Blizzard Entertainment Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Blizzard Entertainment President and CEO Mike Morhaime
Mike Morhaime

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Cost of Living, Irvine CA is expensive (in 23 reviews)

• You have to work really hard to exceed expectations which can erode some of the exalted "work-life balance" (in 16 reviews)

"Great Company"

Former Employee - Game Master in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Family friendly company that is a great place for geeks and gamers
    Lots of great game-related perks
    Nice holiday bonuses
    Big-wigs actually *listen* to the little guys

Cons

No easy room for advancement from Customer Support
    Metric requirements change frequently

Advice to Management

'Grandfather' in some of the changes for advancement, rather than having "this" style one month, and suddenly changing it to "that" style

"Starting in Support -> Moved to Business Analyst"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Irvine, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Irvine, CA (US)

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Environment is wonderful. Geek or not, you will find others around you that are wonderful to talk to. There are so many days where it almost doesn't even feel like work! Especially as a geek, if you are talking to a customer - you're effectively talking to another gamer just like you. The spirits of everyone, and how teams get along was one of the best things I had experienced.

- Wear (pretty much) whatever you want. Don't need to be business dressed, or business casual, can wear and wave that favorite t-shirt of yours of your favorite band or game (obviously inappropriate things should be obvious here..). Just be at work, and be presentable. No need for uniforms or looking around for new clothes for a job.

- So many free benefits - from games, to clothing, to pretty much anything you can imagine (especially as a geek). So if you're a geek, you will love it.

- Friendly all around the company, and every voice even to the highest (CEO/President) of the company cares for your feedback. Does it mean that ALL of that feedback is going to be implemented, no. But it is wonderful to be able to voice things, and know that others care to hear them. Often times even resulting into some great changes.

-The company truly values their employees and their feedback. To the point that you will have game-time when available, to test out new aspects of a game that hasn't launched, or other things to help provide insight into what may need to change/improve.

-Reasonable hours/shifts for about any need. Early day, mid day, nights, etc. And always open on holidays for that double pay if you are scheduled/work for it!

-Sharing of revenue due to how well the business (and even you) are doing. At least yearly.

-Not on the phones? Listen to your favorite music all day, be more productive than you could ever imagine, and have your day swing by like nothing!

-Lots of Growth Opportunities

-Lots more.... but that is about the summary of it.

Cons

-Definitely lower on the pay-scale (even professional level) due to the amount of free perks, etc. So this environment/company may be perfect for some, and not so much for others.
    -Some things are a bit disorganized due to a lot of in-house changes and developments, instead of relying on people to do it for them. (but this isn't necessarily a bad thing either, just can sometimes become frustrating at times if impacting to you).
    -Lots of definition that does not exist for roles, sometimes departments, etc. Causing confusion within responsibilities/expectations, or ensuring the right people are notified/aware of the right things.

-HIRING PROCESS: This is by far the worst thing I have to complain about. Not only is it incredibly long to even find out if you are hired, but it can sometimes take forever (or never) to even hear if you're going to be interviewed. I'm not sure if denial letters are sent out, but it keeps you on this line of waiting for something to happen that you want/interested in, but have no idea what the hell is going on on their end. Feedback/status updates of the process would be helpful so that if denials happen, you know when to move on, or if not, you know to expect something like unknown callers, etc.

Advice to Management

Please Please Please PLEASE consider improving the hiring process. It is so painful to have that resume/cover letter submitted, and then never hear ANYTHING. Did I get denied? I have no idea. Has it even been read? i have no idea. Am i a potential candidate? I have no idea!!!

The process is long enough as it is, having some feedback intervals would be very helpful.

"Great Company, Bad Department"

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time

Pros

Culture and Perks are great

Cons

Unwilling to grow salaries for long term veterans to keep pace with those recently hired at a higher starting pay than the veteran earned over years of great performance

Advice to Management

Swallow your pride and do what is right by your veteran employees

5. "Best company Ive seen"

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time

Pros

Blizzard has made AMAZING products and I wish to work with them.

Cons

At first, you dont get payed much there.

"My Dream Come True Working at Blizzard Entertainment"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Irvine, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Irvine, CA (US)

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Culture and Core Values
    - Leadership
    - Excellent Benefits

Cons

- Cost of Living, Irvine CA is expensive.

7. "Great Company"

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, talented and passionate people.

Cons

Work life balance. Many long hours

8. "Good in certain cases"

Current Employee - Associate Program Manager
    Current Employee - Associate Program Manager

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of company perks and fun events

Cons

Can be difficult to get things done or have a clear understanding of expectations

9. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Game Master in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits, fun, always new, great environment

Cons

Fast paced and high expectations leaves little time for rest.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

10. "Amazing"

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time

Pros

Amazing company to grow with. Was always a fun of WoW and when I got hired, I was part of the team that developed Overwatch. Best opportunity in my lifetime.

Cons

Nothing! I promise you it's the best company ever.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"Great Work/Life Balance and Company Culture"

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time

Pros

- Company stands by their Core Values and actively fosters them, which is very apparent when interacting with coworkers and people across the company.
    - Awesome perks on campus including: Cafe, Starbucks, gym, basketball court, volleyball court, workout area outside, library, professional development workshops, yoga studio with a variety of classes, company events and celebrations, and much more!
    - Awesome perks off campus: Attending BlizzCon, annual family company event each summer and other events for employees, seeing people get excited when you tell them you work at Blizzard!
    - I feel like there's a lot of room to grow a career here and to constantly be challenged to learn and grow
    - Internal mobility is really great, especially for employees who are getting burnt out in a specific role, or find a new passion for another discipline.

Cons

- The pay isn't bad, but not as great as one would hope. The base pay is generally lower than other game companies, but some of this is made up in the yearly bonuses that occur.
    - It can take time to see change occur because it has to go through upper management, but this is pretty common in most corporate companies that are as large as Blizzard.