilst they heavily preach that the "customer is at the centre of everything we do", could not be further from the truth. I will not go into full details, but due to the firm being so stat driven and TLs wanting high team stats, this has led to agents cheating the system, in order to elevate the pressure that they are receiving and not be constantly threatened with a Personal Improvement Plan or dismissal. It is very hard to be dismissed by this firm, and that is a good thing however some of the TLs will try to find ways if the agent is not meeting their personal expectations, even though they are meeting office targets. Nonetheless, I do admire the organisation trying to find ways to improve personal development and hire from within, but unfortunately, Booking is also a victim of brown nosing and who you know, in order to be promoted or to be part of certain CRM projects. This company is a very LGBT friendly environment and that is amazing for being inclusive and progressive, however they are constantly shoving their own beliefs in our throats and it can be overwhelming at times. Some staff and Management as well need to be reminded that this is a workplace and not a drag Queen race or a club. I have seen some pretty obscene stuff and heard some pretty hurtful things for someone having an opinion or raising concerns. For example should a staff member that happens to be gay, is in the wrong no one will say anything as that person will scream homophobia. I strongly believe in equality and that we need to treat everyone the same, but we need to be professional and if there is insubordination, people should be able to comfortably raise concerns to management as this is a workplace. Lastly, the new CEO Glenn I would describe him as a Shareholders w3t dream, but just like when seeing a lady of the evening, the pleasure is only temporary and does not last very long. Some of the decisions that he has made are understandable, given the current pandemic; however in the long run, it looks like he will be shifting operations over to the USA due to its lax labour laws in comparison to the EU and closing some operations down and giving them to 3rd parties instead. Working life was great under the previous CEO Gillian, who recognised the importance of work-life balance, however as I cannot go into detail, some of the decisions made are highly questionable and that has led to a mass exodus of staff leaving the company, whether this was intentional or not, we will never know but staff retention and satisfaction were very high under Gillian, but the trend is now declining under the new CEO. Finally, I would still recommend this company, it is a great place to work with great people, however due to an American CEO who not only knows how to please the shareholders but also taking over a European company; please be aware that you are now a number and expendable, only work for Booking if it meets your personal criteria and goals.

Continue reading

"Good environment and benefits, but.."

2.0
    Former Employee - Customer Service Partner Specialist in Barcelona
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Booking.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits for travelling, free coffee and fruit, good working hours

Cons

Some team leaders treat agents differently and several times me (and others) felt team leader was on companys site in different situations rather than backing their team. They expect a lot from you regarding performance

"If you want to literally ruin your life, go for this company"

I worked at Booking.com full-time

Pros

Some nice benefits and oerks

Cons

The worst experience of my life: you're nothing but a number. No one cares about you: once I had a panick attack during my working hours and my team leader blamed me because I went to the toilet because of that. Promotion is just a lie, it's all about politics and if you don't know the right person in the right department, you don't have a single chance. Growing in the company and branching out in other departments is impossible for the afore mentioned reason. Your cv and your skills don't really count. Some colleagues were fired because they were outspoken about the problems in the office (50% of employees is in burnout, team leaders are way too controlling and lack of respect for their team members). It's all about the numbers, if you don't reach your monthly target they kick you out. Management is ridicoulous as they just fire people who try to communicate about the problems in the workplace. Many people point the free food as a pro, but only in one of the Amsterdam offices there have been countless food poisonings. Should I go on? Don't work for these people unless you want to burnout and have the worst experience of your life.

"brainwashing"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative Guest in Vilnius

I worked at Booking.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

average pay (1000 euros net in Lithuania), free lunch, friendly environment

Cons

This review is for the office in Vilnius, Lithuania. - Lunch of only 30 min. 2 breaks of 15 min, 10 min personal time. Very strict schedule. You cannot arrive late even if it is 10 seconds. if you need to go to the bathroom outside the break time during multiple times per day, you will surprass the personal time. then this will be discussed with your team leader on 1-1. - The quarterly evaluation at times is not fair because they compare the KPIs of all the office. There is agents in the russian line that are all day emailing while the rest of us are on calls. - you feel like some employees in other positions are with a superiorirty attitude which is not very friendly, especially team leaders - they hire external team leaders who have no idea how to be team leaders and have no experience in the job and will never be at the same level as some agents, therefore cannot give support except saying that you are not doing good enought - not matter how much effort you do, it seems that it is never enough for your employer to be happy - the job itself: in the beggining you are happy because you are tallking to people on the phone and learning a lot of new stuff. after a year, you are bored and emotional drained because there is almost nothing to learn and you keep saying that same things over and over again on the phone. people on the phone come with the same problems and you keep saying the same, like multiple deja vus. There is a big emotional tireness because you get calls from people who are wrong but think they are right, you need to fake and be nice, cannot say what you think. Repressing true emotions is the worse. I believe this job is for people with no ambitions in life. - I never applied to another position (because there is nothing interesting), but I had colleagues who were preparing for another one for over a year and got their application refused right from the beggining (and while meeting all the KPIs). - yearly raises are a joke, you are almost receiving the same money as someone that was just hired they try to brainwash you and pretend that this is not a call center, you feel like a robot easily replacable and therefore feel no value in what I was doing. this is only a good job as a first job and only for some months.

"big pressure, unfair treatment,"

2.0
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Booking.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company has a friendly environment as employers and managers are young. Many activities taking place, salary is quite good when you do unsociable hours such as Saturday and Sunday. lunch Provided for free

Cons

- The office is not stable as the management is changing all the time. - Agents are leaving the job quickly due to the high pressure in the office. - All team leader can intervene in other teams affairs and agents. - To get promoted in position is not based on experience or hard work but on people you know and hung around all the time (need to have the same principles and values as them) or you need to be Italian. - Some Team leaders treat their agents differently. - The holiday can not be taken unless the computer allows you, and never gives what you asked for. or can allow it at the last minute when the travel ticket is extremely expensive. - Big pressure on agents to reach the target which is changing all the time in order to push agents till the edge otherwise you will put under PIP program to increase the number if not you may get fired. - The office is currently currying an investigation in regards to the outbound call, as due to the big pressure, agents started calling suspended numbers in order to decrease their (finalize time) and to close their uncomplete cases such us complains and relocation. but the management considers this as gross misconduct and dismissed many of them. - The investigation was unfairly handled, some agents were not invited to this at all, some got just a warning and many were fired without taking their (3 or 5 years) great performance into consideration, however, if the team leader is you friend and you are one of the B.ready Agent you will have the privilege to get the asylum to be protected .

Continue reading

"Serious problem with the office management"

Former Employee - CSE in Cambridge, England

I worked at Booking.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great co-workers, international work environment, a proper global set up, still the local management and draconian policies that are on basically restricting basic human rights, spoiled something quite good! I worked for CBG office for more than 5 years, and at the start, there was strong management, quite strict but strong, and their decisions were based on the benefits of business (promotions, career development, team structures), not on the basis who is your favourite in the office. Basically, there was a vivid intention to stick to the company's code of behaviour and meritocracy. Thanks to changes of the site managers, (a person got the position based on CV that was, let say, inaccurate), from bad to worse, once a good place to work, in 5 years changed to a place that was unrecognizable! From the best to the worst HR practice!

Cons

Customer service jobs are always difficult, still, as mentioned before, if the company has the right culture, providing enough support, training, downtime, and not pushing unrealistic targets and KPI's year on, it could be a good place to work. Just to sum up the main negatives: Team leaders are 90% local people that forged a strong connection, protecting each other no matter what they have done! Most of them are not highly educated (no degrees), on the other side, most of the employees are foreigners, with a strong international background and high education, they speak several languages, combined with good IT skills and master degree in various subjects. Still, the majority of employees doesn't know UK employment law. The management is fully aware of this fact and constantly takes advantage of young and vulnerable employees. The result is that incidents of bullying and sexual harassment were never handled properly. Just one example: during the post company's social event, a team leader sexually harassed an employee, a member of another team. The best practice, in case of young and vulnerable, would be to put the team leader in another office until the investigation is done (to prevent his influence on people's statements), and actually, the company should have advised the victim to go to the police and report the incident. None of that was put in place, the victim was silenced, and the team leader still works in the same office. HR is one of the weakest links in this business operation, and they just serve one purpose, to aid team leaders whilst firing employees. In spite of that, all serious official complains, submitted via regular company's channels, were never upheld. Even in the case when the members investigating the case and finding that the complaint was based on solid evidence, no appropriate action was taken to make things better. The sick leave policy is appalling, there were instances that employees with cancer were bullied into leaving the company (there is always disciplinary procedure), hence if you have young children, or occasionally suffer from flu or cold, this is not the place for you.

"Run away"

1.0
    Former Employee - Customer Service Executive, Partner Service Executive in Tourcoing

I worked at Booking.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Multicultural environnement, the collegues are just amazing! (when we have the time to discover them...) Annual gift Daily fruits Some events, some surprising gifts CE In the area, they pay is better

Cons

The job itself is not easy (handling complaints, etc, but you learn a lot about yourself, people and big company) Bad management since some years, no humanity at all 2 kind of team leaders allowed: shark or sheep (any other point of view is rejected by management) People fired in front of the colleagues or leaving a one to one crying... Sickness leaves (essentially depressions, burn-out) increasing so much than the occupationnal medecine had to start a warning file Productivity before all Working on holy days and weekend, from 7h to 23h Hard to plan your holidays If you want to apply for another position (senior or team leader), they propose you an assignement without any change on your payslip obviously, and at the end they will argue they don't have any position available at the moment, you understand blablabla.. Always the same schema

Continue reading

"Always cover your back!"

Former Employee - Senior Customer Services Specialist in London, England

I worked at Booking.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Free lunch, warm soup/sandwich, bread and dessert with a salad bar or warm meal and salad bar - Free warm drinks, free fruit plus free cereal - The office stays upto date with festivals and implents the celebration if requested - Shorter lunch break allowing you to finish earlier, in time you'll realize this is not something to complain about. - Grace period - leave 15 minutes earlier or later (no earlier or later, this is monitored) - Area to grow if likable and enthusiastic - Nice open office with multiple floors (2) - Private lockers - Small shops nearby - Right by the station - Multicultural office - diversity - incentives in pay and flexibility to change shift pattern every 6 months - salary increases are good - booking freebies - quarterly bonus if on target. - possibility to have more days off for annual leave or more money.

Cons

- pressure to stay on target was unreasonable when a change of circumstances affected employees - even when on target, constant warning of going on a PIP (personal improvement programme), varied from TL to TL. - higher management failed to support when mental health was being effected (not all Team Leaders were bad, but some could make you feel uncomfortable). Mental health really needs to be supported especially when it is caused from stress on the job. - regardless of how long you've been in the company, there was not a sense of job security. I would advise all employees to join a legal union not matter what company you join but especially for Booking.com. - hard to trust some team leaders as some were two faced towards their own colleagues let alone agents. Never go alone in a displinary meeting. - once locked into pension after a certain time period, I was personally unable to leave however was told there was a way but clearly it wasn't made clear to me. - sickness- a TL once said to me to prove I was sick if I was sick and wasn't in work at the time if this was within the time period of the sickness period before having to provide a Dr's note but not all TLs needed to see you looking physically unwell. 3 sickness within a year max before going on a displinary. - TLs told me conflicting information of the companies sickness and lateness policies based on personal opinion without a proper source of proof online. (If ever in trouble, proof is required). - discount - 25% capt to 1000 EUR a year for friends and family, takes 3 months to recieve in paycheck so it's not upfront repayment. - overtime rate was always given with uncertainty, overtime was only available during peak and not for all languages. - everything is monitored, so follow you schedule, you can only be around 3 minutes off according to your schedule, 6 minutes is pushing it. This is a global statistic - if you get the wrong TL, things will not be easy, but having being there for may years I had the best and worst. A TL once said to an agent "you cannot become a Team leader, you don't have it in you, you're not ready yet". This agent then applied elsewhere for a more flexible position than the team leaders and is still building herself there within the same company, different office. That team leader still works in the office as it goes to show, your potential is what you make it, don't let people knock you when you're meant for bigger and better things.

Continue reading

"On a downward spiral as the years pass. Terrible place to work."

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Executive in Cambridge, England

I worked at Booking.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Paid lunches. - Enough employees to find some nice people to get you through the day. - Salary was competitive for the field. - Booking.com(as a company) is not a bad employer, it's specifically the Cambridge office that is a bad place to work.

Cons

The management over the past 5 years have taken this office in a really unfortunate and negative direction. Looking back, it was a great place to be, nearly everyone was happy to come to work. However, due to a steady influx of negative/idiotic changes, it's been turned into a joyless machine that churns through staff on a regular basis. My main points of contention are as follows: - High turnover of staff due to unrealistic expectations. And the ones that are left are thoroughly miserable and looking for other work. Horrible atmosphere in the office due to this. - The management have no sense of what it's like to be an agent, take no care in the wellbeing of their employees and just push them to edge of their sanity. It's as if they have come to an agreement that they don't want anyone in the company to last more than a couple of years(most likely so they can keep hiring cheaper new people rather than pay loyal, hard working employees a higher salary). - If you do manage to struggle through and survive the unrealistic targets set by the management, you're not rewarded for your loyalty. Being a long standing employee garners no benefits, the management don't want you there for long. - Equal opportunities doesn't exist. The only opportunities to be promoted are given to those who can consistently fake a positive attitude. To those who consistently tell the management what they want to hear. The hard working people, who add constructive criticism are punished for speaking out. - Very, very harsh handling of sick leave. All employees are under extreme pressure to never take a day off sick. If you are sick, on your return you have to justify that sickness and are asked questions like "How could you avoid being sick in the future?". They literally set targets such as "Don't be sick for the next 6 months". If you continue to be sick, it's highly likely that you'll be dismissed. - Clear favouritism towards Team Leaders, HR and Management. If you are a team leader, you can essentially abuse your position and get away with doing very little for a lot more money. Quite the opposite to that of agents and senior support staff. In my time there I saw many turning up late with no repercussions. Saw team leaders quite literally bullying agents, targeting agents that they didn't like to push them out of the company. HR are supposed to be impartial and there if you feel something is not right or not fair. The problem is that HR protects management and team leaders. They are far too friendly with them to remain impartial and professional. Due to being protected, they can do no wrong, as far as the company is concerned. - Planning/scheduling is all that matters anymore. Adhering to the ridiculous schedules is the only thing that management care about. There is no flexibility with your day. You're told when you can take a break and will be punished for being minutes out of adherence. Even if you're forced to be late for a break due to a difficult customer shouting at you on the phone for ages. I worked there a long time. I have near unlimited further points to justify why I think the Booking.com Cambridge office is a terrible place to work. But frankly, I've already given too much of my life to this company. Even airing my complaints is tiring. I hope that I've at least made it clear to those reading this that they should not apply for a job here. And to those who are currently working there, hang in there, keep searching, you'll find something much better soon enough. Avoid this office like the plague.

Continue reading

"Big company , big budget , worst management style and no"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in London, England

I have been working at Booking.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good payment rate for weekends shifts , Nice office and location ,

Cons

There is a huge lack of support from the management team towards the agents , - The London office is controlled by sort of troupes ( internal position are given to specific people , there is a huge discrimination hidden within the office , - There is a huge pressure on the agents on stats compared to the team leaders , the agents are required to stick to their targets weekly ,hourly and quarterly - There is huge lack of internal recruitment and there is no appreciations for high performance from the management team - The in one year period there was a huge number of resignations from top management team , which affect the atmosphere of the work environment - Agents are not able to take holidays only for specific time , however for the team leaders and management there is more flexibility , - Overtime is related to your kpi and based on the approval of the team leader which is not the case in the other offices , this is totally discrimination towards agents working in London office - there is unfair way of distributing the shift pattern of calls and emails for the agents , which cause huge pressure on the agents and the opposite on others , being on phone all day or working on emails all day is not the same at all . - Some team leaders are so unprofessional , there is not communication or leadership skills to see team leader jumping and running around like a child , there is not strict rules for the TL around the office or their schedules , some TL skip their meetings one to one to have some rest ,and some are not bothering to deal with their agents or their issues . - The system used to calculate the performance of the agents is not accurate and make huge pressure on the agents accordingly , - All CSMs cares about is the stats and reaching the targets of the contacts due to the pressure from the head office -Lack of training and professional from the outsourcing agents used by the company to cover the peak season busy time. which causes more work to the agents instead of helping reducing the backlog . - There is no appreciation of the experienced agents or their feedback towards the procedures and the work guidelines

Viewing 1 - 10 of 59 English Reviews