Blue Cross and Blue Shield of New Mexico Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

2.6
Kurt Shipley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Report Analyst"

Pros

Flexible in and out time for working. Decent pay. People are fun to work with.

Cons

management has changed. They don't care about morale. HR stands behind management even though they lied.

Advice to Management

Do not micro manage

"Sr. Supervisor/Unit Manager Telecommuter"

Former Employee - Senior Supervisor/Unit Manager in Albuquerque, NM (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Supervisor/Unit Manager in Albuquerque, NM (US)

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of New Mexico full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits were the absolute best I have ever had in terms of both health insurance & PTO but could not justify the torture to work there with management that was extremely non-supportive & oblivious to the workings or needs of the telecommuter employee. As a supervisor for telecommuter employees my direct reports were not included in various workings of the brick & mortar office. This was a real morale buster. This was also one of the best health insurance companies I worked for that really did care about their members.

Cons

The telecommuting concept was new to the program I was assigned to oversee. Top management had unrealistic expectations and no clue of the different type of work environment & adaptive measures that needed to occur to make things work in the most efficient manner possible. The program was implemented with extremely poor planning in terms of putting in place the right technology & policies & procedures. This however was not the main issue. To me the main issue was that top management was not willing to listen to the workers who understood the job, the barriers & actually had potential realistic solutions to problem solve. There were way to many chiefs at the top and not enough indians to get the job done. The organization was extremely fragmented & as a supervisor I was actually prohibited from calling other administrators within the company to problem solve. As an administrator there was no autonomy whatsoever. Also employees who did not work at the brick & mortar building had no chance to compete for promotions. If felt like you worked for a different company.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people who actually do the job. Happy employees who are allowed to have input feel valued & make for the most productive employees. Use other healthcare models to set up & compete for new government programs BEFORE they are actually implemented. Work harder to include outside employees & have less fragmentation within the organization. Supervisors need to be able to escalate issues to upper management as long as it is in a productive & professional manner. Supervisors should be given some autonomy & as long as the chain of command is followed should never be limited to whom they can communicate with within the company in order to bring constructive solutions to the table.

"All around bad company!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM (US)

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of New Mexico full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good Pay.. Enjoyed helping the clients

Cons

The company does not care about its employees or clients. The company has no "open door policy." They will come after you if you question anything they do, they will even make up things that are not true. If your a clients and have issues beware....they do not care about you. Very bad company from HR, to upper management down..

Advice to Management

Go back to the days that you cared about your clients and employees. All the bad reviews on here are so exactly true!!!

"Will eat your soul"

Former Employee - Nurse in Albuquerque, NM (US)
    Former Employee - Nurse in Albuquerque, NM (US)

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of New Mexico (More than a year)

Pros

Management is so disorganized that you can pick and choose who you want to listen to and how you want to work

Cons

disrespect of professional skills and knowledge, micromanagement of the little things, but no commitment to making it all work (having software that is dependable and has the functionality to do what is needed, job descriptions and tools and communication that let people succeed), little to no coordination between departments when planning or executing new projects

Advice to Management

1- You have great employees, use them. 2- Pay some $$$ up front for some working software, and training on how to actually use it. 3- Use project managers to ensure that all the needed departments are involved in decision making, instead of waiting till after the fact and doing salvage work

"So so"

Pros

Great benefits. ..supportive management. .training

Cons

Horrible computer systems and product

Advice to Management

Get a better comouter system and simplify plans

7. "claims examiner"

Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Albuquerque, NM (US)
    Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Albuquerque, NM (US)

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of New Mexico (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and flexible with schedules

Cons

Not much freedom in decision making, extremely tedious

Advice to Management

Provide more tools to succeed to goals

8. "Best job I've ever had (yes, even with the cons)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM (US)

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of New Mexico full-time

Pros

The pay and benefits are outstanding as is the opportunity to work from home. I feel very well supported by my colleagues and am surrounded by quality people. Excellent opportunities for growth if you are qualified and motivated to do so.

Cons

It is stressful and overwhelming at times just like most other jobs. Processes change constantly with no or minimal input from end users. Redundancy and frivolous documentation robs us of the productivity and output we are capable of delivering.

Advice to Management

Listen to those of us who work with the tools you develop and listen from day one. You will save yourself months of repetitive complaints and lost productivity by doing so. All new processes should be developed with the direct input of your troops on the ground. Give more of us a seat at the table functioning as a single team - from Directors to Health Coordinators. We are battling redundancies and frivolous processes that significantly impact our productivity. One week of honest directed problem solving input from end users would substantially enhance output and quality without having to spend another dime on outside consultants or third party contractors. We are already here - let us help solve our own problems.

9. "Good Job"

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of New Mexico full-time

Pros

Competitive pay, professional environment, opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Not enough communication between departments.

"Horrible organization - unethical organization that puts members last"

Current Employee - In Care Coordination in Albuquerque, NM (US)
    Current Employee - In Care Coordination in Albuquerque, NM (US)

Pros

My co-workers are a delight. Smart and knowledgable and helpful to one another
    At one time we had a supervisor that had our backs and worked with us to help our members -- sadly this is no longer true

Cons

members are last on the minds of the executives and BCBS and HCSC
    Big bonsus paid to Sr execs...I mean big bonsus
    Employees are treated like slaves
    Demands are unreasonable

Advice to Management

Wake UP! You are losing staff and membership to your competitors. Pay attention and listen to your managers and staff-- they are in the trenchs and know what is going on. This was a good company and now we cannot wait to find another position.

"What a horrible place"

Pros

If you like reliving your high school years of drama and cliques then this is the place for you

Cons

- the supervisors are micromanagers
    - The supervisors have their cliques and favorites
    - Will put you into projects with minimal training so you're completely lost and your ratings drop
    - wanting to back out of so projects will result in a write up.
    - They prefer you plan your time off . So calling in sick will get you in trouble. Nobody plans on getting sick.
    - supervisors have other people from teams to spy on you so they can report you
    - you are required to stay at your desk all day long. Long periods of time in the bathroom will be taken from your 30 min lunch.
    - I've noticed other people talking for long periods of time but when you get up you get in trouble. This is allowed if your in the clique of supervisors.
    - overtime hours are mandatory and it is constant.

Advice to Management

Get new supervisors and clean out your techs