BlueCat Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated Feb 1, 2020

4.2
BlueCat CEO Michael Harris
Michael Harris
Pros
  • "Extremely convenient location, especially if one is living on a subway line(in 8 reviews)

• "Discounted breakfast and lunch options(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "We are in a period of rapid growth, so I suppose we might encounter some growing pains(in 5 reviews)

• "Product Management and Engineering departments need serious overhaul(in 4 reviews)

1. "2 years after and still the best"

Current Employee - Solution Consultant in Toronto, ON

I have been working at BlueCat full-time for more than a year

Pros

Management always engaged with its employees. They do care. Coworkers super friendly and always willing to help Company doing great. Lots and lots of customers and always growing and not growing without making money like other companies do. They are actually making money. Good pay and benefits. Lots of opportunities to do what you like. Work/life balance is great for me as they give you lots of time off for after-hours work, weekend work, ability to work from home, 8 personal days and vacation days.

Cons

Nothing really. Unless you have worked somewhere better you find cons. I haven't

BlueCat2020-02-01
  2. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Corporate Trust Administrator in Toronto, ON

I have been working at BlueCat full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good culture and nice team

Cons

Dont have any cons..

BlueCat2020-01-23
  3. "To find out pros and cons"

Current Employee - Technical Lead in Toronto, ON

I have been working at BlueCat full-time

Pros

Good place to work. Flexible work schedule. Ability to work from home. Pretty collaborative environment with all modern tools to let people communicate fast and widely across the company. There is no strict and deep management hierarchy, the structure is pretty flat and people are free to approach and talk to any level of managers. An atmosphere of professional democracy is always maintained. Wide spectrum of technologies involved. Lots of smart and professional people. The nature of development and tech.support work pushes all engineers to learn daily and gain deep and extensive knowledge through the core of OS/networking/cloud technologies. Very large customers with world famous names which bring so much of interesting and technically deep challenges and experience! It also brings a unique opportunity to have a wide professional networking with people in IT management and security teams across companies in all major industries.

Cons

While generally top managers show some care to the people they manage, from time to time they feel free to shuffle people as cards and/or kick them out like a meat. During such moments people loose in hours the the feeling of belonging to a good and supportive working family they were gradually gaining over months and years. Often shifts in general product visions. Business processes are not established well and kept changing more often than business views, which turns out to substantially slowing down the improvement and evolution of the main product lines, reduces competitive potentials in the market. Weak product management.

BlueCat2020-01-19
  4. "Headline"

Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at BlueCat full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great people good culture career growth

Cons

No cons as of yet

BlueCat2020-01-10
  5. "Anywhere else"

Former Employee - Sales in Toronto, ON

I worked at BlueCat full-time for more than a year

Pros

The co-workers that aren't part of the clique and old boys network

Cons

Overpromise and flat out not deliver. Poor management and no vision.

BlueCat2019-12-15

"Great Place to Work for a Growing Tech Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I worked at BlueCat full-time for more than a year

Pros

- The flexibility / freedom to take on projects. If you have an idea and build a case for it, management and the leadership team will support you. You'll have to seek out folks to help you achieve your goals but that's like anywhere else - The people! Being a global company, I had the opportunity to meet new people and make friends from all over the world. - The culture. The people team over my time at BlueCat really have done so much to build and improve the culture in the HQ office and also for remote employees. From catered lunches, to haunted houses on Halloween socials, they made going into work fun and enjoyable. - As with any growing company there are ebbs and flows of good times / bad times. In the slumps (which there may have been 2 in my 2 years there), the leadership team has done a great job in addressing employees' concerns head on. Continue to keep that up and I am confident that the company will continue on the right path. - Challenging work. DNS / DDI is a tough space to work in regardless of your department. If you enjoy problem-solving, collaborating with others in solving these challenges, then you'll love working at BlueCat. - Opportunities to grow. At least in my department there were many opportunities for progression / recognition. This may not be the case in other departments but we had a couple of folks get promoted or even make cross-departmental moves with full support of their managers / leadership.

Cons

- Product direction. To me this was a big challenge in the sense that the vision / strategic decision-making of why we built things the way we did weren't even really communicated clearly. They did hire a new CTO however so hopefully that will change in the next year. - If you're the type of person who doesn't like changing direction frequently or ambiguity, this isn't the place for you (or any other tech company really). There were a lot of changes in strategic direction which at times made it difficult to make progress on projects that were working. - HQ office location. If you live in the DT core, the office is at York Mills, so even though you do get the awesome tech office, you do miss the opportunity of being downtown in the tech hub of Toronto. However most managers were flexible if you wanted to attend events DT / or take networking meetings, or wfh.

BlueCat2019-10-25
  7. "Great culture, strong leadership, valuable outcomes for customers."

Current Employee - Account Executive in Toronto, ON

I have been working at BlueCat full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great catered lunches, extremely schools technology landscape and strong leadership.

Cons

Growing pains of a technology leader in their field.

BlueCat2019-09-20
  8. "Forward looking place"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Toronto, ON

I worked at BlueCat full-time

Pros

Smart people to work with, friendly culture Growing business Great perks and benefits, investment in employees Great internal tools and technology Beautiful office!

Cons

Not very clear career path for some roles More company-wide flexibility in work arrangement would be beneficial to suit different styles and personalities

BlueCat2019-08-01

"Great Company with ability to pivot and take action quickly"

Current Employee - Operations in Toronto, ON

I have been working at BlueCat full-time for more than a year

Pros

Things are always changing which makes work interesting and challenging. The company is very innovative; with the tools and ways they support us as well as the office itself. Its comfortable and very modern; standing desks and tons of collaboration spaces. The company is always evolving and the leadership is always looking for ways to engage employees and action feedback. All coworkers like having fun together; charity events, office socials, soccer clubs, company days at Canada's wonder land, Pride events - the people here are fun

Cons

If your uncomfortable with change this might not be the company for you. Our customers drive innovation in our product and there is a high expectation on people to elevate how we support our clients and the business. I thrive in this environment but some people are challenged by it.

BlueCat2019-06-26
  10. "Part Time employee"

I worked at BlueCat part-time for less than a year

Pros

- Ability to work on a number of different projects- relatively flat structure allows you to collaborate with many other employees ! - Wonderful culture and social support :)

Cons

- Sometimes difficult to get to know the product and the business ecosystem of the company

BlueCat2019-07-15