Blizzard Entertainment Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.5
Blizzard Entertainment President and CEO Mike Morhaime
Mike Morhaime

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Blizzard actually wants to give employees a Work-Life balance" (in 36 reviews)

• "If you are looking for a work environment to fully 'embrace your inner geek" you don't need to look any further" (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • "Expensive cost of living in the surrounding area; the company does subsidize healthy food options in their cafe and vending machines in each building" (in 29 reviews)

• "You have to work really hard to exceed expectations which can erode some of the exalted "work-life balance"" (in 19 reviews)

"The job was amazing. The management, less so."

Former Employee - Specialist Game Master in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Specialist Game Master in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working for my favorite gaming company, good office location, got to work with many like-minded individuals, free games, and a plethora of other benefits.

Cons

The management doesn't care about the individual. I was placed on a shift that I was physically struggling to maintain and, even though I'd gone to my management about the problems I had multiple times, I was never offered any help. I was removed from special projects after being given impossible ultimatums and ultimately fired because of mistakes I was making due to a deteriorating physical and mental health.

Advice to Management

Care about your reps. Please. I wasn't the last person this happened to since I was fired, and I'm sure there are others currently suffering. Depression and anxiety are real things that should be taken seriously. Especially when a rep with good numbers starts to slip -- help lift them up instead of kicking them to the curb without so much as a Final Written Warning.

*Prior to being fired, I was not on a Final Warning. I went from a Verbal to terminated with no chance to speak up to defend myself, and though I was constantly reaching out for help with the situation I was in, no help from my leadership was given.

**A side note, it appears that my previous review had been deleted by the employer earlier this summer. Trying to sweep bad reviews under the rug is indicative of a sour leadership and HR team. I'll keep re-posting my review, as that is my right to do so.

"Like an awesome game with a terrible tutorial"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA (US)

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free games, a lot of amenities on campus, being involved with one of the most beloved game developers in the world.

Cons

This is not indicative of any game dev teams, more has to do with the STEM field. I really wanted to like working at Blizzard, but within a few month of me joining my position had changed and neither the 1st or 2nd team really gave me a good onboarding to have a base understanding of how they expect work to be executed on. Instead of management giving me guidance, which I asked for several times, they steered my projects out from under me which really left me no choice but to leave the company out of pure frustration. "Play nice; Play fair" was never in consideration for the teams I was on.

Advice to Management

Spend more time on growing your team members; have some faith in their growth as well as what their previous background may bring to the company.

"Great place to work, but has it's downsides"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Versailles (France)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Versailles (France)

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazingly passionate people all around you. Some of the best games in the industry. Stable job in a market that's known for instability. Great company values.

Cons

Loose interest in the games after working on them so much (personal, some people don't). Very complicated politics get in the way of getting things done. Slow moving, not really innovative. You're a small cog in a very big machine, so your contribution can seem less meaningful than in smaller companies. Most opportunities for growth are in Irvine headquarters. Lowish compensation compared to the market.

"Kindest & most authentic company I've worked for"

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time

Pros

Truly cares about making the best games they can, and bringing people together

Cons

None so far- It's exactly what I was looking for

5. "Keep it up"

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time

Pros

Great use of support and looks after their employees

Cons

Nothing bad really, it's a lovely place to work

Advice to Management

Keep it up

6. "Great Place To Work!"

Current Employee - ESports Coordinator in Irvine, CA (US)
    Current Employee - ESports Coordinator in Irvine, CA (US)

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You have the ability to create a vision and execute it in its entirety. The work environment is also great and some of the smartest and most passionate people on the planet work here. Plus people bring their dogs to work.

Cons

Its overwhelming at times because its not a cookie cutter company

7. "It's everything you think it is"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome environment, awesome tools, awesome people. Can't overstate the power of working on the games that you grew up playing.

Cons

Most technical jobs are only in Austin and Irvine (in the US)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

8. "game master"

Current Employee - Game Master in Cork (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Game Master in Cork (Ireland)

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is fun and epic.

Cons

You have to be a passionate gamer

9. "Great place to boost your PR career and awesome culture!"

Former Employee - Public Relations Manager in Mexico City (Mexico)
    Former Employee - Public Relations Manager in Mexico City (Mexico)

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to push your boundaries, experiment and succeed!
    My manager (senior lead in my department) gave comprehensive and ongoing feedback and expressed recognition when goals were exceeded.
    Salary and benefits are competitive for the local market (in Latin America, apparently not the same for California based colleagues).
    Team oriented culture, a lot of autonomy and opportunities to take your ideas to the next level.
    Very PR focused company, and a great company to do comms and PR.
    Incredible passion for what they do, their products, games, and company history.
    Very talented people in the Game Development teams and international publishing teams (Marketing, PR, Community, Biz Dev, etc)
    Work life balance is decent
    My team leader and senior regional leader encouraged team members to be bold and not to be afraid of trying new things. It's a great way to do "creative and bold" marketing and PR.
    Robust onboarding process.
    A lot of trust from middle management in the regions.

Cons

Interview process, hiring and oboarding can be tough for international workers where Blizzard does not have robust physical operations. Mine took over 6 moths for example. Company is improving in this regard and dealing with this growing pains however.

Small teams and flat structures... this is usually a plus! BUT in this case that puts serious limits on your options to grow and be promoted, specially in PR and Comms team, unless you relocate overseas.

A lot of confusion on what "Global" and "U.S" functions are, as an American company both terms are usually confused, particularly when developing "Global" plans and activities that in any other company would be considered solely "U.S. focused". North America (aka Global) teams while well intentioned, lacks understanding of other markets dynamics and global trends.

Several managers and even directors in senior positions (mostly in HQ) got there after many years in the company but lack advanced management skills or even technical skills gained through previous work in other leading global cutting-edge companies... IMHO talent/skills/exp. in middle management can be improved.

I used to do a mental exercise back when I was at Blizzard: if we were at a meeting and at the table we had the "Global (Marketing, PR, Communications, Biz Dev) Manager" from Blizzard (or one of our franchises) and at the same table we had the same/equivalent roles from other leading tech/digital companies (Amazon, Disney, Netflix, AirBnB, LinkedIn, Universal, Facebook, Apple, etc.) ... would we (Blizzard) have the best or at least top 5 best qualified and brilliant professional in the table? Most of the times I answered myself: I highly doubt it (not even close).

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work on your commitment to quality in your games and products!
    Keep putting the players first like you have always done. As a PR professional that those two were the #1 selling points that media and press recognize Blizzard for!) so... keep it up!

Keep being such an inspiration to the industry and to us all!

Do not compare or measure yourself anymore against other companies "in the industry", you have outgrown and beat this industry (EA, Ubisoft, Nintendo, etc).. your measuring stick should now be companies like the ones mentioned before, you are in the big leagues now! have been in there for a while now :) (enjoy it but don't lose sight of what comes next)

While I think it is GREAT to recognize loyalty and think of employees who have been there when senior positions open up... that may play against Blizzard's business strategy some times... look outside... look at other leading companies that are changing the way things are done and ask yourself: is my current roster of senior managers / leads/directors the best I can get? ...Go for brilliant professionals from other related industries: yahoo, amazon, Facebook, Disney, Netflix, etc.

"Cliche but it really is legendary"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The level of passion and skill that the majority of the people at Blizzard share make coming to work an pleasure. Every team I ever interfaced with it was apparent in most cases that we were on the same page even though we were on different teams. The collaborative spirit that is distilled from the top down around org goals that then get extended to division goals helps ensure that the right job gets done.

Cons

At least in the past (depending on the division one was in) the fact that you worked for Blizzard in many cases was used as a point in compensation and it helped skew compensation packages on the low side. Dev teams were/are mostly immune to this but some of the more general purpose roles were not. This may have improved in the last 3-4 years in order to retain talent.

Advice to Management

Keep doing all the little things that make people thrilled and honored to work there.