BlueCat Reviews

4.2
BlueCat CEO Michael Harris
Michael Harris
Pros
Cons
  • "We are in a period of rapid growth, so I suppose we might encounter some growing pains(in 5 reviews)

• "Not much room for career growth in the Product Management(in 4 reviews)

1. "A great place to work"

Former Employee - Event Manager in Toronto, ON

I worked at BlueCat full-time

Pros

Employee first culture, strong leadership, competitive compensation, healthy environment to foster creativity

Cons

Frequent change in strategic direction.

"Mediocre"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, PE

I worked at BlueCat full-time

Pros

Good people and good culture

Cons

bad location and low pay

"Even the new code looks old"

2.0
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I worked at BlueCat full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Client retention is very high - no-one changes their DNS solution unless they have to - although the market they're selling into is shrinking. This makes them more stable than the average small software company. They make up for it in others ways (see cons). The office location is good if you live north of Toronto and can take the TTC or Go Bus to work. Not so good if you have to drive as there is limited parking and it's expensive. It's generally quite friendly although also cliquey.

Cons

There is constant, never-ending churn in the management of the products group which makes long term planning impossible. Expect your project priorities to change al most monthly. The code is just awful. The legacy products, which seem to make all the money, are 15+ old J2EE apps with user interfaces from the dark ages. The new, cloud based, products are a tangle of tiny microservices that make no sense at all and resist all efforts at simplification. Insane mircromanagement of all technical decisions by the most radical application of SCRUM I have ever seen. If you're a senior developer expect to be treated the same as a college intern with every decision you make scrutinized by ten people, most who know nothing about what you actually do. No positive growth direction from any of the products. The things with the most sales appear to have been random accidents rather than planned new functionality. Zero transparency over the value of any options you might be granted. Assume they're worthless and you'll be about right in all probability.

4. "2 years after and still the best"

Current Employee - Solution Consultant in Toronto, ON

I have been working at BlueCat full-time for more than a year

Pros

Management always engaged with its employees. They do care. Coworkers super friendly and always willing to help Company doing great. Lots and lots of customers and always growing and not growing without making money like other companies do. They are actually making money. Good pay and benefits. Lots of opportunities to do what you like. Work/life balance is great for me as they give you lots of time off for after-hours work, weekend work, ability to work from home, 8 personal days and vacation days.

Cons

Nothing really. Unless you have worked somewhere better you find cons. I haven't

5. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Corporate Trust Administrator in Toronto, ON

I have been working at BlueCat full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good culture and nice team

Cons

Dont have any cons..

6. "To find out pros and cons"

4.0
    Current Employee - Technical Lead in Toronto, ON

I have been working at BlueCat full-time

Pros

Good place to work. Flexible work schedule. Ability to work from home. Pretty collaborative environment with all modern tools to let people communicate fast and widely across the company. There is no strict and deep management hierarchy, the structure is pretty flat and people are free to approach and talk to any level of managers. An atmosphere of professional democracy is always maintained. Wide spectrum of technologies involved. Lots of smart and professional people. The nature of development and tech.support work pushes all engineers to learn daily and gain deep and extensive knowledge through the core of OS/networking/cloud technologies. Very large customers with world famous names which bring so much of interesting and technically deep challenges and experience! It also brings a unique opportunity to have a wide professional networking with people in IT management and security teams across companies in all major industries.

Cons

While generally top managers show some care to the people they manage, from time to time they feel free to shuffle people as cards and/or kick them out like a meat. During such moments people loose in hours the the feeling of belonging to a good and supportive working family they were gradually gaining over months and years. Often shifts in general product visions. Business processes are not established well and kept changing more often than business views, which turns out to substantially slowing down the improvement and evolution of the main product lines, reduces competitive potentials in the market. Weak product management.

7. "Headline"

4.0
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at BlueCat full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great people good culture career growth

Cons

No cons as of yet

"Anywhere else"

1.0
    Former Employee - Sales in Toronto, ON

I worked at BlueCat full-time for more than a year

Pros

The co-workers that aren't part of the clique and old boys network

Cons

Overpromise and flat out not deliver. Poor management and no vision.

"Great Place to Work for a Growing Tech Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at BlueCat full-time for more than a year

Pros

- The flexibility / freedom to take on projects. If you have an idea and build a case for it, management and the leadership team will support you. You'll have to seek out folks to help you achieve your goals but that's like anywhere else - The people! Being a global company, I had the opportunity to meet new people and make friends from all over the world. - The culture. The people team over my time at BlueCat really have done so much to build and improve the culture in the HQ office and also for remote employees. From catered lunches, to haunted houses on Halloween socials, they made going into work fun and enjoyable. - As with any growing company there are ebbs and flows of good times / bad times. In the slumps (which there may have been 2 in my 2 years there), the leadership team has done a great job in addressing employees' concerns head on. Continue to keep that up and I am confident that the company will continue on the right path. - Challenging work. DNS / DDI is a tough space to work in regardless of your department. If you enjoy problem-solving, collaborating with others in solving these challenges, then you'll love working at BlueCat. - Opportunities to grow. At least in my department there were many opportunities for progression / recognition. This may not be the case in other departments but we had a couple of folks get promoted or even make cross-departmental moves with full support of their managers / leadership.

Cons

- Product direction. To me this was a big challenge in the sense that the vision / strategic decision-making of why we built things the way we did weren't even really communicated clearly. They did hire a new CTO however so hopefully that will change in the next year. - If you're the type of person who doesn't like changing direction frequently or ambiguity, this isn't the place for you (or any other tech company really). There were a lot of changes in strategic direction which at times made it difficult to make progress on projects that were working. - HQ office location. If you live in the DT core, the office is at York Mills, so even though you do get the awesome tech office, you do miss the opportunity of being downtown in the tech hub of Toronto. However most managers were flexible if you wanted to attend events DT / or take networking meetings, or wfh.

Continue reading
  10. "Great culture, strong leadership, valuable outcomes for customers."

Current Employee - Account Executive in Toronto, ON

I have been working at BlueCat full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great catered lunches, extremely schools technology landscape and strong leadership.

Cons

Growing pains of a technology leader in their field.

Found 147 reviews